12+

The Cobra's Cage: Chpt. 1

by GoldFlame

It's doubtful I'll ever slip back into this novel, but I thought I'd try, so here it is again. Nitpick your heart out. ;)

---

Siv

"I'm heading back." Phoenix hesitated. "Listen..."

"What?"

"She's only gone, here, in this world."

My eyes opened. Suddenly the trees were coathangers, and the snow films of dust; the entire graveyard, a wardrobe, tucked away in an abandoned room in an abandoned home.

"Siv, you have two days left."

When someone died, Candon, the agency I called family, allowed their friends a fortnight to recover. That meant it'd been twelve days, twelve days since I'd been notified Scarlet died on a mission, but until last week, it was too strange to grasp. Scarlet dying? Never.

Then the agency located her corpse. Her funeral was held yesterday, here, in this graveyard.

I'd been shocked. I'd simply stood and stared, limbs stiff by my sides, airways squeezed too tight for me to breathe. Broken pieces of their lies lodged in my brain. She died an honorable death. She lived a wonderful, happy life. We will all treasure her in our hearts forever.

Phoenix

I was pacing my room when dizziness overcame me. Not the lightheaded kind, that you get from spinning around, but the everything's-a-blur kind. I staggered toward what I assumed to be my mattress, my stomach's contents spilling over into my throat.

And onto the carpet.

Soon everything was glazed with my bile, glistening sickeningly in the sunset. I could hear my doctor's voice: Symptom Four of grief. God, Phoenix, get over this girl.

I tried sitting up, but my stomach heaved again. Blood soaked my tongue and lips. Why didn't I listen? Why didn't I distance myself?

The questions were rhetorical, but my conscience answered anyway. You're a coward.

That was right. A filthy coward. I still remembered when I met Scarlet. My first month at campus. She was a year older, which made her more attractive at the time. Her hair color reflected her name, curling under a broad jaw, and there was something entrancingly womanlike in the graceful arch of her eyebrows, the throb of her tenor voice. She offered me her affections. Who could've blamed me for accepting them?

Siv

Feces caked their faces. Some were mangled beyond recognition, some wholly relieved of their flesh casings. I imagined them crowded together, voting on who the next meal should be. Only two corpses were perfectly preserved.

I wanted to run. I wanted to forget I'd ever been here, but Father's arm entwined my shoulders. It sparkled, I saw, as if studded with miniature diamonds. Diamonds trailed by saltwater rivers...

"Maybe," he croaked, "maybe there are still survivors."

Then, struck by impulse, he waded into the sea of gore.

"What are you doing?!" I was tempted to leave him wandering the bodies. Any moment now, a hand would leap into the air.

Thank God, I was wrong. It was a spine.

My heart broke through my ribcage. As Father screamed, I searched for a handhold on the cliff. This was what the Javulans had reduced us to--animals.

.

I started. Phoenix was curled up by what used to be Scarlet's mattress, muttering to himself. Sunbeams striped his limbs, the ripe gold characterizing noon.

"What're you doing here?"

He glanced over. "Thought you'd appreciate some company. Nightmares?"

"How did you--?"

"No use dwelling on the fact that she's gone. They're expecting us to be back to normal by the day after tomorrow."

Back to normal. What qualified as normal in Candon? In an agency bent on cleaning the land of monsters?

Phoenix turned to face me. His eyelids sagged, but otherwise, he seemed perfectly normal. Happy, even. He'd arranged his hair today so that the auburn streaks were visible. "I watched griffins sweep through the clouds, building up supplies for winter. Huh."

"Are you reading my--?" I swiped at him, but he danced away, laughing.

"You've a knack for recounting details exactly as they occurred."

"Where'd you find it?!"

"In the loose floorboard." He smiled. "Here's everything I said yesterday, word for word. Have you always had an eidetic memory?"

My anger dissolved into surprise. "No."

"No? 'I never said goodbye,' he--"

But a baritone voice cut him off. No, cut was too crude a word--too crude to describe how each syllable caressed my eardrums. Ribbons of them snaking around my skull, flattening my emotions, while simultaneously polishing the messages my brain were scheduled to receive. Never had a scent been sharper, or the air been crisper, or colors been more vibrant, pulsing within their boundaries.

Agent Praus, report to Room 702.

Then the voice drained into my consciousness. Not even the ghost of an echo remained. My five senses promptly re-pieced themselves, retightening their grips on my brittle flesh.

"Siv?"

My jaw unhinged, but no sound escaped.

"Did--what'd I say?"

"Nothing," I managed. "I--I've been summoned."

Irritation vibrated in his sigh. "You better go. The Director isn't a patient man."

Pompadour wrote a review...

Heya! Thought I'd pop by for a review!

Okay, so I'm reviewing as I read, and whoa. The way you use imagery is brilliant! Your first few lines captivated me, and the image formed was really very vivid. I could gush about it all day! It made me think of ivy, somehow, and old forgotten memories trailing through the dusk... minutes that seem like months, and oh, gah. I think I'll just get to the actual review now! :)

shattering me with laughter, an ancient spirit locked in a young body.

Comma splice! I think a semi-colon would be more appropriate there, or a co-ordinating conjunction.

You probably already know, but a comma splice is when two sentences -- with two different independent clauses -- are meshed together without a proper conjunction, or punctuating device. You can read up on it here or here.

I was half-tempted to leave him wandering the bodies.

This sentence didn't flow right for me. I read it in my head, and then read it out loud. Maybe because the way you've stated it changed what you've actually meant to imply? "Wandering the bodies" sounds like an exploration of the human anatomy. That might just be me, but it sure sounded like it. This can be fixed easily if you add "amongst" or any other suitable word there, so the result would be: "wandering amongst the bodies."

My five senses promptly re-pieced themselves, retightened their grips on my brittle flesh.

Wheep. Another comma splice. a semi-colon would work better instead of that comma, methinks.

That's it for technical errors!

Okay, so I love the fluidity of your dialogue! It's very natural, and the characters were in full-form! There was a lack of description when it comes to setting, because although we've become acquainted with the idea as a whole, and the whole fantasy/ science fiction set-up you've got here, the fact remained that I don't know how to envision Asiva's surroundings in that first POV (I'll call it an installment so I don't get confused. :) ) The way you described the sky was simply lovely, but I need to be able to see the graveyard. What's it like? You mention snow, but it's pretty vague. I want to see some of your beautiful imagery play a part here. I dunno, something like: "the snow was mocking me, settling itself like dust on the bare branches of the trees, which were old and gnarled, and surrounded the graves like a wooden fortress." Or the snow could be described as a curtain; the end of Act One, hinting at something deeper than mere life and death. Symbolism, yay!

Er, sorry for the super-long lecture. I hope it helped, anyway.

On a side note, the inner voices of your characters come out pretty strong. I like that. The pacing was spot-on, and I'm off to read the next chapter!

Keep writing! Keep up the wondertastic work!

Cheers,

~Pompadour

GoldFlame says...

Thank you so much :D! I'll definitely use this in the editing process. That's weird; I didn't receive a notification ...

GoldFlame says...

Oh, quick thingy: An independent clause consists of a subject and predicate, meaning it can function alone as a sentence. I tend to leave out conjunctions, though; thanks for pointing it out! I'd never be able to notice it on my own. Awful habit of mine. :D I love receiving reviews that delve into grammar!

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:33 am
Hayley3142 wrote a review...

Ok, so, allow me to begin by saying that you have earned my utmost respect, via the fact that your sentences were flawless in syntax, grammar, and spelling (that's rare to find amongst young people nowadays). Secondly, this is a beautifully worded story. I was left hanging on every sentence, every word. The only improvement I think could be made is the explanation of the events of the story. It was a bit unclear and confusing at first, but everything else was basically perfect. Good job. :)

GoldFlame says...

Thanks! :D

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:15 am
Snowery wrote a review...

Hey Flame!! Silver here to review as promised!! :)

Wow this was brilliant. I know it's been said before but your use od=f description and imagery was awesome. I'm given the feeling that you've put a lot of time, effort and care into your work. Your pacing was on song and really I have nothing negative to say which the others haven't already said.

The only thing though was that I felt that Pheonix's p.o.v was sort of irrelevent and didn't really lend anything to your story. The great thing about multiple p.o.vs is that they allow the reader a different kind of insight or another pair of eyes to get information that they wouldn't have by just having one character. All I gained from Pheonix's p.o.v was that he was racked by grief but that was also something I could see from Asiva's p.o.v. It would have been much better if you added something we couldn't get from Asiva like little details of his relationship with Scarlet.

But really that was my only problem and it wasn't even a big one. I really like how this time you dropped hints and signs of what's going on and where they all are. Just by reading this piece alone I can I magine where they are and what it's like. Great stuff. Happy writing!! :) :)

Silverlock

GoldFlame says...

Thank you!!! This'll be a huge help in the editing process.

Silverlock says...

No worries! :D

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:10 am
jls1638 wrote a review...

First of all, I love the details. You have a knack of lacing your stories with poetry and description better than I've read in a long time. I love the story line. The only thing that i found confusing is knowing who she is talking to and the separation of the characters. Though I think that the more chapters I read the easier it will be to distinguish so I wouldn't worry too much on this point.

The next thing that I will mention is that while your description is impeccable, I would love some more details around where the people are speaking, it would allow better distinction of the characters and bring out their personality a lot more.

I like the way you set this up. Mainly with the facility they are in. You hint at a group that runs their lives because they are orphans. I think that this is a great way to approach the explanation of the society that these people are living in. It's also a lot easier than the way many people try to explain it (through extensive pages of detail) and that can be really boring and encourage readers to skip over it. So I am glad that you chose this way of presenting how the society works. I can't wait to learn what else is different in this world that they live in.

I will warn you, when you have multiple people's point of view in a chapter can be confusing for the reader. It works for this chapter but I wouldn't change perspectives too often.

Either way I loved the first chapter and am going to read the second. You should definitely continue writing. It's rare to find such impeccable description in writing and you execute it well. Good luck, keep up the good work, and try not to get discouraged by any lack of reviews.

GoldFlame says...

Thank you :P! This was so insightful. You zoned right in on my main weakness--characters and setting. I love your suggestion on giving them distinct voices. Once again, thanks!

jls1638 says...

Your welcome, I didn't put a lot on your second chapter but I love that you have so much description. That is often one of the main issues I see so it's my main critique so it was refreshing to read something that was a little more detail oriented.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:14 am
Deanie wrote a review...

Hey Goldflame!

This is going to be another one of those stories that are so hard to review because they're so good! You've got a great way with words, everything is so descriptive and flows naturally together. The story makes sense so far, and because it's the first chapter there is so much unknown and the story can go any way. It's interesting when you gave a dead character in the beginning... there may be many flashbacks to come.

One little nitpick...

Why didn't I listened to them?

It should be 'listen' in this case.

Also, I would've liked if you'd described the setting more. I can tell they're not in the type of place I would usually know because they hear voices in their mind and there are monsters in their world. Knowing that, I wanted to know what their world looked like. So maybe you should start having hints of the setting in here, and then more of it in future chapters? That way you avoid a info dump later on if you do add in setting?

It's interesting to see how their system works different from ours. Missions to get rid of monsters, symptoms of grief and 12 days to mourn? It's all new interesting aspects of their society, and I can't wait to see what you come up with next ;)

I don't know if I have much more to say. This was a pretty good chapter in itself, and a nice ending to it. Moving on to the next...

GoldFlame says...

Thank you!!!

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here for a quick review!

Oh my gosh, this is so perfect! The pacing is so wonderful, and everything is so vivid. Your imagery is so amazing. Its like I am watching a movie! Nothing seems to be lacking in description, and I love how you pace everything!
Another thing I love in this is that your character doesn't just do, she thinks as well! That is something that I think lacks in many stories, but not this one! Your story seems to be like a mix of fantasy and Sci-fi. Correct me if I am wrong, though.

This review won't be very long, because there isn't really anything to critique! I will look everything over really carefully to hit spots I think might need touching up, but it seems as though you already spent a long while working on this to make it perfect!

Each minute collapsed into folds around me, entangling my limbs. ---That is a wonderful description, but doesn't make much sense... Time entangles her limbs?

an ancient spirit locked in a young body. ---Another part that doesn't make sense. It almost reads like it was accidentally thrown in there, because what does that have to do with the laughter?

How many days could have passed? ---Days could have passed what? You start, but never finish that

Since I am going in order, I will comment on Phoenix's section now... It seems too short too me, and doesn't give enough detail on him. I want to know the character, and I need more than a few paragraphs to achieve that!

"No? "I...I never said good-bye," Phoenix--" ---That part needs some touch up with quotation marks and the like... It is sorta confusing the way it is

I am sorry this review is so short. There was barely anything to critique! This is going to make spotlight. At least, it should. It was brilliantly written and beautifully descripted!
~Timmyjake

GoldFlame says...

No, you guessed right! :D Fantasy and sci-fi. Thanks for the review!

timmyjake says...

Yep! :D

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
— Plato