12+

The Little Red Box

by WintryOz

A haggard soldier clutched at the red blotch that was forming on his khaki and brown shirt. He didn't have much hope left; that much was obvious; he was losing too much blood.

His brothers in arms could not afford to shed tears or even spare a glance at their friend as he fell.

The man was simply known as six-five-three - his corporal number. If one inquired beyond that, they would find out that he was also called Pale Face. How he came by that name, nobody knew. The black haired youth's face had no remarkable complexion at all. He was certainly not pale-faced.

He had acquired many scars that made him look much older than what he really was. His black hair had greyed prematurely and his hands were calloused from all the labour he was made to do. His unshaven appearance added several years.

The soldier was twenty one years and nine weeks on the night of his death, and his name Brandon . A . Klensing. Like all the other dead men on the battlefield, he too, had been a little boy once.

***********

There was once a window in the threadbare room that one could look out of and watch children frolic and play on the swings and slides.

The window was barred shut. All windows were, nowadays. Stray shells could break the glass and injure the inhabitants. The only way the household could know when to begin the day was to listen for when the gunfire became louder. Not that there would be much to look at.

The playground had become an amalgamation of rust and overgrown creepers. Children didn't play there anymore - there were no children anymore, to indulge in silly games. After all, childhood is the kingdom where mothers and fathers and people who matter do not die. Ever since the war began, not a day had gone by when people didn't fall to their deaths in droves.

The house itself was run down. Paint flakes dusted the floor and stuck to the soles of worn out boots and shoes of those who were fortunate enough to be able to afford them. The window glass was milky and cracked. Carpets were unrecognizable and the kitchen was a disaster. Bedrooms were seldom used. Nightmares plagued sleep and nobody liked to sleep at all.

It was in the midst of all this that Little Bran snored sweetly on the little metal cot that creaked with every jostle.

His faintly smiling face was untainted by the horrors that the world around him bore. He was weaned off milk in a few months after his birth and at the age of five, he still sucked his thumb in his sleep. Nobody quite had the heart to deprive the child off his one guilty pleasure.

It was not quite dawn yet, but the war resumed, and decibels rose, and the nurse ushered into the room to wake Little Bran up for school.

Little Bran had neither a mother nor a father. Even though he had no photographs of them, as no one could afford them, he still had vague memories of them. He had their hand prints on a piece of paper he stored carefully in a little box that he always fastened around his neck. It was a memoir that he cherished with all his heart.

The dark haired boy threw his usual tantrum and clung to the nurse's legs, refusing to go to school. It was the glimpse of her disappointed expression that finally sent him packing.

It was hard for Little Bran to make himself go to school, but did so anyway because his nurse was the only adult who loved him and he hated to disappoint her.

"I'll go to school, Grace. But please give me your hand print to keep," Bran smiled and dimpled. He pointed hopefully at the little red box.

Grace was always telling him that he mustn't play childish games, but this time, she obliged, shaking her head. The middle aged woman brought out a sturdy piece of cloth and bottle of ink and gave her hand impression to the bouncing boy.

The other children were sullen and joyless, and the teachers were mean and strict. He would grit his teeth through it, if it would help make Grace happy.

When things got difficult, Bran would close his eyes and pretend that if he couldn’t see anybody, then nobody could see him.

*********

Bran treasured Grace, and he treasured his little box more than anything in this world. Fortune does not always like to smile, though.

Fourteen year old Bran headed towards the marketplace where he had agreed to meet Grace.

He walked there with his arm linked with Sarah’s, a special friend of his. They chattered animatedly, and Bran watched Sarah laugh at a little joke with a small smile that brought out the happy child in him. He touched the little box around his neck. Not long before, he had added her hand print to it too.

They marched down the road which was meant to take them to their destination.

All they could see was smoke.

Something was very wrong.

The air was sooty and felt chaotic as the boy and his companion began to panic.

"Grace! Where's Grace!" there was a hysterical note to his voice as Bran sped towards the wreck that was once a thriving market. Somebody in the crowd held him back to give way to people carrying make shift stretchers.

The sight made his heart stop. A mangled body journeyed it's way down the street on a stretcher carried by four men.

Grace.

There was not a chance that the charred figure that lay in the stretcher still bore any life. Bran slumped to the ground and buried his face in his hands.

He sought the comfort of Sarah's arms and embraced her. He fingered his little box. It weighed down on him more than ever. Yet, it gave him strength. He rushed forward to help get the little ones out of harm's way and into the medical centres.

For months, people had rejoiced that the war had ceased. From what the bomb blast suggested though, it never had.

The little red box saw him through Grace's funeral. It saw him through the unkind glances and cruel words spoken. Most of all, it gave Bran strength to put on a brave front for Sarah's sake. It also gave him courage for what he was about to do.

**********

Brandon lied about his age. That was the only way he could get into the army. It had not been a difficult process. Judging by how many of the trainees had not even sprouted facial hair yet, he can't have been the only person to have done so.

The hardest part of it all was convincing Sarah to let him go. He had to promise that he'd come back. It was a promise he couldn't keep. It simply wasn't in his power.

Brandon became part of a war he didn't even understand the cause of. All he knew was that he was fighting for the loved ones he had lost - his parents, and his beloved Grace. He knew that he was also fighting for the future he could have with Sarah. Maybe they could get married someday. They would have such beautiful children.

Brandon stood in line for the final evaluation before he was assigned a squadron and sent to the front lines.

Brandon was nervous. He was afraid. He pressed the little box that hung around his neck to his lips and murmured a little prayer. He shut his eyes and went to another world. It was a world where his parents knew and loved him and where Grace and Sarah were by his side.

He smiled. He took control of himself and passed the test with flying colours.

The downside was that he would be assigned to the most dangerous team in the army. He welcomed it though, he wanted to make good the deaths of all those people he knew - neighbours who wrinkled their noses at him and refused to give him food on those poverty-stricken nights when he was forced to beg, and classmates and teachers who had leered and jeered at him. He had to do justice to Grace.

It was in this squadron - squad fifteen, that he acquired a new name - six-five-three.

**************

It was Ralph who gave Brandon the name "Pale Face". He had never divulged his reasons for the bizarre nickname, but the name had stuck. Ralph was in turn, called "Nightingale". This was no mystery though. At least, not to the ones who had endured his drunken nights. The sound of the man's voice made donkeys stop their braying and bow to their ruler.

Nightingale and Pale Face became fast friends. They bickered like brothers and counted on each other to have their backs during battle.

They were inseparable. Naturally, fate had to try and pry them apart.

The fateful mission took place in a safe house surrounded by marshy land all around. Enemy spies had been sighted nearby and five members of Squad fifteen were dispatched to storm the house and flush it.

The beginning of the mission was miraculous and flawlessly executed. The squad members patted themselves on a job well done as they entered the house. What they hadn't realized was that it was a trap; an ambush.

Bullets poured and echoed off the empty rooms and the young men dove for shelter and were forced to retreat. Not Ralph. Being the headstrong soldier he was, he tried to put up a one man fight. Before they realized he was not with them, it was far too late.

Bran wished he could have said goodbye. He wished fervently that he could've at least brought his friend's body back. He cursed at his own inabilities. There was one thing he was glad for, though - the muddy hand print of his dear brother that he had coerced him into giving during one of their last days together.

Once again, the little red box was the tonic that saw him through the funeral. Bran became a little boy once again. He shut his eyes and imagined that nobody could see him but the ones he saw - Grace, Ralph and Sarah. He fancied that his mother and father were present too.

*****************

Bran was twenty years old by then. Old enough, he deemed, to make a man out of himself. So Bran proposed to Sarah, and she accepted, with tears streaming down her cheeks in joy. They celebrated for a little while and decided to get married as soon as possible.

It was a quiet ceremony with no witnesses, save for the neighbourhood dog. The best man's seat was reserved for a dead man, and an invisible spirit walked the bride down the aisle. They had no money for rings or a minister. For this, they made do with the love they bore for each other.

It was a rainy and stormy day. Yet, for Brandon and Sarah, it was the most beautiful day ever. Their love was sweet in the night.

The euphoria was short lived, though, for Bran had to return soon afterward. Nevertheless, the two of them found happiness just by thinking of each other in times of peril. They would shut their eyes and drift to a warm place where the world was an exciting song, and where they could sleep summers away beside each other without a care in the world.

**************

On the thirty first of July, six-five-three received a strange letter. It was seven weeks past his twenty first birthday. The letter bore no signature. There was a strange blob of ink on it. It looked almost like a little child's palm. Bran had taken one look at it and had nearly wept. Not out of despair, but out of jubilation.

The letter bore nine words written in a feminine hand.

Her name is Maisie. She has her father's eyes.

*************

Two weeks later, six-five-three was the one who lay bleeding. Brandon was in a happier place. Pale Face was with him. Bran now beheld everything he ever had, and he laughed and wept at the same time. He was mad with the freedom he had obtained.

Father.

Mother.

Grace.

Sarah.

Ralph.

Maisie - my dear Maisie.

Six-five-three clenched his hand around the little red box one last time, and smiled. He closed his eyes and lay still.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:07 pm
ShortBus wrote a review...

I thought this was a really good short story. There is room for improvement, but there always is. I'm not going to point out all the grammar mistakes, and the like, I think JoeBot does a pretty thorough job of that.

This is just my opinion overall on short stories, but I think that they should be as graphic as possible. There is really no room to form a visual in the readers mind, because there isn't as much content as in a novel. Therefore you really need to pound those visuals inside the readers yourself, with a lot of force.

For instance, your first sentence.

"A haggard soldier clutched at the red blotch that was forming on his khaki and brown shirt."

That does explain what is going on, but it's kind of vague in description. We know that the soldier is a male, because you said "his" at the end of the sentence. But when I started to read it, I only knew it was a soldier. I didn't know if it was a male or female, or what time period it was, so I really had no visuals in my head at all.

When you said "clutched at the red blotch that was forming on his khaki and brown shirt."

Ok, I know he's wearing khakis and a brown shirt and that he is bleeding. You don't mention where. It's most likely around his waist, but is it on his front, side, or back?

One more thing to nitpick, is using khaki. Unless I'm wrong, khaki is a material. You can have khaki pant, shorts, jackets, the list goes on.

I don't mean to just pick on your 1st sentence here. This goes for all sentences ever written. There are certain things that you need to keep in mind for what ever you're writing. (For me personally, that comes at the rewriting stage)

I hope you get what I was trying to spew out of my brainhole. I don't review often, and I don't always know what I'm saying, so take my advice with a grain of salt. ☺

But again, good story, I liked it.

WintryOz says...

Hmm... I think I get what you've said. I'll be rewriting the story soon, so I'll try making things more descriptive and graphic.
Khaki is a colour. I'm pretty sure of that. It's the colour worn in the army for camouflage.

Thanks for reviewing ^_^

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:52 pm
joebot wrote a review...

I prefer to put my thoughts into a story as I read it. All comments and edits will be in brackets. A [x] means I deleted something. If a sentence begins with a [?] it means I have a comment at the end.
This review is full of nothing more than opinions. You don't have to take any of my suggestions.

[Name] [it would be far more dramatic if you started off with a name. Give the audience a moment of attachment, even if it's just to a number. The number aspect would also add a bit more of an immediate shock] clutched at [his khaki shirt, where a] red [blossom] [x] [had begun to form]. [Hope had swung away from him, in that little moment.]

His brothers in arms could not afford to shed tears or even spare a glance at their friend as he fell. [Describe how the battlefield scene goes on around him, to root the audience into the violence that's taking place]

The man was simply known as six-five-three[. It was] his corporal number. If one inquired beyond that, they would find out that he was also called Pale Face. How he came by that name, nobody knew. The [x] youth's face had no remarkable complexion at all[, and certainly not pale.]

[What was remarkable about him had been such:] had acquired many scars that made him look much older than what he really was. His black hair had [grayed] prematurely and his hands were calloused from [hard labor]. His unshaven appearance added several [more] years.

The soldier was twenty one years and nine weeks on the night of his death[.] [As a child his] name [had been] [Brandon A. Klensing]. [Because] like all the other dead men on [that] [descriptive word] battlefield, he too[x] had been a little boy once.

***********

There was once a window in the threadbare room that [looked out onto a playground.] [Most days there were] children [who would] frolic and play on the swings and slides. [no new paragraph] The window was barred shut. All [the] windows were[x]. [?]Stray shells could break the glass and injure the inhabitants. [if the windows are only barred shut, doesn't that mean there'd still be glass? Are they paved over with sheets of metal?] The [x] gunfire became louder [at certain times of the day]. [Why would people start their day when the gunfire got louder? I may not be connecting all the dots yet] Not that there would be much to look at.

The playground had become an [simplify] of rust and overgrown creepers. Children didn't play there anymore [x]. Childhood is the kingdom where mothers and fathers and people who matter do not die. Ever since the war began, [there were no children.]

The house [x] was run down. Paint flakes dusted the floor and stuck to the soles of worn out boots [of those who could afford them, and the bare soles of those who couldn't]. The window[s were] milky and cracked. Carpets [had long ago rotted away,] and the kitchen was a disaster. Bedrooms were seldom used. [People didn't like to sleep much.]

It was in the midst of all this that Little Bran snored sweetly on the little metal cot that creaked with every [small movement.] [no new paragraph] His faintly smiling face was untainted by the horrors that the world around him bore. He was weaned off milk in a few months after his birth[, yet] at the age of five[x] he still sucked his thumb in his sleep. Nobody quite had the heart to deprive the child off his one guilty pleasure.

It was not quite dawn yet, but the war resumed, and [simplify] rose, and the nurse ushered into the room to wake Little Bran up for school.

[I'm not sure how I feel about him having "Little" in front of his name. We'll see if it grows on me.] Little Bran had neither a mother nor a father. Even though [no photographs existed and his parents had not been an exception to this], he [did have] vague memories of them. He [had vague memories, and he] had their hand prints on a piece of paper he [folded] carefully in a little box [x] fastened around his neck. It [never left his person.]

[?]The dark haired boy [Are you talking about Bran here? Or another child? I can't tell. I would call him Bran if this is him, and find another way to describe him later] threw his usual tantrum and clung to the nurse's legs, refusing to go to school. It was the glimpse of her disappointed expression that finally sent him packing.

"I'll go to school, Grace. But please give me your hand print to keep[.]" Bran smiled[, dimples rising from his cheeks]. He pointed hopefully at the little red box.

[A deal was a deal.] The other children were sullen and joyless, and the teachers were mean and strict. He would grit his teeth through it [if it made] Grace happy. [But one those hard days,] when things got difficult, Bran would close his eyes and pretend that if he couldn’t see anybody, then nobody could see him.

*********

He walked there with his arm linked with Sarah['s], a [ very ]special friend of his. They chattered animatedly, and Bran watched Sarah laugh at a little joke with a small smile that brought out the happy child in him. He touched the little box around his neck. Not long before, he had added her hand print to it[,] too. [no new paragraph] They marched down the road [to where?][x] [turn a corner, the sky comes into view]

[Smoke rolled into the sky in opaque blooms]. [x] [no new paragraphs] [A rush of wind came down the street, carrying] air [filled with soot.] [Bran dropped Sarah's arm.]

"Grace[" he called hysterically. "]Where's Grace[?]" [x]Bran sped towards the [burning market. Tendrils of flames and billowing smoke swallowed whole buildings]. Somebody in the crowd [pushed Bran] back[,] [and he saw a makeshift stretcher coming his way]. [no new paragraph] [His heart stopped]. A mangled body journeyed it[x]s way down the street on a stretcher carried by four men.

[It was] Grace.

[Sarah rushed to him and he] embraced her. He fingered his little box. It weighed down on him more than ever. [But the weight gave him power. His fingers lingered over the surface for a moment before he opened his eyes. Grace could wait]. He [pushed himself back into a stand and] rushed forward to help[.] [He rushed into the smoke and led] the little ones [out of harm's way until they were all safe[.] When the fire finally flickered into nothingness and the world was filled with an uneasy calm, the pit opened again and he grieved.]
[I would take my time to describe him saving some of the kids. You could go in and have him save one, and then go in to save another child and from there summarize. You had great tension there, I wouldn't let it fizzle out so quickly.]

For months, people had rejoiced that the war had ceased. [But that] bomb blast suggested [that it still wasn't over].

The little red box saw him through Grace's funeral. It saw him through the unkind glances and cruel words spoken. Most of all, it gave Bran strength to put on a brave front for Sarah's sake. It also gave him courage for what he was about to do. [Oooooh, I like this.]

**********

Brandon lied about his age. That was the only way he could get into the army. It had not been a difficult process. Judging by how many of the trainees had not even sprouted facial hair yet, he [couldn't] have been the only [one][x].

The hardest part of it all was convincing Sarah[x]. He had to promise [her] that he'd come back. [Of course, he didn't have that much power.] [x]

Brandon became part of a war[, but the only thing] he knew [about it] was that he was fighting for [a future with Sarah and for] the loved ones he had lost - [mostly,] his parents[x] and his beloved Grace. [x]

Brandon stood in line for the final evaluation before he was assigned a squadron and sent to the front lines. [no new paragraph] [He] was nervous. He was afraid. He pressed the little box that hung around his neck to his lips and murmured a little prayer. He shut his eyes and went to another world. It was a world where his parents knew and loved him and where Grace and Sarah were by his side. [He thought about Sarah then -- he knew they would get married one day. They would have such beautiful children.] [no new paragraph] [Bran] smiled. He took control of himself and passed the test with flying colours.

[He was] assigned to the most dangerous team in the army. He welcomed it[x] He wanted to make good the deaths of all those people he knew - neighbours who wrinkled their noses at him and refused to give him food on those poverty-stricken nights when he was forced to beg, and classmates and teachers who had leered and jeered at him. He had to do justice to Grace. [I don't quite get the connection between being in danger and making sense of hardship and death. If this wasn't intentional, I would clarify.]

It was in this squadron - squad fifteen, that he acquired [his] new name - six-five-three.

[OOOOOH! The audience remembers the opening but this is when the realization really hits!]

**************

It was Ralph who gave Brandon the name "Pale Face". He had never divulged his reasons for the bizarre nickname, but the name [x]stuck. Ralph was [x] called "Nightingale". This was no mystery though. At least, not to the ones who had endured his drunken nights. The sound of the man's voice made donkeys stop their braying and bow to their ruler. [ha!]

They were inseparable. Naturally, fate had [stepped in].

The fateful mission took place in a safe house [in the heart of a marsh]. Enemy spies had been sighted nearby and five members of Squad fifteen were dispatched to storm the house and flush it.

Bullets poured [great imagery] and echoed off the empty rooms[.] The young men dove for shelter[,] forced to retreat. Ralph [had other plans]. Being the headstrong soldier he was, he tried to put up a one man fight[, and by the time Bran noticed his absence it was too late].

Once again, the little red box was [a] tonic that saw him through [another] funeral. Bran became a little boy once again. He shut his eyes and imagined that nobody could see him but the ones he saw - Grace, Ralph and Sarah. He fancied that his mother and father were [there,] too.

*****************

Bran was twenty years old[x]. Old enough, he deemed, to make a man out of himself. So [he] proposed to Sarah, and she accepted, with tears streaming down her cheeks[x]. [x]

It was a quiet ceremony with no witnesses, save for the neighbourhood dog. The best man's seat was reserved for a dead man, and [his] spirit walked the bride down the aisle. They had no money for rings or a minister. For this, they made do with the love they bore for each other.

It was a [x] stormy day. [describe the weather -- clouds, temperature] Yet, for Brandon and Sarah, it was the most beautiful day ever. Their love was sweet in the night.

The euphoria was short lived, though, for Bran had to return [to the front lines]. Nevertheless, the two of them found happiness[x]. [When things were at their worst,] they would shut their eyes and drift to a warm place where the world was an exciting song, and where they could sleep summers away beside each other without a care in the world.

**************

On the thirty first of July, six-five-three received a strange letter. [He was twenty one at the time]. The letter [had] no signature [but he knew who it was from right away]. There was a strange blob of ink on it[, resembling a small five-fingered leaf]. Bran [took] one look at it and [x] nearly wept. Not out of despair, but out of jubilation.

The letter bore nine words written in [a curly slant].

Her name is Maisie. She has [your] eyes.

*************

[It was] two weeks later [that the bullet entered his chest.] [But the man who lay bleeding in a pallid shock was ] six-five-three[x]. Brandon [was gone.] [He] was in a happier place. [x] [He] now beheld everything he ever had, and he laughed and wept at the same time. He was mad with the freedom he had obtained.

Father.

Mother.

Grace.

Sarah.

Ralph.

Maisie - my dear Maisie.

- - - - - - - - - -

Wow. Ha, wow. The ending was intense. Despite knowing exactly where it was going, his death made my gut sink. I liked this story a lot.

I think what you did by starting with his death and ending with his death was incredibly effective for building tension. I was impartial to the dead soldier at first, but then I grew attached. I do think you shouldn't reveal outright that Bran is the dead soldier from the beginning until he's assigned the number. That would give the audience an "oh no" moment.

My greatest criticism would be this: most of this story is telling, and not showing. I think a huge improvement you could make would be to go in and present this story only in vivid scenes, instead of scenes among summaries. Instead of saying Ralph gave him the nickname, do a whole scene of Bran's first day and the hearty man who picked on him and called him Pale Face. Instead of telling us that Sarah is a special someone, throw a scene at us showing Bran nervously asking if she'd like to take a walk. The story-telling works well, but I think you would really have something special if you tried snapshots instead. Let the audience connect the dots.

Every time something good happened to Bran, it was bittersweet. I got this awful sinking feeling. You could really take advantage of this and make it a focus of the story by shining a bigger light on his good fortune. You should build on how promising his life is. Three is the magic number in writing. As it stands, you have the wife and the baby. Throw a house in there. Have him marry the girl, then mention how they managed to get a place really cheap from a friend. Then he goes back out to the front lines and receives news of the baby. That magical three will click and create "perfection" in the reader's mind. It will make his death all that more tragic.

I was a little thrown off by how often you changed people's names. Bran, Brandon, Pale Face, six-five-three. I would cut out Brandon and Pale Face from the whole equation, though you could maybe keep Pale Face if you did the snapshots and put focus on it being something only Ralph and the others in the squadron called him. I was also was confused by Ralph and Nightingale. I would stick solidly with Ralph.

This story is very good, and it still has potential. I'll be happy to look at it again if you decide to build on it.

WintryOz says...

Thank you so much for the edit <3

I agree with most of your suggestions and will put them into the story when I rewrite it (probably in a week or so, after my exams).
I wrote this story for a contest, which had a word limit, so I couldn't really fit in the thing with Ralph and Sarah as seperate "incidents". I think I will do that in the rewrite though - thanks for the suggestion.
The idea about the house is really good as well. I shall be stealing it :P (the idea, I mean).
Well, the nicknames are confusing I suppose, but they are necessary, and so are the birth names. Do you have any idea how I ought to tackle that? Would it help if I introduced him as Ralph, and then spoke about how he got the name, and then consistantly called him Nightingale? I'll call him Ralph again during the funeral as a mark of respect.

Do you think it would be alright to expand the story? With all the new suggestions I've received and the ideas I have, it looks like it'll become twice as long as it is now. Wouldn't that be a complete drag?

P.S Sorry for badgering you with questions.

joebot says...

No problem <3

Aaaahhh, the word limit makes a lot of sense. Yeah, I encourage you to go back and revise. A great story is written more than once. And it's more like a gift than stealing ;)

I think you can make the multiple nicknames work if you expand the story. In such a condensed form, you were forced to use a different name every couple of sentences. If you change that to different nicknames every couple of scenes (and clarify the first couple of times for good measure) you could probably do whatever you'd like.

Definitely expand! Give it room to breathe. A long, deep story is better than a short shallow one. This isn't necessarily shallow, but I see a lot of places you can dive further into and I personally think you should do so.

And don't worry about the questions at all. I enjoy the conversation.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:14 pm
vedmathai29 wrote a review...

It was nice. But some general pointers. There were some spelling errors, but I will let someone else point them out for you. The idea behind the story good, using the little red box and the palm prints as recurring objects at different places was a good one. But you could try to bring some more connection to the box in the story, try to ask yourself, why the box, why couldn't it be a tatoo with their names, or a wristband. Try to explain why it could be the box and only the box in the story and not something else.
That being said, the ending was quite foreseeable. Try something different like, before he died, he put his own palm print in the box, and buried it. Only to be found later and discarded as junk. So you see what meant so much to somebody was just junk to someone else. It gives a twist to the end. A very very subtle one, but leaves the reader satisfied. The point with twists is that, if by 3/4th of the story I can predict the end, then I am going to feel bored, but if there is a twist, it keeps it fresh till the end. So try that, when you write your next short story.

WintryOz says...

I'm pretty sure I checked the spellings and removed all my mistakes, so I am rather puzzled by the statement.

Well, I have said in the story that the box was left to him by his parents. It just happens to be a box. It could very well have been something else. Maybe I should make it clearer.

That is a valid point about the ending. Thank you for pointing it out to me :)
I will work upon that.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:04 pm
Shindig wrote a review...

The unique title and your opening paragraphs convinced me that I should review this piece. Overall, I enjoyed the somber tone of the story, and I thought your descriptions were very captivating! Particularly:

- This one stuck with me:

- This was well said, and the whole scene was was compelling, I could easily imagine Bran's confusion and sorrow:
A mangled body journeyed it's way down the street on a stretcher carried by four men.

- Great metaphor here:
the little red box was the tonic that saw him through the funeral

- Thought this was short and sweet (literally).

---

Anyway, I could go on, but on to a short critique:

- In the following quote, I recommend changing "the black haired youth" to simply "the youth", since you describe his hair again in the next paragraph. There were a couple of other instances where a description felt repetitive. I can't point them out now, but you might notice while editing.

The black haired youth's face had no remarkable complexion at all. He was certainly not pale-faced.

He had acquired many scars that made him look much older than what he really was. His black hair had greyed prematurely and his hands were calloused...

- I felt the following was contradictory, so I would consider revising the description or the scene:
... Nightmares plagued sleep and nobody liked to sleep at all.

It was in the midst of all this that Little Bran snored sweetly on the little metal cot that creaked with every jostle

- I think this line would be stronger (and more grammatical) if it ended at "understand":
Brandon became part of a war he didn't even understand the cause of.

- I did wish there was more to his death, as it felt kind of out of the blue (aside from the fact that it was foreshadowed earlier). But I guess it just goes to show how unpredictable, and often meaningless, war can be.

And in retrospect, the story felt like a homage to really any soldier who died in battle, encouraging us to remember them for the way they lived and not the senseless violence of war to which they fell victim.

Thanks for a good read!

WintryOz says...

Thank you so much for all those pointers. I will work on them when I edit (I shall do so very soon)

Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:46 pm
Bugslake wrote a review...

This was amazing, you could totally imagine the pain that this man had felt as he grew up. You could totally experience what he felt as he grew up and the different scenes were perfect. In the end here was a perfect sadness as well as a sort of release.

There weren't any errors that I could find. You wrote excellently and I'm glad that I got to read this.

WintryOz says...

Thank you :)
I'm so glad you liked it ^^

This looks like a really bad episode of Green Acres.
— David Letterman