z

Young Writers Society



The eleventh child

by Mystique


This is from the point of view of Mariam,a fifteen year old girl who was always called a 'harami' (bastard) by the only person who cared for her in the world- her mother. One day, she goes to visit her rich father's house 2 kms away despite her mother saying ' i will die if you go'. She realises that her father didn't really love her and was ashamed of his illegitimate child and she returns to find that her mother has hanged herself.

Would it have been the same?

If I had listened to what she had said,

If I had stopped to consider her plea to stay,

If I hadn’t cast them off.

Engulfed in the lies in a fantastic world,

Enveloped in a happiness that was born out of penance.

I was drawn, drawn afar.

Pulled into it by helpless longing.

Was it wrong? Was it a crime?

To want to have a chance,

To want to believe, to want to hope.

It must have been,

For my very existence has been a sin.

I knew not the true ways of the world,

I knew not how to see through the mask,

I had looked at it all through the eyes of a child,

And that was how I lost it all.

I failed to see what was really mine,

I failed to realise whom to trust.

She asked me to stay,

And I left her.

Only later did I realise the true price of that mistake.

But should I not be glad? Should I not rejoice?

That finally, I had seen him for what he really was.

That I had understood what he did was out of guilt,

That behind the calm words lay the shame.

He said ten, but there were eleven.

Cast out, out of his mind,

Cast out, out of his, my father’s true family.

While I waited at the gate every Thursday,

While I counted every second, hoping it would last,

He counted the moments it would take,

To be back home where his heart lay.

For he counted ten when there were actually eleven.

And I bet my heart on him.

So on that night, when I returned,

I had thought about what I would say.

Would it be an apology for abandoning her?

Or Would I just try to avoid her?

She had said that she was all I had.

It was too late when I realised the truth of that.

For the chair lay upturned, the branch unmoving,

The house was empty, but the tree held a body.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
129 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 129

Donate
Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:54 pm
ulala8 wrote a review...



I was speechless as I read this. It tugged at my heart strings in a way that I can't begin to describe. This was a fantastically emotional piece. What makes everything just that much more emotional, right now I am sitting in a church.
I only have one nitpick for this beautifully sad piece. I suggest forming this into stanzas. This just for an appealing look. You could possibly elongate this and add in a few metaphors or strong images, other than 11 not 10.

Thank you for this beautiful poem.




User avatar
317 Reviews


Points: 20
Reviews: 317

Donate
Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:13 pm
lostthought wrote a review...



......................................................................That..was..amazing. (Notice I was wordless for a long time)

Well I am here to review your poem. Btw, Welcome to YWS! It is nice to see some new faces, no? This is good for someone who is new to YWS. Well with a reviewer's mask on I can gladly say that I saw nothing misspelled or grammatically incorrect. Here we see through the eyes of a illegitimate child who goes to visit her father despite her mother's warnings, only to come home to feel hated by her father and see that her mother had hung herself. This really brings meaning to the phrase mother knows best huh?

Keep writing! You are quite the poet.

~lost




Mystique says...


thank you so much!! :D



Random avatar

Points: 1090
Reviews: 5

Donate
Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:27 am
edwino wrote a review...



wooooooooooooooooooow! this is awesome i think it is making great sense..
always happy to read inspirational things like this ,although i am not a lover of such but truely you did very well,would love to read more of this next time..... just happy you could produce such a wonderful work, it could refresh thew heart you know(smiles deeply)... it was fun reading your work.... keep it up..this is the booooooooooommmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Mystique says...


thank you so much!! this is the first time i based a poem on a story that i've have read, glad you liked it!! :D


Random avatar
edwino says...


correction...... iLOVE IT.



Mystique says...


:D :D



lostthought says...


I find it easier to write poems or stories if you just use tibits of ideas from other stories or poems. Still this was pretty awesome.



lostthought says...


I find it easier to write poems or stories if you just use tibits of ideas from other stories or poems. Still this was pretty awesome.



lostthought says...


I find it easier to write poems or stories if you just use tibits of ideas from other stories or poems. Still this was pretty awesome.



lostthought says...


I find it easier to write poems or stories if you just use tibits of ideas from other stories or poems. Still this was pretty awesome.



lostthought says...


I find it easier to write poems or stories if you just use tibits of ideas from other stories or poems. Still this was pretty awesome.



Mystique says...


yeah! i do that often, my friend calls it plagiarism :P




You know what the big problem is in telling fantasy and reality apart? They're both ridiculous.
— The 12th Doctor