Teardrops On My Guitar

by KnightTeen

Heartbreak-a strong feeling of sadness or disappointment.

I slam the dictionary shut, wondering why I even thought about looking it up. Sadness? Disappointment? That doesn't even begin to describe what I am feeling now.

He looks at me

I

Fake a smile so he won't see.

We hang out. It's normal for people who've known each other for over a decade. It would look weird if we didn't hang out. And that's the last thing I want. If things start to look weird then everyone would know. And I would for sure be screwed.

It's so easily simple that it's heartbreaking. We make small talk, chat, do the normal things that we do. But we don't go any deeper then that anymore. I make sure we don't. If we even tried to go beyond what we are now, I would break. And I can't do that to him or to myself.

There are moments when I feel like I'm about to shatter, and it takes me a few seconds before I'm okay. Walter doesn't even notice. He's so oblivious sometimes it pains me to be around him. I want to scream and rail and hit him, but I don't. Because then he would ask me why. And once I told him we would never be able to speak again.

Smiling is easier now. It used to be hard at first, but recently I've had a lot of practice. All he needs to know that everything is okay, so I make sure that it is. I hate feeling like this, I hate loving him and not being able to tell him. But it would hurt him and Kelli. And I love them both, and can't do that. No matter how much it hurts me, or hurts Sam to watch me hurt, I can't speak up about this. It would destroy everything.

She looks so beautiful

when they go walk around

And she's got everything

that I have to live without.

Two years. That's a long time to love someone and never tell them. But that's just who I am. Secretive. Quiet. I hide what I feel because I'm not willing to be vulnerable, to show weakness. So I act strong even though I'm dying inside.

I hate the way he deals with his relationships though. Dating one of our friends only to break up with her since, "She's not the one God wants for me." only to begin dating another mutual friend less than three days later. We're going to have a little talk next time I see him. He truly is tactless.

But I'd be lying if I said he didn't love Kelli. Because he does love her, I know him, he really does. And I am happy that they are happy together. I'm jut not happy that they're together. Maybe it Idoesn't make sense, but this whole situation has hurt too many people already. It's only a matter of time before it claims the next victim.

And is it the love that he is looking for? I have no idea. This looks to much like a rebound to last, and then they will both be hurt and things will be weird and God, I just can't deal with it any more. It's hard enough to love him and watch him be with other people, but when they start destroying each other I have to draw the line. I feel so helpless as I watch him go down this path.

It is hard enough to have to watch them get together, but knowing that the only way that this is going to end is by me telling him what I think and losing him, or him hurting Kelli and everyone around him again like he did with his ex. And I don't like the sound of either of those outcomes.

He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar

the only thing that

keeps me wishing on a wishing star

He's the song

in the car

I keep singing

Don't know why I do

I cry a lot when I'm alone and no one is watching. It's simple, to fall apart where I know that no one can see. It doesn't take much to get me started ether, all I need is a glance at their latest Facebook post and I'm sobbing.

I don't know why I hurt this much. I don't know why I feel this way. All I know is that I love him. And he doesn't love me. And I think that I'm okay with that. I've always been everyone's friend and no one's girlfriend. I've accepted my position. But that doesn't make it hurt any less. It doesn't make the smile any less fake. Believe me, if there was someway around this, if I could stop feeling like this, I would. But I can't.

Kelli would kill me, I know because I know her. The last thing I want to do is lose her as a friend. I only just got her back. But I think this is the only way. And it rips me in two, but I'd rather have her only lose me then lose something that she can't get back.

He's the time

taken up

but there's never enough

And he's all

that I need to fall

into.

I hate myself sometimes, for loving a guy who doesn't love me back. Feelings don't just go away because you want them to, however. And maybe someday he might care about me the way I care about him. I hope that he'll open his eyes and see me eventually. Hardly likely, but can you blame me for hoping? I want him to so bad, no matter how unrealistic it seems.

Loving him is hard. All it seems to do is hurt me. But the little moments I get where we are hanging out and happy make everything else go away for a little while. And in a way, while they don't make it any better, they make it worth it.

He looks at me

I

fake a smile

so

he

don't

see

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:36 am
wallflower16 wrote a review...

I'm a huge Taylor Swift fan and I think you really did an excellent job of giving your story a song. Or should I say giving her song a story. It was very relatable too. The only thing I'd recommend is to break up verses a little more so that it's less lyrical and more prosaic. Otherwise a beautiful and heartbreaking tale. Keep up the good work!

Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:03 pm
charmyvora wrote a review...

you know what i so fall into a similar situation :/
i mean i could actually understand each and every word of it ..
it brought tears in my eyes becuz ik how it feels and in fact m dealing with it at the present ..
it feels horrible when someone you love loves someone else ..

i LOVED YOUR WORK.. IT IS FAB! <3 :D

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:40 pm
nanya wrote a review...

i related to this part so much. it practically summarizes my life story.

Beautiful ending to the whole story. i love the concept and creativity of using her song as a platform for your story. KEEP WRITING !

Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:45 am
beeyaay wrote a review...

this is awesome. I'm an all time Taylor Swift fan and i could totally relate with the song. recently i tried doing something like this on my article, i used the song fearless but it was nowhere near this, this is beautiful. i like your intermediate use of the lyrics. your punctuation and grammar is okay. a few mistakes here and there but i could understand, totally beautiful. keep writing!

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:23 pm
ShonenChicoBoy wrote a review...

This was pretty good, even though I hate Taylor Swift. Anyway.

I've always been everyone's girlfriend and no one's friend.

I think maybe you meant for that to be the other way around.

The only other thing I noticed was that you use "to" and not "too" in one spot. "To sad" or something, but it should be "too sad."

Very nice though, I see that you have a lot of practice turning songs into stories, and they're all pretty good. :)

It says, "I've always been everyone's friend and no ones girlfriend". I think maybe you read it wrong unless they changed it already

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:10 pm
EscapeToNeverland wrote a review...

Hey it's Neverland here to review you piece.
I'd just like to start off by saying I like how you picked a song and then made it into a short story. It's very creative. I like it. I suspected it when I saw the title, and then in the first few lines. Though I knew it when I saw the verses.

I think you wrote this beautifully. Though it was a little confusing, but not in an over whelming way. And the way you put parts of the song in there was quite nice. It made it seem more real for me.

Though in my opinion it sort of sounds like your talking from experience a bit? Might just be me? I believe this to be a short story that could quite easily form into something much larger..... *Hint* *Hint* But of course you wouldn’t be able to put song lyrics throughout the whole thing.

You made some grammar and punctuation mistakes. Though I was very surprised to see that you didn't have one spelling mistake. So for that I congratulate you!!! Though you fell down at one point. You started off by talking about what you were doing. Then you converted to talking about how you feel, and what you think when you see him with something else. Maybe you should take a look at that.

Anyway, this is me for now. So goodbye and good luck with writing, I look forward to reading more of your work.
xx
~Neverland.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:27 pm
Gravity wrote a review...

Okay. So this seems more like a journal entry to me than a short story. I'm not a fan of Taylor Swift because of her newer stuff, but when she was writing her music and had an original sound I liked her. I do like this song. However, you need to make a line at the beginning or the end or in your description that this is based off of that song.
When you mention Walter's name, It's out of the blue. You only mention his name once, and then you don't mention it again. Since you mentioned Kelly, I think you should mention "Walter" more than one time. The other thing is some minor grammar and spelling errors. You misuse the word "that" more than a couple times.

But I'd be lying if I said that he didn't love Kelly.

Take "that" out and your sentence is lovely. The thing is, you begin a paragraph with this. You need an introduction. Say something like "He's with Kelly now, and it tears me up." Then proceed to say "But I'd be lying if I said he didn't love her, because he does." So something like that.
I can't point out all of the errors but here is one more that made my OCD run away screaming :D
This looks to much like a rebound to last, and then they will both be hurt and things will be weird and God, I just can't deal with it any more.

The first thing I would like to point out is "to". It should be "too". And it's a run on sentence. So here. It would sound better like this.
"This looks too much like rebound to last, and then they will both be hurt. I know when this happens things will be weird and God, I just can't deal with it anymore."
The only thing I would like to point out is at first, you make it seem like Walter and Kelly love each other. Then you say that this is just rebound for him. So you contradict yourself. Choose one or the other.
Other than that, I thought this was a good piece. It had a lot of feeling and thought put into it, and I thought the song lyrics were a nice touch. You really did well, so keep writing. The only thing that can really bring you down is your grammar. So good job :)

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:14 am
Archer wrote a review...

Not exactly the biggest fan of Taylor Swift myself, but I do enjoy mash-ups (mixing together a song and a story)! However, I think you should probably leave a quick note either at the beginning or the end giving proper credit to Taylor Swift.

Anyhow, the story definitely read like a Taylor Swift song, which is exactly what you were going for so it works. There were a couple of issues though that I saw:

I hate myself sometimes, for loving a guy who doesn't love me back. But he might, someday, and I hope that one day he'll open his eyes and see me. Hardly likely, but can you blame me for hoping?

I point out this paragraph particularly because a lot of the other paragraphs have the same problems. Grammatically it's alright, but it's kind of all over the place syntactically. There's a lot of conjunctions, and the sentences frequently go back and forth. For example, the first sentence might be better worded as, "Sometimes I hate myself for loving a guy who doesn't love me back." That way, there's a steady progression to the order of the sentence.

In the second sentence, the second repetition of day isn't necessary, and I'm also not sure if the first clause is all that necessary ("But he might someday"). Instead, maybe reword it as "Yet I hope one day he'll open his eyes and see me"?

However, I do think you captured the voice of the narrator very well, and I really like how you mash-up the song alongside the story.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:53 am
TimmyJake says...

What? A song by Taylor Swift? I must have missed something. But I don't listen to her, anyway. Great job making a story of a song, though!

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:26 am
Bugslake wrote a review...

I'm sorry. Not a big fan of Taylor swift. I do like that's fact that you made an entire story from a song. I just wish it hadn't been this one. Other than that brilliant job with everything else. I didn't see any grammatical errors. There weren't any spelling errors either. Keep writing things like this, it is very interesting and I like the idea.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:54 am
leilamuir says...

I enjoyed this alot. This is probably one of the best story of this type I've read in a long time.
Good job!

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:53 pm
TheMissingPiece says...

I Loved it! A-MAZ-ING.

timmyjake says...

timmyjake says...

Whoops. Comment is in the wrong place. Sorry.

You are not the voice in your mind, but the one who is aware of it.
— Eckhart Tolle