Home » Literary works » Poetry » Fanfiction

The Spark

by Abigail2911

In the eyes on the people

Terror builds

So much they can't sleep

Can't smile

Can't live

They try to fight back

But they're too weak

They try to back down

But they're too strong

One spark sets off a steady flame

And the flame gets increasingly stronger

And they're shocked that one tiny, little spark

Could do that much

It's what they've wanted for so long

To see one, just one spark

And now that spark is

a beacon for hope

So, with hearts ablaze

And an unclear mind

They begin to understand what

"Revolution"

Truly means

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:54 pm
thegirlwhowrites wrote a review...

Hi,
I'm a huge fan of The Hunger Games and I must say I really liked your poem. You were able to capture all the images in my mind from the story and I could see your poem as if the movie were in front of me.
I think that by repeating 'the spark' throughout the verses you were able to emphasize the whole message of your poem, how this spark is just the beginning of a "Revolution". I would just say that maybe to connect more with the reader I would add what this 'spark' consists of (without being blunt). Maybe add a verse of how these rebels' lives changed with this 'spark' and how it ignited them to start this war.
You transmitted a very clear feeling just from the beginning and I think that is something crucial when it comes to poetry. I immediately got a jab of sadness in my stomach from the first lines; but I loved how you were able to transform this into a feeling of hope just at the end with the last four lines.
Overall I think you did a great job!! Bye *three fingered salute*

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:24 am
Pompadour wrote a review...

Hey there, Abigail! Hunger games, eh? I loved the first two books! ( Don't get me started on the third one or it'll lead me towards a mini-rant. -_-) Anyway, I'm here to review!

So first off, I absolutely love the ending! It just wraps everything up. And I'd have to say my favourite bit was this:

They begin to understand what

"Revolution"

Truly means

There's a small typo here though, and you might want to correct that because it kinda ruins the flow of an otherwise beautiful emotion:

In the eyes on the people

"on" should be "of" here instead.

Also, since you have punctuation in a few places (commas, etc) you might want to have periods, semicolons and the lot elsewhere too. Otherwise your poem has this incomplete feeling hanging about it.

I love how you stay so loyal to the central idea behind Catching Fire, and yet your poem has this... originality, I guess you could call it. It had this spark to it! (No pun intended.)

Overall, good job and keep writing!

Cheers,
~Pompadour

Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:51 pm
deleted5 wrote a review...

Hai there! Alex here!
OMG THE HUNGER GAMES <3
Ah hum...
I really like this poem, it really makes me feel like pulling out a big red flag and singing things... :D
I like the message in the poem, that an entire revolution can be set off by a tiny spark! Really good!
Just a few pointers to make this poem a bit better, after all, it wouldn't be a review then!
1.You need commas or periods at the end of most lines, poem rules :D
2.Some of the lines are very short and it looks very strange when some lines only consist of 4 words.
Besides that, this poem is really good! A very good fan fic!
If you want, ignore what I said, this is your poem after all!
Alex out, beep.

Abigail2911 says...

Thank to so much!!

Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:38 am
AlfonsoFernandez wrote a review...

Hello there, here for another review!

I loved this poem, especially since I love the Hunger Games as well, but apart from that it really was a good poem. I like how the whole poem is centered around the theme of fire.

They try to fight back

But they're too weak

They try to back down

But they're too strong

This is my favorite part of the poem. I really like the "cause and effect" here, and I find these verses really memorable.

Again, it might be better if there was punctuation, but if your style is without punctuation, then it is also fine. I didn't see any obvious spelling or grammatical errors, good job!

And now that spark is

a beacon for hope

Also I think that you should capitalize the second verse, for every other verse is capitalized, except this one.

But that was all the mistakes I found, and this was a very good poem. So congratulations and keep writing.

-AlfonsoF, member of the Apple Dumpling Gang

Abigail2911 says...

Thank you!!!

Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:00 am
MysteryMe wrote a review...

Wow... I can't even review this because I love it so much! I'm seeing Catching Fire in a week or so, and this just makes me even more excited for it!!! So beautiful, and it definitely connects with the main theme of the Hunger Games Trilogy. The words were short, but that was the beauty of it. I just loved the flow, the wording, and practically everything else. I think my favorite lines would have to be...

"They try to fight back

But they're too weak

They try to back down

But they're too strong"

Honestly... it was stunning. It really sums up everything, and it's so well written. Gah... I just love that line so much. Beautiful :). The ending was also really great, and it definitely tied together the entire piece.

Well, that's all I really have to say. This wasn't much of a review, but I just want to say good job. Loved it. Keep writing!!!! :D :D :D

Abigail2911 says...

Thank you so much!

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson