Asenath:Tears on the Sand Chapter 6

by Aravis10

The blazing red sun burned through the window right on Asenath’s face. The heat called her to wake up. To wake up to another day closer to death.

She slowly sat up on her pallet. The same picture greeted her that had greeted her for the past year. A simple mud hut. Two pallets. A dirt floor. A stone for grinding wheat. A small mirror and a table with the bare grooming necessities. And Oni making wheat cakes over a small fire.

Yes, things had changed for Asenath. Now, she lived on the back corner of her father’s property. A wall surrounded the hut, its meager garden, and a tiny pool cutting off Asenath and her one companion, Oni, from the rest of the world. It was quiet, but that was the way Asenath liked it.

“Good morning,” Oni smiled. “Have a wheat cake. I put a bit of honey in it since today is your seventeenth birthday.”

“My birthday or another day, it does not matter to me. Help me get dressed.”

“Yes, my lady.”

Asenath got up and sat before her homely dressing table and mirror. Her surroundings had changed and so had her appearance. She had forsaken the fashionable wig and had let her hair grow out. Its glossy streaks hung about to her shoulders. Her skin had become smooth and golden from hours in the sun, and her eyes were not masked by makeup. She wore only a thin silver chain on her neck and a plain white tunic accented her formed, yet strong features.

Oni looked at her mistress as she combed her hair. In Oni’s opinion, Asenath was lovelier now than she had ever been. . If only she would smile.

The way Asenath looked now even appealed to herself. Looking at myself looks less like a lie now.

Inside Asenath, there was a pain too deep to describe. Oni could sense it. It was as if Asenath lived inside herself. Or inside her paintings.

That was the only thing that Asenath seemed to enjoy doing. After breakfast, she always went out to the wall and painted. The scenes Asenath painted had a sense of a melancholy beauty about them. Looking at them made Oni want to cry and laugh all at once.

Today was no different. Asenath went to paint while Oni began to spin linen.

The thoughts that ran through Asenath as she painted seemed to replay her life over and over. But she thought mostly of the gods.

How she had grown up serving Ra.

How the fear of the gods had first forced her to strive to marry the Pharaoh.

How hundreds of Africans sacrificed their childrenfor a god.

How Ra had taken Amnon.

Anger filled her. Anger not at herself, her parents, or the Pharaoh, but at the gods.

Curse the gods. Let them strike me dead. The gods may exist, they may not, I don’t care! I will not bow to their statues. I spit in the face of the gods until they prove until that they are real. So come Ra! Send fire from the sky. Smite me with a plague. I will wait. Take your time. I’m not going anywhere. There. The challenge is set. Asenath smiled inwardly. Now we prove who is the real captain of destiny.

Days past, then months. Asenath waited for the gods to prove their reality. But nothing significant happened. She saw no one or nothing for six months. Yet, one day something unexpected happened.

Asenath was out painting again, but, today, she felt exposed. The thick wooden gate of their compound had fallen down in the last sandstorm, leaving a gaping hole.

Of course, no one will come by here. It is too far out of the way.

She continued painting and totally forgot about the missing door. That was, until she heard the galloping of a horse. It was a sound that she had not heard in years, and it triggered excitement and dismay.

Who could it possibly be?

She turned, dreading to see who it was. To her surprise, it was an Egyptian man that she had never seen before.

He rode astride an Arabian horse; he wore a cloth around his waist in the Egyptian fashion with a red mantle and a gold clasp. His muscular chest was bare. Though he was not richly clad, he was handsome.

But one thing caught Asenath’s attention more than his clothes or athletic features. It was his eyes. They were confident, but not proud. She could see that this young man was determined. Somehow, he had a sort of trustworthiness about him. When he looked at her, something inside her tingled.

“Maiden.” His voice was authoritative and warm.

She bowed her head. “Lord.” She felt his look. It was not one of lust, but of pity.

How different from other Egyptian men! But, no! Don’t think of him. Don’t be hurt again.

“Don’t call me lord, maiden, for I am just a slave.

A slave! But he holds himself like a king!

“Please, could you tell me where the house of Potipherah is? I’m afraid that I have lost my way,” he asked.

“Indeed, you have. You are far out of the way! But if you follow this road to that grove,” Asenath pointed to a cluster of trees. “Then, turn left and ride that road. You will find the house of the priest.”

“Thank you. I must be on my way.” With a nod, he rode away. But as he galloped away, he turned and called back, “May you learn to smile again!”

Asenath blushed.

Oni, who had seen the whole thing, grinned.

How could he have known? What was his name? And why did he seem so... diferent? Forget about him. He is a slave. You won’t ever see him again.

But try as she might, Asenath could not push him out of her mind. Nor could she forget him over many years.

Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:44 pm
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here :3

So this chapter certainly seems to have a different feel to it. Asenath is not in the same environment she's been in for so long, and she's changing. As I read through this (and the next two chapters), I get the vibes of a slow change in her already. And I think her... reduced circumstances help with that. Because before all this, what reason did she have to change, really? To become a better person? Uh, none. Before all this happened, she had everything on her lap - the best of everything, really. The men of Egypt drooling over her and fighting for her attention, and even going so far as to call her a Goddess. I think if things changed so drastically, and so fast, that she would have a hard time at first. Like, possibly begin to go insane for a while. Going from having everything to nothing within a day would completely rock her world so much. Gosh, everything would just be a whirlwind of emotions.

And so that is one thing I am not seeing quite as much as I would like. And I am not talking about descriptions as much, which I am seeing more of in this chapter - a better scene being drawn up for me. I am talking about her inner thoughts. What's going on inside her. Because with parts such as this--

It was quiet, but that was the way Asenath liked it.

--which I really do love because it's more of the internal thought without having it direct. More like indirect internal dialogue. And what you have there is a good start. But it asks many questions and makes me wonder: Why does Asenath like it that way so much? Is it because she was so used to the noise before and so now the opposite is attractive? Work with her thoughts, let them roam a bit. It's amazing what a bit of she wondered can do to a piece. Another way to help flesh out these chapters.

Okay, Therese touched on this your other reviewers touched on everything, but I will go over it, too. So you have multiple POV in this chapter - which normally would be fine, save for this is the first time you have ever used it in your novel. Or at least I think so. I do notice it in later chapters, though. Whichever you do, whether unlimited third-person or limited third-person, make sure it remains the same throughout each and every chapter. If it's multiple POV's, then make sure to have more than one per chapter. I am writing a book where there are multiple POV's, but they take turns at the chapters. Many authors can make the characters flow through just fine, and have multiple POV's throughout a single chapter. Yours seemed odd because they looked pasted in there, out of place. Because there is this entire chapter from Asenath, as I have grown used to seeing, and now we have two snippets from Oni thrown in there. They seem almost thrown in on a whim. Like a last minute deal when you noticed something was missing. If you're going to have multiple POV, make sure they're important and have a part to play in the piece. In other words, let them have their say and their moment in the piece before hurrying off to a different person's viewpoint.

To her surprise, it was an Egyptian man that she had never seen before.

One thing I am struggling with here is that she has not seen anyone in months, years. You're either not giving enough answers or I am too blind to see them, because I don't understand that at all. How is she stuck in there? Why is she stuck in there? And since she's been in there for so long, how is it surprising to see a man she hasn't seen before? You can't be telling me she had that many suitors. heehee

And now I find it hard to say anything that your other reviewers haven't said. >.< Jessie and Therese did an amazing job finding everything, and saying everything I would have said. The problem with being the last reviewer. xD

My next review will be longer. Hopefully.
~Darth Timmyjake

ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hi! Cricket here for a review!

Well this is certainly a change of events! I'm guessing that must be Joseph? Well, I'd best not jump to conclusions, but I think it might be. xD He's a slave, he's gentle, and he can see beyond the face as well it seems. But we don't exactly know yet, so I'll be quiet about him.

One character that I like is Oni. She has this certain beauty to the way you describe her. A gentleness, but also a way of general goodness about her. She's honestly how I would picture any slave, but even though she seems in a fairly lowly rank, she acts like she's somehow higher. Like she's not going to be like the rest. Just my around on her is all. xD

It was quiet, but that was the way Asenath now liked it.

If you put that word in red in there, it will show that she now likes the quiet, but before she didn't always. I mean, she enjoyed parties right? And being around people? And the like, I believe.

had ever been. .

OK, to be honest, I'm really not entirely sure what you're doing here. Was it just an accidental typo, with the two periods, or were you planning on doing an ellipsis? Either way, you need to make sure you get all these typo's in the final draft.

It was a sound that she had not heard in years

Years? She's never heard a horse in years? What about months instead?

for I am just a slave.

You're missing a quotation mark here.

Alright that's all for nitpicks. Usually your works are fairly hard to nitpick any way. One thing that I really liked was how you managed to mix in Oni's perspective along with Asenath's. OK, now that's one thing I would caution you about. When writing a novel chapter, you're generally going to have to find a main POV and stick with it throughout the entire thing. To be honest, it didn't stick out to me really, that you mixing up two POV's at the same time. But just to be safe, I'd go out and get a whole bunch of people to test it out and see what they think. Having a load of different peoples opinions would be really awesome, and super helpful besides!

I can see here, that your descriptions are a bit better here. But I'm sure they'll get even better as I go along. One thing that you can always remember for when writing description, is to put in all the Five Senses. Sight you use mainly in your writing. That's generally not ok, by the long run. Insert all the five sense, and your descriptions will seem fuller and much more descriptive. :D

OK, I think that's all from me! Sorry, if this is short, but as these are short novel chapters, and they are pretty darn awesome... xD Well you get the picture I think. See ya!

~Cricket

Aravis10 says...

Thank you for your reviews! They are helpful and encouraging, but they don't glaze over things that need fixed. How did you learn to review like this? What is your secret? ;)

hehe, my bro taught me and I read reviews all over the site! Not to mention it takes practice. B-but... I really don't think my reviews are THAT good. Just average really. XD But thank you! :D

jessiethought wrote a review...

Oooh. Another plot twist... the lovely maiden alone with her one companion... the handsome stranger rides up on a horse.... :D

I have a couple of questions about what has happened, which, if you could answer these in the novel I would be pleased. First of all, why is she not in the concubine house? Or why hasn't Potipherah taken her to be his wife like Asenath thought he would have in chapter two? And how do Oni and Asenath get by? They must have some sort of job or way to live or something, right? These are just a few plot holes I think it would be good to fill.

Now for grammar and small nitpicking.

In Oni’s opinion, Asenath was lovelier now than she had ever been. .

There's a punctuation mark hanging out randomly. Or there's a period missing.

How Ra had taken Amnon.

He's dead?! It's still not clear... he died? The guy at the temple didn't tell her whether or not Amnon died, and you haven't said it directly. Has Amnon just been forbidden from ever seeing Asenath? If he's dead, it might be good to make that explicitly clear.

A space between "children" and "for."

Days past, then months.

Days passed. Homophone fun.

It was a sound that she had not heard in years, and it triggered excitement and dismay.

She hadn't heard a horse in years? What? Only six months had passed, right? And she might have heard a horse in that time, right? I think you meant she hadn't heard a horse in months.

And why did he seem so... diferent?

"Diferent" -- a typo, that's all.

Nor could she forget him over many years.

Nor would she forget him?

Overall, I noticed a couple annoying stylistic problems. First, the word "it" is used too many times. Try to avoid using the words "it" or "this" in your writing, especially to begin a sentence or as the main subject noun in a sentence... Of course, using those words sometimes is all right, but they are very easily overused. (I do it all the time when I'm writing, and my mom gets me for it. See, I used "it" twice in that last sentence. :))

Second, I'm confused about this chapter's shifts in time. The point in time that your narrator is using to reference all the events and bits of information in this chapter seems to be changing. Make sure that your narrator is speaking consistently from one moment in time, and that all the other flashbacks and predictions are relative to that same moment. I don't know if what I'm saying makes sense....

Yay! I enjoyed reading this chapter and reviewing it for you!

~ jessiethought ~

Aravis10 says...

Oops. I'll try to fix the confusion about the point in time. Thanks for pointing that out! In reference to one of your questions, is he dead? Good question. ;)

Ah. It's SUPPOSED to be up in the air. ;)

Wolfi wrote a review...

Happy Review Day!

She wore only a thin silver chain on her neck and a plain white tunic accented her formed, yet strong features.

Here is the best way to write this:
She wore only a thin silver chain on her neck and a plain white tunic that accented her formed, yet strong features.
Ooh.... Another man! A handsome man with trustworthy features that is only a humble slave. And our main character can't keep him off her mind. So maybe something good will come out of the Pharaoh's refusal, after all. The big-eared son of the Pharaoh would have probably turned out to be a lousy husband, anyway. This guy, though, seems genuine.
Asanath and Oni's setup was nicely described. Good job!
Again, I'm sorry for writing such a short review. Onto the next chapter!

Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:05 pm
FireFox wrote a review...

Hey, there, Aravis! FireFox here to review on behalf of the Apple Dumpling Gang on this fine Review Day!

Needs Improvement:
1. Grammar/spelling. This is a given; we all have grammar and spelling issues at some point. Just know that this is something you should tackle in your final draft, as it is not as important right now as your plot, characterization, and structure is.

2. I'm having a hard time determining what Asenath's age is. I know there are previous chapters and I would probably be aware of her age if I read those, but perhaps she should portray some acts or speak differently so that we know she is still very young. If I were reading this without any back-knowledge, I would assume that our MC is an older woman, possibly in her 30's or 40's. It would be in the best interest of your story to have her speak or behave in such a way that her age is never questioned.

I don't have much else to critique, being that this is a rather short chapter, but that is also good, because you covered all your bases nicely. I enjoyed this piece and I like the bit about the slave who came riding up on the horse and how he portrayed himself. I especially like the part where he tells her, "May you learn to smile again!" Well done!

-FireFox

Aravis10 says...

At the beginning it says that it is her 17th birthday. But, from all her experiences, she has matured past her age. Thanks for reviewing!

Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:40 pm
Cheetah wrote a review...

Hello, Cheetah here again to review your 6th chapter!

As always, I enjoyed this installment. Now, to review!

What I liked:

1) The dialogue was exciting (at the end of the chapter), the description was excellent, and the plot seems to be progressing at a steady pace! Great job!

2)

I especially liked this bit. There was a balanced amount of description and emotion. Perfect.

3) I also really liked the end of the chapter, as I mentioned above. I'm looking forward to seeing who he turns out to be!

Nit-Picky:

1)

2)

Suggestions:

1) We learned in this chapter that Ammon had been sacrificed to Ra. You chose a good time to say it, but I think if we knew that in the previous chapter it might give us more insight into how Asenath is feeling. Just a suggestion, your choice.

And we're done! Thanks for the great read! :D

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:54 pm
Ventomology wrote a review...

Hello! It's nice to see you around again.
Well then, I see you're pretty much done setting the stage... I can't wait to see what happens next!
This is mostly for the previous chapter, but I'd like a bit more visual detail to set the mood. And yes, I know I'm being hypocritical.
I feel like Asenath isn't as strongly portrayed in this chapter as she is in the others... and it's weird that she doesn't really get as angry as she used to. Based on her previous reactions, I expected something more explosive.
Um... I feel like the time jumping is a little off... She's seventeen, and then doesn't forget about the man for many years? That would place the next chapter when she's in her twenties, and unless that's what you're going for... Well, I'm just rambling.
There really wasn't much to complain about or critique, so good work making me think harder.
Let's see, no grammatical errors, good characterization... I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns