Revenge Tastes Sweeter Than Justice

by Funkymomo

Hi, thanks for reviewing this. It would be really helpful if you could tell me where you think i could make it a little shorter and where I can develop the main characters personality more. I could also use some help sounds like I know more about police. Would the detective do the interrogations? Thank you!

“C’mon missy, never dreamed ‘bout hurting someone? Playing God? Bever wanted ‘a punch that boss that made ya work overtime? Break the heart ‘a the boy that broke yours? Beat up that bully from when you were five? Huh? You really such a pure heart that ya wished nothing but health and happiness to them?” He looks at me with a childlike innocence, his eyes filled with curiosity, wonder, and perhaps a little mischeviousness. His face is covered in the scars of age.

“There’s a difference between dreaming and doing.” I say, staying stoic in appearance.

“I were you, I’d start doing something other than chatting with a felon, make a gal do strange things.” He had an irritating habit of talking in half formed sentences. He keeps eye contact too, and he’s never, not even once, scratched his head or moved his hands. He’s tougher than me, the bad cop detective interrogator; the strong independent woman.

His strange behavior throws me off. He’s not completely normal, no man charged with attacking multiple people can be wholly sane. Even so, he’s straightforward and makes more sense than most of my coworkers. He’d never said one rude thing to me, unlike most of the scum I dealt with. In fact, he’s confessed to every crime he was charged with no; “oh it wasn’t me,” or “I’ve been set up!” For once I have a clean, easy case. Of course, it wasn’t clean for the people he hurt in his mission for revenge.

After a 2-hour interrogation, it’s a relief to walk out of that small room, confined with just a criminal, a camera, and myself. Why did I even become a detective? I hated long interrogations, I fell asleep during stakeouts, and there was a lot more paperwork than you saw in the movies. The only good part is the power. When I find someone trying to hide, I feel like God. I’ve never admitted it to anyone, but I can’t hide the truth from myself. I’m such a failure, except for this case. I deduced the attacker, his motive, and his location within two days. It was so easy to understand this criminal. Maybe he was right. What if we’re the same, him and I? I like the power of looking down on broken criminals; he likes the power of looking down on his broken enemies.

In my head, I see three types of criminals. There are the stupid criminals; the ones who steal food, do drugs, drive fast, that sort. They’re easy for me. Then there are the “long game” criminals. They’re the gang leaders, scheming businessmen, and other people who are all wrapped up in criminal activity. They are the ones I have the trouble with. The third class is the crazy criminals. They’re the ones that do mass shootings, kill their family, and break the laws of humanity. They’re easy enough to deal with, even if their a little unpredictable. I don’t know where this guy fits in though. He’s too smart for stupid, too short for long game, and too sane for crazy. I recently had a long string of long game criminals, one after another, wearing me down in interrogation. I’d lose control and they’d start yelling, asking me questions, and interrogating me. All our psychologists agree that our current offender is not mentally deranged, but who trusts them? The human psyche is too complex for simple labels to classify it as broken, in my opinion. Maybe our little serial killer has unlocked the secret to evolution: An eye for an eye makes the whole world even. Maybe all of his revenge, though criminal, was just what humans do? My revenge is the same as his really. I ruin lives of those who break laws; he breaks those who ruin his life. What stupid thoughts, I sound crazier than the felon. Maybe I am.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:55 pm
Gardevite wrote a review...

Hey! I'm here as requested! Since this is a contest entry, I'll try and be as through as possible. :)

Nit-Picks
Just some small things.

Bever wanted ‘a punch [/b]
This really threw me off. I couldn't figure out if Bever was a name or what. I'm assuming it's intended to be 'never'.

2-hour interrogation

It's better to use words instead of numbers. '2-hour' sounds like somebody messaged you in a hurry.

What I liked
Very interesting. A nice story, that actually says something. It's hard to come across these. I liked your use of colloquialisms, and your characters. I also like the fact that your characters are unnamed, it makes me think. I'm guessing that it's a statement on how both the characters are human in essence, and any of us could find ourselves in either of those situations. Very clever ;)

Room for improvement/ suggestions/ advice
I do know that this can only be a page long (I read the other reviews) and I would like to know what constitutes a page in this competition. For example, the average Microsoft word page can only fit about 250-300 words, in a readable font size of course, and your story is 674 words long, according to wordcounter.net

Now onto story. The first paragraphs are a tad confusing. From the way they were written, I got the impression that the main character/narrator was the one under interrogation. I got it eventually, but that's the problem. Contests, of all kind, get a plethora of entries. They are not going to take the time to reread something so they can get it after they've already read it. Usually these things get one read, and get placed in a yes or no pile. Then they usually narrow down the 'yes' pile. The good thing is that this is extremely easy to fix! Just add a one or two line hint to show us that the narrator is the investigator, preferably in the first paragraph.

That's all I can really help with. If you need something specific looked at, or you think I missed something, or if you have any questions, just ask! I wish you best of luck in the contest!
-Hightop

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:13 am
TGS wrote a review...

Thunder Gem Studios here
I love it Its a great story Line its interesting and you could have a lot of fun with this character and story. I respect that you have been here for a long time (three years and one month and 15 days) and I know your story's are going to be good. If it was me I would not use the customary Detective character I would use a character with a high up position but the name of the position (e.g. Detective) would be some wired name like Inspectors chief of deputy head investigations. Its quite a fluent story and the terms you use are clever well clever for me anyway. I absolutely love the way you connect with the reader some people try and connect to the reader but fail because there is not enough to connect with every one. But you put so many in you could not not connect with the reader. Its great keep up the good work. :-)

-TGS

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:46 am
Usero wrote a review...

You got me right at the start...it was, to the point and smooth. The way you describe the scene and the thoughts of your character gives a very clear image for the reader on what's going on. A great job, but on a small note...I personally felt U were dealing more with the thoughts of your character ...a little bit more on the events happening at present or the past could have got us more into it and given some work to our imaginations.
Overall a very neat job , something your contestants should really watch out for!!
-Usero.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:16 am
SageofthePage wrote a review...

Hmm, interesting plot line and thought processes. I believe you did very well on explaining how our detective came to that conclusion. A bit of advice, though, what is our character's name? Its obvious she's a woman, but what is her name, and background stories are always character developers.

You could make a flashback to one of those times you described she felt like god as she had power over her enemies. You could say a little about family, friends, husband, children...Maybe how she got into being a detective and how many hours she does paperwork. What makes her independent? All of those little details give tons of information about the character.

And the bad guy, too. He's a tricky one. He seems like a trickster to me. As one very wise man once said: "No villain ever thinks he's doing anything wrong." Your character fits that completely. It's only a little revenge, isn't it? Well, for all her admiring of his honesty, she has to take into account that she could be next on the revenge list. Dum, dum, dum! I'm a bit more interested on what exactly this guy did to his victims. I mean, not in horrific detail, of course, but did he kill them, rape them, butcher them? That would give insights into him as well.

And as for wordiness (don't worry, I suffer from it too!) I actually believe you should have written more, or at least gone deeper. Sometimes, it IS the more the merrier.

Funkymomo says...

It's for a contest, i can only write one page. But thanks for your review, I'll definitely use your advice!

I'm happy to help, and I wish you luck in your contest.

"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood."
— George Orwell, 1984