12+

Enricketta - Chapter One ( Part 1/2... or 3)

by Pompadour

CHAPTER ONE:

KETTA

Dear Darkness,

I had a nightmare last night.

My thoughts were flowing fast, like rapids of some turbulent stream. They kicked and fought and pummeled my brain. They wove starlit patterns in your folds, dancing in and out like lithe musicians in the glory of the dusk. It was so utterly beautiful.

What was so scary about it, you ask?

I had run out of paper.

Her pen scratched loudly in the night, and she looked around hesitantly before putting it to paper again. She scuffled closer to her stub of a candle, and wrote slowly, trying to be as quiet as possible. Even walls had ears, she knew. And she knew that the darkness always swept sound away faster.

It frightens me sometimes – life. How on earth am I supposed to understand what it is if I have never lived it? It frightens me when the line between my dreams and reality is undeterminable. How do I know that this isn't a dream – being locked up in a dark attic, forbidden to ever mingle with the light that is so close, and yet so far away? How do I know that my nightmares won’t come to life someday? How do I know that someday my voice won’t be crushed forever, crushed so that my silent words will no longer find a medium to travel through? There are paths that your words can take. There are two choices you are given. You can either speak, and let your words float into the atmosphere, melding into the air and weaving through one kind of matter to other matters. Your words travel in waves, like light. Or they can travel on scabbard lanes, traversing paths built on paper-thin stalks. Parchment sounds so much more beautiful than merely saying paper, and yet our lives are so much more similar to the latter. You can crush paper like you crush lives; you can burn it up until there is nothing but ash. Paper is flimsy; our lives are too. They are more similar than we realize, and it is words that sew us together: life to life, paper to paper, death to death.

Words, everywhere.

And running out of paper is like running out of life; because it is my heart and my heart alone that beats in the shadows. I am a word that was never included in the dictionary. I am tainted. I am a solitary being, and it is only you, dear Darkness, who I have for company. I am alone, so wretchedly alone, and it is you I turn to for sympathy. But you never give me any, though I sympathize with you. Sometimes, just sometimes, you give way to light so I can see these words I write. I know you are not completely horrible. You’re miserable too, just like me. Is it because you have never been able to befriend Light either? It is strange, how everyone fears us, is it not? Because we have one thing in common:

Neither of us is supposed to exist.

In fact, I don’t really exist to most of the world. I wonder if the children next door – are there any children next door? I don’t know. Fine, if there are presumably children next door, would they imagine that a young girl is spending her life locked up in a dark attic? It is there that she will live and it is there that she will die. But I do not consider myself alive, no - I am already dead. But my soul is held trapped within this flimsy excuse of a life. In simple words, I am trapped in a living death. I know not of the seasons, nor of the day and night. I know they exist, just as I exist, and yet we must remain strangers to each other. My world is this dusty little attic, the adjoining room with the U-bend and tap, and Darkness.

Always Darkness.

Are graves this quiet? Are you this afraid to make noise in your grave? But I suppose, when you’re buried in the earthen depths, you have already submitted yourself to your fate. I know the Light lurks out there somewhere, and I hope you won’t despise me, Darkness dear, if I am attracted to it. But I cannot help it. The only light I have is the light from this candle, and it is a fragmented shadow of the real thing. I have a feeling it cannot ever compare.

Just like I am a fragmented bit of the real Ketta, the Ketta-who-could-have-been. I am like a Rapunzel, except that I shall never have my happily-ever-after. I suppose I should be glad I have my words. They help me survive; they help me dream and conjure up worlds in your shadowy cloaks. It is an undisturbed world we have hewn up here, and the only time that world is disturbed is when some food is pushed through the flap somewhere near that wall...

But all the walls look the same when you are here, Nessie. All the time.

There are no windows. There are no doors. There is no entrance to the light except that flap in one of those grim-faced walls, and the light that comes cascading in through it is ... unreal, tinged with this artificial scent that makes me shiver. The food I read about in books seems real. The food I consume (it can’t be called eating, because I merely gulp it down) is metallic. Vegetables, watery soup, hard bread. It’s like a fairy tale of sorts, where the young girl is tortured and starved. But there is no fairy godmother to save me.

And sad realities can never be fairy tales.

Did you know Cinderella was originally called Ashputtel? That it was much more bloody than the later editions? Did you know that there wasn't a fairy godmother in the real version, either? Oh, I've read about all sorts of Cinderellas, both paperback and hardback, editions old and new. That is the only good thing about this attic: the books. They were stored up here long ago, and have remained untouched ever since. There are mountains of books, deserts of paper, and I found a package of old-fashioned pens too. It’s positively providential. When I run out of ink, I shall turn to charcoal. When I run out of charcoal, to paint. But I cannot imagine running out of paper. I could paint words on the walls, but they are low and dark, and covered in dust. It is not the same thing. Paper is an entirely different substance. Nothing is like paper. Paper and words are meant to be.

Maybe it is you and I, Nessie, who were meant to be too.

I don’t understand why I am kept barred from the world. What about me is so disgustingly grotesque, so repugnant that the world doesn't want me? My mother is dead, I know. And my father doesn't care for me. I don’t even think he knows I exist. Below me are my people, people I share blood with, people with the same genetic codes, the same DNA running through their veins. There is only one phrase attached to me, one word that I remember being said to me over and over again. It is an old memory, a memory that has never faded. It is the only memory I have of Light. Everything was bright, but that man’s sneering face tarred the vision. He was proud-looking and handsome, but his hair were completely white, and his nose was cruel, as was the slight twist to his mouth.

“Illegitimate,” he whispered, and there was disgust in his eyes, on his lips. He seemed to recoil at the writhing, chubby mass that was me. I only suppose I was chubby, but I was young then, and all children are supposed to be beautiful. But I don’t know what I look like, so I can only imagine.

In all the books I have read, I have never come across this word. I stumbled upon it, by chance, in an old dictionary. And this was the definition, for I have read it so often, trying to make sense of it that I remember it by heart and could probably murmur it to you in my sleep:

Illegitimate: born of parents who are not married to each other; born out of wedlock

I do not know what that means, but of this I am certain:

I am illegitimate.

Her tiny mouth pursed as she wrote the words: those three words that defined her entire being. It was strange to her, how there were pages upon pages of definitions to every law of science, to every mathematical rule she had ever read of; rifling through the stacks of dusty unused books that filled up her attic. But her definition was short and crude. It was unfinished, and Ketta knew, now more than ever as she surveyed what she had written, that she was never meant to exist.

But she did exist, didn't she? Despite everything, she was living and breathing. And together, she thought determinedly, she and the darkness would find a definition for who she was, and prove that she was much more than just 'illegitimate.' She smiled a crooked smile, but one which was filled with innocence; dimpled and endearing, so that even the darkness gave way for the flame of her lone candle to glow brighter; it illuminated the paper as she scratched out the words:

But I am also Ketta, and I matter.

A/N: If you've read this far, then thank you for reading! This is just the first part of the first chapter, seeing as I felt that the whole chapter was too long to post in one go. It might even be in three parts, but I don't really know. I'll see about that. It'd pretty rough, seeing as this is just the first draft.

Please review!

~Pompadour

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:42 am
BluesClues wrote a review...

Wow, this is really interesting. I love how Ketta is writing letters to the Darkness, and I love that Darkness, a nonbeing, is her only friend. It's fascinating.

I got that "Nessie" was a nickname for the Darkness, but it took me a moment to figure that out. I would suggest--maybe Ketta can start her letter "Dear Nessie" and call the Darkness "Nessie" 90% of the time or so--and then at some point she could refer to it as "Darkness dear," or, better yet, you can just imply that it is Darkness to whom she is writing. i.e. If you take the very beginning, you could do this:

Dear Nessie,

I had a nightmare last night.

So here the implication is in "starlit patterns in your folds." Or later when you say "and Darkness. Always Darkness" you could just add in "Always Darkness. You" although obviously that's less implication and more statement.

I think that would personify Darkness even more, because Darkness would have something resembling a real name ("Nessie"). Plus I think part of what threw people off with "Nessie" was that all before that it was "Darkness" and then all of a sudden there was "Nessie."

Sorry, I spent like a million years talking about that.

Some things to think about as you continue: I would imagine, at some point, that Ketta will escape her dark, lonely life in the attic. I would also imagine that, at some point, she will see herself in a mirror, or someone will describe her appearance to her or something. So I have two things I think you'll need to keep in mind as you write this (rather than giving you things to improve on now, since I think this is pretty interesting so far):

1. As Ketta (presumably) leaves the attic, and as much as she looks forward to seeing the light, it would be a good idea to show her missing the Darkness. Not only is there an absence of darkness in daylight, but think about the fact that at night people she meets will have lamps/flashlights/fire/electricity/whatever to keep the darkness at bay. She might wander off by herself to see the darkness--which might also lead to her seeing stars, which I imagine would be the most wonderful light to her since starlight can only be seen in darkness. (Think light pollution in cities.)

2. You probably already have an image in mind for Ketta, but if she's living in darkness she's probably stunted and pale. Travel outside the attic could change this overtime (well, the paleness--she'd still be fairly stunted), but it would probably take several weeks or months of exposure to sunlight and fresh air and all that.

So you may have already thought of those things, you may be planning for them, but I thought I'd suggest them just in case. Let me know when you post more! This is really interesting.

Blue

Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:07 am
Gardevite wrote a review...

A MILLION APOLOGIES! I'm so sorry that I'm so late in answering your request! Anyway Happy Review Day! Let's get to it!

if there are presumably children next door,

That should be "presuming there are children next door,"

Some complaints
Okay. Interesting, but what's happening? I have no idea. I know this is a novel and this is (a part whew) of the first chapter. Nothing happened. I felt like I was reading and exquisitely rich in metaphor list of complaints. Honestly, if I was trying to get a taste of the book by reading a bit of it in the bookstore, I would have put it back and moved on. Why? Well, as I said, nothing happened. So much of this could have been cut, and brought the more interesting and compelling parts closer to the front lines. I'd say you only need about half of this to give us the information we need and tell us how the character is feeling.

I also got kind of thrown off by the separate narrations. It could have been completely first person, and not have taken anything from the story.

Who's Nessie? She's mentioned, but I never really found out who she was.

That's all with the complaints!

Stuff I liked!
The tone was very nice. Almost defeated, but with the constant reference of light I can tell that she still has hope!

I liked your writing style. It's not forced, it flows smoothly and it easy to read, but it's intelligent at the same time! Very nice!

I'm also interested in this girls story. Why is she in the attic? Is she going to get out? I want to know! So do tell me when the next chapter (err part of the chapter) is up!

-Hightop!

Pompadour says...

Hey, thanks for the review! I just saw this right now. :) Yeah, I know this piece is reaaally long, and I'll definitely be cutting it down when I edit it. This is just the first draft. Also, the entire (it thrills me just saying the word ^_^) novel is meant to be a collection of letters, and some stories coincide with others, so there'll be a "Postscript" in the end that'll be in third person point-of-view and wraps the entire thing up. But if it does get confusing, I might just have it completely in first-person. On microsoft word, I had separate fonts and stuff but I don't really know how to do that here so I had to stick with italics instead. It threw me off too. Heh.

Some mistakes I've made intentionally. (The "presumably" one.) Ketta's just a kid, though she is a bright one! And Nessie is actually Ketta's nickname for Darkness. I think I should clarify that somewhere in the piece.

Again, thank you SO much for the review! I really felt like there was something wrong with this part but I couldn't tell what exactly. And there'll be a lot more action in the next part-of-this-chapter! I'll probably post it sometime soon. :D
~Pompadour

Gardevite says...

Stuff is making sense now. :D You're quite welcome, dear!

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:01 pm
lostthought wrote a review...

That was awesome. Is that your only work? I would love to read more. I wonder how she could see in her dark room. I am one for horror stories so I read Ashputtle. It was disturbing. Especially how they cut off parts of their foot.

This part one is well written. I didn't see any grammatical or capitalization errors and that good. Most stories have those mistakes. You have talent. Let it lead you through the darkness of life.

Pompadour says...

Thanks lostthought! This isn't my only work and I've written short stories as well. But this is something new I'm working on, and I'll be posting more later as well as introducing new characters. Haha, Ketta's mentioned Ashputtel in the story as well. Personally, I like the gory version better because it's closer to reality, albeit disturbing! But you won't catch me ever reading it to anyone as a bed time story!
I'll be posting more soon, and I'm glad you liked this piece! So thanks again, especially for the encouragement!

~Pompadour

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:46 pm
Trudeau44 wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this chapter; it’s well written, and interesting. I look forward to reading more of your work in the future. My only suggestion is how did she get put in the attic? Who put her there? Is she going to escape the Darkness and join the light? There just some things that you might want to think about. Love your work, keep it up.

Trudeau44

Pompadour says...

Hey Trudeau! Thanks for the review! And as to all those questions, they will be answered in the later part of this chapter. This is just the first part of the first chapter, seeing as the entire chapter is too long to publish in one go and really long to read. Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you liked it!
~Pompadour

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:39 pm
Jibber wrote a review...

Wow. That's really good. It's captivating and makes me curious about how it's going to turn out. I love how she compares herself with the darkness her only friend. Some questions I have for the future of the book would be:
Is she ever going to get out of the dark room that is her life?
Is her friendship with the dark important for the future? And will this determine how she gets out and what she might do when and if she does escape?
Who are her parents? Will I get to meet them?
How is the truth about her birth important?

These are only a few of my questions that only encourage me to want to read more. I hope that some of these questions may inspire you in what is going to happen to Ketta. It gives a little bit of an idea on what your audience may expect or predict.

I also love how she is writing a letter to the darkness. It really shows how lonely she is and her love for words.

Keep writing! :)

Pompadour says...

Thank you so much for the review! Actually, this is just a fragment of the first chapter, the rest of which I will be posting later. And I mean for this novel to have more characters introduced, come with entire chapters to themselves. It'll be like interconnected short stories. Ketta is just one of those characters. And yes, all those questions will definitely be answered! Her mother is already dead, as Ketta herself has stated, and we'll find out how she knows this too later on. And the truth about her birth is important since it highlights an important aspect of society and how many people perceive things. Ketta doesn't know everything about her birth either, nor does she know how her mother dies. So this is as much her journey as it is ours. I'm glad you liked the chapter, and I'll be posting more soon!

Thanks again!

~Pompadour

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:35 pm
SandDuster says...

...wow that was intense. From the moment I started reading I was intrigued. The girl seems troubled but she was powerful. I enjoyed her last sentence I am Ketta and I matter. It was long but definitely worth the read. You are very talented and I look forward to your other works!
~red

Pompadour says...

Thanks for the review! :D

The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from one who does.
— Anonymous