z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Honeymoon in Mars - Episode2(The Road to Articus)

by rikkidas


Edwards and Jason decieded upon paying a short visit to Articus. According to them, it sounded an interesting excursion. They were aware that they needed written permit from Governer of Global Sea Operation, Mr.George Stevens.

A discussion was held between Jason and Edwards.

Edward: I hope now is the time to visit George Stevens,hope he permits us to be in the Articus sea base.

Jason: Yeah,right Edward, but what can be an excuse for the purpose to visit Articus.

Edward(very cleverly): We shall tell him that we want to test Bubblemarine(Submarine version of space-bubble, a semi space shuttle). The Bubblemarine can be remotely operated too and should be tested in high pressure require elite team of scientists at the Articus to demonstrate if Bubblemarine is actually a more efficient way of travelling deep waters at extremely high pressures.

Jason: sounds like a good purpose, lets go with that.

Jason had a metro car.A car which can fly for a certain time ,which had additional boosters that gave it a thrust and attain unbelivable speeds.

Jason took out his metro car and both of them boarded it. They drove to the office of the Governer of Global Sea Operation, Stevens, which was at 75th floor at the towers of legislation.(which is a building that the members of council of global justice operates from).

It took them about half an hour to drive to the office of Mr.George Stevens.

Mr.George Stevens was a shrewd person and strict in his own held principles.

The two friends got into the chamber of after Digital I-Card verification, criminal record check, Body scan and several 50 to 100 stupid procedures.

They entered the room of . He had an F71-15th generation Laser blaster on his table.

Jason: Hello, myself Jason, this is my friend actually want a written permit to visit Articus.

Stevens: What is the purpose, young fellow. You might know visiting Articus require a clean and pure scientific motive. Its by far not a holiday destination(and laughed at bit).

Edwards(thinking of George Stevens as stupid and started explanation): well you see , we work for CLIMAX labs and we are not certainly novice. We wanted to test the efficiency of the Bubblemarine and see if it is as good for deep sea navigation as semi space shuttle for interplanetary navigation. Moreover the Gallian pipe is a bi-directional route dependent point to point connectivity between hops. I am sure the success of Bubblemarine can remove such limitation and access multiple hops from single deport the Gallian pipe's hard glass-fiber structure is prone to damage afer being attacked by killer sharks and giant white whales(which were lies), the Bubblemarine loaded with defance arsenal can shield itself from such vicious attacks. We are aiming at the welfare of humanity as a effort will surely improve deep sea connectivity. The vision looks bright and the goal even brighter.

Stevens somehow got fooled by those words. He provided them with a written permit.

Stevens: I hope both of you all the very best. The permit has been granted only for a duration of 7 days, make best use of it. Any legal or criminal offence in Articus will be subject of immediate deportation and attract on-surface penalisation.

Jason and Edwards looked excited. They came out of the office and jumped in joy.

Jason: I am so happy mate, finally we shall visit the scientific marvel known as Articus.

Edwards: Lots of things to do, lets drive back home, pack our bags and have a nice sleep in our respective homes.

The night passes with both ambitious men dreaming of Articus.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 13620
Reviews: 212

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:18 am
birk wrote a review...



Hey Rikki!

I'm sorry it took me so long to continue this series, however, I finally got around to it again.

I'll be going through them quickly and I have a lot to comment on, so I'll get right to it:
As there are a lot of repeating mistakes, I might not cover absolutely everything.

Edit

Edwards and Jason decided upon paying a short visit to Articus. According to them, it sounded like an interesting excursion. They were aware that they needed a written permit from Governor of Global Sea Operation, Mr.George Stevens.


A discussion was held between Jason and Edwards.

This is where the storytelling in the piece takes a wrong turn. It seems like you are not really telling a story, but rather explaining everything, overly explaining. Instead of letting the story unfold as the reader reads it, everything is spoonfeed to them. It reads almost like a script, which it is obviously not. A short expansion to this sentence would make it look better and more natural. An example: Before meeting with Mr. Stevens, both Edwards and Jason had a discussion about their tactics for convincing the Governor.

Edit
Edward: I hope it's time to visit George Stevens, and that he permits us to be in the Articus sea base.
So far, you continue using this method of dialogue with no quotation marks and without describing anything during these conversations. I know you improve on this later, as they are vastly improved, so I guess I'll find out where you shed them down the line. Also remember the space between ending one sentence and starting another. The same goes for commas.

You also need to decide what to call your character. Edward or Edwards. You keep changing it up.

Edward(very cleverly):

As I said, the storytelling takes a wrong turn here and the dialogue doesn't work when written this way. You allow no descriptions and tell nothing of the scenes when there is dialogue. Writing their feelings, their actions et cetera in brackets is definately not acceptable.

Jason took out his metro car and both of them boarded it.

The way this is written makes it sound like he just pulls it out of his pocket. Mini car?

Edit
The two friends got into the chamber of after Digital I-Card verification
There are also too many checkpoints here. 50-100? No.

Suggestion
As they entered the room they noticed he had an F71 15th generation laser blaster on the table.


Suggestion
Jason: Hello, my name is Jason and this is my friend Edwards, and we would both like a written permit to visit Articus.


Edwards(thinking of George Stevens as stupid and started explanation):

Again, don't put this in brackets. This entire paragraph is also way too long and over explained. It's also not very convincing, but that was probably the point. I did laugh at the killer shark and giant whale lie though.

Suggestion
This somehow fooled Stevens and he provided them with a written permit.


pack our bags and have a nice sleep in our respective homes.

Very important: Character development. So far your story has little to nothing of this. In fact, during this conversation Edwards kind of sounds like a robot.

Alright, that's chapter two. So far, both chapters are a little too short in lenght and it has a big amount of issues. But I know you improve as you write this and its interesting to see the development.

Keep it up!

Cheers
Birkhoff




User avatar
347 Reviews


Points: 25558
Reviews: 347

Donate
Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:40 pm
OliveDreams wrote a review...



Hiiii! I'm back for episode 2 as I'm intrigued as to where you're gonna take this!

Once again, I'm reviewing for the Epic Ice Cream Warriors of Pluto and I will review as I read. And yes, again, that really is our name.

Here we go!

1. I love the name Articus. I think it's original and quirky and you don't find that much anymore! I'm desperate for some dripping description so that I know what it looks like!

2. Where you've put in brackets, (very cleverly). This confused me a little bit as I'm still unsure as to what layout this piece is. If this is supposed to be a stage direction, you need to put it as a facial expression or something.
For example;
'Edward (with a sly smile on his lips)'

3. 'I hope both of you all the very best. The permit has been granted only for a duration of 7 days, make best use of it. Any legal or criminal offence in Articus will be subject of immediate deportation and attract on-surface penalisation.' - This is a fabulous bit of writing! It's nice to see that you're beginning to set out some rules and regulations in the world you've created. Us readers have the biggest imaginations but we still need to be kept to some sort of boundaries. :)

KEEP GOING! I'm sorry I can't be of much more help.

Olive <3




rikkidas says...


What do you mean by boundaries with respect to this context.



User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 7583
Reviews: 61

Donate
Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:40 pm
FireFox wrote a review...



Hi, rikkidas! FireFox here to review your piece on behalf of the Apple Dumpling Gang on this fine Review Day! :)

Okay, I'm not sure this is posted in the right section, but I will give this my best shot at a review!

Needs Improvement:
1. Grammar/spelling. This is a given with any piece. We all make grammar and spelling mistakes and whoever says they don't is a liar. Haha. Anyway, spelling and grammar are things that you correct when you are on your final draft of a piece. Focus on your plot, characterization, and structure right now, rather than things that can be nitpicked, such as grammar and spelling. Leave that for later, but just remember that it does need to be done.

2. This is not really a critique of the piece, but more of a suggestion on placement: if this is an episode, perhaps it would have fit better in another category, as opposed to the novel/chapter category. Definitely belongs in a science fiction sub-category, but I'm not so sure about the novel/chapter thing. It's an episode, so perhaps it should be in a category for episodes? I don't believe we have one, but that would be a thought! If you mean for it to be more of a novel type of structure, use dialogue as opposed to the structure of a script.

3. Typically, in writing, parentheses are not used, simply because there really is no place for them. Don't get me wrong - there are some writers who use them, but they are used rarely. Parentheses should be used when trying to explain to the reader something that is absolutely necessary for them to know in order to understand the story.

4. Do you have one particular MC? This is the only piece of yours that I have read, but I'm a tad bit confused. Normally, with any kind of writing, there is an MC or narrator of some sort. Who is the MC or narrator of this piece? I feel that it's a lot of telling rather than showing, which is also why I'm not understanding who our MC is.

This piece definitely has potential and you could do so much with it, whether you make it a script or a novel. It's insanely imaginative and piqued my interested. I am not usually one to read science fiction, but your title got my attention. It sounded interesting! I was right - it is interesting. There are just a few things you could do to make it even better. :)

-FireFox




rikkidas says...


Please read episode 3 and 4 .I hope that you will find it interesting.



User avatar


Points: 471
Reviews: 4

Donate
Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:30 pm
View Likes
SandDuster wrote a review...



Instead of putting parentheses explaining what something is; describe it using Jason and Edwards thoughts or speeches. Use quotations when they are speaking and don't make them sound so stiff! Other than that the imagination is clearly there! I love the thought of a new far away land and you did an excellent job of making Articus sound desirable.





The only person I know for certain I am better than is the person I used to be.
— CandyWizard