Facing the Fire: part 1

by horseholio

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

"You don't own me! Leave me alone!"

Macy slammed the door as hard as she could, shaking the few books scattered along her rickety old shelves. She turned and threw herself into her disgusting, grimy bed with paper thin, threadbare sheets and cried. She hadn't cried in a long time. Not since she had arrived at this horrible place 8 years ago.

When the lawyer told her she'd be coming here,he described it as a loving place with warm, loving women who would keep her fed, clean, and happy until they could find her a loving home. Of course he would say that to a little girl who'd just been through a trauma. Why ever would he tell her the truth?

Truth. As a girl the term had always seemed warm, inviting, and wholly good. Now Macy knew it was cold, dark, and with fangs that could rip apart the soul. Truth hurt people. Lies mask their eyes until they're ready. Macy learned that much too early.

The musty sheets choked Macy as she sobbed into them. She managed to right herself. She struc herself across the cheek as punishment for being so weak.

If they hear you crying, they'll coming running to 'comfort' you.

All the older boys had a habit of running after any of the younger girls here to "have some fun" with them. It was disgusting. They never did it enough to actually get caught, and all the little girls were too scared they'd do it again if they told on them. The disciplinarians were suspicious, but not enough to actually do anything about it. But that's what happens when you lock up a bunch of kids in a place together. The older ones never get adopted, and getantsy. With their emotional trauma from being raised in a place like this, and having a fine picking of young girls strewn about, what else could you expect? Teenage boys have a very low sense of morality when it comes to that.

i know this is fairly long, but i didn't want to stop because I may never finish it. If you really enjoy it, I'll actually put in the effort to finish this. just a warning: if i do finish it, it'll probably get fairly graphic.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:33 pm
Celticmusicgirl wrote a review...

Hi, I'm Celticmusicgirl and I'm going to review this piece today.
First, I really liked this piece. This was very interesting. However, there were a few small errors I would like to point out.

First of all, you said "Truth. As a girl the term had always seemed warm, inviting, and wholly good. Now Macy knew it was cold, dark, and with fangs that could rip apart the soul." I like your description but I think it would be better if you said "Now, Macy know it was cold and dark with fangs that could rip apart the soul." Just reword it and it will be a great sentence.

Secondly, you said "She struc herself across the cheek as punishment for being so weak."
It should be struck I believe.

Thirdly, You said "If they hear you crying, they'll coming running to 'comfort' you." I think it should be "they'll come running to 'comfort' you."

Fourth, you said, "The older ones never get adopted, and getantsy." It should be "get antsy."

Lastly, I noticed once or twice you accidentally forgot to capitalize "I."

Overall, this is a very good piece. I would like to see more of this story. Please PM me when you post more of this.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:14 pm
Caesar wrote a review...

Hey there.

Your introduction post intrigued me to the point that I decided to check out if you'd posted anything, and, lo and behold, you did.

Overall, this is pretty good. I couldn't spot grammar mistakes save for 'struc' (might want to add in a k there).

I found it curious when you said this was long. This is actually pretty short from what I've seen on yws - not that chapter length matters, the important thing is that you deliver a piece of information which is complete, or perhaps incomplete enough to make the readers curious. You did the former, it works. We have a very cliche orphanage, and a very cliche main character.

Something about the narrator's voice disturbed me... greatly. How old is Macy? She sounds, in points, like a crotchety old woman.

With their emotional trauma from being raised in a place like this, and having a fine picking of young girls strewn about, what else could you expect? Teenage boys have a very low sense of morality when it comes to that.

This is not the voice of a traumatized young child. Not by a long shot. Furthermore, what contributed to this impression is, I think, the fact the narrator's voice doesn't quite seem to coincide with the narrator itself...? Take the paragraph above, for example. Macy, or rather, a traumatized young girl, probably wouldn't say this. Perhaps she'd, in fearful tones, talk about what the teenage boys did to the little girls, looking for some fun, but whatever she'd say, it wouldn't be as flat and expository as the offending paragraph.

Same goes for this here

Macy is definitely not speaking here. I don't quite think, in this case, a similar narrator is such a good idea. A traumatized child is a well of pathos and angst and so much good stuff a writer can take advantage of, by pulling the narrating voice back and having it tell us things about Macy, instead of showing us, you lose this advantage completely, thus making the entire chapter bland and boring. I recommend you give this more color, more emotion. Make me feel sorry for Macy, don't make me say "yay, yet another orphan story with too much telling".

Hope this helped
-Ita

horseholio says...

if i continue it, I intend to include that Macy is 11 years old, but loves to read and is exceptionally bright and her superior knowledge makes her enjoy speaking in larger words to give her some sort of superiority over the other orphans. Using advanced language makes her feel good about herself. I just didn't get to that yet. but thanks for the review :)

Baal says...

you may wanted to include that sooner, to avoid this issue entirely.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:59 pm
Spearhawkdude wrote a review...

The other comment from Cheetah was pretty good, and I don't need to add anything in that aspect of reviewing, so I'll talk more about the context instead. This was amazing, and I don't normally enjoy things about something so cruel. I can't explain it, but it's great! Keep up the good work, and I'll keep liking. :D

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:54 am
Omi1 wrote a review...

Ok, yeah, I have to admit that that was well written, but do you think you could write about something a little less depressing. I absolutely hate the idea that there are boys out there who seek to take the advantage of girls simply to get a little pleasure from it. This is not at all a pleasant topic and unless you plan on putting a good moral into the story, I would not continue. Sure there are lots of good novels that I've read about rape, but it's just devastating and it tears me to pieces. But, I can tell that you do have talent and if you honestly believe you can write about something this deep, then go for it. It could be a real eye opener to a lot of people, which is something a lot of people might need to hear.

Anyways, the best of luck to you. ...sorry if I sound too critical. :)

horseholio says...

I was simply setting up the plot. It'll get worse before it gets better but it will get better i promise.

Omi1 says...

Haha, that's good to hear! :)

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:44 pm
Cheetah wrote a review...

Hi, Cheetah here to review your piece!

I like your style of writing. You kept me hooked and this was very clear and easy to read. There's not really anything wrong with it, that I can see. One thing though, your welcome to put in whole chapters if you want. I guarantee you people will read them and you'll probably get better reviews if they read the story in chapters rather than parts of chapters. I can't wait to read more!

horseholio says...

I tend to write long chapters, and it has annoyed people on other websites. Most reviews were saying they got tired of reading for so long so I try to keep it short. but thanks for the review!

Cheetah says...

Your welcome! And I see what you're saying about chapters. I think that as long as your chapters aren't ten times as long as what you've just written, you should be okay, There's no problem in submitting in parts, though. Whatever you're comfortable with! ;)

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.
— Robert Brault