18+ Language Mature Content

The Big Sky

by Lena.Wooldridge

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

Hey all, I've been working on a concept for a new novel/novella over the past few months. Tonight I decided to try and put a bit down on paper. This right here is sort of the preamble/first chapter. It doesn't really explain alot because it takes places a couple of years after the actual story does. I mostly just want commentary on my writing style, if this is possible. Sometimes I feel like my writing is really dry to read with a lot of purple language. thanks a lot.

Mr. Marlon Sinclair sat upon the rickety wooden swing on his front porch, allowing his mind to sedate as he viewed his cows meandering throughout his front field. They were lazy, and rightfully so; each blade of grass was entirely at the mercy of their greedy jaws. They acted upon the whim of none, save their own stomachs. Occasionally a fly buzzed around the ear of one, and each time she shook her head, batting it away without concern. The sun was beginning to set on the snow-capped mountains a league or so in the distance. Its light radiated upon each individual blade of grass, allowing them to glint to their fullest potential, sending light waves across the field with every gasp of the wind. The wind’s voice reverberated throughout the valley so as to make all those present cognizant of the pure vastness of the world.

“The Big Sky,” he murmured as he raised a mason jar of beer to his mouth and took a swig. “What a big sky.” It was a beautiful phenomenon, the fact that he could, when the urge existed, emit infinite expletives without the shrug of another person. The simplicity of his isolation permitted him such niceties. He smiled to himself, kicking off of the wooden porch floor so as to swing slightly faster.

As the sun spent its final hour above the horizon, the clouds above the mountains danced in vibrant shades of coral pink. They summoned him, begging him to join them in their glee. He leaned further backwards, attempting to disassociate himself with the ground and all things mundane. He felt himself floating with leisure throughout the sky. In the distance, a cow called out, and Marlon smiled in response. The cows were able to speak candidly as well. They were such simple creatures, and for this he admired them. Cows care only for their young and their food. The simplicity of nature was preferable to whatever unnecessary extremities existed only a few miles from his home.

It was then that Marlon saw the dust gathering in the distance. It was subtle, but amidst his solace Marlon noticed the intrusion immediately.

“And now who in the Hell could that be?”

Within a minute the outline of a car in the distance became clear as it made its way up Marlon’s potholed drive. It putted along, hardly suited for such a ragged road; the car itself was practically an antique, one of the older hybrids.

Marlon scowled and set his beer down. “And what is this goofball of a hippy doing on my lot?”

It took several minutes for the little blue car to finally reach Marlon’s house as the numerous potholes and general meandering nature of the drive thwarted it. The cows cried, trampling away from the car’s path and into the heart of the field, seeking sanctuary within the heart of the field. A little brown Jersey calf, presumably separated from her mother, stood directly in the car’s path, and only with a honk of its horn did she scurry away in search of her mother. Marlon shuddered at the noise.

The car eventually pulled into a position perpendicular to the house before coming to a complete halt. Dust still hung all along the length of the drive. Marlon finally stood up from the swing and took a couple paces towards the edge of the porch. He stood still for several moments, hands on hips.

The car door then opened, and out stepped Mr. Pritchard Sinclair. For a minute he did not approach the house and instead beamed over the roof of his car at his older brother. His unkempt mousy hair flickered in the slight breeze.

“Well, are you going to greet me properly or just stand there like a dolt?” Pritchard said, slamming the car door and hastening towards the house. His long legs and leaping gate gave him the appearance of a young foal. He scampered with the uncontainable excitement of a young animal as well. He stumbled on the bottom stair, his loose jeans catching on the frayed wood. Marlon’s old sheepdog at last stood up and scurried over to Pritchard, sniffing the man’s dirty old sneakers with euphoria.

“Well?” said Pritchard, a smile quickly stretching across his face.

Marlon said nothing and his countenance remained stern. When Pritchard lifted his arms in order to embrace his brother, Marlon returned the gesture, his disgruntlement eminent.

They parted almost immediately.

“It’s been a while, brother,” said Pritchard, his smile unfaltering.

“That it has.” Marlon shrugged and returned to his seat on the swing. “I’ve been busy.”

Pritchard laughed as he sat upon the swing as well. He reached down, grabbing Marlon’s half-full jar of beer. He took a sip and shuddered. “Obviously pretty busy if you’re all about this motor oil.” He shuddered again. “Hoppy.”

“Marlon quickly grabbed the beer from his brother’s grasp. “Either quit drinkin’ it or quit complainin’, then!” He downed a large gulp, refraining from any palpitations. “One of my buddies down in the valley brews this himself.”

“Sounds like a grand ole time.” Pritchard shook his head and stared at the last remnants of sunlight disappearing behind the mountains: the most peaceful moment of every evening. Even the cows were completely silent as though out of reverence. They had congregated at the southern end of the field, out of eyeshot. The crickets were beginning to chip and a single bat flew overhead. The birds were silent.

“So is this it? A typical evening in the life?” Pritchard asked.

Marlon twitched at the sudden verbal expression and then scowled. “What do you mean, ‘is this it?’ Of course it’s it. It’s the sunset. I was trying to mind my own business and enjoy it when you stomped on through.”

“Maybe I wanted to enjoy it with you.”

“Okay then.” Marlon gestured towards the view. “Enjoy it, respect it. Look at all of that. From my house, to the mountains, and beyond. It’s all mine. Tomorrow I can just wake up and decide to take a walk over that mountain there. Or I can just sit right here and drink my beer. But I’m not obligated to any of it. I ain’t obligated to nothing except myself.”

“So I’m assuming it’s these cows that’re keeping you busy enough?”

Marlon shrugged. “They’re a lot of work.” He stared off at the horizon, the corners of his lips pulling into a slight frown.

“I only ask ‘cause I don’t like seeing you with nothing to do, Marlon. That’ll make a dude sick, you know? Especially since you used to always be so active and all. I guess you just learned how to keep yourself busy in other ways.

Marlon’s frown crinkled further.

“I mean, who last visited you? It’s gotta have been me. Six months ago. And that’s just sad. Aren’t you lonely? But it’s not like you’re even prepared for any guests. And I’m guessing that’s almost intentional. I mean, Hell! What a host! He won’t even share his beer.”

Marlon at last sought eye contact with his brother. “Why’d you come here?”

Pritchard’s face erupted into a shocked smile. “What a question! What a host! I guess it’s a crime now, just to visit my lovely, accommodating brother.”

“Uninvited. Probably should be a crime. Trespassing actually – so I think it really is.”

“Well,” Pritchard reached into the breast pocket of his purple Members Only jacket. “You can always vote on that one then, I guess.” He handed Marlon a pile of mismatched papers and pamphlets.

Marlon held the pile in his fingertips as though it were a particularly disgusting hors d’oeuvre. “What’s this?”

“The month’s referendums. I checked, and you haven’t voted in three years, so I took it upon myself to bring ‘em out here for you. Thought you might wanna try to actually participate in modern society again.”

“Why would – never mind.” Marlon opened a pamphlet and began to read.

“I thought you could fill them out over dinner. Although I’m gonna assume you don’t have enough food for a meal for two. I won’t leave until you’ve got all those filled out, though.”

Marlon set the pamphlet on his lap and looked over at his brother. “I’m sorry, but there’s no way. Thank you for driving all the way out here, but I just can’t do it anymore.”

Pritchard rolled his eyes. “Your apathy is boring me.”

Marlon stacked the pamphlets in a neat pile on the porch. The old sheepdog sniffed them for a second and then continued on with apparent disinterest. “There’s no way, Perch. But I’ll make you dinner anyway, if that’ll shut your annoying jabber.” He stood up to leave, but Pritchard grabbed his arm.

“Oi, one second, kiddo!”

“Hmm?”

A maniacal smile flickered across Pritchard’s face. “You got anything good to smoke?”

Marlon laughed for the first time that day. “I should’ve known. I should’ve known. You city folk don’t have anything good to smoke nowadays?”

“Well I mean, yeah, of course we have some stuff. But you’ve gotta get it all through the municipality now, and I already used my whole ration for the month.”

“And? You think I’m obligated to just give you my grass?”

Pritchard smiled and shrugged. “I brought you all your important mail.”

“Like I needed it. Wait a minute, I’ll be right back.” He entered the house.

The old sheepdog returned to Pritchard, once again sniffing his dirty sneakers. Pritchard held his hand over the dog’s head and after that slight moment of reservation proceeded to pat him.

Marlon returned, joint in hand. “You’re welcome,” he said, moving to hand it to his brother. But he stopped fast, holding it a few inches above Pritchard’s anticipatory hands. “Wait a minute – tell me I was right.”

“In which instance? Come on, just hand it over.” He attempted to snatch the joint from Marlon’s hand.

“Nah, nah, wait a minute. Here’s a clear instance. I always told you we shouldn’t let the municipality centralize pot. And now they’ve done it, just like you wanted, and now you’re complaining. So who was right?”

Pritchard rolled his eyes. “It’s still better this way. I’m happy with it. Now come on! Don’t be like that.”

Marlon renounced and set the joint in his brother’s palm, who immediately stuck it in his mouth, drew a match, and lit it. For several minutes they sat in silence, relishing the smoke and stillness of the evening in general.

“You know I really do like it out here, Perch. You don’t have to worry.”

Pritchard considered. “It’s not that I’m worried.”

“What, then?”

“I just know you can’t possibly like it as much as you make out.” He burst out into a chuckle.

“And why not?” Marlon asked, flushed. “Nothing wrong with it in the country.”

“I mean, when you first decided to move out here, I gotta admit I thought it was a little weird. I didn’t think it would last. I mean, how did it? What do you do all day? Don’t you miss people?”

Marlon shrugged. “Not in particular. I’m tired. I’m done. I’m having my hour of relaxation in bed before I go to sleep, and I think I deserve it.”

Silence followed, broken only by the crickets, which were becoming increasingly active. The moon shone overhead, illuminating parts of the field. A single cow sauntered in front of the porch.

“You haven’t asked me how I’m doing,” said Pritchard.

“I know.”

“In that case, I’ll let you know that I’m doing good. Work’s good, the wife’s good, the kids good. She’s five now, you know?”

“Little Dawn. She was a cute kid.”

“Thanks, I think the same.”

Marlon took a deep breath. “Does – never mind.”

“What?”

“Nothing. Nothing important.”

Pritchard leaned back and took the last drag of the joint, allowing the smoke to hover across his face. “I already know what you’re going to ask. I don’t see Lorelei ever, really. I’m sorry, Mo. I don’t really have any advice for you on that one.”

“It’s fine.” Marlon stood up. “I oughta get started on dinner.” He entered the house and Pritchard followed suite. After the sound of the screen door slamming behind the brothers, the outside once again returned to tranquility. The old sheepdog lay perpendicular to the edge of the porch; chin resting on his paws, observing the wind weaving through the blades of grass. The air was still and now much cooler than it had been throughout the majority of the day. And it was heavy.

There was a sudden commotion from within the house. The old sheepdog immediately stood up and ran towards the door, barking incessantly and then scratching at the screen door. For approximately thirty seconds the sounds of a struggle could be heard from within – shouting voices, a dish breaking and, at last, a gunshot.

The night was once again still.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:49 pm
Cptdapper wrote a review...

So where to begin. When I first began reading this I was in what I can now only describe as awe. I could see the cows ,hear the swing, and most importantly I could feel the cool air of the wind. The description of your writing is for lack of a better word Magnificent. I felt as if I had known these characters their entire lives just from the little backstory I was given. The world you crafted whether it be fictional realistic or both captivated me, which in a way is a hard feet as this type of setting usually bored me. You however kept it interesting In a way it wasn't before, You made me see it in new detail that while simple was extremely descriptive.

I must say that I had to re read the last paragraph as it took me by complete surprise and in a way it saddened me. I agree with the others in how it was extremely unexpected but beautifully done.

So now onto your writing style (which this already was a rather short review, My first also) A beautifully crafted story and in no way is the writing style Monotonous or dry. I understand the feeling of believing your writing style is how you put it, dry but understand it's an amazingly descriptive way that kept me intrigued throughout.

All I can truly say Is I have high hopes for what it is you will write next weather it be the continuation of this(hopefully) or something new.

thank you very much, where are you from? i'm curious :)

Cptdapper says...

The United States, Why?

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:19 am
horrendous wrote a review...

hey, review for you. i'll tell you straight away, i love your writing style. its extremely descriptive and allows the reader to see ordinary things like sunsets in a new way. i can tell you've hashed your characters out very thoroughly. the dialogue is fluid and the characters' personalities and tendencies stay consistent.

i agree with hightop about the twist in that i didn't see it coming at all. i thought the scene was going to close on the dog looking out at the field or the brothers having dinner, there was absolutely no suspicion on my part that someone was going to he shot. it kind of changed the way i felt about everything i just read. i thought it was all light-hearted banter, but apparently there was tension there that wasn't apparent through reading.

overall, i really liked this. your writing style is amazing.

thanks a lot for the review.

I intended to make it surprising. I can explain entirely why, but I think it's somewhat irrelevant. Regardless I'll give you a concise version. The reader is supposed to be unsure as to whether Pritchard shot Marlon or Marlon shot Pritchard. The reader enters the story knowing someone got shot, and is given the entire novel to guess who. The entire story that follows this is under Marlon's perspective and is somewhat sympathetic towards Marlon. However, Marlon carries a certain philosophical perspective that I do not agree with, but most people also carry. The intention is for people to recognize this perspective within themselves and question it after they see the moral deprivation that Marlon experiences. A little too long, but I wish only to explain why I wanted to both keep this scuffle a surprise and leave it unsure as to who was shot. Sorry if this explanation was unclear, I'm really uhh tired.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:16 pm
Gardevite wrote a review...

Here as requested. Let's get started!

First impressions
To be perfectly honest, the beginning bored me. When I say the beginning I mean the first three paragraphs. Your opening paragraph, while informative, was very description heavy. I felt like you were trying to dump the entire setting on the reader. It was unnecessary, because you went on to describe the setting perfectly in the dialogue.
I was very uninterested until Pritchard arrived. Then as I started to learn more and more about the characters, I began to get interested. I love the conflicting personalities that I'm seeing. The old recluse and the (seemingly) youthful city man.

writing style
You have a very different writing style than I'm used to. I have one complaint, in that it reads very slowly. You use lots of punctuation, a very average sentence length and a plethora of large words. It slows the reader down, and with the previously mentioned beginning paragraphs, it could make a reader want to stop reading. Throwing in a few short sentences would not hurt.
I love your descriptive writing, especially with the dialogue. I know what the characters are doing and when at most times. It reflects their personalities and shows that you've really thought your characters through. One thing I would like to see is small descriptions of the characters' faces and facial expressions. I want to know how one man reacts to the others words, as there is some conflict.

Tone/atmosphere
I did not see that twist coming. Like at all, in any way. Which says two things.
1) You kept your twist from being too obvious. Which is a good thing.
2) When I began reading I felt like I had nothing to look forward to.

It's hard to write a twist and not make it obvious. What you did is remove all evidence that something was going to happen. You have to improve the tone of this piece so I know that there's something big and juicy waiting for me at the end. A good way of doing this is raising suspicion, mostly by how one character acts/talks. There was suspicion with why Prichard arrived in the first place, but you closed that end up without future reference. 7

I want to know where this is going. You've hooked me! I loved your characterization, it really shone through. I liked your descriptions, but try bringing them back a bit at the beginning. I love the setting. Feel free to bug me when/ if the next chapter is posted!

-Hightop.

Hey thanks a lot, I really appreciate this review. Most of the reviews I get on here are more like "yeah this was really good, I liked it, etc" so I really appreciate a review that actually criticizes.

Firstly I must say I am in no way defending my language in the first several paragraphs. However, I just want you to consider that this isn't intended to be a sort of internet B-project. In other words, I don't think I can be expected to explain my setting in a few short sentences. I wrote this as the introduction to a standard novel. With that in consideration, how do you think I could make it more interesting besides simply shortening the sentences and utilizing shorter words? I would prefer to not to deliberately diminish the intellectual level of my writing, but would also like it to actually interest the reader.

Secondly, I'm glad you found the ending to be surprising, but I somewhat already supposed that was inevitable. My real question - was it eminent what actually occurred at the end? And who initiated whatever in fact occurred?

Thanks again,
Lena

Gardevite says...

No problem!

Well to spice things up, if that's what you're looking for, methods such as foreshadowing could help. For example, referencing the gun. It makes the reader think "Why is there a gun? Who's going to get shot?" as there are no empty references is fiction, everything besides essentials gets cut, usually.

Oh yes of course I liked the ending! It just shocked me a tad. I do like shocking twists, but I was focusing on basically grabbing readers by the hand and blindly leading them to the end. Let them know they're going somewhere, just don't be obvious about it. Another place where foreshadowing could come in handy!

I think maybe Pritchard shot the gun. (If that's what you're asking.) I don't know, he doesn't seem to be the most sincere person. A bit like Brad Pitt in 'Thelma and Louise' but I digress.

Glad you liked the review!
-Hightop.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:00 am
Snowery wrote a review...

Sorry I'm posting this again because I forgot to save it as a review the first time!!

Hi Lena, I'm Silver! This is my first time reviewing so I hope that I do your piece justice. :)
I though that it was amazing! Your writing is not dry at all! From your vivid descriptions I could clearly picture the setting and the events that unfolded. I think that your writing is actually quite beautiful and very expressive. You have great vocabulary and your characters (yes even the cows!) seem quite real and tangible. I really have nothing negative to say, only that in the line: “Wait a minute – tell me a was right.” I think that "a" was supposed to be "I" but that's something that you can edit. You have a really cool story here and I really hope that you continue!! Looking forward to see more!!

Silverlock

congrats on your first review! it was sure a lot better than my first review!
that being said, welcome to YWS and feel free to seek my help whenever questions exist

I'm a fledgling potato bird that lives in a nest in the rp forums
— Ley