12+

Etienne

by emjayc

I’m watching you drown right now. Your petrified, round eyes stare out at me, glazing over. I tremble from the gruesome pleasure it gives me to see the bubbles slowly float from your mouth and rise to the surface. You bang on the glass with your fists as you kick and the frightened look on your face tells me that soon you will have to give in. Why does it disturb me that I delight in your futile agony, Étienne? Perhaps there remains a fragment of a moral compass within my soul? Or does the calm resentment of my own actions simply increase me twisted amusement?

Oh, how you writhe behind the crystal glass. For one final moment your fragile eyes find mine and then a small, precious bubble extinguishes the life within your lungs. Étienne, your hollow, white face shall haunt my dreams forever after.

I awake in a cold sweat, shivering underneath the saturated bed sheets. To my horror, I can still see your dead image superimposed over the darkness of my room. My friend, why is it that so often I dream that I killed you? I was a mere onlooker, yet the fact that I had a desire to rescue you and at the same time was fascinated by your anguish shall never leave me. This is not the first time this nightmare has crept so vividly into my sleep, nor shall it be the last.

Every morning I dread the night, knowing that the memory is intimate and near. You must know that I did not mean to cause you to fall into the glass tank? When the bolt closed, I panicked. The theatre was empty and a 13-year old boy does not have the height or strength to unclasp such a bolt. Étienne, I remember watching you die while tears streamed down my face. Still, although the sight struck terror within me, I continued to observe, utterly riveted.

We should not have snuck backstage. It is my deepest regret and it stains my heart with a black decay that eats it away day after day, night after night.

So, here I am, once again gazing at myself in the mirror. The light of the candle barely casts away the shadows that encroach my sleep. If you can see me now, eight year later, Étienne, you recognise that I have constantly paid for our childhood foolishness. And you paid with your life.

As I regard the reflection in the mirror, I notice the numerous folds underneath my dark eyes. The eyes themselves lack all signs of vitality and have turned from a cheerful brown to a troubled obsidian. I am a phantom, but I live. My visage is pale and appears eerie below my black hair. And yet, this ghastly apparition is not unattractive. He is just weighed down by the past.

You must recall that I used to be an aspiring marine biologist. My aunt used to take us to the seashore and for hours we would wonder over the alien creatures that know the secrets of the ocean. Following your drowning I could never look at the lapping waves and seek refuge, for they became threatening on even the sunniest days. Water is humanity’s weakness. So why is it, Étienne, that the water draws me to itself, calling my name…?

I return to bed and attempt to think of other things, but all I can think of is you. You shall forever be to me a dying 12-year old boy.

Morning dawns and as I have not been able to close my eyes, knowing what will occur, I eagerly accept the sun’s warm rays against my shivering flesh. Today, Étienne, you have driven me too far.

I get dressed. I wear a suit and tie, donning shiny black shoes the colour of my sick eyes. When I look in the mirror and see the mess of thick ebony hair, I want to straighten it out, but I decide against it.

Étienne, you know where we used to live? In the comfortable French village beside the ocean? Even after your death I remain there. I am rooted here. Visited by the banshee announcing your descent to the grave, day after day, night after night. Today I plod slowly toward the ocean. The ocean I have avoided for so long. As I walk, I see the grains of sand plunged beneath the strength of the sea, and then they show themselves again. At this time of day no one is here yet. Just a lone seagull preening its gray feathers. It tucks its beak inside its wings and watches me with its black eye.

Now I stop in sight of this beast they call the ocean, this beast I call my nightmare. In my dreams, it is encased in glass and there is a bolted lid.

I carefully remove my jacket and toss it to the side. The seagull flies away. Here I slide off my shoes.

Étienne. You must forgive me. I approach you as I approach the sea. My pants are soaked and the gentle waves push against me. I still fight them as they embrace me.

The salty tang of the sea obliterates me. As I join you, Étienne.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:22 pm
marbleeyes says...

that was one beautiful story!!!i loved it.

emjayc says...

Thank you :D

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:01 pm
EmilieHaugaard says...

Wow, this was amazing :)

emjayc says...

Thank you :)

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:07 pm
birk wrote a review...

Hey emjay!

First off, welcome to YWS! I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Alright, I'll be doing a quick review here, as its quite a short story and I don't have many errors or faults to comment on.

Even though the story is this short, its really well done. You decide to only focus on this event and how it affects your MC in the future and you never stray from it.

Your writing style is very good, easy to read and use good descriptions for your scenes.
The thoughts of the MC and how this event has changed him is well written and feels very real. Seeing as this is such a short story, more of a exercise of writing, the ending seems fitting.

As it was very well written, I only found a few grammatical errors. I'll go over what I found:

edit

actions simply increase my twisted amusement?

edit
see me now, eight years later, Étienne,

Well, aside from a couple of lines I found questionable, this is in fact all I found. Great!

I'm hoping to read longer stories from you Emjay. You have the skill to write great stories. Even though there wasn't too much imagination and creativity in this short, as it was more of a character exploration filled with good vivid scenes, I'm sure you have it in loads.

A larger story with an interesting and cool hook, coupled with your great imagery and the way you write your characters, would be fantastic. Looking forward to that.

Cheers
Birkhoff

emjayc says...

Thank you! Sorry for the typos. I always write everything by hand before I type it and I guess it was a slip of the finger. I joined this site to get opinions on my writing because I'm working on a book (much longer than this short short story).

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:25 am
Evilzombiekitten wrote a review...

From the start this story is interesting, It leaves many questions to ask, why did he drown him? what did they do backstage.
The way you start of the story is very dramatic and will catch many peoples attentions.
"I’m watching you drown right now. Your petrified, round eyes stare out at me, glazing over."
I like how you have worded things making the reader re-read and read between the lines, the style you have used is clever,detailed.

From early on in this story the characters emotions and personality reveals, slowly and very cleverly " I dream that I killed you? I was a mere onlooker, yet the fact that I had a desire to rescue you and at the same time was fascinated by your anguish shall never leave me." it shows here that the character is a friend to Etienne yet The pain and suffering caused fascinates him which shows his true feelings, and when it comes to saving someones life he can't Even though he tried. "a 13-year old boy does not have the height or strength to unclasp such a bolt. "

Even though this story is small , i enjoyed it a lot and i think many others should read this, the emotion and actions in this story is well thought out.

emjayc says...

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind