To Fall or Rise: Chapter 3

by megsug

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Merin sat with her legs crossed on her hard cot in the dark room one of the sisters had led her to with a window to her back. The gray of post dawn was spreading through the room, and she was trying to balance a white porcelain wash basin in her lap so there would be no ripples to distort her reflection. She ran her fingers over her smooth scalp, frowning at how alien it seemed. The sisters in the infirmary all promised it wouldn't be forever though they all wore scarves over their own heads. She tied her own black scarf around her head and studied her right hand detachedly. It was bound in a mitten of bandages and reeked of a sharp herbal tang that stung her nose. She had heard no promises about her hand.

~

Bana petted Elmanya's hair, humming softly. The girl thrashed in her sleep. One of her eyes was purple. Her lip was split. Scrubbing at a spot of blood on the yellow silken sheets, she grimaced as she just smeared the crimson drop onto a larger area. Her own body was covered with bruises, and she moved stiffly, but the other women who slept in their room had made no comment. She sincerely hoped what had happened wasn't normal. She shivered as Elmanya gave voice to a keening cry. They wouldn't survive.

.

After the sister had left, Merin had waited, naked, bald, in the dark. There was no way to know how much time had passed, and she was beginning to think this was just a way to get the homeless women off the streets. They cut her hair for wigs, and She shrieked and squinted against a bright light which bloomed into the room. Three dark silhouettes stood against the white, and one began to speak…

~

"Oh yes. We can work with you." The voice, coming from the shadow of a woman, flowed over Bana, seeping into her, down to her bones. It was smooth, soothing. Elmanya dropped her arm, and Bana felt herself relaxing. "Dears, I need you to drink this. Come here." Bana hesitated, but Elmanya went forward immediately. Gold flashed in the dim light as she lifted a bowl to her lips. Bana followed when nothing seemed to happen and the woman cooed, "Trust me. You're my daughter now. What would I do to harm you?"

The liquid was thick and coated Bana's mouth. It was tangy. Almost too sweet.

"Keep drinking, babies. Until it's gone."

Bana obeyed wordlessly. She started to enjoy the taste instead of thinking it was cloying. She didn't even realize something was wrong until the last drop slid through her lips. Her knees buckled. Her eyelids drooped. She saw Elmanya collapse. The last thing she saw was a woman's overpowered white face through blurry vision as she lit a candle before her eyes shut of their own accord.

.

"What is your name?"

She stared at them. They had robes that shimmered with rainbows of color. One hood was filled with fire, another with air, and the last held nothing but darkness. Though only one spoke at a time, they seemed to take turns talking per word, flowing as smoothly as though it had come from one mouth.

"Answer!" The one of fire billowed up, the flames acting as its face burning even brighter.

She pulled away, whispering, "Merin Cortanyas."

"The goddess takes nothing but purity. If you know you are not, ask for mercy now, and your death will not be painful."

She was silent, her breathing painful as she tried to take in enough air without making a sound.

The dark faced one came forward, took her hand.

She screamed.

~

She opened her eyes blearily.

A huge man stood before her, arms crossed, smirk in place.

She looked around, stretching her arms above her head.

The world was a hazy gold, surroundings undefined in a fog. "Where am I?" she murmured sleepily. Her mind was still moving slowly.

He picked her up, seeming not to hear her gasp. "Ryn did good this day." His voice shook in her chest as he held her close, as if he was guessing how much she weighed.

She hung there, shocked. His golden eyes roved over her, and he suddenly crushed her against his chest, his arms circling around her instead of under her arms. She thrashed as he brought his lips over hers, beating his shoulders. He pushed her against a wall, to free one of his hands for more exploration. Jerking her head away to take a breath she tried to scream for him to stop, but he invaded before she could voice anything.

"You stupid mortals. You never realize what I am at first. I am your god. You pledged yourself to me when you drank that blessed stuff Ryn pours into you. You, your soul, your body is all mine." He gave a chuckle that made her blood run cold. She struggled more as her heart fluttered in her throat.

He abandoned her when there was a rustle. "Two?" His voice sounded like that of a child's who's just discovered that he could have a second dessert.

Elmanya blinked up at them sleepily.

.

"We warned you." Now only the dark one spoke. His voice was cool, emotionless, much like the sister who had shaved her head.

She tried to jerk her hand away. "No. Stop."

He- it laughed, but it was mirthless, robotic. "Were you faithful to your husband?"

She swallowed around a lump in her throat, refused to speak, biting her lips instead.

"You can't hide it."

Her eyes widened as her mouth opened of its own accord. "…N-no." She screamed as her hand began to burn.

"Wait."

She sobbed in relief as the thing backed away and a golden light filled the room.

~

Bani covered her ears. He had taken a liking to Elmanya. She was screaming, screaming, screaming.

When he had turned his eye on Bani again, she had taken his attentions silently. That seemed to be what turned him off so. She wish she could tell Elmanya the same thing.

"You girls have been nice."

Elmanya was curled up in a ball now, crying.

"Maybe I'll call you back."

Bani certainly hoped not.

The golden glow that had been her surroundings for hours slowly faded to black.

.

The voice was a glass of cool water. A woman, her face serene, her hair woven with desert blooms stood before them all. She waved the three torturers away, and they left without voicing resentment or regret.

The woman eyed her. The gaze was of pity and kindness. "You have been very sinful, Merin Cortanyas."

Merin bowed her head in shame, cradling her hand.

"You were unfaithful." She paused, waiting for Merin to look up, and continued when she met the pained gaze, "And then you shifted blame to your sister, your own flesh who was only trying to save you from your path by following you to stop you." Her eyes were still kind, but there was also iron. "By all rights, you should be writhing on the floor now."

Merin sobbed.

"But there is something you have that I would like."

"Anything," she murmured humbly.

"A life for a life."

Frowning, Merin shook her head in confusion.

"Your lover gave you a gift, Merin, and I want her."

Merin stilled as understanding dawned. "Please," she begged.

"Your life for hers."

Merin bowed her head. She was a coward. "Take it."

The goddess smiled. "Smart, Merin."

.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

The sisters made promises to try to bring their new priestess out of her gloom, but they were empty. She knew.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:58 pm
SlushySlapped wrote a review...

Hi again!

I feel like my opening is getting old. Haha.

It looks like EloquentDragon really covered all of the technical stuff so I'm not going to comment on that. I do have to say I disagree with the ending of their review. I'm not sure if they read the first two chapters, but I didn't feel like random character popped up. Also, how they got there is something that can be added to the story. That's part of pulling the reader in, so that they can continue reading to find out why.

Once again, I think you did an amazing job on this! I liked the way you went back and forth in this and how the sisters lives were connected, even though they chose different groups. The only thing I was confused about, which I might have missed, is how Merin's hand was injured? But that's it. Great job, hun!

Keep Writing!

:D

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:14 pm
EloquentDragon wrote a review...

I’m going to jump right in here:

Merin sat with her legs crossed on her hard cot in the dark room one of the sisters had led her to with a window to her back.

*Ahem*

There is a very handy writing tool that you can use called punctuation. This sentence runs-on, but not length-wise. Individual thoughts need to be separated with commas and periods. i.e.:

“Merin sat with her legs crossed on the cot in the dark room. One of the sisters had led her here, and now stood with her back to the window.”

(I added a period and two commas, and rephrased things so they would fit correctly into that structure.)

It definitely helps to go back over things and read through what you wrote at least once before submitting. If you hit any snags just read it out loud, that will often help suggest to you where the problem is at.

The gray of post dawn was spreading through the room, and she was trying to balance a white porcelain wash basin

The gray of “early dawn,” I believe. “Post dawn” is usually rather blue. And its “washbasin” or “wash-basin.”

The sisters in the infirmary all promised it wouldn't be forever though they all wore scarves…

Add a comma. “it wouldn’t be forever, although they all wore scarves…”

She sincerely hoped what had happened wasn't normal. She shivered as Elmanya gave voice to a keening cry.

Huh? What? This doesn’t make any sense. Also, why do you pause and give us such a short, disconnected scene here? It serves no purpose. Either add more meat to this or cut it out entirely.

They cut her hair for wigs, and She shrieked and squinted against a bright light which bloomed into the room. Three dark silhouettes stood against the white, and one began to speak…

Now this is a flashback? Please, try and tell this story chronologically. Stop jumping around all over the place. Chose one scene and stick with it for a while. And this here should be:

“They had cut her hair for wigs. [add transition here] She shrieked and squinted as bright light bloomed in the room.”

of thinking it was cloying.

What is a “cloying” taste anyway? I’ve heard people use it to describe wine, but personally I find it rather, well, cloying. And a kid wouldn’t think that anyway.

She saw Elmanya collapse. The last thing she saw was a woman's overpowered white face through blurry vision as she lit a candle before her eyes shut of their own accord.

Now this is a run-on. And why is Elmanya collapsing when it was Bani who drank the poison?

“The last thing she saw was a woman’s overpowering white face through her blurry vision, she lit a candle before Bani’s eyes and they shut of their own accord.”

they seemed to take turns talking per word, flowing as smoothly as though it had come from one mouth.

Now here’s where you can pull out the vocabulary.

”They spoke consecutively, each taking one word, but their speech flowed as smoothly…”

Ahh…. What?

”The fire-being’s hood billowed up, the flames of its face burning even brighter.”

(Although I must say, that’s a really odd action to try and describe.)

"The goddess takes nothing but purity. If you know you are not,

If she is not purity? Don’t think anyone is “purity.” That’s “pure” there, “If you know you are not pure.”

She was silent,

Just saying, you need more direct pronouns here. Only use one indirect pronoun per sentence, and make sure you tell who is speaking/acting after dialogue lines.

"Ryn did good this day."

No, this does not make him seem more educated/refined, just foreign. “Ryn did good today”
would be better, although that’s a very colloquial phrase and if you want him to sound intelligent I would recommend having him say something else entirely.

guessing how much she weighed.

If he’s holding her he wouldn’t need to “guess” her weight.

"You stupid mortals. You never realize what I am at first. I am your god. You pledged yourself to me when you drank that blessed stuff Ryn pours into you.

I really don’t like the word “stupid.” I can’t count how many times I’ve seen it, and no matter what it always sounds extremely out of place. (Unless it’s in a contemporary setting, which this clearly is not.)

He abandoned her when there was a rustle.

What sort of sound is a “rustle?” A rustle of what? And how can he hear that to begin with when she’s making such a ruckus?

His voice sounded like that of a child's who's just discovered that he could have a second dessert.

This kills the suspense here. It’s rather, well, um, childish.

“He –it—laughed. But it was mirthless, robotic.”

Bani again, she had taken his attentions silently. That seemed to be what turned him off so.

Huh? What? You can be a bit more overt here. It sounds painfully anachronistic here.

“she took his groping stare in silence, which seemed to turn him away.”

She wish she could tell Elmanya the same thing.

Not only is this incorrect, it makes no sense where this sentence is. “She wished she could have
told Elmanya…” although what, exactly, is she telling her?

"You girls have been nice."

This is weird.

"And then you shifted blame to your sister, your own flesh who was only trying to save you from your path by following you to stop you." Her eyes were still kind, but there was also iron. "By all rights, you should be writhing on the floor now."

Here:

[i]”And then you shifted the blame to your sister, your own flesh and blood, who only tried to stop you from following down such a dark path.” Her eyes were still kind, but there was iron behind them. “By all rights you should be writhing in your own blood now.” (Or, “lying dead on the floor now.”)

The goddess smiled. "Smart, Merin."

This isn’t as patronizing as it should be. It’s broken.

So, there is one major problem with this.

What the heck is going on?

This is all very poetic and “flowy,” which is nice, but that can only work in the prose itself. You still need to have a logical sequence of events. Event a must lead to event b. Characters can’t just suddenly pop into the scene, you need to explain why and how they got there. Things flow to fast. Story is lost in the disconnected brokenness of the whole thing. Try and sit down and plan out what happens on a sheet of paper. Say “okay, and then this happens” but ask yourself “why?” Logic is all about the why… you must have the why answered. And maybe you do, but you just need to make that clearer to your reader.

~ED

megsug says...

I was playing with a new style I saw in A Brave New World. Obviously the experiment was a flop. ;)

Well, not a total flop, but largely idiosyncratic.

I liked the style, but I do believe you should try and follow a more logical sequence of events.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:04 pm
Niraco wrote a review...

Hey there. Let's just jump right into the review!

I enjoyed this as an opening to your chapter. The descriptions were good but it didn't feel very heavy which is also a good thing. The words were easy to read and I didn't find any technical mistakes.

Three dark silhouettes stood against the white, and one began to speak…

Your use of the triple dot here I felt wasn't 100% needed. It did a certain dramatic effect but it maybe didn't need the dots when the words really speak for themselves.

All in all I really enjoyed this chapter and felt that it was written in a magical and enchanting way.

Your ending

Really left me hungry for more.

Happy writing!

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:57 pm
Messenger wrote a review...

The Messenger Knight here to review for KotGR. Happy Review Day!

Bana petted Elmanya's hair, humming softly. The girl thrashed in her sleep. One of her eyes was purple. Her lip was split.

So, the first bold spot is because a comma is necessary after this word, or else it means that the sister had a window behind her back while she was leading the main character to the room, and I know that isn't right. :)
The second bold part is because that section has a bunch of really short sentences. While it's good for effect and impact sometimes, it doesn't really go well in this section. Consider writing "One of her eyes was purple, and her lip was split." Your decision.
By the way, besides the sentences being really short, I liked the way you describe everything up to this point. Curiosity question: how do you pronounce those names? :)

This whole place is confusing because the dialogue isn't separated by character. It needs to be re-done. If it was all about what the woman was doing it would be fine, but because you start writing what Elmanya and Bana are doing, you need to start new lines with them.

OK, done reading. So, this was very interesting, but I feel it could be better if you kept it in view-point of only two people instead of three or four. IT makes things confusing frankly, and you can't get as deep into the characters emotions. It says that Elmanya sobbed, but we never get to see what is running through her mind. I haven't read the previous chapters so I don't understand all of what was going on, but still enough to be able to read it fine.
Keep it up!

Every first draft is perfect, because all a first draft has to do is exist.
— Jane Smiley