z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Fear

by LoveIsInTheAir


Each morning when I go out to get in my truck, I see little eyes staring at me from the woods. I often wonder what they think of what they see. Are they afraid or curious? Maybe they see me as the monster in their most spectral dream or as a beautiful creature that they always imagined they could meet. Their furtive tricks tickle my neck like a tag on a shirt. I always seem to find myself wondering why they never came out of the woods. What were they afraid of? What did they have to fear? The bigger question was, what did I have to fear? Why hadn't I lurked stealthily in to the woods, finding myself analytical to what I was actually looking for?

People fear things because there minds create a chain reaction in the brain that starts with a stressful stimulus and ends with the release of chemicals towards the heart and lungs. Many fear of losing things, but they have to take the risk.

The brute may not come and examine our presence, because fear overcomes their mind. Whether the creature with the so-called gleaming eyes feels frightened, curious, or even interested, fear can subjugate the mind and prevent them from looking further in to things that may seem peculiar to them in any way. You may have an idea in your mind that is probably relevant to mine as to why we fear things. Fear is not a disease, it is not something we are compelled to do, it is a trick our mine plays on us, very cleverly at that.

We do not know what lies behind our biggest fear, so why do we fear it? What makes us think that the cause and affect to our decisions when facing a fear will turn out to be a complete disaster? I don't actually know the right answer, but I know that some of my theories can be rational. The study of fear and why we have it is something that has intrigued me for quite sometime now. I hope it interests you too.

When you see those gleaming eyes in the depths of the forest again tomorrow morning when you awaken, be sure to find yourself being pulled towards the strange mysteries of the things you wonder every day. I can almost guarantee you'll find something that you weren't expecting. Maybe you will even find yourself facing more fears, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves here.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 272
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:20 pm
SecretHaven wrote a review...



Wonderful~ I have always been interested in what causes fear. The way you put it makes it very clear for me to understand. It makes me want to face my fears that I have had since I was little, I know that it will lead to more fears, but that is just the start of a new journey to tell. Great story. It was written very well. Keep it up~




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 940
Reviews: 5

Donate
Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:34 am
CrystalCore wrote a review...



Heyo ^^
I found this really interesting to read, infact it might have given my the goosebumps. You are really able to understand this piece because any human being has been scared at least once in their life. No one is really able to understand why we fear something more then an other but you clearly give us a good answere to that question. Fear as you describe it, is able to "overcome" minds making us have these reactions. We could also describe this feeling in a aspect of survival. Have you never sat next to somoene on a high platform and got this idea to push her off?
For me fear is only the object of are imagination. To finish off i absolutly loved this short, i admire this mysterious aura you give out from it.

Thanks for reading all this even though it probably doesn't make any sense :p

aki






Haha it did.



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 276
Reviews: 13

Donate
Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:30 am
avidav wrote a review...



Hey avidav for a review.

This was pretty cool thanks for keeping it short. Some of the stories on here stress me out at the length. It did feel more like an essay than a story, but you made it enjoyable to read with the good beginning hook. I like your thoughts on fear which is kind of a topic people don't wonder about to often. Why they fear? What's to fear? And at the same time we are attracted to the excitement of fear. Either way I liked it. Thanks!






Oh you're welcome! Yea I get stressed when they are 20 paragraphs long too



User avatar
394 Reviews


Points: 16710
Reviews: 394

Donate
Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:22 am
KnightTeen wrote a review...



Hi, this is Knight Teen of the Green Room Knights here to give you a review.

I don't really know what to make of this.

It feels like an essay, and yet it's not one at all.

Your grammar and spelling is good, though.

And I did like this. I thought that you talked about fear in a way that everyone can get.

The ending as amazing, by the way.

KT






Thanks for the review!



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 366
Reviews: 10

Donate
Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:30 pm
naominana wrote a review...



The first paragraph was more toward the fictional kind and at first I thought, 'okay, cool, creept eyes, yup'. And then it got more scientific and then I was like, 'Uhuh, okay I can read this...*glaze*' because I'm not a smart person.
What I thought was good about this was the description you put into this. I also liked how you managed to fix the fiction with fact to create some hybrid story, that was cool. I also liked how you tied off the story with relating back to the more fictional beginning.
Something that doesn't sit right with me, though, is the last sentence,
Maybe you will even find yourself facing more fears, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves here.
What does the last part mean? Are we not already ahead?

That's just me, but the way you right amazing, I look forward to new things from you.






Awh thank you! The beauty of it is, is that the ending can mean whatever you want it to




The worst bullies you will ever encounter in your life are your own thoughts.
— Bryant McGill