z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Pros and Cons Nowadays

by ValenciaAndrea


PROS AND CONS NOWADAYS

“Bill Gates is a very rich man today… and do you want to know why? The answer is one word: VERSIONS.” (Barry, 2013). Technology really evolves further and faster that makes us people be modern. The real issue about technology is not whether it is good or bad but whether we are grown-up and mature enough to use wisely what we have created. Technology helps us in so many ways like for entertainment, for business, for transportation, for communication, for enhancement and for convenience. Technology has limitations, limitations that can lead us to destruction and different perceptions. On the other hand, technology has wonderful power to enrich our lives. In this case, these devices come in variation such as devices for enhancement, environment and convenience.

Technology can have different cluster. First, the variation of devices for entertainment/enhancement. According to the famous book of Daniel J. Levitin(2006), “This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession”, in this book he explains that music can take advantage and increase our physical, emotional and mental health. On the other hand, an invented virtual machine that helps the net to host fewer physical servers, translating into lower costs for hardware acquisition, maintenance, energy and cooling system usage (Tynan, 2005). Now, we are living in golden age of devices and we can easily spend more time to entertain ourselves and to enjoy our past times (Szkolar, 2012 ). Computer technology has been advancing so rapidly that new devices are discovered faster than anyone can keep pace. Some OFW’s can instantly communicate to their relatives. Furthermore, they tend to use computers rather than their own brains for many tasks that they should be able to perform without mechanical assistance. Some students use devices to cheat (Zernicke, 2002). Devices for entertainment and enhancement have so many advantages and disadvantages cause and effect on people around us.

The second one is the variation of devices for convenience. Almost everyone believes that technology has made life easier and more comfortable and that it has enabled us to perform tasks that we could not do otherwise. By using these devices you can talk to anybody, anytime (Dogra, 2010). You can use it for emergency, internet and information access, banking and photography. Electronic processing creates greater opportunity for error like in some many case, criminals allow to attack to access private computer networks. Moreover, mobile phones make a person lose his privacy as he can be accessed by anybody, anytime. In some business transactions, many people do scamming. The FBI has seen an increase in cyber criminals who use online photo-sharing programs to perpetrate scams and harm victims’ computers. Many cyber conflicts have been rapidly occurring like ransom. Somehow, devices for convenience can simplify your life yet complicated.

The last one is the devices for environment. Because of developments, we can travel further, faster and more comfortable. Using vehicles we can travel wherever you want in just a little moment. Some devices can help you to be more alert and inform in case of emergency like using alarms. It makes our lives become well (George, 2008). We live in a more dangerous world, not only because cars, trucks, and airplanes can kill but also because the ease and speed with which we can get from one place to another has made national borders more permeable. We have been seriously depleting the Earth's natural resources to run these some devices and have appreciably hastened global warming because of the gasses that they emit. We must be responsible on how to use it because so many possibilities that can affect especially in the environment.

Technology has many pros and cons. We arrogantly believe that it will be always the master of devices. Almost everyone believes that technology has made life easier and more comfortable and that it has enabled us to perform tasks that we could not do otherwise. On the other hand, technology has been advancing so rapidly that new devices are discovered faster than anyone can keep pace. Technology can have more developments. If we abuse using this technology, we cause irregular outbreaks of massive errors because we are stupid and careless. It can aids us yet it can waste us. Maybe somehow in our lives it guide and help. But you must use it wisely and legally responsible.

References:

Bigelow, Stephen J. (2005). Understanding the benefits of a virtual machine. Retrieved September 12, 2013 website: http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/tip/Understanding-the-benefits-of-a-virtual-machine

Dogra, Aastha (2010). Advantages of Mobile Phones. Retrieved September 12, 2013, website: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/advantages-of-mobile-devices.html

Elona, Jamie & De Jesus , Julliane Love (2013). De Lima: A number of lawmakers face raps in ‘pork’ scam. Retrieved September 12, 2013, website: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/475561/de-lima-a-number-of-lawmakers-face-raps-in-pork-scam

George, Patrick E. (2008). How Occupant Classification Systems Work. Retrieved September 12, 2013, website: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/ocs3.html

Grimes, DA (2007). Advantages and Disadvantages of Intrauterine Devices (IUDs). Retrieved September 12, 2013, website: http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-intrauterine-devices-iuds

Joseph, Chris . The Disadvantages of Vehicle Tracking Devices. Retrieved September 12, 2013, website: http://www.ehow.com/list_5887188_disadvantages-vehicle-tracking-devices.

Levitin, Daniel J. (2006). This Is Your Brain On Music. Retrieved September 12, 2013, website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Your_Brain_On_Music

Marzieh (2013, February 19). Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a car. Retrieved September 12, 2013, website: http://testbig.com/ielts-essays/discuss-advantages-and-disadvantages-having-car

Szkolar, Dorotea (2012). The 50 greatest gadgets of the past 50 years. . Retrieved September 12, 2013, website: http://www.pcworld.com/article/123950/the_50_greatest_gadgets_of_the_past_50_years.html

Zernike, Kate (2002). With Student Cheating on the Rise, More Colleges Are Turning to Honor Codes. Retrieved September 12, 2013, website: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/02/us/with-student-cheating-on-the-rise-more-colleges-are-turning-to-honor-codes.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Technology (November 24, 2010). The Disadvantages of Vehicle Tracking Devices. Retrieved September 12, 2013, website: http://gpsvehicle89.wordpress.com/2010/11/24/the-disadvantages-of-vehicle-tracking-devices/


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
88 Reviews


Points: 9590
Reviews: 88

Donate
Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:51 pm
whitewolfpuppy wrote a review...



Hey there! I'm Onyx and I will be reviewing your article today. :) Sorry this review is later than expected! :(

Comments
Good job! I like how the paragraphs match but there are a few things that I have a question about or some suggestions. So here we go! Again, sorry this review is later than promised.

“Bill Gates is a very rich man today… and do you want to know why? The answer is one word: VERSIONS.” (Barry, 2013).

Very nice job for quoting the words from the source. Most people think that the readers will just assume that the words will be spoken to them like they know the source off the back of their hand. So, good job here! :)

usage (Tynan, 2005). Now, we are living in golden age of devices and we can easily spend more time to entertain ourselves and to enjoy our past times (Szkolar, 2012 ).

Are you summarizing here?

Technology can have different cluster.

This doesn't really sound right to me, it could just be me.

Over all
So, I have a question about your paragraphs 2-4 talking about one idea when you should have stated that in the beginning paragraph? Unless that is how you are taught, it just is different than what I have seen. Over all, you did a wonderful job! Keep on writing and if you need anything else reviewed. Feel free to send me a message on my profile. If you have any questions or anything why I have mentioned something or changed a line or two. Feel free to send me a private message and we can talk it out. Thank you so much for your time,
~Knight Onyx




Guest Avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 100

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:25 pm
Maida Manaois wrote a review...



For the normal people, the title seems not easy to be grasp by. It might not be so interesting for them. But it's their choice. And my choice is to read this. And as I read your work, I understand what are you trying to point out. The overall article was good. The use of references are very well cited. Good luck! :)

[ Edit ]


Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:22 pm
NatsuDragneel says...



Your topic is very interesting. The content is excellent. Nice job. Keep it up. :D




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:00 pm
pauuulinejoy says...



I liked the way you started your essay! More likely when Bill Gates is the richest person in the world! That surely catch most of the attention because WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE RICH? :D




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:25 pm
MarkAtienza says...



I like the first sentence, It's very catchy




Guest Avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 100

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:55 pm
Elaine Balbuena says...



Nice one keep up the good work!

[ Edit ]


Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:55 am
Rodemar says...



nice essay.:)




User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:40 am
johnemmanuel says...



Nice work ,well done! keep up the work !




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:36 am
KayleMission says...



I like the way how you insert your citations and how you connect your own ideas with it.
Also, the way you use transitional devices. Overall, it is a very good article. Keep up the good work.! :)




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 16

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:27 pm
krizshelbenalycabral wrote a review...



Nice essay you got here!

I just noticed that on the second paragraph, the second sentence "First, the variation of devices for entertainment/enhancement," seems to be a fragment, not a sentence. May be you should consider adding "is" between "first" and "the" instead of a comma.

But other than that, minor grammar editing will do. This is a nice work. Keep it up! :)




Guest Avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 100

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:04 pm
Christian Paul Villarosa says...



This is a good essay indeed and this could be better and might be the best. I think you can already advance on practicing how to write technically that will help you in your future paper works. But for now, your essay is actually great. Keep it up!

[ Edit ]


Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:56 pm
View Likes
Raph says...



I'd like to point out your conclusion for it has given the summary of your ideas and topic
In overall, i like your essay keep up the good work :)




User avatar


Points: 357
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:49 pm
shielamendoza says...



A great one! :)) Keep it up




User avatar


Points: 449
Reviews: 4

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:48 pm
akosisab wrote a review...



I like your title it catches readers attention.

Your topic is good, I like how you elaborate your ideas and give some remarkable points.

The third paragraph is the best for me you cited how technology devices can help in our life.

Overall I like your essay, also I love the conclusion you've made .. Good Job. Keep it up :)




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:40 pm
janjan208 says...



nice work. keep it up




User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:33 pm
kriselleabby says...



You have a point on your essay. You elaborate well what technology is all about. Keep up the good work! :D




Guest Avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 100

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:31 pm
janjan208 says...



nice essay. keep it up..God Bless

[ Edit ]


User avatar


Points: 290
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:20 pm
franzmunoz says...



your title catches my attention. keep up the good work :)




User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:17 pm
kingteejay8 says...



I love it. You've made an excellent essay. Job well done. :D




Guest Avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 100

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:15 pm
john says...



Very well said. Good job!
keep it up! :)

[ Edit ]


User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 1775
Reviews: 19

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:06 pm
RachelLescano says...



Good job for balancing what are the specific pros and cons of technology. But I think it would be made better if unity and coherence with some of the details were strictly observed. But the essay was good. :)




Guest Avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 100

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:03 pm
michaela says...



nice topic about technology. this world is really fast changing.

[ Edit ]


Guest Avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 100

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:00 pm
DhorichelleTesoro says...



Nice essay :) Very interesting :)

[ Edit ]


Random avatar

Points: 315
Reviews: 1

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:32 am
Euclarkie says...



Very well said. Nice article, keep up the good work. :D




User avatar


Points: 378
Reviews: 1

Donate

Guest Avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 100

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:22 pm
Just24DoIt says...



Very well said you got it, keep it up! :))

[ Edit ]


User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:29 pm
Messenger wrote a review...



Knight Malachi here to review for the Knights of the Green Room.
First off, welcome to YWS! Hope yo have a fantastic time on here, and learn and rad some great stuff. Question: why are there all these technology posts? Are you in a class wh odid this as a project? Anyway, on to the review.

Technology really evolves further and faster that makes us people be modern.


That sentence seems awkward to me. It just doesn't sound right. I think a re-phrase job is in order.

Electronic processing creates greater opportunity for error like in some many case, criminals allow to attack to access private computer networks.

Once again, this line confuses me.

can simplify your life yet complicated.

I think you mean "Yet complicate it."

It can aids us yet it can waste us.

You have an unneeded s and aids.

Aslo, second to last sentence, you needs to add and S to guide.

Now, overall this was a pretty well written. You brought up some good points; some I agree with, and some I don't, but aside from that . . . except for those few things I pointed out, it was written well.
Keep it up!






Thank you for the compliment. :))





Yes, we are. it's a final project.



User avatar


Points: 475
Reviews: 4

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:56 pm
AiraPatricia says...



Very well said. Keep it up! :)




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:53 pm
marcial says...



Great essay!




Random avatar

Points: 319
Reviews: 1

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:37 pm
johnabulencia says...



Wow Interesting Hook! Well Said
:D




User avatar


Points: 449
Reviews: 4

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:30 pm
akosisab says...



I like the conclusion you've done .. Nice job .




User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:18 pm
charles23mds says...



Nice one. I like your essay. Keep up the good work.





Remember, a stranger once told you that the breeze here is something worth writing poems about.
— Shinji Moon