z

Young Writers Society



Technology on the Other Side

by preina14311


Palines, Reina Preciosa A. 13 September 2013

ComSki1 – T1B Final Term

Technology on the Other Side

We define technology as the innovation of all the things that we can hear, see, touch and feel. In the present generation, it is the greatest invention of man. It is the biggest contribution of human mind in the world of creativity. It benefits almost every creature that exists. It may be advantageous at times but it will always have adverse effects. Van Thompson, a writer, summarized those disadvantages into four points. First, technology is a form of distraction for many. Second,cheating is very easy when technology is involved. Third, the risk of having discipline problems is common for children. Lastly, technology used its power for alteration on most researches. Now, we see technology’s other side, danger, addiction, and threat (Thompson, 2013)

Since we are using social media to keep in touch with friends and relatives, we are aware of every status that was being posted online. We see photos and videos that are tools for entertainment. But, there are instances that we are seeing arguments of two people on social media. They are knowledgeably unconscious that other persons are affected of their trash words. We believe that there is nothing wrong with expressing one’s feelings but we should be responsible for every word that we speak and for every action that we show. Photos that impose explicit ideas are very dangerous for the teenager’s understanding. On getting a job, it will be very hard to be hired if you will be traced with negative profile that you weren’t able to understand the reason (Mikoluk, 2013). We can’t say that the people behind us are in favour of our opinion. Even our government websites are being hacked by those citizens who abuses the use of technology and who do care only for these stuffs (Christensen, 2013). This shows that technology helped the easy access on everything, positively and negatively.

In every school and home, teenagers are very at risk of addiction (Silin, 2013). The term addiction is pertaining to online gaming and the abuse in the use of internet and gadgets. They are very prone of having these vices because they are in the process of knowing who they really are and they thought that their friends, who are “techno-addicts” of the generation, will help them up. There are lots of gadgets that offer a lot of application to choose from. The everyday schedule of almost all youth is being divided to studies and internet stuffs only. They are lacking of physical intrapersonal relationships and interactions. The online games and social media are their best friend. With these, they are not aware of the addiction that can occur unknowingly and is very obvious to be seen by others. Adults are not exempted of this addiction. Sometimes, their actions are being mistakenly understood by the young ones. We can see that technology affects the social ability of each person not only for good but also for worse.

The demand of phones and tablets are alarming for the manufacturers and also for consumers. These materials are highly in demand for their multi-purpose function and easy access to internet. Because almost everyone is capable of having such gadgets, they have a reach far from being exposed to the negativities that technology can show them once abuse. These examples of gadgets for communication are very helpful for times of need. They are also used to have further information in one idea that you know. But, with these, we see people talking like they are not brothers and sisters. They argue for small things that if we will evaluate, is something that can be fixed thru personal talks. And because of this, cyber-bullying is a great issue of today. Phones are being used to talk behind peoples back. Threats are all-over technology’s name ever since.

As for now, we enjoy the benefits of technology. We experience the enjoyment that it brings us and other people. Communication, transportation, medication, etc., name it and technology will find a way to lessen human labor. All we wanted is innovation and, ease and comfort. Do we really need to live in the techno world like that we cannot live without it? Why do we make things complicated and dangerous to handle? Will it help the future generation if we keep our borders off to be expanded to other activities rather than on online games and social media? Today is the time that we should be aware of what is really happening around the world of innovation and transformation. Let us not look only to that of people are already looking at. We have our own stand and we should always remember to look on the other side of the window if it will ask for something that will require authentic transformation for the new sunrise of tomorrow. Our technological era may be a danger, addiction, and threat for now, but we can always find our best way to change it for the better.

References

Christensen, B. (2013). Common Internet Scams - An Overview. Retrieved from September 12, 2013, from Hoax-Slayer: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/common-internet-scams.html

Mikoluk, K. (2013, July 25). Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Networking: Should You Spend More Time Connecting Online? Retrieved from September 12, 2013, from udemy/blog: https://www.udemy.com/blog/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-social-networking/

Silin, P. M. (2013). Online Gaming Addictions. Retrieved from September 12, 2013, from Counsellor-Coach.Ca: http://www.counsellor-coach.ca/articles-online-gaming-addictions.htm

Thompson, V. (2013). The Disadvantages of Technology in College. Retrieved from September 12, 2013, from GlobalPost - International News: http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/disadvantages-technology-college-13124.html

4


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 11417
Reviews: 425

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:59 pm
Nate wrote a review...



Very interesting essay.

One of the things I worry about with the Internet is that you have an entire generation now growing up where participating in online forums and having information about anything just a few clicks away is normal. Both are of course great things -- online forums like YWS provide places to foster a specific hobby that otherwise most people would not have an opportunity to pursue. But then there are sites like Reddit and Twitter, which have no value whatsoever other than as pure timewasters. Not a huge issue, but it does become a huge issue when you spend hours on those sites every day (as many do).

So I like how you examine that aspect of modern technology, and I think you do a fairly good job of doing so. I also like how you point out in your conclusion that it can provide us with many benefits as well. However, you do want to avoid asking questions, particularly in a conclusion -- the purpose of which is to answer questions rather than ask them.




User avatar


Points: 357
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:26 pm
shielamendoza says...



Helpful for many students for being informative :))




User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:36 pm
kriselleabby says...



You have a point on your essay. Keep up the good work! :D




Random avatar

Points: 315
Reviews: 1

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:09 pm
View Likes
Euclarkie says...



Nice, I like your article. Keep up the good work. :D




User avatar


Points: 378
Reviews: 1

Donate

User avatar
508 Reviews


Points: 11770
Reviews: 508

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:45 am
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...



Knight Dragon, here to review!

First off, welcome to YWS! Okay, there are seriously a ton of these tech essays. Am I missing something? We've had this mass immigration of them.

Anyway...
Technical:
"...we are aware of every status that was being posted online." There's a change in verb tense. Fix "that was being posted".

"But, there are instances that we are seeing arguments of two people on social media." Change "we are seeing" to "we see".

"They are knowledgeably unconscious that other persons are affected of their trash words." Fix this. "They are [whatever you're trying to say without saying that they're knowingly doing something accidentally] that the other person is affected by their trash words."

"...it will be very hard to be hired if you will be traced with negative profile that you weren’t able to understand the reason" changes to "it could be very hard to get hired if you can be trace to a negative profile. [And then that's where I get lost. Fix that whole bit afterwards].

"...those citizens who abuses the use of technology and who do care only for these stuffs" should be "those citizens who abuse the use of technology and who only care for (please pick a different word than "stuffs". That tells us nothing)"

"This shows that technology helped the easy access on everything, positively and negatively.", your verb "helped" should be "helps".

" They are very prone of having these vices because they are in the process of knowing who they really are and they thought that their friends, who are “techno-addicts” of the generation, will help them up." Fix "because they are in the process of knowing" to "they are in the process of discovering", "they thought" to "they think", "of the generation" to "of their generation", and "help them up" to "help them out".

"They are lacking of physical intrapersonal relationships and interactions." should be "They lack physical intrapersonal...."

"With these, they are not aware of the addiction that can occur unknowingly and is very obvious to be seen by others" should be "is very obvious to others (or outsiders, parents, teachers, or observers)."

"Adults are not exempted of this addiction." should be "Adults are not exempt from this addiction."

"Sometimes, their actions are being mistakenly understood by the young ones. We can see that technology affects the social ability of each person not only for good but also for worse." Change "their actions are being mistakenly" to just "their actions are misunderstood". Also, "for good but also for worse" should be "for good but also for bad". [And PS- That's a pretty weak statement. "Good" and "bad" don't tell us much.]

"The demand of phones and tablets are alarming for..." the verb should be "is alarming"

"Because almost everyone is capable of having" should be "Because almost everyone has" or "almost everyone owns".

"...they have a reach far from being exposed to the negativities that technology can show them once abuse." Worded awkwardly, especially "have a reach far from".

"They are also used to have further information in one idea that you know." changes to "They are also used to gather more information on (or for) one idea that you know."

"They argue for small things that if we will evaluate, is something that can be fixed thru personal talks." changes to "They argue over small things that, if we evaluated them, would be something that could be fixed through personal talks." Comment on that statement: um, using the social network IS having that personal talk. I think you want "a face to face conversation." However, there will still be some that would argue that social networking accomplishes the exact same thing.

"Phones are being used to talk behind peoples back. Threats are all-over technology’s name ever since." You need an apostrophe on "peoples" so it's "people's", and "Threats....since" should be "Threats have been all over [delete the hyphen] technology ever since [name is unnecessary]."

"All we wanted is..." should be "All we want is..."

"like that we cannot live without it?" should lose the "that".

"Let us not look only to that of people are already looking at." is better as "Let us look not only at what others are already looking at, but [and then you need another statement]."

Hope this helps!



Random avatar
preina14311 says...


thank you so much :) It really helped me..



User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:17 am
charles23mds says...



I really like your essay. Keep it up :D




Random avatar

Points: 100
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:57 am
View Likes
Rodemar says...



i like your essay..:), it was very informative, keep up the good work..





Democracy! Bah! When I hear that word I reach for my feather Boa!
— Allen Ginsburg