Prisoner Chapter 1 (My first story)

by babygiggles

Hannah was finishing her shift at the "Burger Shack" just like every other Wednesday night. As soon as she was finished at locking up and walking towards the car park she noticed nobody was there, not even her ride home.

She grabbed her phone out of her pocket and rang her Dad, while waiting for him to pick up the phone she saw a few co-workers asking if she had a lift "Yeah, I’m ok my Dad should be here any minute, thanks anyway cya!" she said as she had the phone to her ear. As soon as he picked up she spoke "Hey dad! Where are you?" he responded "Sorry darling, I could caught up at work." she replied "That's ok Dad I should find another way home”. As soon as she hanged up she was looking around for her Co-workers she saw earlier, but they was no sight of them." Shit" She said as she checked her wallet, She had only 12 dollars, Not enough for a taxi but maybe half way home .

Home was An hour and a half away her parents always told her not to go to work so far away.

She rang the taxi; she stood there shivering in the blistering cold and 10 minutes later it shown up.

“Hi” she said as she got in the back seat of the cab and groaning at the warmth of the noisy heater on her skin. “Are you cold back there?” the cab driver asked as he pulled over to the side of the road. “I’m fine and it’s much warmer in here then out there.

"Err why are we pulling over this isn’t my house I gave my address to the operator lady on the phone. And I am afraid I don’t have enough for going all the way going there so what are we gan….” Hannah said, as soon as the car stopped gently not applying much pressure so he mustn’t be pissed or angry at Hannah’s try for a negotiation.

The started talking as he unbuckled his seatbelt and turned to face Hannah.” Oh I think we can come to some sort of deal my sweet……How old are you? And what’s a pretty little thing like you doing out this late? ” He gave a smartass chuckle, Hannah covered up any showing flesh and replied nervously “I’m 20 and I’m only out this late due to work,and I would’ve been home by now except my dad got held up at work and um……you can just let me out a few more blocks down if you want”

The driver did his chuckle again this time it was wicked “ Oh my sweet your not going anywhere” He said as he turned back around, put his seat belt back on and by the looks of it he must’ve pushed a button cause there was, some sort of smoke appearing out of nowhere. Hannah shriek and yelled “you can let me out here” he responded “ you know my sweet you never told me your name”

Hannah getting dazed and fuzzy vision and within a few seconds everything went back.

TO BE CONTIUED .........

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:35 pm
SarcasticMockery wrote a review...

Hiya!

You first chapter is a good length but I did notice (sorry) a lot of mistakes. They can easily be fixed and we've all done them.
I'll list a few examples and then you can fix them. (If you want.)

-car park (,) she noticed nobody---- Okay so you left out a comma (no big deal) but I'd read through it again and try to check for more typos because sometimes you can get sidetracked because the reader is noticing mistakes more and therefore looking for them without noticing, this takes the reader away from the story slightly.

- rang her (d)ad(.) --------- Dad doesn't need a capitol because it's not technically a title and because it's not a name. You put a comma instead of a full stop and that's logical but because the sentence is so long it makes more sense to put a full stop and start a new sentence.

-"- thanks anyway (C)ya!" (S)he ---------- Cya is obviously a name so it does need a capitol letter. You've finished the dialogue with a exclamation mark so you need to start the next sentence with a capitol letter. You've done this a lot in the text and I advise you to look through out the text and correct it. Same goes with the punctuation, some places don't fit right.
When you write dialogue, if someone speaks, you need to move it to a new line to make it easier for the reader to read. If that person speaks again it's alright to carry on with out starting a new paragraph, but if someone else speaks (answering a question or something) you do need to start a new paragraph.

When doing ellipses (...) You only need to do three, not three thousand.

The last sentence doesn't make sense.

Now read this.

Hannah, dazed, begun to get fuzzy vision. Within a few seconds everything was black.

It's made up with two sentences so it adds to what's happening as well as it's easier to read. You also need to keep in mind about your tenses.

I know all I've pointed out a lot of mistakes and haven't actually added anything about the story idea and compared to what I've read in the past it's good. I haven't read much of this genre because it's not my scene but it's a good opening.
It's got a lot of potential and i know if you work on it you'll make it one hell of a story. Keep writing and most of all make sure you enjoy it!

-Sarc

babygiggles says...

Thanks for the honest review but, I only have one thing to object is "cya" isn't a name.It's another word for see you later, People say it all the time so cya sarcastic.

But it's not a real word, see yar. Would be more correct.

babygiggles says...

Ok then. I've seen so many stories where a character says, things that they would say in real life. So what makes mine any different?

Of course you write what a real person says. But you write it correctly.
cya isn't a real word so you shouldn't really right it.
I've made a mistake, though you aren't entirely correct. You've written cya as just a word. It's actually a slang meaning it'll become c'ya. But when you're writing literature you need to write it correctly.
C'ya is more likely to be frowned apon rather than see ya'
You don't have to agree with me, I'm just trying to point something out. This is just something I've picked out but I gather with the c'ya that you're american and I'm British so we obviously write differently.

babygiggles says...

Wow ok firstly i forgot to put cya as c'ya.Secondly Im Australian which is Brittish Accent,So we speak the same.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:12 am
DragonNextec wrote a review...

Hey there Missy

I like the Story A lot,
Have to make sure you post the rest of it,
I wanna Know what the dad was doing to not pick up his daughter

I mean Was he drunk or something lol

Anyways would love to read the rest of it can't wait to see it
Can't wait to see what happens in the next one, :p tell us more bout the People in it what they do and everything,

But GREAT STORY!
Get up and do it!
(Kidding)
Have fun!

Dragon

babygiggles says...

Hey,

Thanks for taking interest in my story. And the dad didn't pick up, Hannah cause he got stuck at work, which it says it in the story.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:43 am
Kevikur wrote a review...

Welcome to YWS! It's awesome that you posted your first story here. I'm more than happy to give you a review.

I like the plot that you that you have somewhat established here-- I'm a huge fan of these genres and plot lines like this. But because I am a fan I have already read and watched a lot of movies that follow this story line and the biggest mistake a story or movie can make is not creating relatable characters, a well-established setting, and some interesting twists and turns. Otherwise the story is bland. I want to feel the terror of Hannah's situation, I want to hope she's all right. I want emotion.

Because you jumped right into the action, the reader hasn't gotton a chance to know Hannah. This can be easily fixed-- and some authors like to throw the reader into action and develop the character as things progress-- but we need to know her thoughts and feelings. You don't have to unload a bunch of information on us during the action but you can subtly give the reader bits and pieces to Hannah's character.

Also, your dialogue seems a bit flat. Without punctuation it's a bit hard to follow. Be careful what words you choose to use in dialogue because they can seem too unrealistic. However, it's always fixable.

I am greatly looking forward to the next chapter! I'm curious as to knowing more about the taxi driver. If you need help with fixing grammar errors or have any questions, I would be more than happy to help. Tell me when you post the next chapter! (-:

-Kev

babygiggles says...

Thanks Kev. I read people's stories on here and i was a little inmidated and nervous at the same time.

Kevikur says...

Don't be! Everyone here is really nice and chill. We all try and give constructive criticism because we want to see people improve. I liked your chapter so don't give up!

babygiggles says...

Good advice :)

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:10 am
Morkish wrote a review...

Hello, babygiggles!

I am here to give you your first review! For starters, the story started out great. You have some minor grammatical errors here and there you might want to go back and fix (I can point them out to you if you like). However, my biggest concern here is context. You really jumped into the action without much of a backdrop. Give a few paragraphs to develop the scene and your character. Also, how is Hannah feeling when she's in the cab. Towards the end, you speed up too much and I think some detail was lost. What did the cab and driver look like, did he seem like a bad guy, did the cab smell, did something seem a bit off to your character or was she oblivious due to her want to get home? Once again, if you have any questions on how to flesh out some detail and give a little more emotion, I can assist or the legion of YWS will surely be there for your benefit! I really like where this story is going, by the way. Although I felt the action came on too soon, I really got into it! Keep writing and I'll keep reading! :) Thank you!

babygiggles says...

thanks i like how you don't hold back and yeah, i know it's not perfect but you never know unless you try so thanks.

Morkish says...

Whatever you do, don't stop. The thing I hate about writing is this: you have such an amazing story in your mind, it's the writing it down part that's hard. However, the biggest advice I give everyone is this. KEEP WRITING! Why? Because in a year or two down the road, I want to look back at this same scenario written by you and not just see more detail...but see exactly what you have playing in your mind over and over again right now. I'm a newbie writer too, so I know the feeling. :P

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss