Mourning after

by Karzkin

You are the first
Spring rain
after a long, dry Winter.
The days are rusted shut,
flakes of iron sun
frozen and tarnished;
staring holes in the ceiling
overnight, I retraced my steps
as copper skies and hound's teeth
gave way to morning's ignition,
dawn splintering the curtains and your eyes
slowly turning amber like miniature parasols
of French marigold.
Your breath on the wire;
"Start with the sun,
everything else will follow."

DreamWork wrote a review...

Hi Karzkin,have a great day!Here is Dark to give review on your poem.

Your poem is quite compact with simile and metaphor elements.It capable to give emotional impact to the reader with the elements that exist in your poems.

#You are the first
Spring rain
after a long, dry Winter.-->Gloomy tone poem at the beginning but you able to make it into something beautiful in terms of language.But I wonder,who is 'you' refer to?

#The days are rusted shut,-->My gosh,really good and breathtaking.The simile makes this poem interesting to read.
flakes of iron sun
frozen and tarnished;-->Well,frozen?But you mentioned the sun right?So it does not fit here.

#overnight, I retraced my steps
as copper skies and hound's teeth-->Why do you clarify that the cloud was like copper? Is it because it is hard, or even a gray color like copper?
gave way to morning's ignition,

of French marigold.

I like this part! ;)

#Your breath on the wire;
"Start with the sun,
everything else will follow."-->The end of your poem is so enthralling and requires sharp thinking to understand. I'm sure the understanding depends on different perspectives of the reader.The rhythm is nice,I enjoyed reading your poem here.Keep it up!
Kudos,cheers
~Dark

Iggy wrote a review...

Happy Review Day!

First off, that font choice was a nice decision. It was hard for my eyes to adjust at first (I'm weird) but I came to like it! It does make the size look a bit bigger than usual.. intentional or no?

Anyways, excellent imagery! Simply beautiful, I loved it, and especially the way you wove it into the poetry itself. It wasn't just random words to paint a picture, it was words with meaning. I'm not much of a poet, but I felt your flow was consistent and smooth, and it was nice to read it with no breaks or pauses to think about what you meant.

My two nitpicks
- why are the seasons capitalized? Just curious. Seems incorrect to me, so I suggest lowercasing Sring and Winter
- and I agree with Ariana: why are the last two lines quoted? I don't like it.

Besides that: again, excellent. A pleasure to read. :)

For Team YWS Default Background,
~Iggy

Karzkin says...

Just looking through my old reviews, noticed I forgot to reply. The font choice was unintentional, that's just what happens when I copy and paste from MS Word. The seasons are capitalised because it's technically the correct grammatical form (although uncapitalised is obviously generally accepted too). The last two lines are quoted because they are said by someone other than the narrator. In case you missed it, the "breath on a wire" is someone's voice on a telephone.

arianaSarroyo wrote a review...

Hi there. Ariana with your review. So to start off, I think you've done a pretty neat job here. I thought this was very eloquently written. You really have your figurative language down pat. The lines about the days were rusted shut and staring holes in the ceiling were my personal favorited. They just represented some really vivid imagery. Overall, I couldn't find anything to criticize you on. So well done, my friend. I only have one question though. Why is the last line in quotation marks?

Everything is a lot of things!
— Hank Green