Exhausted

by Cailey

Can't close my eyes.
Too tired to sleep.
Dreams mingle with reality-
mirage of black and white and grey:
lots of grey.

I am unfocused,
unaware.
I cannot bring my mind to settle,
a haze shrouds my vision,
lead filled veins drag down my limbs,
I do not want to move at all.

I am distracted,
and so sick of the world around.
Reality does not suit me.
Now or ever before.

I am my own invention,
not yet finished-
already broke.

Too much.

Too little.

Fatigue like chains clasping me,
cool metal against my throat,
my wrists, my feet.
Stuck in blackness-
quickly drowning.

Cannot run.
Cannot leave.
Cannot move.

Morticiansdaughter19 wrote a review...

"Too tired to sleep" that really caught my eye, I never knew someone could be too tired to sleep! ha. I actually really liked this poem it has great imagery. "now or ever before" doesn't make sense to me I feel should be "Not now, nor ever before." but that is just me I'm not sure that way sounds any better.

"I am unfocused, unaware. I cannot bring my mind to settle, a haze shrouds my vision, lead filled veins drag down my limbs, I do not want to move at all."

This is a very relatable line that I feel everyone has experienced in their life! very well done! I liked it :)

Cailey says...

Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it!

ChangeTheWorld wrote a review...

Boom! I'm here.
And I'm not going to write a review by babbling!
Probably.
Maybe...

I am unfocused,
unaware.

So this line doesn't really fit with the stanza it's in. I actually think you should start the stanza after it with these two lines. and then also ,the stanza above it describes the physical aspects of exhaustion, and I think you should go farther with that, add a few more. Are her eyelids heavy like bricks? Is her mouth thick like cotton? Just a little suggestion.

It might be weird to say, but I can really feel the exhaustion of this poem. heehee. You use the right type of heavy wording that sort of drags the whole piece down, like the way the narrator is being dragged down. I like the dramatics of it all. And I'm a huge fan of repetition in a poem for emphasis so you employ that really well with the last three lines. I also think it's important to have good endings because that's what you're leaving your reader with so well done. Good embodiment of the emotion, especially because it's something we all feel one way or another.

Okay I have no other suggestions. I'm an amazing reviewer, we were talking and I didn't even get distracted! BOSS! :)
Change out.
Team Rouge.

Cailey says...

Ouch. Not even distracted. You must be a superhero.
And yes. Physical exhaustion. I like it. I will hopefully remember to go and add more about the physical aspect of it, along with heavier diction.

Thank you for the non-distracted review.
(But YWS Default Background Color Blue Whatever Team is still the best.)
Now, on to number 22

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:20 am
DreamWork wrote a review...

Hi Cailey,have a good day!Here is Dark to give review on your poem.

Your poem explaining about 'feeling exhausted' that you are experiencing with a distinctive reasons. Diction used is simple and makes it easier to understand.

#Can't close my eyes.
Too tired to sleep.--->I see it is too simple here,very familiar.I hope it can be something more wonderful to read when you describe this situation in poetic way.
Dreams mingle with reality-
mirage of black and white and grey:
lots of grey. --->I like this part.'Dreams mingle with reality-'.

#I am distracted,
and so sick of the world around.
Reality does not suit me.
Now or ever before. -->You start creating conflict in this stanza. Life crisis seems to make you exhausted.

#I am my own invention,
not yet finished-
already broke. -->Well,it is a bit odd here.You can improve this part.

It seems you are using a free poetry writing style with a function that is not bound by the format. You have to be careful when using this kind of writing style.Anyway,I enjoyed reading your poem here :) Keep it up!
Kudos,cheers
~Dark

Cailey says...

Thank you for the review!! I will work on those things and make it fit together a little bit more.

Cailey says...

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:59 am
Blackwood wrote a review...

This captures the essence of tiredness and also creates a nice impression of dreaminess. This makes me think about when I'm too tried to get out of bed in the morning, of after an exhausting day get home. Or more impressionism when I just feel super lazy and I'm supposed to be studying and I'm not and instead yeah...
You evoked these situations and emotions in me, as the reader, which means you have done a good job in your writing.

I like you you have made the lines so divided and floating, it helps work the poem well.

Ok, you have a problem that is the opposite of many people. You are going over the top with punctuation. Using a variety of strange things that in effect don't really make sense or should be something more ordinary instead. Lets take a look at this.

Dreams mingle with reality;
mirage of black and white and grey.
Lots of grey.

You seems to be attempting to put in some fancy stuff but in effect it just makes the page look alien and confusing.
Another example.
I am my own invention,
not yet finished,
already broken.

I don't have too much to say about content as I think it is very well done. I hope to see more poetry from you soon.

Cailey says...

I always complain when people don't have enough punctuation. So I can definitely see myself putting too much. :|
Note to self: don't go punctuation happy!

Thank you tons for the review!!

Messenger wrote a review...

Knight Malachi here to review you. By the way, are you a Green Room Squire?
So this poem was really well done. I like all of the opposites you had. you did a good job of capturing the sense of being so tired that you can't sleep.

Fatigue like chains clasping me,
cool metal against my throat,
my wrists, my feet.
Stuck in blackness-
quickly drowning.

I have to say that those lines seems really dark. If I am missing an underlying message it might explain some of the confusion, but this seems a bit terror-striking. I will leave the technical errors to Knight Dragon who will very happily point them out.

Cailey says...

I am actually a Knight of the Green Room. *Bows in greeting to fellow Knight.*

I guess I was feeling a bit dark last night as I wrote this. I felt like I had an underlying theme- but I couldn't quite figure out what it was. I guess a part of it was not being so much physically tired and wanting to sleep that night, but just being tired of life, and how dangerous and entrapping that depression can be.

Eh. yeah. Don't know if that makes sense. :)

Thanks for the review!!!

I am and always will be optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.
— 11th Doctor