The Masked

by 221B

The man with the mask is coming to play
From over the hills and far away
He brings the fear and brings the screams
He brings with him the scary things

Over the bridge and through the woods
The man with the mask goes where no one should
Into the dark and into the night
The man with the mask is a frightening sight

With hands of bone and teeth that gleam
The man in the mask will make you scream
Turn around and don't look back
He can find you, no matter where you're at

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:23 am
KingofTheDamned wrote a review...

This is most interesting. The poem is fairly elementary style, yet makes a fair appeal. At first, it deems a warning and continues to lay list of the horror. As if this is a journey, you briefly walk us through his steps.

My interest lies mostly with the masked man and where "he goes where no one should."

LittleCaroleen wrote a review...

I love this, it's very catchy. It would be interesting to see you add more to it, but it doesn't need it. The rhyming seems a little forced, but not completely off. The flow and the rhythm of it is great. The idea of a masked man is a little horror cliche, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Cliches are cliches for a reason. :)

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:04 am
Morkish wrote a review...

After reading the reviews, and most importantly the poem itself, I couldn't agree more! You bring out the emotion needed for readers to keep reading. After all, it's the emotional response that you want, I feel. When I say emotional I mean the sense of being in the poem. It feels real, and that, in my opinion, is what matters most.

It flowed very well, too. I'm usually not big on poetry, being a big Science Fiction and Fantasy lover, but horror can fall under my "like" category too! I really look forward to more poetic additions by you. Thank you!

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:56 am
AsianQueen17 wrote a review...

I am a newbie, AsianQueen17, here to do you a review.

Wow, what a frightening poem. I am sorry you have had this kind of dream, I would be terrified even though it is just a dream. You did great use of imagery, I could just see that scary looking man chasing me wherever I run. I might just start having nightmares tonight because of this... ._. You did great with your style of structure and I don't see any grammar mistakes. I say keep up the great writing because you sure do have a way with imagery, well I really think it was because of the rhyme. I really love rhyming poems therefore making me see more clear as to what you are saying. Keep it up.

God Bless!

WindSailor wrote a review...

This poem has a very creepy and scary feel to it, one that makes feel like this is real. It was very well described and had great rhyming that worked great. The flow of the poem really made the suspense part so much better. I really didn't find anything the poem lacked, I thought it was extremely well done. Keep writing. - Hsarver :)

sphealwithit wrote a review...

Hello, Sphealwithit here, happy day filled with reviewing.

the poem is awesome, its based on a really good theme. The whole 'Goes where no one should' is a really good line. It makes the poem suspenseful. The creepy, eerie feeling when reading it is really difficult to get across but you do it really well. I don't like scary things that much but i love this poem.....

It really goes with the time of year. Your poem really flows well. Keep up the good work.

Vivian wrote a review...

Wow. Your poem blew my mind. :) I'm not really a fan of horror but I still good ideas for the stories. This sounds like something from R.L. Stine (did I spell his name right?) That's a compliment by the way. The Masked Man, sounds like a great idea for a book, that I'm hoping happens. Again love the poem keep writing. :D

Messenger wrote a review...

Knight Malachi here to review for the nights of the green room.
This poem was spooooooooooky! I love the main line, 'the man with the mask.' That was a a perfect line for the poem. Every time you had the word scream it made the poem seem even creepier.

Over the bridge and through the woods

That line is one of my favorites, and yet it seems to flow the worst of all your poem. The second line seems to drag to long. Perhaps it's just the way I read it. Now it isn'tmajorly bad, just threw me off for a second.
Keep it up!

Questio wrote a review...

Chilling. This is perfect for the October mood, with everyone getting ready for Hollows' Eve Night.
There was one line that kinda stood out, though. The last one. Firstly, the "your" should be "you're". That's a common mistake. Then there is the wording of it. The rest of the language is chilling and sinister, like a song, but the wording of the last line just seems... off.
I loved it though. A very chilling aesthetic that describes a dark, sinister being. If you could work it into a full length epic (which is just a story-length poem, if you don't know) that would be awesome.
Hope you keep writing these spooky poems!
~Questio~
P.S. Loved the rhyming scheme. Added to the folk-song feeling.

221B says...

I'm glad you liked it! I fixed that typo, I think it must have been auto corrected because I have it spelled correctly on my hand written version. I have a few more I'm planning on posting when I get the points for it, so be on the look out for those!

I'm glad you liked it!

"You may deem me romantic, my dear sister, but I bitterly feel the want of a friend."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein