z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

10 Extremely Helpful Tips to Surviving (Most of) High School

by MooCowPoop


I created this list last week, and I am using it right now. I thought it might be really helpful. Feel free to disagree with me! Thanks for reading!

1.) Prioritize

I'm not sure if you're an unorganized person or not, but this step really helps. What you need to do is find out which things are a priority and which things are not quite as important. What's due tomorrow? What's due the rest of the week? What's due in the upcoming weeks? You want to start with the thing that has the most immediacy, meaning the thing that's due tomorrow, and is worth a whole bunch of points. Start out with that, then work your way down to what's not as important. By doing this, you save yourself a whole lot of stress than by trying to start everything all at once.

2.) Set Yourself Up For Success.

Sitting around may feel great at the moment, but what about that awful feeling of embarrassment and shame you’re in school and realize that you've missed a whole bunch of assignments while everyone else is turning in their work? It does not feel good to be left out like that. Don't lie to yourself, you will NOT be able to finish it later because something really important might come up or something else easily interrupting-- either way, you really wouldn't be able to finish your work, if something happens because you let it go for so long. Don't let it get to that point; do the work the instant you get home, or even do it at lunch if you can (this is my new tactic and it's been working well so far). Do this so that you won't have to worry about it when you get home. It feels better when you know that you've completed your work than knowing that you've got tons of work left.

3.) Get a Good Work Space.

This is vital if you want to be successful. If you're in an environment where you know you can't work well, don't shrug it off and blame the environment for your problems-- MOVE! Go somewhere that you know you'll be able to work without any distractions, like the library. When my doctor-friend suggested that I go to the library to do my work, I cringed. Not because I don't like going to the library, but because I felt like it was just a terrible idea. I didn't even consider it until I actually tried it, and guess what? It worked. I was able to focus on my homework and not the internet or the television and I actually felt good about getting my homework done with no unnecessary breaks in between. Studying between commercial breaks is not an option, nor is it effective. I got into a place that would make it hard for me to procrastinate, and I suggest that you do the same.

4.) Don't freak out.

This was a big one for me. I always got anxious about not completing my work and worried about my future and how I wouldn't accomplish my goals, and yada yada. Realize that it's going to be okay, and it isn't the end of the world -- or rather your world-- if you don't complete one homework assignment. If you're worrying all the time, you won't have any time to get your homework done and if you're pushing it off to the side all the time (which can be another form of anxiety), you still won't have the time to do what you're supposed to be doing. Find the right level of motivation, and stick with that.

5.) Be realistic and/or strategic.

This step ties in with Step 2. You need to realize that not everyone is perfect; not everyone makes straight As or makes it to valedictorian of their class. This is perfectly fine. You, however, need to do what's best for you. If you know you aren't going to finish editing that entire essay by midnight, then don't push yourself and see if you can go beyond your limit. You have to set up a common goal, and not try to be perfect all the time.

6.) Don't Beat Yourself Up.

Again, nobody is perfect. If you didn't get the score you wanted to get or you worked really hard to get a perfect grade on the test but you missed a few questions, it's perfectly fine (in this case, you can be perfect). There's always going to be another day to work on a new assignment. My teacher says that he doesn't do "right now's" but he does "next times". This means that you're always going to have another chance. One measly essay or test does not determine your fate. Just learn from your mistakes and move on. Do not let the feeling of ----- upset you. But also remember that just because you get another chance, it does not mean that you should take advantage of it. Don't let your procrastination tie into what you're trying to accomplish, and don't turn it into an excuse. You've still got deadlines to follow.

7.) Reach Out.

You didn't think you could do all of this by yourself, did you? It's important to ask for help, no matter how much of the information you think is tedious and dull. If you're not understanding the content, why let yourself suffer? Use you worrying time to ask the teacher questions. Invest in a tutor, grab a study buddy-- do anything that will help you to not go through this stuff alone. Most importantly, get someone who can hold you accountable for your work. For instance, if you were to get a study buddy, that buddy could call you up and make sure that you're doing you're assignments because you will both be responsible for making sure that the other person is doing their work. By doing it this way, neither of you will be able to give up as easily or procrastinate as easily because you will have each other’s backs. If this is your year of high school, you will especially need to make sure that you're getting help from someone else, not just because of the work, but to make sure you are doing what you're supposed to be doing (parents are not very helpful with this step. It'll just feel like they're nagging you).

8.) KNOW AND HONOR YOUR LIMITS!

I love this one. This is my favorite step of them all because it relates so well to me and it ties in with step 4. Sometimes a person can get so caught up with trying to make something perfect that they forget they have an actual life besides school. If you cannot stay up any longer or if the clock's saying it's almost three am, you know there's a problem. Sometimes you just have to let things be. If they don't work out, of course you'll feel bad, but sometimes that's just the way things work. Sometimes you have to throw in the towel. This is cliche, but, life really isn't a race. If it was, who would you be racing against and what for? There's no point in trying to beat someone at your own game, is there? If you need to stop, then stop. Don't keep going if you know you'll collapse at the finish line. How can life be good for you if you're too tired or stressed out to enjoy it? Be happy with what you have, and recognize that you are trying your best, and that will always be enough.

9.) Always Try Your BEST. Period.

This one kind of explains itself, but I will elaborate on it. It's not the kid who gets straight As and answers all the questions correctly that gets noticed… Really, I’m serious. It’s actually the person who tries their hardest and keeps pushing but recognizes where they need to stop is the person who's more praised. When a person recognizes their own limits and shows immense dedication to something, that is so much more meaningful than being the one who's always right. It's the person who knows that they have faults and tries to fix them that's good. It makes that person so much more real than the guy who just gets everything right. And frick the people who think they're better than everyone else because they get the best grades. Newsflash: college is almost nothing like high school! In fact, it's ten times harder, so just because everything is working for them now doesn't mean it'll be like that after high school. You do a lot more learning and knowing yourself when you find a fault and you fix it, than staying the same all the time.. It makes you much more real of a person, and people will admire that.

10.) GET YOUR BUTT IN THE CHAIR!

This should have been listed as number one because it's really the most important one of them all. How are you going to follow any of these steps or get what you want in life if you don't put in the work for it? Get yourself in the CHAIR! Not the computer chair, the restaurant chair, the roller coaster chair--- THE STUDY CHAIR. Yeah, it sounds so dull and mundane, but if you're expecting the car to work, you need to put in the keys, you know? Sit down and don't wait until the last minute to get things done.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 am
View Likes
Hannah wrote a review...



So! For your third review from the Knights of the Green Room, I'd like to take a look at the organizational structure of this piece. I will say right away that it could benefit from having the text in the items reduced and also broken up into paragraphs, but I will now focus specifically on the organization, and hope this will be helpful to you when either revising or thinking about organization of future projects!

Here's what you have right now:

1.) Prioritize
2.) Set Yourself Up For Success.
3.) Get a Good Work Space.
4.) Don't freak out.
5.) Be realistic and/or strategic.
6.) Don't Beat Yourself Up.
7.) Reach Out.
8.) KNOW AND HONOR YOUR LIMITS!
9.) Always Try Your BEST. Period.
10.) GET YOUR BUTT IN THE CHAIR!


Can you see from this list any overlap that might have happened? I think that "Don't freak out", "Don't beat yourself up", and maybe "Always try your BEST" kind of overlap and may give the same kind of advice. Is there a way to combine them or to streamline your argument/point in those sections? "Prioritize" and "Be realistic and/or strategic" might work together to make a stronger point as well. So if I were to try to break this down to the most unique points of information, I'd say you'd be left with:

Prioritize, Set Yourself Up For Success, Get a Good Workspace, Don't Worry, Reach Out, Know Your Limits, Get Your Butt in the Chair. You're down to seven from ten.

Now you want to consider the order. Isn't the very first thing someone needs to do get their butt in the chair? I could understand putting it as the final point, to give the final push for them to get started on their homework after finishing the article. That's cool. But even then, why is "get a good workspace" so far down the list when that comes kind of first in the physical process and can be applied over every single moment of homework? Think a little more about how you want to present this sequence of advice.

Related to that, try to find transition points that can lead the reader from one point to the next instead of having them all stand-alone. It could make for a more pleasant reading experience.

In addition, I like the idea of "Know Your Limits", and I think it's valuable, but the text you've provided doesn't really fit that idea for me. It says "If the clock's three am, you better stop," but what if that person should have stopped at midnight? More concrete advice would make this article way more relevant to high school students, since if they're reading this it's because they have no idea what to do with themselves and need to read something concrete to start forming their thoughts? Maybe.

Haha, I hope this is helpful to you as you continue writing!
Let me know if you have any questions or comments. :)




MooCowPoop says...


Okay, thanks.



User avatar
394 Reviews


Points: 16710
Reviews: 394

Donate
Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:01 pm
View Likes
KnightTeen wrote a review...



This is one of the three reviews that you will receive from a Green Room Knight.


1.) Prioritize

I agree that this is one of the most important parts, but instead of saying, "The thing" or "What's," I think that you should give some examples of what could be due. What kind of homework. Make it a little more personal and don't just simply say "what is,".

2.) Set Yourself Up For Success.

No complaints/comments for this one, it is a very good point. Although you may want two switch the heading to Don't set yourself up to Fail since you spend more time talking about that then actually talking about success.

3.) Get a Good Work Space.

True.

But why don't you describe the average idea work place, and not just say that it has to be away from things that distract us.

4.) Don't freak out.

This is a problem for a lot of people. Why don't you give us some calming techniques to go along with this paragraph?

5.) Be realistic and/or strategic.

not everyone makes straight As or makes it to valedictorian of their class.


This statement should really be, "becomes" since not everyone can become their valedictorian.

6.) Don't Beat Yourself Up.

Do not let the feeling of ----- upset you.


To what feeling are you referring? You should be a little more specific.

7.) Reach Out.

Use your worrying time


If this is your year of high school,


What year? The majority of people are in highschool for four years.

8.) KNOW AND HONOR YOUR LIMITS!

Yeah, I have this problem.

9.) Always Try Your BEST. Period.

"Try" really should be "Do".

10.) GET YOUR BUTT IN THE CHAIR!

Or couch or bed or whatever else you study in.

I thought that this was a very good, well-written, and well-explained list. You didn't just give us a list, you explained why we should do these things and what can happen if we don't.

You might want to consider editing it a little, just to give it some polish, but you did very well.

KT




MooCowPoop says...


Thank you!



MooCowPoop says...


Oh btw, I think your review is the second review I've received from a Knight ( check below). I do not understand what that means though...



KnightTeen says...


This was submitted for the Library Challenge, according to our records.
We were informed that we had to review certain works, and your was on that list.

If you check out our forum in The Lounge, everything about us is explained in the first few pages.



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 593
Reviews: 34

Donate
Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:28 am
View Likes
ongoeslife says...



How do you survive high school in America? You become homeschooled. That is how I'm surviving... And I wasn't before. =) Great article, though!




KnightTeen says...


I'm totally with you there.



ajruby12 says...


I'm a year away from highschool but already doing 2 highschool classes.. (Yay for co-op!! And homeschooling!) :)



ongoeslife says...


Awesome! This is my first year as a homeschooler, and I'm technically a Junior. (I survived 11 years in public school?! How is that possible??) Anyway. I'm taking three co-op classes, which are great! I didn't know that it was possible to have a genuine smile for the entire school day...



User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 33
Reviews: 131

Donate
Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:25 pm
View Likes
Monsters wrote a review...



Wow so glad I am seeing articles! Although, I think the content could be improved by much unfortunately. For instance, joining a sport is major way to stay focused and bridging the gap between high high-school and college. Also, you could have talked about kids thinking long-term which means looking at colleges and seeing requirements as soon as before freshman year. (I wish someone would have told me this before high-school.)Things like that are the stuff that should be discussed but you gave us the facts that many people already know. It's not uninteresting but it could be so much better!

I think also you emphasized how hard high-school is. In actuality high-school students barely try and can get as high as 4.0 by just prioritizing their time. (Which is a great topic btw.) The thing is, you should have discussed study statics to get things done better and faster like the R. P. Feynman technique which would leave the prospering student with some very awesome thoughts about your article, but you didn't.

I think this could be way more interesting tbh. It could also be shorter and more to the point. I wouldn't worry about the nit-picks until you get the content right.

Hope this helps




User avatar
508 Reviews


Points: 11370
Reviews: 508

Donate
Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:36 am
View Likes
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...



Knight Dragon of the Knights of the Green Room, here to give one of the three reviews requested for the Library Challenge. (Yes, that was all you needed to do. Now the Knights that sit in a holding pattern like vultures shall descend greedily upon your work, itching to review).

I liked how you wrote this. You had good points, and you backed them up. And you didn't HIGHLIGHT EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT THIS STUFF WAS GOLDEN. I could actually read and understand what you were saying without fighting through font innuendos.

Just one overall comment: college is/was no different than high school, except for two things. 1) the amount (load) of schoolwork, and 2) the independence and responsibility level. [Of course, since I was doing college and high school simultaneously, I have a pretty unique perspective]. As a current college student, I can tell you that all of these principles are things you have to follow to be successful (and all their friendly first-year orientation programs delight in proclaiming these principles, with variations on the wording and examples, to the new students). So you could add "and college" to the end of your title. Just speaking from experience here. I've seen the results of both studying and not studying (properly or improperly), and studying with someone versus by myself. It's more fun to study with someone else, it gives you their perspective (and anything they caught that you didn't), and it motivates to do what you're supposed to because you don't want to look like an idiot in front of them.

Hope this helps!




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 411
Reviews: 15

Donate
Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:22 am
View Likes
wildwildcat wrote a review...



These are clear-cut ways to keep organized and focused! Good list! Many of these I knew, but it always pays to see them again!
I'm going through high school for the first time this year, so I think it's quite interesting that you've got this list out. It's neat, though I DO have one nitpick:

There was nothing in the social aspect. High school is also about social relationships and bonds that last a lifetime. Perhaps a tip or two about how one could make new friends would be helpful, but that's just my opinion. Feel free to do nothing.

I'm not actually an Honorable Knight, but I saw your post and thought, "Hey, why not?"

Have a spectacular Day!
Cheers,
~wildwildcat




User avatar
271 Reviews


Points: 414
Reviews: 271

Donate
Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:25 pm
View Likes
Gravity wrote a review...



I love this guide. I'm a freshman in high school; so this was extremely helpful. The only thing I want to say is your use of "I". In a piece of writing in which the author's purpose is to inform, "I" should be used sparingly. You are giving the audience advice. Sometimes you mention experiences or details about yourself, that jarr the reader from the piece of text. For example,

"When my doctor-friend suggested that I go to the library to do my work, I cringed. Not because I don't like going to the library, but because I felt like it was just a terrible idea."

Your "doctor-friend" just comes out of nowhere. I don't know who this friend is. So try to eliminate "I", and use "you", as this text is in second person. And also, eliminate the details of yourself, if you won't elaborate on them.

All in all, since I AM starting high school, it was extremely helpful. The only other criticism I have is that these tips are great for any kind of school. Not just high school.

I hope you don't take my critiques too personally, I really did like this. It was very informative.




MooCowPoop says...


Thank you very much for pointing that out! Yeah, I agree (lol) with the part about the use of "I"'s. I'll see what I can do about it.



User avatar
332 Reviews


Points: 10657
Reviews: 332

Donate
Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:45 am
View Likes
Blackwood wrote a review...



Good job! If only you posted this sooner. I have an exam tomorrow and I have been procrastination all week. Hell I even cleaned my room. MY ROOM; I couldn't even see the floor and I cleaned it.

This is a nice little guide you wrote here- I think the most effective thing is for yourself, to bold it up and stuck it at your own desk, since you wrote it, you might feel more inspired to follow it.

As a guide for everyone else in general, I do feel like its something we have seen before. Its quite serious, a little light hearten bits like the chair bit, but I feel that to connect to your audience you need to give it real personality, give it a voice, if you know what I mean, something that's familiar.
For example, in some humor writing I do I have my own voice where I say everything is 'sexy' I don't know if everyone else thinks its funny but if I impress myself then that's what matters.

I'm going to read this again, hopefully it will help me utilize the final hours I have remaining.




MooCowPoop says...


Thanks for the advice! :)




The mind of man is capable of anything - because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness