Violence

The book of Livia Chapter 1 I did it again

by ofmiceandshailla

I did it again

There I stood on cold,moist pavement.It was dark yet i could see everything as clearly as day.The wind blew through my hair and past my tear filled eyes. I couldn't believe what I had done (although I had done it so many times before). No matter how many times I did I just couldn't get it into my head that I was killing a helpless human being. My breathing grew heavy and my head was beginning to pound. I longed for one of the cars that I could hear from behind the pizzeria to stop and take me away. It was bloody and gruesome,what I had done could never be forgiven.I found it horrible that another life had to be taken for someone like me to live.

My fangs felt like ice within my blood stained mouth. As my fangs retracted I watched him,my powerless victim. He’d done nothing yet I’d done so much to him. I examined his body,every inch of it. His skin had gone pure white. His limp,lifeless body was covered in gashes and bruises(all which were inflicted with my bare hands and razor sharp fangs). I knew which of those horrific scars ended him. What had killed him was a deep gash in his neck that ran from ear to ear.This time was more bloody then the last.

My brown hair had gone black from the all the sweat coming from my overheated body. I stared down at my hands.They were covered in blood,his blood.This made me tremble.The bones in my legs began to lock and my heart began to accelerate even faster then before. In a panic without bothering to wipe my hands off I pulled out my cellphone and dialed the only person I could trust,Mr Thompson.He taught me everything I knew about being a vampire so maybe he could help this time.

It didn't take long for him to answer at all.”Hello?” He spoke in a deep hushed voice.In the background it was silent I couldn't quite understand why he whispered. But the silence was the least of my worries. I needed help.

For a while I didn't say a word.

“Hello?Arabella are you there answer me!”He was now in a panic from the sound of his sad deep voice.

I then spoke softly and almost in a panic myself I told him,”I did it again!”

In my eyes things began to blur and I was seeing things in two.

“What do you mean you did it again?” He Blared

“Mr Thompson listen to me please.” I said this as if I was still trying to rationalize things.

“What do you….”He paused and then sighed “Arabella honey I’m all ears now tell me what did you do?”

I swallowed and said,”I murdered someone else.Do you hear me I killed him and I don’t even know his name!” Suddenly I dropped the phone causing it to break and with it I fell alongside the dead man.

The last thing I could remember was me falling to the ground still clutching my cellphone in my claw like hands.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:25 am
Kevikur wrote a review...

Hey Shailla! Before I go on to review your first chapter I swung by to read the prologue first. I'm usually weary about vampire stories, but I think you're onto something if you stray from the cliché scenarios that usually pop up in vampire stories. With unique characters and plot, you will have a great story in the making!

That being said, careful with how you convey emotion through your story. Sometimes, less words are more. If you choose the right words to convey the terror and shame that Arabella feels, you can hit just the right notes to make a reader sympathize. The sentence "For a while I didn't say a word." speaks volumes all on its own. You didn't need to add why she couldn't speak. You didn't need to add what was racing through her head. We already knew, because in those few words, we could feel the hot lump in her throat and the impact of the situation hitting her.

The dialogue between Arabella and Mr. Thompson needs to be slightly revised. Grammatically, there are a few errors. I'll just point a couple out for future reference.

“What do you mean you did it again.” He Blared

You only want to capitalize proper nouns after dialogue, so words like he/she/it aren't capitalized. Also, you don't want a period there, but a question mark. Blared does not need to be capitalized.

Correct: "What do you mean you did it again?" he blared.

Usually, you only need three periods when there's a pause in dialogue, and when a character is talking to another character directly and says their name, you want a comma after the name.

Correct: "What do you..." He paused and then sighed. "Arabella, honey, I'm all ears. Now tell me, what did you do?"

If you have any questions or need help editing any other mistakes, let me know and I would be more than happy to help. I'm on my way to read chapter one now! (-:

Vivian wrote a review...

Wow, I was wondering what was going on when she said "so many times before". If she's done it so many times before, she should be able to control it by now. Who's Mr. Thompson?

It's a nice story, and I like the main character's name. It's pretty. Also I started following you, mostly because I liked your avatar. ^U^

lol thanks the thing is she's done it a lot before but she hates the feeling of killing people even though shes done it before.I'll be sure to try and make it clearer.Also thanks for following me c:

Vivian says...

She's a vampire right, she could just knock the guy out and bite. Or like some other stories, erase his memory. She doesn't have to kill em.

You're right she doesn't have to kill him.But theres something different about her she can't control herself when she's taking blood and shes also more powerful then regular vampires.

Vivian says...

Awesome. I'm looking forward to the rest.

dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Okay, minor things first. You need to check your spelling, punctuation, and spacing. There are times where the next sentence is jammed right up against the period of the preceding sentence, and that makes it hard to weed out each new line. Also, there were a few comma splices, and sometimes you had an exclamation point or period instead of a question mark (with a few omitted commas).
But that aside, it's time for the plot.
All right, I sorta like the idea of a morally conscious vampire. However, I feel like you're overplaying the emotions too much. Arabella falls on the ground so suddenly I'm feeling the jerk as well, but not because of the description. And she dropped the phone? Her one lifeline (to paraphrase how you put it), and she drops it [oh, and breaks it] because of overpowering emotions? I think if she were that desperate, she'd be clinging to that phone for all she's worth, even if she does fall to the ground. So perhaps you should reevaluate that section.
Hope this helps!

Thank you I'll be sure to fix it c:

ah yes my boiling cheetohs
— tatteredbones