z

Young Writers Society



My Body Has Failed Me

by InfiniteSnowfall


My Body Has Failed Me

My body has failed me.
I am no longer functional,
past any form of fixing.
This body of mine
must have a redo button.

My eyes cannot detect
the deception.
These pair of lips
quit far too early.
Why, oh why has this happened?

Once supple skin,
now dry and brittle.
The ears refuse to hear
any truths.
Please, anyone, free me.

My heart - keeper of emotions,
unleashed its wrath.
This brain of mine
gives me false hope.
What is left of me?

My body has failed me.
I am no longer functional.
You must hurry,

before this nightmare
morphs into reality.


Note: Sorry for the weird spacing between the third line and fourth line in the last stanza. I'm not sure why it's like that. Also, this is my first attempt to poetry. I know it needs a lot of work, but like I said, I'm a beginner. So, please help me improve! Thank you.



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
70 Reviews


Points: 4731
Reviews: 70

Donate
Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:26 pm
View Likes
AfterTheStorm wrote a review...



Hey, Snow! The name's Storm, and I'll be doing a quick review for ya this night! :D Before I begin, I just want to let you know that this is a great start to poetry. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's your first poem, so it's an beginning excellent attempt. *claps* Bravo.

Now onto the review. This work can be improved tremendously if you write the rhythms to flow more easily together. Some of the words feel pretty choppy, which throws off some stanzas. The emphasis on certain syllables and words just don't seem to fit. Try rereading "My Body Has Failed Me" and look specifically for ways to flow the words together. For example, you wrote:

"My body has failed me.
I am no longer functional,
past any form of fixing.
This body of mine
must have a redo button."


Right off the bat, the rhythm is off. Personally, I think that this first stanza can be improved by changing the phrase "must have a redo button" into a more descriptive, poetic wording. Does that make sense? I don't know, but it just seems like a very... elementary way of getting your point across; It's not poetic at all. I realize this is a nit pick. xD

Next, I like the image you're shaping with your word choices, but I want more! Incorporate more description, please, and that'll definitely add a lot to "My Body Has Failed Me".

Hope this helps, and as always: Write on!

---Stormsie






Thanks for the review! Blackwood also mentioned the flow of the words. I do know that it needs fixing. The thing is, I don't really know how to fix it. Your review was helpful though, thanks again!



User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 1064
Reviews: 56

Donate
Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:15 pm
View Likes
AmethystNight wrote a review...



This is a very good poem. I like the metaphore with the 'redo button'. I know people say, if only life had a redo button, a lot, so it felt quite relatable to me. You can feel the emotion in the piece, which is what you want from an emotional poem. It's a good length, with plenty of detail without rambling, and I like how you start the first and last stanza with the same line - it gives it a completed feeling.

These pair of lips

Should be 'This pair of lips'.
My heart - keeper of emotions,
unleashed its wrath.

This hyphen is a little confusing. I think you'd better saying, 'My heart, keeper of emotions,/ unleashed its wrath.'
Those were the few little grammar points that I picked up on. I really liked this poem. Keep writing - it's great work.






Thanks for the review, Amethyst! I'll be sure to go in and edit those two mistakes later.



User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 7415
Reviews: 117

Donate
Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:12 pm
View Likes
Sapi wrote a review...



Hi InfiniteSnowfall!

This is a very good start! I was very intrigued by the title, I haven't read a poem with quite the same message before. Creativity is the greatest strength you can have as a writer.

So, first of all, I have to say I didn't understand the reason for the poem, or why the things that were described were happening. I liked your descriptions, but they didn't have a real purpose for me, since I couldn't figure out what was going on. So, I think you could add in a few lines throughout that help the reader to understand what has happened in the past or recently that made the narrator say that their body is failing them.

Along with that, the last couple lines confuse me.

before this nightmare
morphs into reality.


From the rest of the poem, it seems real, not just a dream, or a nightmare. But these lines give me impression that it's all just a bad dream, maybe a recurring one or something. And in that case, it would be very unusual for it to become reality, unless that is simply the unrealistic but all too real fear of the narrator. Either way, it needs for explanation for me to understand what's going on. Don't get me wrong, keep some ambiguity in there, but not too much. Leave some room for imagination but not a big empty void.

As far as the specific lines, I have to say the lines with physical descriptions were far more powerful to me than the possibly metaphorical, trying-to-be-profound-but-not-quite-getting-there lines. Let me show you what I mean:

Once supple skin,
now dry and brittle.


This is a good piece. A physical description that gives a clear image supporting your theme.

[/quote]This body of mine
must have a redo button.[/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean by this in e context of the poem. Is it a hopeful, or pleading "must", or is it a physical must, like the redo button is already there and you don't know where to find it? Moreover, a redo button to redo what exactly? The falling apart? Something else?

So mostly, I would say, great first poem! It rings very emotionally and you have powerful and creative writing skills. Just check it all for confusion and ambiguity that takes away from the true meaning of the poem.

Hope that helped! :)

~Sapi






Note: I wrote this a few weeks ago.

So, as I wrote this, I was going for the whole 'broken inside' kind of feeling.

I imagined her body as if it was a... Clock you could say. Her gears were breaking and she was slowly falling apart inside. Yet, on the outside, she looked perfectly fine and capable. She needs a repairman to come and help her before she stops 'ticking'.

And as for the redo button... It's like someone saying, "Oh, you must try Jane's spaghetti!"

I hope that cleared up some of the confusion. I wasn't sure how to explain it. This was the product of a random burst of inspiration. Thanks for the review, though!



Sapi says...


Awesome. Yup, that explains it very nicely. And that's what I mean, just put this into your poem somehow. Like the clock description, that's perfect! :)



User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 3690
Reviews: 122

Donate
Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:11 pm
View Likes
umaima wrote a review...



Hey newbie :D,

Umaima ere to make a quick review for ya!

I will give five points in this review to show you how I felt about your poem!

First, Let's start with the title! I literally loved the title and felt that there couldn't possibly be any better title for this particular poem! How did you get it? I mean it's just so perfecto!

Second, the idea and plot! I liked it.They were strong and I could tell how much it meant to ya! Really sometimes I have the same feelings :( and it's kind of alright! This is rather different than the poems I have read before so Good Job!

Third, Your grammar and punctuation were quite good. Now you see it's very irritating when the grammars bad so I really enjoyed your poem because there weren't those errors!

Fourth, I could totally understand what you tried to convey in your poem and I thought that the message was very clear so job welll done!

Fifth, the formatting. Now I wouldn't really appreciate that because there were different no of lines ins ome stanzas which isn't the best thing to do but anyways because the poem was overall very good that can be neglected :D

Have a happy and good day!

Umaima






I'm glad you enjoyed it! Would you mind explaining what you mean about the formatting? I don't really understand what you're trying to say. As I said, I am pretty new to poetry haha. Thanks for the review!



umaima says...


Okay, hmm formatting is actually how your poem should be divided... poems should be in stanzas and not written together, your poem is one which is to be in 4 line stanzas! There are 3, 4 and 5 lines stanzas and sometimes even 2...



User avatar
332 Reviews


Points: 10657
Reviews: 332

Donate
Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:04 pm
View Likes
Blackwood wrote a review...



If this is your first attempt at poetry then job well done! This is an excellent try.
I like the idea and message that you try to convey and what this poem is about, I think you have that down, but what I feel you need to try to improve on an capture is the essence of poetry and the placement of words.

This poem feels sort of like a series of statements in some places rather than poetic phrases. I think you need to work on your words, thinking them, reading them, saying them out-loud, and laying them down carefully to make them sound beautiful. The way you end your lines, with the words and with the full-stops, is kind of abruptive and breaks the flow, just the way that you have written it.

I have an example here to rhythm and balance and how you may improve. Take for example this first stanza.

My body has failed me.
I am no longer functional,
past any form of fixing.
This body of mine
must have a redo button.

It feels very abrupt. Firstly you have a three line phrase then a two line one. The second line ends on functional, which is a very abrupt word just because it is. I feel like some words such as "I am" are unnecessary, I could try rephrase this for you in a more flowing way:
My body has failed me;
no longer functional,
past any form
of fixing. By putting a linebreak here it emphasis fixing
This body of mine
must have a redo button.
[b] I just don't really like those last two lines in general, with the redo button. So I can't rephrase it.[b]

Overall I just think you need to focus on the words more and how you are placing them. If you lay them out nicely it will make the poem flow and they can come more beautiful.






Thanks for the review, Blackwood! I do have trouble makeing the words flow together nicely. Your review helped me a lot, thanks again. :)




A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.
— W.H. Auden