18+ Language Mature Content

Dragged Down by the Stone - Part One: You've Got to Be Crazy

by Spotswood

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

Dragged Down by the Stone

A Novel

By J.R. Spotswood

You’ve got to be Crazy (Part One of Thirty)

___________________________________________________________________________

Please don’t give me that putrid bullcrap. You already know why the hell I’m here. You can cut the formalities, since this is supposed to be a casual environment and, like I said, you already know why I’m here. You have my parents to thank for that. They’re…great. They really are. They’re hilarious, open-minded, and, well, loving, I guess. I didn’t fight back when they told me they were sending me here, especially given the crap that’s happened in my life lately. But, yeah, I saw no reason to fight back. I may be a “compulsive liar” who tries to manipulate his family to get what he wants, as they put it, but I still love them nonetheless. Apparently I’m the type of sociopathic bastard who wants what he wants when he wants it.

You’re supposed to be here to help me, right? Well, you can’t help me until you get the whole truth from the man himself. So, I suggest that you just shut up and let me talk, okay? I’m sure it’s in both our interests seeing as I just want to talk and you get paid by the hour.

I’ll start with a list of my likes and dislikes, in no particular order…

Likes:

1. Writing

2. Acting

3. Talking

4. Girls

5. Classic rock music

6. My family

7. Books on tape

8. My manhood

9. Thunderstorms

10. Video games

11. England

12. Films

Dislikes:

1. People bigger than me

2. Jesus freaks

3. Insincere people

4. Girls

5. Assholes

6. Modern music

7. Going to boarding school

8. Science class

9. Math class

10. Conservatives

11. Liberals

12. People who chew gum in public

13. Gum under the tables at restaurants

14. Lacrosse players

15. Fights

16. Waterparks

17. Prejudiced people

18. Hashtag Yolo Swag”

19. Television

20. Telemarketers

21. Televangelists

22. Evangelicals

23. The internet

24. The ignorant

25. The Man

26. Me at fourteen

27. Kids my own age

28. Smart cars

29. Belittling adults

30. Being alone

31. Being left out

32. Compulsive liars

33. Men in uniform

34. Entitled people

35. My birthday

36. Being told “No”

I don’t know why, but my list of dislikes heavily outweighs my list of likes. It’s quite ironic, actually, but you’ll find that my school is just one large stewpot of my dislikes. Midwood Prep pisses me off. Although I only spend three nights out of the week there, I still hate it. My teachers are, for the most part, great, but I hate all but maybe ten of the students. Actually, I’ll take that back. A lot of the teachers suck too.

Midwood is a small college preparatory school in Middle Falls, a small town in Northern Virginia. It’s basically a town full of a bunch of rich, old people who like doing nothing but riding horses. I like horses, personally. I once went on this pack trip in Colorado, but everything went wrong. I’ll tell you about that some other time.

Anyway, Middle Falls is pretty rural. There are a lot of horses. Yet, the town is close enough to D.C. to be able to head in on the weekends. Midwood Prep has a student body of about five hundred, most of which is comprised of a bunch of asinine bastards. Luckily, I don’t have to put up with them all the time, since my school is thirty minutes away from Huntsville, where my family lives. I visit as often as I can.

Nuns founded the school in the days following the Civil War and it remained catholic all the way until the 1980’s. Part of me is sort of sad that the school isn’t catholic anymore. Some of the degenerates who go there are in need of some old-fashioned monastic discipline. But, as I said earlier, I’m getting too far ahead of myself, seeing as I’m going to be telling you my whole damn life story, after all.

Seventeen glorious years ago, I came into this crappy world. I was a happy kid, wise beyond my ears. My parents tell me I was an old soul. I was such a cute bastard. Asian tourists visiting Hawaii, that island paradise I called home for the first four years of my life, actually used to pull over to take pictures of me. It’s hilarious! I swear. I’ve always had this fantasy where I go to Japan and see my ugly baby mug all over billboards, advertising diapers and such. But, yeah, those tourists got a kick out of me. You’d think they’d never seen a fair-haired baby before! The funny thing is that my hair has since turned the darkest shade of black you can imagine. I’m telling you, those Asian tourists loved me. They really did.

Anyway, I was born on a midsummer’s day. That’s all you need to know about my lousy birth. As for my earliest memories, well, let’s see…

I remember swimming in a pool as an infant. I remember playing with my cousins Esther and Allen as a baby. I remember watching Godzilla at a drive-in movie. I remember wanting to have dinner for breakfast. I remember the owner of Chompa Thai wanting to take me home with him. I remember visiting my Aunt Joan. I remember catapulting myself out of my crib and climbing in bed with my parents. Finally, I remember going to see my first movie. It was Star Wars.

I had a pretty decent childhood. In fact, I was pretty privileged. I guess I sort of take for granted the things which I am given. In my younger and more vulnerable years, my father gave me a valuable piece of advise. “Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone,” he would say, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.” I took it to heart at the time. Now I realize that my dad was just ripping off Gatsby. A fine book, to be sure.

I often caused a raucous when I was younger. One time, at some church function, I knocked some poor little kid over by accident when I was trying to push my way through a crowd. I must’ve been five or so. It was an accident, but my mom made me apologize. I felt pretty damn embarrassed. Probably the most I’ve ever felt in my life, to be honest.

I’ve always had this vivid imagination. One minute, I’m captain at the helm of a pirate sloop, shelling an English frigate with broadsides. Next, I’m the sheriff of some nameless, nineteenth century frontier town in Texas, chasing down the evil bank robber Bandit Bob. Next, I was Bandit Effing Bob himself!

My imagination was always encouraged. I’ve also always challenged authority. It’s always pissed people off. I like that about me though, my ability to question. I think it is a trait that only intellectuals possess. I questioned religion a lot when I was a kid. My church preschool gave me the “littlest theologian” award. My imagination was always encouraged, though, like I said.

My imagination was first judged when I had just turned six. My parents had just enrolled me in this bullshit Christian school, and I had to go meet my teacher for the first time. I showed up in my cowboy hat and said to her, “Howdy, ma’am. I’m Sheriff Sassafras!”

Her reply was, “Parker, I need you to be Parker right now, not same make-believe character!” Although I was probably offended, I didn’t think much about what she said at the time. Only now do I realize the bullshit factor of her response. I was being Parker for crying out loud! That was who I was! My imagination was who I was. Hell, it’s who I am today! My imagination defines me.

She turned out to be a pretty god-awful teacher too. Now, I’ll call that a bargain. She was the worst I ever had. Mrs. Fullgraham was her name. More like Mrs. Fullofshit.

She was a prude who hated boys and loved Christ. Hell, I think it’s safe to say she’s the reason I hate Jesus Freaks today! One time, she shook my friend Matt for saying “What the heck.” I mean, what the hell? Seriously? She also sent me to the office when I told someone that he looked like vomit, even after he said the same thing to me. That aside, she also hated this stupid little rhyme we used to say. “Ink pink, you stink,” is what it was. Apparently it was mean to tell people that they stunk. Talk about not understanding the context! But, anyway, that’s Mrs. Fullgraham for ya!

I won’t go into any more details about her. I will say, however, that she hated me, Harry Potter, Matt, that “bullshit evolution nonsense,” and “bad kids.” Let’s just say I was a “bad kid.” Her husband was nice though. He had the coolest name: Fry. I’d kill to have a name like that. We all used to call him Mr. French Fry. While he thought it was funny, my teacher did not. She always made us apologize to him because it made her feel uncomfortable for some reason. I later learned she divorced Mr. French Fry. She’s probably remarried to some poor sob named Grill or something.

I got through elementary school just fine. In the third grade, there was some incident at a school my parents sent me to up in New Jersey. They brought me home on account that I wasn’t getting the education that I deserved. So, they hired tutors. Although I didn’t mature socially whilst I was tutored, I did mature cognitively and intellectually. I don’t regret being tutored, but my friends occasionally tease me because I was, quote on quote, “homeschooled.” They probably don’t know it, but us “homeschoolers” tend to be intellectually superior. But, what do they know? Most of my friends are just morons.

The years when I was tutored were great, well, with an exception of being called out by some Persian lady at a grocery store. I asked if she was an immigrant. She got offended. I was just a nine year old with a big vocabulary. I must’ve been learning about immigration.

While I always pissed people off by questioning authority as to better understand the context of certain things, that’s not the root of my problems. That’s not why I am here. The real trouble began just shortly after I turned fourteen. I had just started the eighth grade and my fifth year of being tutored. This time, I was being tutored along with my buddy Clark. He was cool, Clark. I kind of miss the old boy. I still see him occasionally. My trouble was neither with him nor the tutors, however. It was the new neighbors.

Oh, God. How they pissed me off. They were judgmental, ignorant, arrogant and, well, crazy about Jesus! I don’t mind religious folks. It’s just the ones who try to shove religion down my throat that I don’t like. The neighbors definitely tried to force their religion on others. I swear. They really did.

So, why don’t you just get comfortable, as it is I who will be doing the talking from now on? You just pull out your pen and write down what it is you have to. Evaluate me. Call me insane. I’m a little insane. I’ve come to terms with my insanity. So, like I said, just listen to me and my tales. Then you can judge if I am crazy or not. After I tell you these stories of mine, my life experiences, you’ll know why I’m crazy. If you don’t think I’m crazy, well, you’ve got to be crazy, my friend!

megsug wrote a review...

Hey Spots~
Megs here as request

First, you've got a great character here. I'm really impressed with him. He's fun to listen to, kind of deep, a little sly, you know, generally awesome.
Now I'm going to go into a few nitpicks I found.

You already know why the hell I’m here. You can cut the formalities, since this is supposed to be a casual environment and, like I said, you already know why I’m here.

The places where you repeat yourself so close together sounds awkward. It breaks up the cadence of Parker's rant and doesn't add anything to the atmosphere, tone, or character. In fact, it makes Parker sound a little ditzy, like he can't think of what else to say, so he's just going to repeat the first thing he said.

You have my parents to thank for that. They’re…great. They really are. They’re hilarious, open-minded, and, well, loving, I guess. I didn’t fight back when they told me they were sending me here, especially given the crap that’s happened in my life lately. But, yeah, I saw no reason to fight back. I may be a “compulsive liar” who tries to manipulate his family to get what he wants, as they put it, but I still love them nonetheless. Apparently I’m the type of sociopathic bastard who wants what he wants when he wants it.

I don't understand what this last sentence has to do with the rest of the paragraph. Parker want what he wants when he wants it... and he loves his family?

Likes:

Writing

...

Films

A little long and not enough funny bits to really make me think it's worth it. Are all of these items going to affect the story?

Dislikes:

People bigger than me
...

Being told “No”

Very long. I forget some of the ones at the front of the list by the time I finish. Funnier than the list before though. I think you should really consider which items on the list are necessary, for humor, for the story, for flow, and which are just extra.

But, as I said earlier, I’m getting too far ahead of myself, seeing as I’m going to be telling you my whole damn life story, after all.

The first bit before this is so hard to follow, and then we find out that it really didn't have any meaning?

I was a happy kid, wise beyond my years.

That’s all you need to know about my lousy birth.

Statements like this always make me roll my eyes in fiction. I mean, there's no reason his birth was lousy that you've given us yet. He was born in midsummer, in Hawaii, and Asian tourist loved him. You even say he was a happy kid.

I often caused a raucous when I was younger.

So, raucous is an adjective. I looked it up. There's no definition that is a noun. I think you mean ruckus?

At first I was a bit put off by this paragraph, but I think it's rather funny after some reflection. His imagination was encouraged, but people were angry when he questioned authority which is really a characteristic of large imaginations.

She turned out to be a pretty god-awful teacher too. Now, I’ll call that a bargain.

I've been puzzling over your last sentence here. I can't make it make sense in a literal or sarcastic way...

quote on quote, “homeschooled.”

I'm fairly sure it's "quote, unquote"

So, I'm fairly sure that you meant to have this kind of scatterfire voicing where you change subject a lot, and while I do like that, I do feel like I need to warn you. Sometimes I found it very challenging to follow exactly where you were going. I'm a little concerned with how much this actually has to do with the storyline. It's always kind of a downer when the first chapter is unrelated with everything else.

I do want to bring up that, if this had been in a bookstore and I had picked it up, I probably would have put it back down. It's too hard to follow. I'm already a little baffled, and it's just the first chapter. I have a feeling that something bad happened, but I'm not sure. My interest isn't piqued because the hint kind of got lost in the rambling.

That being said, I do love, love, love your tone. I even love the random tangents. If you could refine and rein in your madness, it would be very, very effective. Make sure each story does flow into the next even if they're mostly unrelated. If he's just telling stories off the top of his head, he must be following some thought process.

Moving on to the next one~
Megs

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:56 am
Paige says...

Get out of here.
Why are you so talented.
Go away and publish this and earn billions of dollars.
Okay.
And you better not share any of it with me.
Because this is too good.
Save your money.
And spend it on nothing.
Or maybe a television show.
Because you've got an awesome sense of humor hidden within you, ole buddy, ole pal.

With Love,
Paige

Spotswood says...

Haha! Thanks!

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:59 pm
Empress wrote a review...

Hey Spotswood!

I was looking forward to reading this after our wee chats :)
So firstly, I love the opening paragraph, it immediately hooks me into the character's turbulent mind, and cements the 'skaz' style of the piece. Very effective.

I actually quite like the length of the lists, they're quite amusing, and, as you pointed out, the dislikes list is supposed to outweigh the likes. (I also liked how you had girls in both lists!)

The comment about your dad ripping off Gatsby was effective. You've misspelled 'possess' by the way. Although I agree whole heartedly! The ability to question is only a trait that intellectuals possess! ;)

I think maybe you should replace 'imagination' in one of the two paragraphs starting 'My imagination', purely because it seems like unnecessary repetition. The vomit comment is funny :)

A small niggly point is that I think "Connecticut, my parents...", should be "Connecticut. My parents..." The immigration anecdote is really funny too :)

I agree with the others that the ending is a bit abrupt. It feels like your about to go on to talk about the neighbours? If so, perhaps another sentence briefly making another comment on them would act as a more effective lead on to the next chapter.

Overall, I really love this piece, especially your tone. You've really taken the skaz style into your stride, and I truly enjoyed this more than I seem to remember enjoying Salinger's 'The Catcher In the Rye'!

Great job, looking forward to reading more,

Bethan x

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:16 pm
KnightTeen wrote a review...

I agree with haven235, in the sense that A) the ending is to abrupt and B) there's not enough profanity/mature content in here to warrant an eighteen plus rating. Probably a sixteen, but not an eighteen.

While I liked the likes/dislikes list, it did seem a little long. The content in it is good, but I think that it could be a little shorter.

too.Midwood is a small college preparatory school

You missed the spacing here. That in fact is the only grammar error that I have seen, and it's really a typo, so let me commend you for your excellent grammar skills.

I loved your writing style/language/whatever the heck you call it. This story drew me in and caught me, and I'm interested in reading more about Parker. I hate the teacher, and I like her husband's name, I thought Mr. French Fry was very funny. The teacher was clearly an uptight bitch who needed.......something.

Out of curitosity, where did the idea for this story come from, and is the main character based on yourself? I'm only asking since some sections I read match you with what you have told me about yourself.

Peace,
HT

Spotswood says...

Thanks for the review. And, yeah, Parker is based on myself. This novel is essentially going to be a collection of short stories based on my own life experiences, all fictionalized of course.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:27 pm
haven235 wrote a review...

Hey Spotswood, I'm Haven and I hope my opinion helps.

Quite a huge chunk of characterization here, but your writing style helped me to get it all in. However, either you or your character is inconsistent, because as I read along, how Parker expresses his feelings through profanity went from mild to moderate. I don't know if this was intended, but you should take a look at that.

Another thing I don't know is how intense you will be with the mature content, because so far I found nothing offensive enough for this to be rated 18+.

Your ending of this part felt like it was cut too short. It won't flow smoothly as a transition to another chapter. Maybe give some background about these new neighbors, and set up the scenario of how Parker will interact with them? It's up to you.

Other than that you've established a pretty believable character and I'm looking forward to what's going to happen next.

Spotswood says...

I was debating what I should rate it as well. The only thing is that there are eventually going to be several uses of the word "fuck", so I don't want to offend anyone who comes here thinking this story is something else.

“I don't talk things, sir. I talk the meaning of things.”
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451