z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence

Head Case

by EnigmaticSpirit


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and violence.

Crack.

My breath is stolen from me as a fist lands onto my stomach, the almighty force sending waves of agony through my body. I almost stumble from the force of the impact, but somehow I manage to stand against the pain. My heart thuds painfully against my ribcage and adrenaline pulses through my veins.

Crack.

The same fist smashes against the side of my jaw. For a split second, fireworks explode in front of me, their colours dazzling and bright then they disappear. The tears that I fought to hold back now roll down my cheeks and a sob bursts through my lips, sounding strangely alien and unfamiliar.

I need to see a fucking psychiatrist.

I let my fist drop to my side and relax as I weep, the sobs racking through my body. I feel so worthless, as if I mean nothing to the world. I’m just another depressed and enigmatic teenager: friendless and lonely. People will never come to understand me, no matter how hard they try to solve me.

I suddenly yank up my hoodie sleeve on my left arm, sobbing uncontrollably. I curl my fingers and dig my bitten and ragged nails into my soft skin on the back of my hand. Then I slowly rake my hand up my arm, stopping at my elbow and leaving a trail of horrific scratches. I gasp at the pain as it courses through my arm and close my eyes, my way of punishment, my way of venting my guilt…

I’m fucking worthless, I’m fucking worthless…

Blood slowly wells and beads in the scratches that I have inflicted upon myself. The scratches are raising against my skin, swelling and becoming pinker by the second.

“You’re a head case, Aria!”

My dad’s words echo through my mind and I freeze on the spot, my sobs halting. My eyes snap open and widen with fear. I look up at the bathroom door. I have bolted it shut specifically for this purpose so that my parents don’t walk in to me doing this to myself.

“This is not what normal people do!”

I sob and let my hands fall to my sides, letting the blood bead and well. I can’t bear to look at myself in the mirror but I force myself to look into the portal of grim reality. I slowly lift my head and gaze at myself.

With my eyes, I trace my short, uncontrollable, dark brown hair which sticks up in all places no matter how much I wet it. Then I lift my stare to my slightly almond shaped eyes which are of a dark brown colour, shimmering and brimming over with tears. My cheeks shine with tears as they continue to fall, silent and quick. A small bruise has already begun to form on the jawbone where I have punched myself.

“I’m a monster,”

The words brush past my lips, as soft as butterflies’ wings as they flutter into the open, strangely unfamiliar and loud in the silence. I lift my eyes once more to stare at my reflection. I look into my own eyes, two stormy seas of never ending blackness, gaping holes filled with guilt, sorrow and sadness.

“I’m a monster,” I whisper again, “I keep destroying my family. I hit out at those closest to me. I’m hurting them one by one.”

I am the one destroying my family.

I raise my first and I smash it against the bruise on my jawbone. My vision explodes in front of me and I collapse to the floor sobbing, feeling the soft carpet of the bathroom with my fingers.

I need to see a fucking psychiatrist.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:54 am
View Likes
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hey, Ari! Here to review this as promised :)

Now, this is obviously a really tough subject to talk about, let alone write about and you've done it so well here. Well done for being so brave! I'm so sorry you've had to go through this, and self-harm is absolutely horrible. I sincerely hope that you feel better now and not a need to do this to yourself again. More on the writing, it's written superbly. It was a very emotional piece and after reading the last word leaves me with a funny feeling. I agree in that you've really managed to make a connection with the readers which is good technique to use. Technical-wise, as in grammar and stuff I don't think I saw any errors, so well done! It was a haunting but good read.

Okay, so I'm not sure what to say in terms of suggestions, because obviously this is a personal story that you've had the courage to share so I don't wanna bash that. However I did also think that there was more descriptions on the physical harm, and the physical effects of this, but nothing really on the emotional. Maybe you could talk more about the psychological causes of this, because I'm sure that there is a reason for this. So maybe next time you write something like this, or even if you want to improve on this one then talk about more aspects.

Secondly, I think that you've started using some really beautiful poetic techniques like metaphors, such as the one about the butterflies. A suggestion here could be to make the whole piece more metaphorical and poetic, not exactly to turn it into a poem (although I think it would make a great poem) but to use those sorts of techniques. Judging from your work I've reviewed in the past, I haven't actually seen you write any poetry. But I think you'd actually be really good at it so something to think about.

Overall, this was a haunting but beautiful piece. You've been extremely brave for writing about such a sensitive subject so I commend you for that. Your writing is really great, and I hope to read more of your work, so please let me know when you post anymore up! My suggestions are above so I won't try and repeat myself there, but generally this was an amazing piece. I hope this review helped, feel free to PM me with any questions or anything, or if you'd like another review of something.

Keep writing!
~Arc x




User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 39
Reviews: 55

Donate
Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:33 am
View Likes
mb1221 wrote a review...



Woww, this essay is perfect. You do a great job making connections with the reader; it's not easy to make the reader "find a part of themselves" in a written piece, but you are very successful in doing so. I found no spelling, grammar or punctuation mistakes. I also loved two things so much: first, I liked the way you used anaphora "I need to see a fucking psychiatrist." It is so catchy and the way you have written it in italics makes it more effective by making it clear that they are your thoughts. I also liked the imagery you used for your eyes: "two stormy seas of never ending blackness, gaping holes filled with guilt, sorrow and sadness." It reveals the way you think about yourself.

Overall, this piece is so good. Keep writing, you will even get better. And I hope you overcome your problems...




User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 1356
Reviews: 29

Donate
Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:17 pm
View Likes
Spotswood wrote a review...



Dear God, this is great. Hauntingly spectacular in my opinion. It really gives some insight into your alleged past, and it makes me feel rather disturbed (yet I feel that is probably what you were going for). The fact that you never even gave any insight on why you behaved like this just makes it more ambiguous, and scary. It was really disturbing, but your writing style is just the opposite. It was well-written and made it somewhat suspenseful. Well done! Your flow was great and your transitions from paragraph to paragraph were very well-timed. I urge you to continue writing more pieces like this, even if they have other concepts or backgrounds. Again, I shall tell you, Good work!

Deepest and fondest of emphatic regards,

J.R. Spotwsood




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 817
Reviews: 16

Donate
Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:24 am
View Likes
Idrinkink wrote a review...



I just hope you get over it, How could you hate yourself when you don't watch your self? When you talk, when you sleep, when you laugh.. You don't watch yourself and that's why you have doubts that you are not pretty but- trust me..
You are beautiful.
You are like a flower, delicate and sophisticated. You mind is made of beautiful things, magnificent. You writings make me feel that you really have a future, You are amazing.
These times I have talked to you, I have come to know you and loved you because of your inner beauty because of your words and your actions.
And, I wont stop believing in you until one day, You believe in yourself.




User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 571
Reviews: 29

Donate
Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:25 am
View Likes
Benrobertringrose wrote a review...



Hello there,

Evidently you are a writer with the unique capability to make the reader feel something genuine, whilst reading this I was able to relate to the character with ease, and this was partly due to your descriptions of the anguish that the main character felt; something that I’m sure, to some extent, we have all experienced.

I was impressed how at the beginning you slyly misled the reader, prompting us to believe that the main character is being assaulted, when in fact, it is self-inflicted harm brought on by the characters own self-conflict; interesting, surprising and powerful stuff.

At times, I would argue, that you delve a little too far into the physical pain the character is feeling. Although you do eventually touch upon the characters inner psychological state, I believe that the initial emphasis on the physical last slightly longer than perhaps necessary. However, this doesn’t’ disrupt the story, and that last point is merely a personal preference of mine, as I like an insight into the characters mind. The reasons why the character is acting in this way? These are the questions that I want deeper and more thorough answers too.

And for this reason, I believe you should carry this piece on, if you do please let me know, because I am interested to learn why the character is in such a dark place.

“I look into my own eyes, two stormy seas of never ending blackness, gaping holes filled with guilt, sorrow and sadness.”

Really love this bit, I really do.

Also,

“I’m a monster,”

Simple and straightforward yet so very effective.

In summary I really enjoyed this piece. A well-written and engaging story with some inspiring descriptions.

Well done on a great piece.




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 342
Reviews: 14

Donate
Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:01 pm
View Likes
AmeliaDay says...



Wow. This is intense. I have no words, or corrections to it. Grammer/ spelling is perfect. Your writing is simply incredible. I especially like the part about the eyes; that's beautiful.
<3Amelia





My existence is political. And love is my statement.
— Kevin Abstract