A Suicidal Girl

by Valkyrie17

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Blood pours from my vein.

It oozes out like starburst, but is a deep red colour of cells.

Life has no meaning.

I have no meaning.

I feel no happiness.

I feel no pain.

Am I soulless?

Am I dead?

At least now I can feel something.

Now I can feel that tingly sensation at the tips of my fingers.

I can feel the warmth of my blood yet the coldness of my skin.

This is the last time I will feel; feel this sweet release of pain.

With the last of my energy I curl my fingers into a fist so I can see my nails.

This only makes the crimson liquid flow faster.

I smile to myself as I glance at my black chipped nails.

In a final act of defiance I am wearing my favourite outfit.

My dark clothes to match my dark thoughts and now my dark death.

I am at the lake; the place I feel safe.

I am happy at last.

With my death I am finally happy.

My eyes slowly shut and I breathe out a sigh.

I am happy.

I know I can't cause anyone else pain anymore.

They too can now be happy in their pretty pink lives.

A deep black swirl fills my head.

I am falling into a sweet darkness.

It is peaceful.

But once again my happiness ends.

My body starts to jitter from the lack of blood.

Fire burns through my soon to be lifeless body as it aches for the sweet crimson blood that won't ever be returned.

There is a shining, burning light at the end of my deep black tunnel.

I am falling.

I am dying...

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:09 pm
LJM368 wrote a review...

Holy f*ck, that was creepy. I've tried writing things like this before and could never really do it right, but you got it spot on. The description of her life was short, and has to be figured out with mostly guesswork by the readers, but I think that's good in a poem setting. It adds to the aura of strangeness and despair. The mention of the lake cast a nice picture, and also made it a little bit more sad since the place she feels safe must not be enough for her anymore. She can't go anymore, it doesn't exist, whatever. You don't need to say why. Another thing to guess, which leads me to thinking about it more. (which is always good) Excellent piece of writing.

(Also, a random note. I like the word 'jitter'. That is all.)

~LJM368

Valkyrie17 says...

Thank you for the review! I am glad I have got you thinking about her story. ^^ And yeah jitter is a cool word, especially in this setting. :3

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:27 am
Alora wrote a review...

(I'm new at reviews so please bear with me)

This piece made quite an impression on me! I could really feel the girl's acceptance of her end...no fear, more a sense of relief. The descriptions were great; 'my black chipped nails' and 'their pretty pink lives'. It was enough for me to speculate her story; possibly a victim of bullying or simply an outsider...and her mention of 'causing other's pain' is enough to indicate her battered view of self-worth.

The mention of the lake was subtle, though it had me think of a quiet place - giving me the impression she's most comfortable alone. It makes me wonder, has she always been a loner, or did the torment drive her to feel safety in solitude? What drew her to choose this place for her act? (this had me thinking deep).

It was a chilling and captivating read. By the end, I had goose-bumps! I'm keen to read more of your future work :-)

Valkyrie17 says...

Thank you for the review! :D I am glad I managed to get you asking all those questions. I like to think that when people read this they make up their own story of why and how she in such a place dying. Thank you!

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:15 pm
LMJRayner wrote a review...

With the title 'A Suicidal Girl' you can guess what the poem entails. It's quite vivid, the description is focused on the blood and the red. I think that is perfect for this type of story, there is nothing else in her life and that is why she has done this, that is why she talks only about what she feels and that is this blood trickling down her arm. That's how I see it anyway, it may fall slightly into the cliche area but that's fine.

"Life has no meaning.

I have no meaning.

I feel no happiness.

I feel no pain.

Am I soulless?

Am I dead?"

I really liked this part, because of the structure. Most people forget about how the poem actually looks to a reader and it comes through strongly here, the way the lines get shorter and shorter as she speaks. Almost as if she is getting light headed and dizzy, the loss of blood effecting her.

I like the end a lot, there isn't a final explanation which is always the best. I do feel that it doesn't need the "I am dying..." line, if it ended with "I am falling." I think it leaves it even more open and the reader understands what that means, the dying part is a given.

You mention that she's sitting at a lake, I think the reader needs more than that, we need to know why, she may feel safe but why does she? She has chosen to end her life in this place and it is only given one line? Just a little more would do.

Hope this helped,

LMJ

Valkyrie17 says...

Thank you! It means so much to me hearing what you think of it. :) Also thanks for the advice I will definitely take that into consideration if I decide to rewrite it. Thank you!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:12 am
aouther2b wrote a review...

This was such a dark and deep piece that I just knew I needed to review it right away.

What I liked:
1. The emotion. You got deep, really deep. You went to a place that people are either consumed with or are too scared to go to. Your piece makes people feel. Great job.

2. The imagery. While no one likes to imagine the image of someone they care about, or themselves, dying your descriptions showed the pain as well as the reality of what this is about. In particular I like how you put the part about pretty pink lives, it creates a contrast from all the black you presented.

What I didn't like:

1. The flow. At times is was a bit off. The longer lines were what I think caused that. You managed to get such strong emotion out in the shorter lines that the ones that were longer kind of muddled it for me.

Overall:
Powerful, and realistic. You managed to put words to what many people struggle with. If you yourself are dealing with it, I hope it gets better for you. I can't say it will cause frankly I struggle with it, but I pray it will for everyone else. Great job and keep writing. I loved it!

Valkyrie17 says...

Thank you so much for the review! An extra thank you for the criticism! I do feel it its a bit odd (the longer lines) but I am struggling with a way to add more description but keep to the short lines for impact. Another massive thank you for your last comment! I have struggled with it and gotten past it so I know it is possible for you too. :)

aouther2b says...

Just wanted to let you know that I too struggle with adding more description without compromising the flow so just keep working on it and it should become easier.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:35 am
ImHero wrote a review...

SO when I look at poetry often derived from pain I look at the personal experience to see if it is real. It does not seem real, it seems like you were trying to make a captivating poem, a poem that was not accounting for accurate events and experience in your own life. Your going to get a lot of people that will tell you not to ever fall into the cliché of suicide and other things because it is contemptuous unless it is truly demonstrated that it is meant through personal experience. Your dancing on thin line here, and I don’t believe you know the rules of poetry to break them just yet.

Here is the problem; the idea of blood pouring down veins, life having no meaning is a saturated idea that is plagued with extreme formalities. That makes it very unoriginal and frankly it makes it distasteful. But sorry, this poem had very good detail and marks your potential as a writer. And even though I write such a review I hope you enjoy writing it. This review is to try and push you in the right direction to write better but where you go is up to you. I like you as a writer but I wish you would tell us YOUR story and not rewrite a story made by so many individuals.

Thanks, and I hope you do good things with your next poems.

ImHero

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:52 pm
Hanorah wrote a review...

Hey valkyrie17!!
I'm hanorah and I'll be reviewing your poem, by the way, welcome to young writers society!Its sort of a functional dysfunctional family (that's how I see it anyway).

Anyway, to the reviewing.

I'm not sure if you pressed short story by accident because I see it more as a poem?
I did like this piece, it was nicely written, and quite morbid.
I think if you took the cans out of I can feel no happiness, I can feel no pain' it would add more effect.
I don't think I can see any punctuation or grammar problems so well done!! Hope you enjoy YWS, I'm quite new to it too and I love it!!
~keep writing

Valkyrie17 says...

Hey! Thanks for the welcome and review Hanorah!
Yeah, like I mentioned below I didn't know this would be good enough as a stand alone to belong in the poetry section but I have moved it over now. I am glad you liked it and I have made those changes. :) Also I'm loving YWS so far as well, I can't believe I hadn't found it sooner!

(By the way I love your avatar!)

Thanks again! ~ Valkyrie

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:10 pm
birk wrote a review...

Hey Val!

Doing a quick review of your first entry, beware!

Alright, I'm not sure if you tagged this wrong or if its actually a short story. This seems like a poem to me. Might just be a quick error you did.

Anyhow, the piece itself is quite well written. You write descriptions very well and you give a lot of life to a little scene.

However, I feel there is a bit too much padding. There are several places where you could remove some text and it would add even more of an impact. I'll give an example:

I can feel no happiness.

I can feel no pain.

I feel no happiness.
I feel no pain.

Does that mean I am soulless?

Does that mean I am dead?

Am I soulless?
Am I dead?

It adds a bit more punch.

Aside from this, there were a few grammatical errors here and there:

There is a shining, burning light

Overall, it's a nice work. If you wrote this several years ago, you're writings skills should be honed by now, looking forward to new works. ;)

Cheers
Birkhoff

Valkyrie17 says...

Honestly, it wasn't a mistake I just didn't see this as poetry as I have never written any before therefore I didn't really know this was suited for that section. I have changed it now!

Thanks so much! I really like your suggestions and have already made the changes. :D Thanks again and I am looking forward to you reviewing them. I am so glad think this is a good piece. :D

~ Valkyrie

Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:51 pm
ShadowHunter wrote a review...

Wow, this was super dark. It almost felt like it should have been a free verse poem because of the way you set up the lines. The idea for the story was a great one, not many people do dark pieces on this website, so I was interested and excited to see where you took it. I wish you had started with why she was killing herself instead of just her being 'Ha, I'm dead, now go on with your lives.' Give us some context as to why she feels like she needed to kill herself. Was she bullied, did her parent's abuse her, what? People don't just kill themselves, they have reasons, that to them, are sound reasons as to why their life needs to end. I fell like you tried to explain it when you talked about people going on with their pink lives, but I would like it if you could go into deeper detail. I liked the idea, and with a bit more meat on it's bones, this could be an amazing story!

Valkyrie17 says...

Thank you! I have changed it to the poetry section now. I've never set out to write poetry it just kinda ended up like that. Originally, I did follow on the story and in it I explained a little why she was killing herself. To be honest it was a sort of prelude to the story thats why there is lack of detail, because I most likely won't be following this on I thought I would leave out the exact reason so that the reader could interpret it however they want. Although I do like your suggestion and will probably rewrite it at a later date in a longer version as a 'short-story'. Thanks for the review and I am super happy you enjoyed it!

~ Valkyrie

The author of my life has some ambitious ideas for me to become a super villain
— FireEyes