Devil Touch - Chapter Three

by SushiSashimi333

Marya watched silently from high in the trees. The crisp scent of mountain air was a nice change from the polluted city air she was used to, and it would have been perfect if not for the disgusting scent of human flesh. She grimaced looking at the strange haired girl hiding in the trees.

There must be some reason she's hiding from these people. Marya reasoned. Is it because she did something to them? And if so, what? With her physique it doesn't look like she could do much. Maybe she has some sort of otherworldly ability such as I. She shook her head. She would just have to wait and see.

Silently she watched the little group of villagers. They didn't seem to notice the girl hiding in the trees, as they passed underneath. Marya was air itself. She was the wind in the door and the breeze in the trees. She was your very breath. Only when she chose to, she took on her physical form.

"Haec depellere nobis maledictum quia..." The smallest whisper reached her intangible ears. The words were old, far older than even Marya's native tongue. Magic. Marya wrinkled her nose in disgust. Magic smelled even worse than humans, and humans smelled pretty bad.

As the whisper grew to full on chanting the surrounding air grew heavier. Marya watched on, expressionless, as the events unfolded below her. It all meant nothing, yet something seemed to stir within Marya as she watched the girl attack the priest.

"Stop! Please, I'm begging you." The priest's cries echoed. "I have a family. Spare me, please!" She shook her head in disgust. A true man knew when he was defeated, and this guy never even stood a chance. Still the strange emotion seemed to bubble up within her as she watched the priest suffer. She sighed, closing her eyes in thought.

Should she intervene on their mortal affairs or just watch them unfold?

"Well that's a stupid question." Alarmed by the sudden interjection on her thoughts, Marya opened her eyes. No longer was there crisp mountain air, instead the distinct scent of sulfur and flowers filled her nostrils. Before her hovered a man sitting with his legs crossed and eyes closed. Clenching and un-clenching her fists, Marya realized that she was now in her physical form. "Sanna. What are you doing? Didn't I tell you to stop intruding on my thoughts?" She said as coldly as she could manage.

"And how many times do I have to tell you that we share the same physical body, so I can't help hearing your thoughts." The man called Sanna replied.

Marya looked up to the river of silk flowing above her, wondering why he must always be right. "Just get to the point Sanna." She groaned.

It took a couple seconds for him to comprehend what she meant. His eyes shot open upon remembering.

"Promise to watch over that girl for me will you?" Marya cocked an eyebrow. "My mother asked this of me and probably my other siblings. Just do it, okay?" Sighing, she slowly nodded her head in agreement.

The scene faded and once again she was back at the mountain, only she was in her physical form. Surrounding her were wide eyed men, some burly and some so lean they she could easily snap them like a twig. Over to the side was the girl laying unconscious next to the, still shaken, priest. There was no argument to what she would do next. She had made a promise, and she didn't like breaking them.

With the agility of a panther, she lunged at her prey, taking them down one by one. One second she was kicking a man's head forward. One down. The next she was striking the vital pressure points at lightning speed. Six down.

Now, since the rest of them were farther away, and to save herself any more strain, Marya removed her whip from its fastening. Its liquid like, diamond end glittered in the moonlight as it snaked back and forth with the breeze.

"He's a magic user!" Shrieked one of the scrawnier villagers. His attempt to warn his comrades surprised her, but why waste time being surprised? She had time for that later.

Marya scrunched her eyebrows. Yet again someone had mistaken her gender. With a flick of her forefinger, the air trapped within the liquid diamond came to life. It stretched and coiled its way around each neck, constricting until the only living people were Marya, the girl and the priest.

Blood trickled slowly from the priest's now empty eye sockets. He wouldn't live for long. Marya clutched her stomach, bent over, and hurled. Blood spattered the ground before her as she collapsed unconscious.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:06 am
Noelle wrote a review...

I feel so horrible about this...I completely forgot about reviewing your novel (-_-;) But I'm back to review another chapter. Please don't be mad! Just kidding, I know you wouldn't get mad at me...just a little annoyed ^_^

Alrighty then. Onto the review!

The crisp scent of mountain air was a nice change from the polluted city air she was used to, and it would have been perfect if not for the disgusting scent of human flesh.

Great description here. I love the idea of describing the smell instead of the look. It gives the setting another dimension, one that not many writers focus on. Makes it interesting.

This dialogue is a bit confusing. Not the words themselves, but who is saying them. While I was reading, I understood that this boy (man?) Sanna was the one saying this, but it's still not perfectly clear. There should probably be a dialogue tag after the first part of the dialogue. It could read "'Promise to watch over that girl for me will you?' Sanna said definitely. Maya cocked an eyebrow at his request." Written that way, it's clear who is speaking the dialogue and who is the one responding to it.

Overall I enjoyed this chapter. I think the addition of Maya and Sanna to the character list is great. Now there are more people involved in this girl's life. I feel like these two are going to cause some major trouble in this girl's life. She seems very stubborn and won't want to accept help. The idea of Maya being like the wind is an interesting thing as well. Great job describing that by the way.

Your writing style is great in this story. You seem to have found the perfect balance and perfect way to write this. It's formal enough to leave an impression on the reader, but just informal enough to be readable by young adults and teens.

I hope to see more of Maya in the next chapters, which I'm sure I will. If we don't see much of her for the rest of the story you fail :P Just kidding. Anyway, I hope you really work on developing her as well because she's such a different character. She's basically a spirit, right? And she has a host body that she can pop in and out of. Very cool.

Alright, onto the next chapter!

**Noelle**

Actually, if you look at the prologue you shall see who Marya really is O_O Surprise! XD Thank you so much for the review, and to be honest I totally forgot myself so I'm not mad in the slightest. I'm glad that you like this and I shall definitely go back and clear up about Sanna. Hope you like the next chapter!

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:16 am
TinkerTwaggy wrote a review...

Another pretty bloody and interesting chapter ^_^
I was surprised that the Wind Tamer Marya appeared so soon, but at the same time thrilled by her next move.

"With the agility of a panther, she lunged at her prey, taking them down one by one. One second she was kicking a man's head forward. One down. The next she was striking the vital pressure points at lightning speed. Six down."

Now that's a nice way to narrate a speedy beating :D

The development of her persona is interesting too, since she's supposed to be a girl with elemental powers, but she seem to despite humans, or at least consider them as strange creatures.

I wasn't expecting her to have two spirits (the second one being Sanna if I recall), and I'm eager to see how you'll develop the relationship between the two as well.
Also, why Sanna wants to protect Cerys, that's another question that needs to be answered. Cerys seem to be linked to the elementals in some way, andI wonder how much considerin she has the Devil Touch and a kind of magic in her.

Keep on writing, I can't wait for your finished chapter four ;)

~Shell Master Tortwag~

Yay! I'm so glad that you liked Marya. I really like her too ^_^ I myself don't know what kind of plot twist I should make Sanna cause, but something big, or small. :P Thanks for the review!

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:26 pm
BlueSquare wrote a review...

BlueSquare here, to reivew your piece!
I really enjoyed this piece. I liked how their was a distant struggle between the mortal and the magical world, and that people with magical abilities (like demons, etc.) lived and were mixed in with mortals.
It was extremely descriptive (which isn't a bad thing) and very fluent. The piece flowed into itself as it went. I did notice a few things, which I'm going to mention here.

"They didn't seem to notice the girl hiding in the trees, and obviously they couldn't see her."
I felt as if this line was a little repetitive. You basically said the same thing twice, but just reworded it a little bit.

Also, every time you had one of your characters say something, there was a long paragraph after with no new paragraph. This may be correct, but that's how I write. I bet I've been writing it wrong the whole time. Haha!

Other than that, this piece was astounding. Like I said, descriptive and fluent. I especially liked the rustic and medieval feel that you added to the piece. I'll be looking forward to the next chapter!

-BlueSquare

Thanks for the review! Now that you mention it that line really does need to be fixed. I'm glad you got the medieval vibe because that's kinda how I imagine it. I shall update you once the next chapter is out!

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:06 pm
Sins wrote a review...

Hey Sushi, here to review as requested! :) This is a pretty short chapter overall, so I apologise in advance if my review is lacking at all.

Anyways, I thought this was a really nice follow up chapter from your last one. I like that we're introduced to another character through their perspective (so to speak anyway as this is a 3rd person novel). Marya seems really interesting, and I'm looking forward to finding out who she is exactly. I also like how you hinted that Cerys is special for whatever reason, but you did so without giving that reason away. It adds some mystery to the whole thing, which I think is pretty awesome. The technical side of your writing was good too, and nothing really stood out to me. As a result, the chapter flowed nice and smoothly!

With regards to critiques, there are only really two things that stood out to me. Now I reviewed the last chapter a while back (as in I have the memory of a decapitated goldfish, so the furthest my mind can go back is about five minutes), and so I can't remember if I mentioned this in that last review. Basically, I feel a little confused by the world this is set in. This is the third chapter now, and I'm still not overly sure how everything works. While I really like the addition of Marya, it does conjure up another string of questions in my head. Who is she? What's the deal with Sanna? How do they share a physical body? They seemed to be separate bodies in the scene you showed us, so I'm not too sure about that. Basically, I'm a very confusable person who'd maybe like to see some more explanation on some things.

Don't get me wrong here though, I don't want you to reveal absolutely every detail about absolutely everything. I want you to keep some mystery i.e. the mystery of what makes Cerys so special. I just personally think that you could explain and develop some things more deeply, for example, the whole sharing the same physical body thing surrounding Sanna and Marya. Just generally explain their situation a bit more really. Please do take this critique with a pinch of salt though because, well, this could easily just be a massive me issue. Maybe my attention spam is just really awful.

The only other thing that caught my attention in this chapter was the ending. The chapter as a whole made sense, it was believable, seemed natural e.t.c. but the ending caught me off guard a little. I'm talking about when Marya threw up and passed out. It just seemed really... random. Like it sprung from nowhere. Marya's been portrayed as a pretty tough, kick-ass kind of girl with a bit of an attitude (which I think is fantabulous), and so for her to suddenly pass out seems uncharacteristic of her. It wouldn't really be a problem if she hadn't beaten up (possibly killed) all of the other guys before seeing the Priest, but surely if she can easily do that then some gouged eyes shouldn't bother her much. It just seemed a bit inconsistent with her character is all, so I figured I better mention it.

But yus, I think that's it. Sorry if I've been a little useless here, but please do let me know when the next chapter's out (I see it's still a draft at the moment). I'd like to read and review it! You know where to find me if you have any questions or comments regarding this review, so please don't hesitate to do so. With some tweaking here and there, I think this chapter could be a really great addition to the novel. :)

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins

Yeah, actually if you read the prologue that should tell you who Marya is. Also the part about Marya puking and Sanna, that will all be explained in the next chapter along with small flashes of Cerys' past. The world is kinda confusing because it's like a mush of a bunch of different ideas, since it's fantasy and all, but I shall definitely focus more on clearing that up. I shall tell you once the next chapter is out! ^_^

Sins says...

Oh yeah, I just read it back now, and I now see that she's a wind tamer! That's okay then, so long as her puking is explained because it did seem a bit odd, haha. But yus, please do let me know when you post the next part. :)

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:20 am
mystogan wrote a review...

Great chapter and a nice change from the devil girls's point of view. It provided a different perspective which was lacking before. I thought I didn't mind but it really helped hearing another person's viewpoint on the matter.

Now who is this person and her strange friend. It seems they are also wierd lie the devil girl. I am aware there are other touches so which is this or is this something else? I like how even though there is action you seem to foucs more on other things like little arguments and personalities. It helps move the plot along but you seem to be keeping to a specific line of thought. This has successfully introduced a new character.

Also kudos on shifting scenes. Going back to where we were before but then doing it from a different viewpoint helps provide perspective. With the devil child, I felt it too much like hunting prey when she killed. This one seems a little more human. But I did read she was immortal or at least not mortal since she refers to their affairs as mortal affairs of something.

So I can see the next chapter is out, I will get to that soon enough.

Oh yeah! Actually in the prologue it should say who Marya is, and as for Sanna he will be explained in the next chapter a bit and what their relationship is with each other.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:12 pm
Yazi wrote a review...

Hi there Sushi! :) Yazi here to review for you!
It's been a while since I've reviewed so please bear with me.
Alright, so this is so far my favorite chapter. It's interesting how you change the point of view of your book and I think this is an interesting way to introduce a new character rather than through the eyes of the main character.
There is one thing I must say though, Marya's reasoning makes a lot of sense and each thought flows from the previous (if that makes sense) but it's kind of like she knows too much about the main character just by looking at her. Is it so obvious that some people have powers that Marya would come to this conclusion?
I'm going to stop talking to you about grammar because you're pretty boss at that.
The details you give about how she kills everyone makes me squeamish. That's a good sign because it means it's realistic!
This is really good Sushi! :) You're a very good writer, I'm a fan of yours!
I hope this is encouraging, keep on writing!

Thanks! Thank goodness you told me about how you view Marya's thoughts, I never would have caught that on my own. I'm glad that you like this and hopefully this shall continue to be good ^_^

Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:03 pm

This is amazing. I have noticed that you have really put a bunch of effort into writing this. It has a lot of great punctuation! You are a true writer!

Thanks! :D

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:39 pm
vjay says...

omg!this is grand.,,,,am just new here can i be enlighted a little

Thank you very much and welcome!

The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from one who does.
— Anonymous