z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence

Devil Touch - Chapter Two

by SushiSashimi333


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

From her perch high in the trees, Cerys watched as several villagers passed under her. Wow, they really did come to look for me. She shook her head, a smile spreading across her face. Fools. She knew that the village wanted her dead at all costs, but to think after what she did to their priest. They no longer had any “divine protection” from her “devilish ways”, so why would they risk searching for her?

As the search party disappeared from sight, Cerys started her descent down the tree. It took longer than climbing, since she had to feel her way with her feet. She was halfway down when a strange muttering reached her ears. The words made no sense to her, but even so, she knew what it meant. Trouble.

Instantly her vision began to spin and her body began to numb. Devil Wards, great. Cerys tried to think clearly. Hoping it would help, she focused her attention on a small pebble by the base of the tree. Bad idea. The pebble grew and grew, and the ground along with it. THUD!

Fire screamed through her veins, igniting every nerve in her body. It felt as if daggers were piercing her skin, slowly and painfully. Cerys thrashed her arms as if trying to push the knives in, get the pain over with, but that only made things worse. A shriek escaped her throat, echoing throughout the mountain. Saliva dripped from the contorted corners of her mouth, running until it finally hit the ground dissolving altogether.

“Well aren’t you pathetic?” Cerys’ eyes rolled over to glare at the figure towering over her. A black robe dropped from his thin shoulders and a giant cross swung from his neck. The town sure was getting desperate for a priest. It was obvious from the strength of his ward that he had just been sworn in. It may have been strong in the beginning, but the real key to a good ward was how long it lasted. Already she could feel the pain ebbing away, her mind clearing slightly.

“Did you really think you could escape being cleansed? You’re cursed, there’s no way that you could escape God’s wrath.”

Cerys smirked. That's it, keep talking. “Your God can’t do shit. If this God of yours is so powerful, then why am I still alive?”

“Because even God has things he hesitates to touch, you little imbecile. Don’t you know anything?” More than you. You can’t even keep up a decent Devil Ward, but that's fine by me.

“I know that I’m Devil Touched and I know that without the Devil Ward’s power, you’re even weaker than the God you worship!” Cerys sprang. She stab his eyes with the pads of her thumbs. "If you want to be closer to your God I would suggest getting rid of these troublesome eyes. Judging people based on appearance is supposed to be a big no no, isn't it?" Cerys cooed. "Now these hands. How many lives have they taken so far? Two, three, or don't you know?"

“Stop! Please, I'm begging you. I have a family. Spare me, please!” The priest cried.

"Stop? Stop!? That sounds like an order! Do you honestly think you have the right to order me around? You little bastard! Do you have any idea why you're where you are now? Do you even have the slightest hint, of why I ended up like this?! Do you!" Cerys' eyes watered, tears threatening to spill. "You know you're not the only one. I think so too." She was sobbing now. "I'm a monster and a curse, but I have no choice, I have to live like this! It's how I was born." Her voice trailed off as the sobs took over.

A sudden pain struck her head. Her vision blurred. What was happening?

(To be continued...)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
102 Reviews


Points: 196
Reviews: 102

Donate
Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:20 pm
TheShauzer wrote a review...



Hey Sushi, Shauzer here reviewing :)
I liked this chapter, and I think that this could even be published with some touch-ups :) It's most likely better than my attempt at a novel, but I'll not delve into that. I thought this was very short compared to the last chapter? Or maybe I just can't remember the last one that well :') my apologies. This was good though, I like where the story seems to be going, I like how you're building up her Devil Touch powers. But there were some things I found a bit odd. I thought a comma was missing once, "running until it finally hit the ground dissolving altogether." In between ground and dissolving, but i don't really care about that so I won't go into those stupid errors, of which there wasn't many anyway :) Um... I thought her language was a bit odd, I mean... It wouldn't be so bad but the character seemed to change awfully quickly :P In the first chapter she was innocent, frightened, she didn't know what to do about anything. Now, all of a sudden, she's a killing machine? It just seems a bit odd, and i get the feeling that if I was reading it continuously, like I would a real book, I'd be asking myself what the hell was going on :D Just try and slow the changes she's going through down a bit, unless that's the effect you were going for. I also wonder, why would the priest go to get her when he doesn't have the power to stop her killing him? Even after she killed the other two guys, weird...
Other than these small things, I'm finding the story really enjoyable :) Try to lengthen out your paragraphs, give more description, all we know about the scenery is that there's a tree :D Nice work,
Keep writing.
Yours in ink,
TS.






Yeah, I write really short stuff DX I'm working on that though with the revamping :D I'm definitely changing around the order, and I have started to actually get to know Cerys, finally XD She'll be more consistent next time around ^^



TheShauzer says...


Cool :)



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:53 am
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hey there! I'm finally back for another review! :)

She knew that the village wanted her dead at all costs, but But to think after what she did to their priest insert comma here they no longer had any “divine protection” from her “devilish ways”, so why would they risk searching for her?

The first sentence in this quote is a bit awkward. The part about the priest wasn't explained well. It needs to be connected with the part about what the priest meant to the towns people, otherwise it's an unfinished sentence. The priest is just thrown in there and we aren't really sure why. But once it's connected with the part about there no longer being one, then it makes sense.

As the search party disappeared from sight, Cerys started her descent down the tree. It took longer than climbing, since she had to feel her way with her feet.

This is confusing as well. If she didn't climb down the tree, how did she get down? I'm assuming that she floated down, but that's just an assumption. I don't know if it's true or not. I want to see a little something in here explaining just how she got down the tree. It's obviously part of her power so that's a big thing to describe.

"You know you're not the only one. I think so too." She was sobbing now. "I'm a monster and a curse, but I have no choice, I have to live like this! It's how I was born." Her voice trailed off as the sobs took over.

I like this part. You want to know why? Because Cery seems human. This character who's been taken over by this curse has seemed like nothing but a monster up until this point. And now she's been taken to a new level and we've begun to see past her shell. This is great characterization. This is the kind of stuff people can relate too. Keep up the good work.

Overall I think this chapter was a little short. But it was still good. We got the information we needed. Now we know that the city is chasing after Cery and we know about her relationship with the priest. I wish that this chapter would've gone into more detail about the priest and what she was going to do to him, but that'll most likely be shown in the next chapter so I can wait for that (I think...)

Good job with another chapter. Onto the next one!

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




User avatar
1087 Reviews


Points: 44360
Reviews: 1087

Donate
Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:11 pm
View Likes
Sins wrote a review...



Hey Sushi, sorry I'm a little late, but alas I am finally here!

I skimmed back over the past few chapters and noticed that you've edited them a lot, and I must say that I definitely think you've edited them for the better. I see some great improvements, and I like the direction the story is going at the moment. As for this chapter anyways, I liked it. Cerys seems like a much stronger character than I remember, so that is really awesome. The writing itself is good, you have a nice flow to it, and nothing stood out to me grammatically at all. A really nice, well written chapter overall. :)

I don't have piles and piles of critiques because this is a very short chapter, but I have managed to conjure up one or two things to mention to you. I'm first going to give you a suggestion rather than a critique really, and it's regarding format and sentence structure 'nd stuff. Basically, in the fourth paragraph (where Cerys is struck by intense pain) and the scene where she attacks the priest guy, I think you should go all out in terms of playing around with sentence structure. I'm primarily talking about short sentences here.

At the moment, these scenes paragraph are a little monotonous because you generally use the same sentence lengths throughout, and the tone of those scenes is the same as the tone of the rest of the piece. I just feel that because Cerys is meant to be in pain, and because she's going crazy and attacking some dude, you should portray the suspense and intensity through the way you build your sentences. To put what I'm trying to say simply, don't be afraid to throw in some short sentences. They can be marvelous at creating a certain type of mood in a piece of writing, and are especially good if you want to create a speedy, tense, suspenseful, or intense atmosphere. Just have a mess around and see what you can come up with.

Now as for content itself, I find Cerys' reaction to what goes on in this chapter a bit questionable and contradictory. Let me explain... So after Cerys attacks the priest, she seems absolutely appalled and really disgusted at what she'd done. That's fine in itself, but the problem I'm having is that she found it extremely easy to go ahead and attack him, and was very eager to do so before she actually did anything. Ummm, does that make sense? Basically, at the beginning of this chapter she seems very careless and seems willing to hurt whoever to get on with things, yet at the end she seems completely different and heavily regretful. If she really was that regretful and good as a person, it seems odd that she would have attacked the priest so easily in the first place. Err, kapeesh?

The only other thing that bothered me about this chapter was its length. It's so short! Now admittedly, this is coming from someone who writes 3,000 word chapters and should probably sort that out, but nonetheless I do think this is a wee bit too short. I am aware that everyone else has said this so sorry for repeating them, but I do think it's important. You also have said somewhere that the next chapter is/is going to be really long so you can't combine it with this one, so I understand that. The problem there is that it's a big mistake to have one chapter as short as this one, and then the next one really long. It's a little off-putting and can throw the reader a bit, you see. People like consistency, it makes them less paranoid.

Now what I'd personally suggest with your length problem is that you either try and extend this in any way you can. Not pointlessly, of course, because every word of a novel should be important and relevant. If you can though, try extending this a little. If you are completely against that idea though, I think you should shorten the next chapter by putting the beginning of it on the end of this. Do you understand what I'm saying? That way, you'll be elongating this chapter and also shortening the next one (which is/is going to be really long). By doing that, you're killing two birds with one stone, and your'e getting that consistency back.

And I believe that's it! I have a feeling that I may not have made much sense in this review, so if I haven't please don't be afraid to let me know. You know where to get hold of me, so don't hesitate to contact me. Negatives aside, this is definitely an interesting chapter, and I look forward to finding out where you take this story next. Thanks for the read. :)

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins






I can try to lengthen it, the only problem is that there's really nothing more to say. I shall definitely play around with the sentence structure there, we can't have monotone torture now can we? XD Thank you so much for you review I shall definitely have you review chapter three when it comes out.



User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 726
Reviews: 24

Donate
Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:03 am
View Likes
Yazi wrote a review...



Hi Sushi! :)
So this is my review!
I'd like to start by saying that I really like the title change, it's more appealing to a ready than "elementals" and definitely catches my attention more.
When it comes to content i really like the descriptiveness of the chapter and how the main character isn't a hero like in every other story. She's an anti-hero and i thought that was pretty cool :D
The last two reviews were right about the length so I won't blabber too much about it, it wasn't long enough to satisfy me but then, it's your decision if you want to extend it or keep it the same length and write the rest in the following chapters. It's possible that you had nothing more to say in this chapter so the length depends on you... (oops I blabbered :p )
As far as grammar goes, I didn't see anything wrong..
It was a really interesting pieces so kudos for that! :)
The only thing I'd have to say is that some sentences, for example "(...) I can smash your snobby little face in." kind of makes me feel like it's been crafted too hard to make the characteer seem like a bad person. I mean like the sentences don't seem like something a person would say. I don't think peope really talk like that, yeah?
TThis is a really good piece Sushi, like really :) so keep me posted for more!
I really hope this helps! :)






This definitely helps. I really wish I could fix the length problem, but there really was nothing more to say. Also I shall go over the thoughts of Cerys again. They do seem unnatural don't they? I shall keep you posted ;)



User avatar
100 Reviews


Points: 2551
Reviews: 100

Donate
Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:45 pm
View Likes
mystogan wrote a review...



The first review was spot on. This is not long enough. I read through it in like 2 seconds and I am left wanting more but not in the sense that I have just read a proper chapter but something incomplete.
Secondly I think I have said this before but whenever the story switches from the narrator to her personal thoughts separate them from the story and put them in italics or inverted commas otherwise it is too confusing.

In terms of plot development the story has advanced slightly. I can see where it has gone. I can't say it has gone too far but i guess it is good to take it slowly for now as you are still in the early stages of developing Cery's character which has grown considerably. I like how there is this conflict between her instinct as the devil touched and her human side which still holds onto the morals. You do an excellent job of making the villagers hateable. I would advice moving the plot on and introducing more characters.

I can't wait for the lost villages to get involved.






Oh, I forgot that the italics don't come through when I copy and paste (since I use google docs). I will fix that now, also I didn't really know how to make this longer because the third chapter is going to be really long, so if I added them together then, yeah, my reader's eyes might burn out XD. (that's not funny O.o) Chapter four will I guess fill this is a bit, but new characters will definitely be on there way in the next chapter ^_^. Thanks for the review :D



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 2366
Reviews: 20

Donate
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:18 am
MTBassiony wrote a review...



Hey Sushi,
The second chapter is really short , I think these two paragraphs shouldn't be a chapter maybe it would be better if they were the first part of the chapter and then you van follow with more paragraphs, like you did in chapter one. Well anyway in this chapter you start to get the hang os your charachter creys and you start to think as if you were her, you made her words look devilish and evil, Really you're a very good writer.Hope yo see the next chapters soon.

Best wishes,

MTB.






oh my, I didn't realize people could read this. I saved it as a draft so it's still in process. Sorry for the confusion.





oh my, I didn't realize people could read this. I saved it as a draft so it's still in process. Sorry for the confusion.




Your hesitation suggests you are trying to protect my feelings. However, since I have none, I would prefer you to be honest. An artist's growth depends upon accurate feedback.
— LCDR Data