z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence Mature Content

Unbroken

by thewriterinside


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence and mature content.

Author's note: Yes, I know this has been changed. I've been going through a lot of editing, including some structure changes. Bear with me.

Part One

Prologue

I’m not insane. I’m not. Go away.” My voice was strangled, lost among the many voices around me.

The doctors dressed in green smocks and masks poked and prodded me, stabbing needles into my arm and listening to my heart. I was a bug under a microscope. They muttered words to each other, too quiet for me to hear. Everyone was in a panic.

My eyelids felt heavy. One of the syringes must have had something to make me tired.

No.

What were they doing? Staring at the grey tiles above me, I refused to let the drugs take me under. Footsteps echoed around me and it looked like the ceiling tiles were moving. Hands were pressing down on me, attempting to force me to stay still. I stared up at the square tiles and concentrated on the specks on each one, on the pristine shape. The sharp prick of the needle made me yelp, and my eyes started to close.

Maybe if I counted to myself, I’d be able to fight off the sleepiness that was about to consume me.

One, two, three...stay awake.

Four, five, six…don’t close your eyes.

Seven, eight, nine...stay awake…stay awake…

My hair was a tangled mess around me as I blinked away sleep from my eyes. The paper on the bed crinkled below me as I shifted my weight, stretching my muscles. A pillow had been placed under my head, but it felt like it was filled with rocks. How long had I been out? Where was I?

A needle had been jabbed into my arm, an IV slowly dripping liquid into a tube. A white hospital gown hung on my skinny frame and judging by the breeze, I wasn’t wearing any pants. My feet were freezing, too. I slowly sat up, silently removing the needle from my arm and wincing as I tried to rub some feeling back into my feet. My hands were like ice, so it didn’t help much. Large tremors rolled through my body; goosebumps had risen on my skin. My stomach made a noise that was only comparable to a dying whale; it felt very hollow. When was the last time I had eaten? The trays of cold mush they brought me from the cafeteria every day was not even worth forcing down. Each day, I had refused the sludge they called a meal.

My throat itched. I was very dehydrated and silently wondered if there was any water nearby. My eyes were suddenly drawn to the window; it was snowing like crazy.

Crazy.

“I’m not crazy,” I whispered to nobody in particular.

“You’re not,” A voice said from the doorway, as soft and gentle as velvet. My head snapped towards the voice immediately. A doctor was standing there, dressed in a green smock and mask like the rest of them.

“Go away.” I turned away from him. He was just like the rest of them. He was probably here to stab more needles into my arm or force feed me something gross.

“You’re not crazy,” he said to me. He strode to my bed and I realized how huge he was. Tall, with big slabs of muscle up and down his arms, with a wide, strong chest and back. Even under the smock, I could tell he was built. His dark eyes held such warmth that I couldn’t look away. “What’s your name?” he pulled his mask down, so I could see his smile. My cheeks heated immediately.

“Bella,” I rasped.

“Would you like some water, Bella?”

I stared at him, raising an eyebrow. Searching his face, I realized he was different than the other doctors. There was a kindness to him. Warmth.

He held out a tiny paper cup and I refused. I knew better; he was probably trying to find a sneaky way to give me more medicine. Even if he was handsome, I still couldn’t trust him. I shuddered, turning away.

Curiosity got the better of me and I turned my head to look at him. His eyes were such a deep brown that I couldn’t look away and I felt my hand reach for the cup. My eyes never left his as I gulped down the cup of water.

“Better?” He asked when I handed it back to him.

“I’d feel better if I wasn’t here,” I mumbled miserably. “I hate this place.”

He smiled and then effortlessly picked me up from the hospital bed, cradling me in both his arms.

“What are you doing?!” I squealed, kicking and beating my fists against his chest. It was like punching a brick wall. Tears poured out of my eyes as I tried to twist around and escape his grip.

“Shhh…Bella…calm down. I’m not going to hurt you.” His voice was as soothing as a warm bath. He waited a few moments for me to stop fighting him, and then wiped away my tears with his gloved hand. I could feel the warmth of his skin through his glove. His eyes held such sincerity that I couldn’t help but weep. My tears stained the shoulder of his smock as I cried. Softly stroking my cheek, he waited until I was calm and set me down into a wheelchair I hadn’t noticed before.

“I’m tired,” I said suddenly, defeated.

“I know. You were out for a long time and the drugs haven’t completely worn off yet.” he nodded, pushing me down the hall.

“Where are we going, doctor?”

“Don’t worry,” he chuckled. I relaxed a little, settling back in the chair. He stopped momentarily to wrap a blanket around my shoulders. The corners of my mouth lifted into a smile for the first time in a long time. Maybe the doctor wasn’t such a bad guy after all.

He pushed me down another hallway. I must’ve been hallucinating, because the next thing I knew, we were on the roof of the mental hospital. Snow fell in flakes onto the blue fleece blanket covering me and I shivered, looking around. How did we get on the roof?

“Bella, I’m going to help you,” he said gently, kneeling in front of me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:32 pm
Deanie says...



Hey there! I heard this was edited and up again, so I decided I would take a look at it again to see if I can review the new version!

There wasn't much to say here. The beginning is much the same as the last, but I think you fixed some technical details. My only problem was the time jump. You had a great scene with her trying to stay awake. And then when she does sleep and wake up, I expected only a few hours to go by. That's why I was slightly bedazzled when I notice she'd been offered food for a long time, and she knew the hospital well. You'd jumped days instead of hours! Maybe make this a bit more clear, perhaps with a time break. Like this:

***

Apart from that, it all looked good! Please let me know when the next chapter has been edited and reposted :D

Deanie x




User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 353
Reviews: 48

Donate
Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:41 pm
sbitonti wrote a review...



Hi Writer!

I loved everything about this. It was intriguing, well written, amusing, and adopted a little bit of charismatic romance!
I look forward to reading the rest.
This is so well-written, I can't really find anything to correct, other than pointing out to you, you have some repetitive bits in there. Try expanding your vocabulary.
Another little bit- You did a great job describing the physical aspects of the doctor, but I would include a bit more on his effect on Bella. Try to get on an emotionally connecting level with the reader too!
I appreciate the fact that you didn't include how Bella wound up at the hospital, other than the hints of "crazy", because I know they'll be later on revealed. And I love the suspense it creates!
A tip on how to proceed with the suspense- include tiny bits of Bella's past in the story, never revealing too much at once. Give it to the reader in pieces! It'll make your story even more interesting.
Another suggestion, be careful to not drag out your plot. You did a swell job here, but just in case for future reference. Can't wait to read more!
Oh! One more thing, this story has such a good beginning, I am sincerely hoping it doesn't become one of those teenage romance cliche novels. Put some depth into it!
You're a great writer, Keep writing!

Happy Review Day!!!
-Sbitonti




User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 am
Messenger wrote a review...



The Messenger here to review! Happy Review Day!

The doctors dressed in green smocks and masks poked and prodded me, stabbing needles into my arm and listening to my heart. It was like I was a bug under a microscope.

I love this line. But then it seems like the doctors disappear because you pull the needle out and get up. I think pulling the needle out seemed a little major thing to do.
My feet were freezing, too. I slowly sat up, silently removing the needle from my arm. I winced and rubbed my feet. My hands were freezing too, so it didn't help much. My whole body was freezing, and my throat was dry. I was very dehydrated and silently wondered if there was any water nearby.

Realize how many times the same words are used? It makes it seem redundant. I think you could shorten this section and still convey the message.
So, really interesting ending. Unfortunately I don't have time for the rest of the story right now, but it seems intriguing. I would say you do a pretty good job description-wise of telling the reader what is going on, without boring them to death with details.
Keep it up!




User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:47 pm
View Likes
Deanie says...



it was snowing like crazy.

Crazy.

“I’m not crazy,” I whispered to nobody in particular.

I love it <3

Not much I can add here because well, it seems that everything has pretty much been covered. But I shall read on :)

Deanie x




User avatar
115 Reviews


Points: 9790
Reviews: 115

Donate
Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:30 am
ChangeTheWorld wrote a review...



When You asked for a review I wasn't expecting you to already have 12! I hope I have something new and helpful to say though ;)

They muttered words to each other, too quiet for me to hear.
Everyone was in a panic.
I was starting to get sleepy.
One of the syringes must have had something to make me tired.

So...intriguing start for sure. These sentences are good, especially because short sentences are short to create dramatic effect and that is definitely the intent here. But the previous formatting made me kind of dizzy because none of them are really related, they're like panicked, random thoughts of the narrator's, which is good because the situation warrants for those emotions, but I think ^^ this formatting would be better. I also think the last line isn't needed, it's kind of redundant. And I only say that because it previously states she's surrounded by doctors and getting prodded by needles so MY logical conclusion is to assume her drowsiness is from that so you're telling me something I already know. BUT, if you want to leave the line I think there's possibly a better way to say it to make the sound fit better with the mood of the previous lines. Does that even make any sense? Anyway, here's an example: "They must have given me a sedative." Or something like that. But that's just a suggestion.

What were they doing? I stared at the grey tiles above me, refusing to let the drugs take me under.

I think it makes better sense for these two sentences to be switched, just because when she says "no", I want that next refusal sentence to really drive the point home, and then she can go into wondering again what the doctors are doing.

A lumpy pillow had been placed beneath my head, but it wasn't comfortable at all

By saying it's lumpy it's already implied that it isn't comfortable so I would advice either taking out the second half of the sentence or switching the "but" to an "and."

How long had I been out?

Okay, so before this sentence I was still under the impression that she was fighting sleep. Maybe I'm being dense and didn't realize when you clarified that she lost the sleep battle but I think it might need to be a little more clear. Like after she keeps chanting "stay awake...stay awake" you could add something simple like "crap" so I know shes done fighting. Because when it said "I blinked away sleep from my eyes" I know it meant she'd been asleep but it still applies to trying to fight sleep if you see what I mean? So yeah just a little clarification is what I'm getting at.

Tall, with big slabs of muscle up and down his arms, with a wide, strong chest and back.

This description is a bit awkward. There are better, less obvious ways to let the readers know these facts without just saying it. And also it sounds like he's some plate of ribs or something.

His eyes were such a deep brown that I couldn't look away

It was already stated that she couldn't look away so this isn't needed. If you wanted to include that they're brown you can take this sentence out and add it to the one in the paragraph above.

Very interesting. I love a good prologue with mystery and suspense so well done in that aspect. Um overall like I said it was good! Just a few general things I'd say that a lot of sentences start with "I" so try to vary that a little more and maybe just word them differently so you can change sentence variety and that will make the whole thing more smooth. Ummmm...I had more but I don't remember. I do plan on reading Chapter One though so maybe it will come to me then. Keep it up, this could get really interesting :D




User avatar
413 Reviews


Points: 11009
Reviews: 413

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:01 pm
View Likes
Cailey wrote a review...



Hey there! Cailey here with a review. So, as soon as my dad gets here I have to leave, so if this review has a really abrupt ending I'm really sorry, it just means I didn't get a chance to finish it.

I think you have a good start here, it's interesting, and very well written. You did a good job at setting up the scene and announcing that something is going to happen, and you also show that something did happen. So, instead of making your reader just get excited about what is going to happen, you make them want to know what happened before this. Double reason to keep reading- smart. :)

I think you could still add a little bit more description. Describe the hospital, is it still white walls and white beds? the doctors are wearing green, so that's already different than the stereotype. What about the rest? Is the rest normal, or also slightly different?

What about the character? We don't know much about the protagonist, which in a way is good because it shows that we need to keep reading to find out, but at the same time, at this point we should be drawn to her or him so that we are interested and really care about what happens next. We want to be able to feel for this character, and we want to agree that she is not crazy. Or maybe she is and we need to be in denial alongside her.

Try and find out how to make her or his character stronger. Bring in more thoughts and emotions, and as you go on bring in memories or flashbacks so we know why she ended up in a mental hospital in the first place.

I think that's all. yay! I finished the review before I had to leave. :)
If you need anything, let me know. Keep writing!




User avatar
189 Reviews


Points: 398
Reviews: 189

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:43 am
View Likes
manisha wrote a review...



Hi again!
manisha here to review for green Lantern.
Ah well, I really should have read the prologue first! Here it looks like Dylan is this good helpful person but as I have already read chapter one I have no love for him!
As always I love your writing! This doesn't disappoint me in any way!

My eyes were suddenly drawn to the window; it was snowing like crazy.

Crazy.

“I’m not crazy,” I whispered to nobody in particular.

I liked this part in particular! The way you connected snow to crazy to her defending her mentality.

Well done!
I'm going to go read chapter two!

-manisha




User avatar
332 Reviews


Points: 10657
Reviews: 332

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:14 am
View Likes
Blackwood wrote a review...



Nice job. I am going to point out a couple of things for this review.

The first thing is the start. In my opinion, starting with speech has never been the strongest way to begin, ESPEcially in a prologue, such as this. Interior monologue on the other hand, is completely fine. I recommend cutting the fact that its speech and putting it as a line in italics across the top like so.

I’m not insane.
I’m not.
Go away.

The doctors dressed in green smocks and masks poked and prodded me, stabbing needles into my arm and listening to my heart. It was like I was a bug under a microscope. They muttered words to each other, too quiet for me to hear. Everyone was in a panic. I was starting to get sleepy. One of the syringes must have had something to make me tired.

(I tried experimenting with putting it on three lines to catch the attention of the eye but the whole thing as one line works fine too.)
Other than that the rest of the opening paragraph is really good, it caught my interest.

Now onto critical stuff.
Tall, with big slabs of muscle up and down his arms, with a wide, strong chest and back. Even under the smock, I could tell he was built. His dark eyes

Ok please...... please...... I faceplamed when i saw this. I knew the instant that I found out the "velvety" voice was a he it was going to be one of those teen romances.... but please, spare us all. That description, it can attract some people, but it will put off anyone looking for a deeper story. I know I am being biased here but please... his muscles.. I mean come on.........................................

“Bella,” I rasped.

If you know whats good for you, you wont use that name either. Arabella? Annabella? Ah just..... yeah, you can tell I'm not a romance person. It just... connotations.

On the contrary to this I think that your writing style is good and solid. It contains a familiar style that can help consolidate readers. You have good skill.

NOW MAY THE PLAGUE BE WITH YOU! AHAHAHAHHAHAH.




User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 6441
Reviews: 110

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:52 am
View Likes
Gardevite wrote a review...



WHAT? I never reviewed the prologue! We'll let's remedy that!

Lovely beginning! If only I wasn't reading it backwards. Well you did a good job of introducing Bella and Dylan. I liked the descriptions of dylan. I could never really picture him before, but I can now!

I also liked how he keeps repeating how he's helping her in these flashbacks. Is Dylan messing with her or does he genuinely believe he's helping her? I would like to know!

Sorry I can't write more on this, as ive already read on :( but seriously does Dylan believe he's helping Bella?






Haha You silly duck. XD I'd love to talk plots with you and scheme. Message me when you can! <3



User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 11196
Reviews: 254

Donate
Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:54 pm
View Likes
Sonder wrote a review...



Rawr! Griff here for a review!

Wow. This was really good. You sucked me right in, from the first sentence on. This seems like the type of thing I would write, therefore something I really enjoyed. It's very well written, and your character is very believable.
Another comment is that you understood the meaning of a prologue perfectly. Some people "info dump" or give all the unnecessary information about their characters that they don't know where else to put. You did no such thing. You wrote it just the way a prologue should. It was interesting, drew in the reader, and left them asking questions and wanting to read more (which is exactly what I am going to do!). Wonderful job.
The only nitpick I have is that I got confused here.

I tried counting to myself. One, two, three...stay awake. Four, five, six…don’t close your eyes. Seven, eight, nine...stay awake…stay awake…

My hair was a tangled mess around me as I lay in the hospital bed.

I had to reread that before I realized that she had passed out. It may have been my own stupidity, but that confused me. *shrug*
Anyways, wonderful job. I hardly ever want to keep reading a piece, but you got my attention.

Great job, keep on writing and being awesome!

~GC




User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:31 am
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

I absolutely love your opening line. It really gives us insight into your character's mind. Not to mention, it really draws us in. Now you've got me wondering what this character is like which would make her insane.

This is a very interesting prologue; there's a lot you gave the readers to think about. First, there is this character of Bella. Who is she exactly? Why was she in the hospital? What exactly happened that made people think that she was insane? And if being insane was the only reason that she was at the hospital, why were all the doctor's so panicky? These are the questions I look forward to being answered (hopefully) later on in the story. You've got me hooked.

Your writing style is great. I found this easy to follow. There were no breaks in the flow that I could detect. Your introduction of these characters is great as well. You were able to introduce them to the story without giving away too much about them; without spoiling them for later chapters.

Overall, as I said before, I think this is a good prologue. On I go to chapter 1!

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:47 pm
Iggy wrote a review...



Hello there. Iggy here to review!

Okay, so this is a nice beginning thus far. We have a main character, a problem, and a possible solution, not to mention an ally. All we need is an enemy to hate and we have ourselves a good story.. possibly.

My biggest suggestion is more. More details, more imagery, more information. I understand that this was a prologue, and while prologues are meant to be short in length, they shouldn't be short in details. Instead of telling us about her surroundings, show us. Descrbe the docotrs, the IVs that pump liquid into her system, the plain gown they dressed her in, etc. Painting a picture for the reader is crucial to a successful story.

This has potention, so let me know when the next chapter is up. Just keep writing!

~ Iggy.




User avatar
187 Reviews


Points: 350
Reviews: 187

Donate
Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:55 pm
ChocoCookie wrote a review...



Hi thewriterinside! Cookie here to give you a review!

Okay, first I would like to say, this is a completely different subject to even write on. Not that the patient is in a hospital, the part where I think she's crazy but I totally believe she isn't. See, that's what the suspense is! I love suspense. It keeps you hooked. And that's just what the Prologue has done to me. It was an engaging read, I wanted more, more and more.

So, I'm definitely reading Chapter 1.
"My hair was a tangled mess around me as I lay in the hospital bed. How long had I been out? A needle was squished into my arm, an IV slowly dripping liquid into a tube. I was wearing a white hospital gown, and judging by the breeze, I wasn’t wearing any pants. My feet were freezing. I slowly sat up, silently removing the needle from my arm. I rubbed my feet. My hands were freezing too, so it didn’t help much. My whole body was freezing. I looked out the window; it was snowing like crazy."

You can totally get that picture of Bella being in the bed. That's not something all stories have. But you created that image to flow by through the reader's mind. The snowing just made the whole scene more cold, that dull scene and all of a sudden, you can imagine Bella's face. You know, that pale sort of skin. I liked how you described it.

What I laughed or rather smiled to was:-
"Having a handsome doctor take care of me wouldn’t be so bad."
Bella being in the hospital and so tired after all the needle poking and medicines, she was still in the state to judge a guy by his looks. Totally a girl thing.

All in all, I think it was an interesting read and now, I think I'm ready to go read Chapter 1. I can't wait!

Keep Writing! ~ 8)

xoxo,
ChocoCookie




User avatar
347 Reviews


Points: 25558
Reviews: 347

Donate
Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:06 am
OliveDreams wrote a review...



Me again :) Never realised there was a prologue so I guess this a rather unconventional way of reading and reviewing.

I like that I now have a little more insight into Bella's past. She's clearly one who trusts pretty quickly. Is this guy Dylan?! This is interesting me more and more.

Where you write, "I tried counting to myself. One, two, three...stay awake. Four, five, six…don’t close your eyes. Seven, eight, nine...stay awake…stay awake…" I think that you actually need to say that she eventually did black out because I was unaware. I thought it was pretty strange that she was practically unconscious and then sitting up and pulling on her needles.

I like that she's talking to herself at the beginning and not getting any answers from those around her. It helps with the mystery of it all.

I would also say that I like the way you use short and snappy sentences to create the same frantic state that Bella would be in at the start.

Well done! Message me when chapter 2 is up.

Olive <3




User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 487
Reviews: 33

Donate
Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:25 pm
Gabriellemarice99 wrote a review...



Hello I'm Gabby and I'm your not so secret Santa this Summer Christmas.

"It was like I was a bug under a microscope."
Good simile but its a bit wordy try to reword it to *I felt like an insect squirming beneath a microscope." I just fill it emphasizes the feeling more for the reader and makes the sentence overall less bland.

I also feel you have one to many simple sentences in the first paragraph try combining some of them to make them less choppy and overall help the flow.

I also noticed between paragraphs you had "No." and "Crazy." witch are internalized thoughts. Some writers put thoughts like that in italics, however I don't think you have to.

Overall I like the idea emerging here. You did very good on the prologue; not revealing to much.
Can't wait to read more XOXO Gabby.




User avatar
213 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 213

Donate
Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:31 pm
dark wrote a review...



Not much to say, other than great story you have here. I understand that's its just the prologue so it shouldn't be very long. The way it ends makes one fill with suspense as they wait for the next part to arrive. Like waiting for the next book in a hit series to be released. You anxiously wait for that book's announcement into the world, and you rush down to your local libray, or you quickly log onto your computer to find that one online book. But I'm getting ahead of myself here. It shows how much I like it. So here's my summery:
Bella is sent to a mental hospital for currently unknown reasons. She wakes up in the hospital and is escorted by a hansome doctor to the roof. The doctor is there to free Bella as he believes she's not insane. That's what I get anyway.
If I can I'll read the next parts because the story seems very interesting. Keep it going! :D :D
Cheers!
~Dark






Thank you for the wonderful review! That made my day! I can't even tell you how happy that makes me. :D
As for your summary, that's pretty accurate! I will post the next chapter soon. :) Thanks again!
-Rosie





Just letting you know, Chapter One has been posted!



User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:09 pm
Willard wrote a review...



This is very interesting. Not much to say. I am looking forward the future efforts in this project. I think this is a nice "hook" into the story. What I expect really is in the future
Something very bad happened, like an attempted murder or something
And the doctor is a bad guy, or is trying to help you
You are trying to find out why and what happened and what to do next.
Im not sure if I am close, but hey, it's a try
Dr. Strangelove gives you!
6.5/10






Thank you! I will uploading more chapters as I finish them. Right now I'm working on editing, but once they're done I will share them. Any suggestions to make it better?




I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
— Chandler Bing