The Empire Chapter 4: Blood is Thicker than Water

by Chinkstuhhh

Chapter 4: Blood is Thicker than Water

The annual Cotillion Debutante Ball is heading your way Upper East Siders-this Saturday to be exact. My sources tell me that our Queen, Nicole Bass has hitched herself a date with the number one bad boy Heath Ferro (besides Henry Bass…) Too bad Henry won't be able to escort his lady, but instead is taking Noelle Archibald. I love my sister but I can't wait to see what drama is going to stir up this week especially since there was history seen between the unlikely pair, Chloe Pearson and Johnathan Humphrey at Blair Waldorf's dinner party. More to expose later this week…

-J.A. The Teen Spectator

Nicole walked into her bedroom towel wrapped in her hair and around her body. She pushed open her closet doors and began to search for something acceptable to wear in this chilly fall weather. As Queen B not only does she rule Constance, but she also makes a fashion statement that other girls intend to follow. She picked out an original Nanette Lepore coat and a Catherine Malandrino top. She pulled out an original Waldorf Designs pencil skirt and her signature light black tights with short black Louibutton heels. A small beep came from her phone on the dresser. She walked over casually looking at her reflection in the mirror.

"Looks like The Teen Spectator told Manhattan that we're going together this weekend at the ball, just be my girlfriend already Nicki (; Can't wait to see your beautiful self. –H.F."Nicole read Heath's text message and smiled."Easy Ferro. I'm only going with you because you asked nicely."She placed her phone down and eyed her dress that she planned on wearing this Saturday for the 2013 Debutante Ball. It was a sleek gold dress that had a flattering reveal for the cleavage aligned with little shiny diamonds and a classy slit just below her right knee for the perfect exposure. Nicole ran her fingers down her dress imaging how perfect her night will be at the ball. She tried on her new pair of goldBlastJimmy Choos from the Jimmy Choo Cruise 2013 Collection and walked around testing them out. Checking her self in the mirror, a beep called from her phone. She walked over and picked up her phone wondering who it was this time.

"Not yet Bass. You know you can't resist me. See you later."Read the message. She chuckled and placed her phone back on her dresser. She took her heels off and placed them back in the box perfectly under her dress. She walked out into the Bass's penthouse hallway and searched for Henry. She found him sitting on the couch playingThe Last of Uson the PS3, concentrated on the tv screen. She wondered if he was still upset about what happened last night at their mother's dinner party. Chloe just ran away from Henry without any explanations and she was going to find out what exactly little Chloe is hiding. Nicole sat herself down next to her brother who didn't even pay attention to her arrival. "Mhmm." Nicole cleared her throat trying to get his attention. Henry looked at her then continued to play his game. After a night of getting left behind, Henry didn't want to get bothered but instead wanted to stay in the penthouse to lick his wounds.

"Yes Nicole?" He replied not taking his eyes off the screen. Nicole observed her brother then picked up his glass of water shocked that it wasn't scotch.

"Wow, no scotch? What else, you've stopped wearing those stupid polo booty shorts of yours?" She snickered placing the glass down. Henry laughed pausing the game.

"Very funny sis. Father hid the bottle of scotch after the little incident at the dinner party." He rolled his eyes taking another drink from his glass. "And there not booty shorts. It's signature." Nicole arched her perfectly waxed and filled eyebrow. She walked over to a nearby cabinet and opened it moving a couple of books aside, revealing all of Henry's alcohol stash.

"You're lucky you're my favorite brother. There's a reason why I'm daddy's little princess." Nicole sneered handing over her brother a bottle of scotch. He downed the rest of his water then took the bottle eagerly pouring himself a glass.

"I'm your only brother sis. But thanks, I really need this after what happened last night." Henry sighed taking a sip of his scotch. Nicole sat herself next to her brother again also pouring herself a glass. She was thinking of different scenarios on how to bring up the vendetta between John, Henry, and Chloe.

"To be honest, never expect Chloe to know Johnathan Humphrey. Did you ever find out what was going on between them?" Nicole asked looking at her brother sympathetically. He ran his hand through his hair and sighed.

"Nah. She told me it wasn't anything serious. " He replied, Nicole scowled at his response and took a sip of her drink. "But" Henry added. "That doesn't mean that I think it's all bullshit. I just want to give her time to open up to me. I don't care about her past. My past was pretty rough too…" He trailed off looking at her sister. Nicole's expression changed to a more sympathetic tone.

"We don't need to go there Henry." She placed her hand on his shoulder. "But I mean, past is the past but keeping secrets isn't a good thing. Judging by the way she reacted to his presence… doesn't look like just anything…" Henry looked at her hard then downed the rest of his scotch.

"I'm not too concerned. Neither should you Nicole. Your minions are probably waiting." Nicole got up and placed her glass on the table. Henry looked at her curiously in hopes to not make matters worse.

"Can't help myself. I have some business to attend too. Text me if you need anything." She said walking towards the elevator pulling out her phone.

"We need to talk. –J.H."Read the text message. Chloe held her phone for a little then sighed in frustration throwing it on her bed. She walked over to her vanity sitting down, putting on mascara. Blake walked in looking at his phone. He remembered the way Johnathan Humphrey looked at his sister and surprised she even affiliated herself with the Humphrey's. From being 'Brooklyn Nobodies' to Dan marrying Serena Van Der Woodson, people say there just a bunch of social climbers. Not to add that the Humphreys are in close ties with the Basses.

"What's up sis." He looked at his sister then walked over to sit on her bed. Chloe turned and looked at Blake curiously then went back to finishing her makeup. "You need something?" Blake looked down at his phone then eyed his sister curiously.

"Answers. You and Humphrey? What's with that." Chloe sighed in frustration and ran her hand through her hair. She placed her mascara down and turned to face her brother. Blake was staring hard at her still holding his phone. Chloe eyed her brother's phone until it beeped with another text message and quickly snatched it away from his hand.

"What are you doing? Find out what your sister's hiding. NOW! You owe me remember? –N.B."Chloe read the text message out loud. "So you work for Nicole now? What the hell?" Blake got up trying to get the phone out of her hands. She dodged her brother from grabbing the phone and ran into the hall trying to read their previous conversation.

"Look. I owe Nicole a favor. She got me into a full club a month ago when you weren't here." Blake surrendered placing his hands up. "I'm not working for anyone." Chloe tossed his phone at him and crossed her arms looking disappointed.

"Why does she care? Henry believes me. She has some nerve trying to get into my business… Especially trying to get you involved in this!" Blake shook his head and shoved his hands in his pockets. He turned to face Chloe with his face full with concern.

"I can't help but ask myself Chloe. Why Humphrey? What does he have on you?" Chloe stomped her feet in place and turned to walk back into her room.

"Nothing Blake. Get to school, I'll catch up with you later." She yelled shortly after. Blake shook his head, picked up his backpack and headed for the elevator. Chloe went back to her room and grabbed her phone. "I'll come over in 10. –C.P." She closed her phone shut, grabbed her purse, and headed for the elevator.

"Where's Cal?" Noelle asked fishing around her purse searching for her phone. Nicole shrugged her shoulders and popped a blueberry in her mouth. Callie never took part in Nicole's early morning walk before school. Nicole's daily morning walk is meant to monitor Constance and St. Jude's students and make sure they are obeying her orders and Henry's order. Even though Henry doesn't view himself as King, every boy at St. Jude's follow him like he is. Since Henry is a senior, Heath would be the next person to fill his shoes right next to Nicole, making them most cutest power couple ever. Nicole smiled to herself and continued to walk towards the Met Steps. Although it was crucial for every minion to take part into this act, Callie was Nicole's best friend; she'd make exceptions.

"Probably still sleeping. You know she's always late on meeting us at the Met Steps." Nicole turned around and stared at her new minion, Melissa Newton. She snapped her finger to get her attention and turned around once again. "Melissa, I hope you got my fruit parfait." Melissa's eyes opened wide and she immediately searched her purse and gently pulled out the yogurt. She hastened her pace up to Nicole's level and handed it to her. Nicole flashed an approving smile and took the yogurt from her.

"Not so bad Melissa." She replied with Noelle nodding, agreeing with Nicole.

"I'd say she's the first minion to actually know what she's doing." She laughed putting her Louis Vouitton shades on. The three walked towards the Met Steps placing themselves higher than everyone else. Nicole eyed some of the Constance girls and walked towards them.

"I suggest you all move before you regret it." She demanded. All of the girls sat up straight, collected their belongings, and hurried themselves to the lower section of the Met Steps. Nicole stared at them until they were seated, flipped her hair, and sat her self down. "If Constance has one major rule, it is that no one, and I meanno one, sits higher than me on these steps. The highest position, in which my mother also held in her high school years, is the pinnacle of hierarchy." She said opening her fruit parfait. Melissa nodded in understanding.

"Her mother is also Blair Waldorf and her father is Chuck Bass. Who's more fitted to be Constance's Queen?" Noelle added texting on her phone. Nicole smiled at the statement and continued to eat her yogurt until she heard a beep coming from her phone. She placed her yogurt next to her Michael Kors bag and pulled out her phone."Sister caught me. I'll try and pay you back another way. Sorry. –B.P."Read the text message. Nicole rolled her eyes and threw her phone back in her bag.

"What's up Nicki? You're doing that little face again." Nicole's eyebrows burrowed and she pulled out her water bottle taking a sip from it. She pulled out her phone once again and shoved the message in front of Noelle's face. Nicole hated when she didn't get what she wanted and finding the dirt on Chloe is exactly what she needed to take her down.

"I'm trying to find out what Chloe is hiding. Remember how I got Blake into that full club that one-week during the summer? To find out what his sister is hiding was how he was going to repay me. But not anymore cause that stupid whore won't budge." Nicole hissed. Noelle grabbed the phone from her hand and reread the conversation. She arched her eyebrow then handed it back to Nicole.

"How do you know that Blake isn't just bullshitting you? He's a Pearson, their family bonds is just as strong as your family's." Noelle said taking a sip out of her latte. She placed her latte down next to her and signaled Melissa to go get napkins from the nearby street food station. Nicole shook her head slowly in disagreement. She smiled a little and lowered her eyes.

"Trust me. Blake isn't bullshitting me. Little Pearson always had interest in me. So I'm just going to use him for my benefit." She laughed at the thought while Noelle wiggled her eyebrows. Callie and Noelle are the only ones who know

"Ooh, look at you." Noelle giggled. "Wouldn't your king get jealous?" She added. Nicole flipped her hair and finished her yogurt. Melissa came back handing the two of them napkins and settling her self down two steps lower than Nicole.

"Ferro isn't my king, N. He's just escorting me to the ball this weekend." Nicole looked down at Noelle who was still giggling. Nicole tried to hide her smile and instead coughed a little and went back to eating her yogurt. Heath and Henry sighted Nicole and Noelle and walked towards them. Nicole eyed Heath and imagined him in a Vera Wang sleek black tux with that bright smile of his. She sighed at the thought. This weekend at Cotillion was her perfect moment to be noticed by all the important socialites in Manhattan, and having Heath Ferro as her escort was a bonus to her future title.

"Talking about me ladies?" Heath winked at Nicole and sat between her and Noelle hanging his arms across their shoulders. Henry nodded at his sister and Noelle and eyed the new minion curiously.

"Really Nicole? Got yourself another slave?" He sneered watching Nicole push Heath off. She rolled her eyes and took a sip out of her water bottle. Henry chuckled and held a hand out for Melissa.

"Names Henry. And you are?" He asked curiously. Melissa looked at his hand then at his perfectly shaped face and shook his hand. "Melissa." She replied nervously. Nicole scowled at the gesture and turned to face Heath who was trying to tickle her sides to get her attention. She mouthed the word "stop" which only made Heath tickle her more.

"Nice to meet you Melissa. If you have any common sense, I advise you to not be one of Nicole's "minions"." He laughed. "You don't want to roll these girls." Heath laughed and pinched Nicole's cheek who was now flushed with embarrassment. Noelle glared at Henry who turned around throwing up a good-bye wave. She could tell Henry was avoiding her ever since he knew that he was escorting her at Cotillion.

"That's enough. Melissa do not listen to my brother. If there's anyone to avoid here, it's him." Nicole said snapping at Melissa for her attention, who was still gazing at Henry.

"Well, that's my cue. Later babe." Heath got up, winked at Nicole, then walked towards Henry. Callie rushed to the scene with her hair all wet and latte almost spilling everywhere.

"I'm here! Sorry I'm so late. My alarm didn't go off!" She said gasping for air. Nicole looked at her hair in disgust and signaled her to sit with them. Noelle picked up a strand of her hair and laughed.

"What? I prefer air-dry hair. It brings out my beach waves." Callie chuckled flipping her hair. Nicole still looked at her disgusted and placed her hand on Melissa's shoulder.

"Cal. This is Melissa. Our newest edition to our group." Melissa smiled at Callie and held her hand out.

"I'm Melissa. Nice to meet you Callie." Callie smiled back at her and shook her hand. Nicole began to smile at the two until Noelle tapped her hand and nodded towards Chloe who was walking towards them. Chloe wasn't going to let some Upper Elite take advantage of her and her family and try to ruin her love life. Even if it meant going head to head with her man's sister.

"Nicole right?" Chloe said arching her eyebrow, crossing her arms across her chest. Nicole lowered her eyes, chuckled then stared right back at Chloe.

"What do you want?" She asked looking at Chloe up and down. She wrinkled her nose at her scent for it seemed like it was a Gucci collection. Chloe leaned in closer and looked at Nicole straight in the eyes.

"I know what you're doing. I suggest you back off. You may be Queen B and a Bass but you're messing with the wrong person." Nicole flashed a menacing look at Chloe and stood up. She didn't like to be challenged by anyone and never has. People in New York knew who she was and what she was capable of. If they were smart enough they wouldn't try to go against Nicole.

"I don't like threats. By any means of messing with a wrong person, you crossed that line the moment you came back into this city." She snapped back. Noelle pulled her hand trying to drag her down into the steps. Causing a scene out in public isn't the best way a Queen should portray herself. Callie stood up and went between the two. She shot Chloe a mean look then turned to Nicole.

"Nicki. Not here. Stay cool." Nicole rolled her eyes and shoved Callie to the side. She stepped a little closer to Chloe and pulled out her white aviators Ray Bans which fit perfectly on her perfect little nose.

"You're lucky my brother fancies you. I don't like to fight with people that are irrelevant, so here's a warning. I will find out what your secret is little Chloe. And when I do, I better not see your face around Manhattan anymore." She gave a little smile at Chloe, then signaled her girls to come with her. Chloe turned around and gawked at what Nicole just said. Blake was right, she isn't just a snotty Upper East Sider. She clearly lived up to her name. The Bass's aren't bluffing about losing.

"I'm not scared of you Nicole." She yelled after her. Nicole threw up a waving hand and replied, "Shut up. You're boring." Nicole's minions began to giggled and waved good-bye at Chloe. Chloe rolled her eyes and clenched her fists. She walked down towards the street and signaled for a cab.

Little heel clicks were scurrying everywhere in the Humphrey's penthouse. Johnathan stood up straight from his bed and sighed. He ran his hand through his hair and checked his phone. "Johnathan? Are you home?" A voice called out.

"Here mother. Guess I fell asleep again." He walked out into the hallway yawning. Serena Van Der Woodsen smiled and gave her son a welcoming hug. John smiled and hugged her back. After traveling various parts of the world he missed his sweet home in Manhattan and seeing his mother's bright welcoming smile.

"It's good to have you back home. We've missed you so much especially Callie." Serena smiled placing her palm on John's cheek. She walked towards her suitcase and placed them on top of the counter.

"Dad's not with you?" John asked opening the fridge and getting an empty glass from the cabinets. Serena sat down at the table and pulled out her phone. With Cotillion happening in a couple of days her phone was blowing up from every Upper Elite about the escorts and lists.

"Oh no, he'd had to stay for a couple of more days for business purposes. I just couldn't wait to see you so I took the next flight home when Cal called." She replied looking through her phone. "I hope you're going to escort someone at the Cotillion this weekend. Callie has her rehearsal tomorrow night, you should come." She said smiling. "I am in charge of it, I can easily add you to the list." John hesitated but nodded his head in agreement.

"Sure mom." Serena smiled then looked at the clock. She gasped and quickly got up grabbing her purse.

"Blair is going to freak out, I have to go sweetie, I'll call you later!" She kissed John on the cheek and headed for the elevator.

John sighed and sat himself on the couch and turned the tv on. He only agreed to appear at the Cotillion so he could Chloe. He needed to know why she left him all of a sudden. What if she left because he was being too clingy? Or too 'love-dovey'. He shook his head at the thought. He shouldn't freak himself out. Chloe should have an understanding reason why she left. Maybe her brother was sick? The various reasons on why Chloe left kept running through John's mind.

"John?" A voice called out. John turned his head and looked towards the foyer. Chloe walked in looking nervous. John abruptly got up and fixed his hair.

"Chloe. Hey." He said walking towards her. Chloe gave him a little hug and sat herself down on the couch. John sat next to her staring at her.

"Look…" Chloe said nervously. "Seeing you at the dinner party really caught me off guard. I didn't know how to react…" John looked down and shook his head.

"Why'd you leave me?" He asked his expression sad at the thought. "You just left. It really hurt me. And it still does." He confessed. Chloe took his hand and sighed. She didn't want to break the truth to him. Not now, or ever.

"Do you love me?" John asked grabbing her hand searching her face for an answer. Chloe turned the other way, tears forming in her eyes.

"I did. I loved you so much. But I like someone else now John… I left because I needed my space… I was so young back then. You wouldn't understand. No one would!" She said trying to hold back the tears. John placed his palm on her cheek. He took a deep breath and got up walking towards the city view windows. Maybe she just didn't like him as much as he believed.

"I don't believe you. You're hiding something…" John looked out into the city and shook his head. Chloe ran up to him and grabbed his arm. She began to cry but still looked at him hard in the eyes. The truth would be too much for him to handle, and he couldn't burden his life with this.

"No trust me. I love you. I'm just not in love with you John. Please just understand. I just had to leave for my own reasons." John looked at her hard and picked up his hand to wipe Chloe's tears. Chloe snipped and placed her hand on top of his.

"I like Henry Bass. If you love me, you'd let me go. I will always love you. But I will never fall back in love with you John." John lowered his eyes his body tensing. Chloe walked away quickly towards the elevator.

"Good-bye John." She said before entering the elevator. Chloe planned on keeping this secret for herself and no one else to find out. If anyone found out, it would be the end to her and the Pearson name. John turned and stared back into the city. He walked over to the bar and poured himself a drink. He downed the drink and slammed the glass onto the counter. He ran his hands through his hair and placed his head down. Serena peered around the corner looking at her distressed son. She pulled out her phone and dialed for Blair. "Hey Blair. Sorry I'm late. I was on my way until I forgot the ball list. I think John may in trouble."

"Excited about my party this weekend Bass?" Heath said sitting next to Henry at one of the student lounge tables. Henry nodded at him taking a flask out of his blazer. He took a swig and handed it to Heath. Heath grabbed it laughing and took a drink himself.

"Drinking on school grounds I see." Nicole sat herself next to them. Her posse followed her obediently next to Henry's lacrosse boys. Callie smiled flirtatiously at one of the boys while Noelle tried to primp her self to make Henry notice her. She always found Henry as a romantic interest and was willing to do anything for him to even speak to her.

"I prefer vodka but scotch will do. Especially for Mr. Stauffer's class." Heath groaned reaching over to play with a strand of Nicole's hair. Nicole shooed him away and turned to her brother. Henry stared off to space while taking another swig from his flask. The scenes from last night kept running through Henry's mind. He wanted to believe everything Chloe said was true, but he couldn't help but doubt everything.

"Your little girlfriend tried to go head on with me earlier today." Nicole said with a slight bitchy smile. Henry didn't respond and instead stood up trying to look for Chloe. Nicole opened her mouth at the ignorance and burrowed her brows. She stood up and ran after her brother. She grabbed his arm and he turned around glaring at her.

"I told you not to do anything." He took her hands of his arm and crossed his arms. Nicole looked at him and scoffed.

"Seriously, you defend her and not me? She tried to threaten me!" Nicole exclaimed putting emphasis on the word 'threaten'. She couldn't believe that her brother was going to believe that little tramp and not his own sister.

"Something tells me that you threatened her first. So in this case, I have no sympathy for you." Henry replied signaling his boys to walk over. "Got to go to class." Nicole rolled her eyes and began to walk towards her minions. Henry grabbed her arm. "Hey. We still have things to discuss." Nicole just stared at him and continued to walk away. She looked over at Heath who began to walk towards Henry shrugging his shoulders at her.

"Chloe is going to screw Henry over." Callie said as Nicole walked over to their table. Nicole ignored the comment and sat herself down pulling out her phone. Chloe walked out into the student lounge area and sat her self down to some of her new friends she made. Nicole looked over her shoulder and locked eyes with Chloe who just arched her eyebrow at her. Nicole turned around and looked down clenching her phone. "Plans changed. Chloe is going down. At the ball. Understood?" Nicole looked around at her posse who all nodded in agreement. They all looked at Chloe and got up to walk to their next class. Nicole's stare at Chloe lingered a little longer and she began to smile a little devious grin.

With Nicole in charge there's not much to say in this war. Looks like she finally found her match and it's not going to be a pretty one. Best of luck to both sides. Let's see who waves the white flag first at Cotillion… Get yourselves ready with your phones ladies and gentlemen. I want all the evidence I can get.

PenguinAttack wrote a review...

Hello, me again!

So you're losing a lot of that even mixture of description and dialogue you had earlier, the structure of this is really lacking, where you have sentences and actual structure all mixed up. For example;

Nicole walked into her bedroom towel wrapped in her hair and around her body. < "wrapped around her hair, and body" or something would make more sense.

As well as this, you need to separate your dialogue so it's not in the middle of a paragraph, that's incredibly confusing on the whole. I do like what you're doing and I want to see more of it, because I think you have a good style and an interesting take on everything that's going on in your story. I do question the age of your characters and why they're still using mobile phones and such? Like, I just feel like GossipGirl was set in the 2000s and if they had kids, etc, your story would be set in about 2020, so our technology should have advanced a bit by then, in terms of entertainment and technology. Definitely we'd have better than a PS3. ;)

Try reading this out aloud to see where the slightly awkward phrasing is, reading it out loud should make them really stick out - you'll stumble over the lines. You have something, as I keep saying, and I'd love to see you develop the narrative and your style.

If you have any questions, queries or just want to chat, hit me up. :)

- Penguin

rishabh wrote a review...

a grt work with a grt start folk! i like ur imaginativity, how u use characters, u are a perfect ringmaster, u know how to get work from the iotic characters! well, coming back to, ur stuff! it is good. ur work have emotions attached to it. i loved ur work while analysing some good areas:

{1] "Very funny sis. Father hid the bottle of scotch after the little incident at the dinner party." He rolled his eyes taking another drink from his glass. "And there not booty shorts. It's signature." Nicole arched her perfectly waxed and filled eyebrow. She walked over to a nearby cabinet and opened it moving a couple of books aside, revealing all of Henry's alcohol stash.

i will give u 10/10 for ur work!

Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief