16+ Language Violence Mature Content

FEAR [new chapter 4]

by gauravkundu32

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language, violence, and mature content.

This work contains strong language.
"Sir, the doctor is saying that Henry and Mary are missing from the hospital!" shouted one officer holding the phone receiver in his hand.
"What! What the heck. God damn, man. I don't believe this news. I'm not going to leave Henry and he'll be fired for sure." cried Robinson. His blood pressure rose and heart beats started beating faster. Robinson was a high and short tempered person. He could not tolerate the news that the officer just delivered.
"We're going to the mental hospital right now. Officer Rohan and Officer Raju, make my vehicle ready. Now go... why are you standing here?" Said Robinson when saw the officers faces with surprise.
While going to the hospital, Robinson murmured the same thing many times. "I'm going to kill Henry for his act. I'll not spare that vixen as well."
After a few minutes they reached the mental hospital. The guards saluted them and allowed them to go inside without any interrogation.
"Where is Dr. Mehta?" shouted Robinson at the receptionist.
"I'm afraid Sir; Dr. Mehta is not available today. Instead you can talk to Dr. Hanif if you please. He's near 'OUT PATIENT DEPARTMENT' at that side." replied back the lady at the reception counter.
"Bloody cool, doctors are resting at home and who gonna work in their place? Their father?" cried Robinson in a low voice.
They started moving towards the OPD and in a few minutes they reached there.
"Are you Dr. Hanif?"
"Yes, how may I assist you officer?" said Hanif politely.
"So Dr. Mehta is taking rest today at home eh?"
"Actually he's not feeling well and that's why he could not stay long here today, Sir"
"Whatever ! I came here for Philip's case. Has he committed his crime? Did he accept that he is the culprit behind those murders? Did he..."
Interrupting Robinson, Hanif said, "I am sorry Sir, but we're working on it. We're trying our best to make Philip speak the truth but for that we need some time"
"Time! Damn it! Time. No way. It's been a long time and you people are just asking for time. We have a lot of pressure on our mind. Orders from the headquarters never allow us to breathe properly and why would we give time to you. If you're incapable to handle this case then tell us. We know how to tackle these things in our own way" said Robinson raising his eyebrows.
"I am sorry but we really need some time and for your kind information we can handle this case." retorted Hanif.
Robinson became angry and caught Hanif's collar.
"Listen you bloody moron, you don't know what kind of person I am. I am very strict. Okay, I give you one more day. Do whatever you can do but I need Philip committing his crime by his mouth by tomorrow otherwise..."
Trying to push Robinson's hands from the collar Hanif said, "Otherwise what, eh are you threatening me?"
"Ha-ha understand whatever you want, ass hole ." Laughed Robinson and went back. His image disappeared in a few minutes.
Hanif sat on a chair and his forehead started sweating. "How can I do this in one day? These fool people don't understand our pressure. By tomorrow I will have to submit the reports to Dr. Mehta also. Ah whole night I have to work" thought Hanif and went for a short nap.
---------------------x---------------------------------------x----------------------
"Are you okay here Mary?" asked Henry.
"Yes I am fine and you?"
"Yeah. You're safe here as nobody knows about this place except some"
"Ah this pungent smell! What is smelling so much ?" Asked Mary trying to cover her nose with her handkerchief.
"Actually after postmortem dead bodies are kept in the next room attached to this room. May be this smell is coming from there only." said Henry looking here and there."
"Eww ... Don't you think people may come here in search of us ?"
" Nope they won't, nobody comes here, believe me"
"Okay fine, so may I know about you and your friendship with Philip ?" Asked Mary curiously.
"Ah yes we... were like best friends till that day . That day I chose my own track and he went on his own. "
" I don't get what you mean ? What track ? Can you explain please."
"I think you should not listen this but as you're insisting... We were like jackass friends from childhood. We were very naughty also but we both had thought to become an Officer and serve this country. The day came and we were selected but he backed out... He said he could not do this, I tried to convince him but he said he can't live without drinks and girls..."
" What are you saying, drinks , girls ? " ,said Mary with astonishment.
" Why!, didn't Philip tell about it before. Huh, how can he do this. I thought you already know about his habits like drinking heavily, flirting girls, bars etc. Anyway I could not give him company anymore and hence he broke our friendship... I doubt due to his drinking habit he killed those people."
"Oh no I can't listen to these things" started sobbing Mary.
Whenever Mary got too emotional she used to sob.
"But this is the truth. You've to accept it. Hey I wonder but I never saw your child ?"
Mary cried," We don't have any child. We could not establish any physical contact so..."
"May I know why, I mean I know it's your personal matter and I should not ..."
"No, It's okay. I asked Phil many times but he just changed the topic... I also did not force him" said Mary and paused.
" My doubt was true. I am sorry Ma'am but he's not satisfied with you and that's why he go outside to seduce other ladies in bars... This is ridiculous and that is why I am saying he might have murdered also."
Mary said nothing and fell down on the floor. She started crying and started hitting her head on the floor.
"Hey, hey, no, don't. Don't do this please and don't make noise." said Henry and came near. He sat down beside Mary and held Mary's head tightly. " You're so beautiful . How Philip was not satisfied with you I don't understand"
He started coming closer. Now their lips were few centimeters apart.
" No ! I can't do this. I won't cheat Philip on his back." said Mary and pushed Henry back with full force.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:36 am
Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello. Sorry for taking so long.

I have not read previous chapters.

Firstly, your dialogue punctuation is incorrect. This has already been pointed out, but some examples for you:

"What! What the heck. God damn, man. I don't believe this news. I'm not going to leave Henry and he'll be fired for sure." cried Robinson.

That period after "sure" should be a comma.

That "said" should be in lowercase.

this article goes into more detail on dialogue punctuation. I'd suggest you read it, because you are making a large myriad of errors.

Secondly, your dialogue itself sounds very stilted and infodumpy. By that I mean it doesn't actually sound like a person speaking. People do not speak to simply provide information; instead, they speak to get their point across. It's a subtle difference, but basically it boils down to people don't speak without their own agendas. You have to figure out what that person wants in any given conversation.

Also, people don't speak with proper grammar or in full sentences. They speak in fragments, in run-ons, and the information within dialogue can be a complete and utter mess. Listen to the meandering conversations of people around you to see what I mean.

This article goes into more information.

And thirdly. The actual way you're showing events.

As confetti pointed out under me, you're creating a very fast pace. This is done a few ways:

1- You're telling us about people instead of showing us.

2- You've got a very distant narrator.

3- You're not taking the time to build up a connection between reader and character.

Let's take those one at a time.

"Telling" is a line like: "Robinson was a high and short tempered person. He could not tolerate the news that the officer just delivered."

You're giving us information about the character without really showing us that he's got a short tempered. Instead of telling us, you should instead have him snap at everything. Show us how angry he is. Give us his body language. Body language always trumps when trying to describe a character's emotions. Showing us a flushed face, a rigid neck, hands tightly fisted at the person's sides. That is how you show emotions.

When I talk about a distant narrator, I mean that I don't feel like I'm seeing the world from any one point of view. Sticking to one person to tell the story through, and colouring everything in the prose based on how they see the world, makes for a much stronger character and connection.

You do this by asking yourself, "How would they see the events happening?"

This helps with the third point I mentioned, which involves building a connection with the character. By showing us how any given character sees the events unfolding, we feel a connection to the person telling the story. It shows us their emotions, making the story a person's story instead of a collection of events.

The feeling it's a collection of events isn't helped by how you're going from one event to another at a very fast pace. As outlined here, slowing down and showing us character interactions is important. It takes a lot of effort to write a good story with lots of character interactions but it is worth it.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey

confetti wrote a review...

You requested a review for just this chapter, but I went ahead and read the previous three chapters as well. I have a couple of points on the other chapters that I'll put here along with the chapter four review.

Chapter One:
I noticed that your dialogue in this chapter was probably the least grammatically correct out of all four of the chapters. As I kept reading, you seemed to be improving, but I highly suggest going back and fixing the dialogue in the first chapter. Inconsistent dialogue (and grammatically incorrect dialogue especially) makes it really difficult to follow a story.

You had also been putting spaces between a lot of punctuation in chapter one. I have no idea why, but you should consider going back to fix that, too. As well as being aware of the tense you're using. You're writing this story in past-tense, so be sure that you aren't switching between the tenses because I noticed that you did that a couple times in the first chapter.

Chapter Two:
You changed the character's name partway through the story. She went from being named Maria to being named Mary with any sort of explanation whatsoever. Your story moves at an incredibly quick pace and it's already hard enough to follow what's happening in the plot without you randomly changing a character's name for no apparent reason. This brings me to another point - consistency. You must be consistent with your writing (dialogue, characters, word choice) as it will give it a nice flow and make it much easier for the reader to get into.

I also noticed that you have a habit of writing in new characters without introducing them or explaining them to the reader. You did this with Phillip in this chapter, and I wasn't aware how he was connected to Mary until much too late in the chapter. Make it a habit of introducing characters, or at least giving some sort of indication of who they are earlier on. It creates less confusion for the reader.

Chapter Three:
Neat chapter. I liked the idea behind the near-death experience.

The 'God' does have a habit of using the word "thee" much too often and it does start to get annoying.

Chapter Four:
The only specific point I have for this chapter is on the lack of description. This is a chapter that's built mostly with dialogue, and while that's never an issue, you have to be sure that you're adding enough hints of description here and there that it's easy for the reader to imagine what's happening.

OVERALL:
Overall, I think you've created too fast of a pace. It's hard to follow along because the story is moving so quickly and without much description to slow it down. Consider going back and expanding on what you have here so that the story has a more 'full' feeling.

Your characters speak in a very formal matter, which isn't awful, but it's verging on being unrealistic. Watch out for that.

And my biggest gripe is probably the grammar. You should consider going back and giving this entire story a very detailed proofread.

I hope this review was helpful! Ciao

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:46 am

Here to review!

I feel like some of your dialogue is a bit awkward. And man, there's a lot of dialogue!! Very ambitious.
"What! What the heck. God damn, man. I don't believe this news. I'm not going to leave Henry and he'll be fired for sure." "
I do not think anyone would ever say 'I dont believe this news'. It's almost like some of the dialogue should be internal, not spoken but through thoughts.

A few lines down you write: ""I'm afraid Sir; Dr. Mehta is not available today. Instead you can talk to Dr. Hanif if you please. He's near OUT PATIENT DEPARTMENT at that side." replied the person at the reception counter." I think it'd be better if you went ahead and identified the 'person' as female or male, because it seems strange to not know the gender of the person talking at that point, and I think it actually distracts the reader not to know. Also put quotes around 'OUT PATIENT DEPARTMENT' or don't put it all in caps, because it makes it seem like the 'person' is randomly yelling that in the middle of their sentence.

In this sentence: "Whenever Mary got to emotional she used to sob." 'to' should be 'too'.

Hmm, I've gotta say I think you need to read through the dialogue out loud, because I think there might still be some spots that make sense, but are a little strangely worded, although I also understand that this piece sort of makes use of different sorts of dialect I guess for the different characters.

This part needs work: "This is shameless and that is why I am saying he might have murdered also."
Mary said nothing and fell down on the floor. She started crying and started hitting her head against the wall."

'shameless' probablly should be 'shameful' and then that secound part... um what?! How can someone fall on the ground And hit their head on the wall. I mean it seems more likely that she'd be hitting her head on the ground at that point, it's also something I can't really even imagine someone doing. But I guess she was under a lot of shock.

You do a good job keeping the action up in this chapter. The dialogue, although a mite strange, is engaging, and keeps the reader reading. Great job! And good luck with the next chapters! :)

Your friend and reviewer,
alliyah

Thanks a lot.

rishabh wrote a review...

this peice of work is nyc.......i appreciate ur writing. ur work is good. i hope i will read ur work further.
["We're going to the mental hospital right now. Officer Rohan and Officer Raju, make my vehicle ready. Now go... why are you standing here?" Said Robinson when saw the officers faces with surprise.]
in this stuff 'said' should be small.

over all it is good, but work more in some areas. re-read ur draft.

Thanks man:)

KnightZero wrote a review...

Review time! Kind of not the best reviewer but you know...it's something.

Interesting plot, you drew the characters nicely and showed somewhat of an efficent amount of emotion into the earlier scene. Plus, that implying that Henry really loves Mary at the ending..I kind of liked it >.<
Nevertheless, there are grammatical errors/puncuation errors in it.

I believe when Mary says: I didn't know what you mean
I feel as though that needs to be rephrased or replace 'didn't' with 'don't'

Something to keep ot mind, there is much '...' or trailing off. If the inital odea or dialoge transitions into a different idea, it is best to use '—'

Whenever a character says: Hey
Add a comma afterwards: Hey,

"How Philip was not satisfied with you I don't understand."
Although I see some sense in that sentence the fluency in it isn't really the vest and ruins the impact and meaning of Henry's words.

Also; When Henry says: Hey hey no don't
Add commas; Hey, hey, no, don't OR it is best to rephrase this one. Something like: It's not your fault—stop! Or Don't do this to yourself!

Sayanora,
KnightZero

That is really helpful.Thanks.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:47 am
ela00051u says...

This is very interesting.So far I havent read the previouse chapter.I found myself wanting to read it till the very end.I really like this and can't wait to read the previous chapters.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx