z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Sun and Shadow: Dakota's story chapter-1 beginning

by Violetbutterfly2016


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

The sun rose up in the east andmorning was here.

I was supposed to go meet my mother: the one who left me when I was five. Until now I thought how could she? But now she had a chance to tell me how she could leave me and give me her reason. Maybe one day she could been my mother, but right now all I knew was that she wasn't right now.

I got up, brushed my hair and teeth. Too nervous to eat breakfast I went to my beat up car. God I had to get the dam thing fixed or just a new one.I droveup to the address she sent me in a letter a week ago.

It had said: To my daughter,

I am your mother and I know you must have a million questions for me so come meet me at 224 California street at beach cafe at 10 a.m. for coffee. I will explain then.

When I got the letter my aunt was with me and she was astonished that her sister had written to me because she had acted like she'd dropped off the face off the planet. What my aunt had told me about her sister, wasthatmy mom had dropped me off andtold her,

“I need you to watch her for awhile.” My aunt just took me in. When ever I asked she told me that and nothing else. I had dreamed of my mother every since, andhad asked about my dad but my aunt didn’t know anything. So that’s all I knew about my parents: mom left, dad non-existent. That waswhy I am gong to see the women who had said, “ I need you to watch her awhile”. I bet my aunt didn’t know watch her for a while meant 12 years.

I sat in my car forfive minutes to consider whether to leave or to go inside. I chose the latter. I got out of the car, checked the address for the billionth time and walked in. Then it dawned on me I have no clue what she looked like. I couldn’t remember what she looked like, only vague fragments like the lighting in our old house or the smell of her. A summer breeze and something else never could figure it out. My aunt never showed me any pictures or anything. The only thing I had from her was a necklace of a feather on fire, and on the back of the necklace had a beautiful inscription Dakota. I wore the damn thing everywhere a constant reminder that she had left me, but it was my only connection to her, and that was why I wore it.

I looked down at the necklace hoping it would show me something a sign, anything. But it didn’t. But just as I was turning to leave a woman walked in and stared strait at me and the first thing I noticed was a feather in front of a round ball maybe, the sun, on her neck. She opened her mouth and said “I didn’t think you would come, I thought my sister would oftold you not to, but maybe I was wrong.”

I gave her a once over, she had chestnut hair like mine, she was tall about 5.8, and her eyes were blue as the clear ocean and her pail skin compared to my tanned beach look was the only difference I could see. She was so beautiful, she looked like she was in her 30's.

She looked at me too; I couldn’t read her expression.

“ So you want to talk or what?” I told her.

She looked at me and said, “that’s not a nice way to talk to your mother, but I guess I don’t get the right.”

“No you don’t.”

“Ok do you want to sit down and I order us something, what would you like?” she said in a flat tone.

“Could you get me an iced tea, with two sugars.”

She turned around and got in line. And then I looked for a table in the back of the room. The sun shined through the mono glass window, and you could see the ocean from here the waves rolling back and forth. It was quiet beautiful. But how could I think about the view when my mother wanted to talk to me after ditching me for 12 years. What the hell was she here for, this better by good after 12 years of nothing. My mom took her seat a cross from me. And stirring her iced tea said “So you probably want to know why I came back and wrote to you so I will start there.”

“Well first, I wrote to you because I need help.”

What the? “Why my help, because A: I don’t know you B: I don’t think you know me, actually you don’t know me and C: why the hell would I help the women who dumped meon her sister to deal with.”

She looked at me, just looked at me.“What, you don’t think I am right? Because for sure in hell I am right.”

“After you hear what I have to say you will change your mind.”

“Fine this better be mind blowing.”

“Ok first lets finish our drinks.”

“What the? What about the mind changing news?!”

“Coming soon promise”

God, this women is crazy, but apparently she’s my mother. First coming out of the blue after 12 fucking years, she suspected me to help her, the one who left me. She thinks she can just do this; well she is so wrong, I don’t even now her. The only person I know and trust is the one my own mother dumped me with. How did my mother think I would help her? She didn’t help me when I broke my leg, when I got my period, when I had my first break up from a serious relationship. She left me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 715
Reviews: 5

Donate
Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:50 pm
Girlwriting951 wrote a review...



Hi violet butterfly!! I just joined to but I don't have the points to write any thing yet but that's why I'm reviewing!! I really love your story because its relatable you really know how to put someone else into a new perspective a little more word variety would be nice but other than that I really enjoyed it you should keep writing because you clearly have a gift






Thank you!! so much. I really appreciate. Thank you so much.



User avatar
1087 Reviews


Points: 44360
Reviews: 1087

Donate
Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:50 pm
Sins wrote a review...



Hey there, violetbutterfly, I was browsing the Green Room when I came across this so I thought I better come and review it :)

The sun rose up in the east, morning was here.

This sounds a bit awkward at the moment, I think you should put an and between the comma and morning.

I was supposed to go meet my mother the one who left me when I was five.

You need a colon [:] after mother

Maybe one day she could be my mother but right now all I know is she isn't.

The rest of this is written in past tense, but you have present tense here. It should be something like this, Maybe one day she could have been my mother, but all I knew was that she wasn't right now.

I got up brushed my hair and teeth.

Because you're listing here, you need commas. It should be [/i]I got up, brushed my hair and teeth.[/i]

To nervous to eat breakfast I went to my beat up car. God I got to get the dam thing fix or just a new one whatever. Driving up to the address she sent me in a letter a week ago.

You have some awkward phrasing and spelling mistakes here. It should look like this: Too nervous to eat breakfast I went to my beat up car. God, I had to get that damn thing fixed, or just a new one or whatever. I drove up to the address she sent me in a letter a week ago.

When I got the letter my aunt was with me and she was astonished that her sister had written me because she had act like she drop off the face off the plant. What my aunt had told me about my her sister...

Again, you've got some awkward phrasing and mistakes here. It should be When I got the letter my aunt was with me and she was astonished that her sister had written to me because she had acted like she'd dropped off the face of the planet. What my aunt had told me about my sister her sister...

I have dreamed of my mother every-since. Had asked about my dad but my aunt didn’t know anything. So that’s all I know about my parents mom left, dad non-existent. This why I am gong to see the women who had said, “ I need you to watch her awhile”.

This should be I had dreamed of my mother ever since, and had asked about my dad but my aunt didn't know anything. So that's all I knew about my parents: my mom left, and dad non-existent. That was why I was going to see the woman who had said, "I need you to watch her for a while."

I sat in my car for 5 minutes consider whether to leave or to do go inside. I chose the latter. Got out of the car checked the address for the billionth time and walked in. Then it dawned on my I have no clue what she looked like. I couldn’t remember what she looked like only vague fragments like the lighting in our old house or the smell of her.

I sat in my car for five minutes to consider whether to leave or to go inside. I chose the latter. I got out of ht ecar, checked the address for the billionth time, and walked in. Then it dawned on me that I had no clue what she looked like. I couldn't remember what she looked like, only vague fragments like the lighting in our old house or the smell of her.

I wore the dam thing everywhere a constant reminder that she had left me. But it was my only connection to her and that’s why I wore it.

I wore the damn thing everywhere as a constant reminder that she had left me, but it was my only connection to her, and that was why I wore it.

But just as I was turning to leave. A woman walked in and stared strait at me and the first thing I noticed was a feather in front of a round ball maybe the sun on her neck. She opened her mouth and said “I didn’t think you would come, I thought my sister would told you not to, but maybe I was wrong.”

But just as I was turning to leave a woman walked in and started straight at me, and the first thing I noticed was a feather in front of a round ball, maybe the sun, on her neck.

I gave her a once over, she had chestnut hair like mine, she was tall about 5.8, and her eyes were blue as blue the clear ocean and her pail skin compared to my tanned beach look was the only difference I could see. She was so beautiful at least, was in her early 30’s.

[i]I gave her a once over. She had chestnut hair like mine, she was about 5.8 feet tall, and her eyes were blue: as blue as the clear ocean. Her pale skin compared to my tanned beach look was the only difference I could see. She was so beautiful at least, and was in her early 30's.


She looked at me and said, “That’s not a nice way to talk to your mother...

She looked at me and said, "that's not a nice way to talk to your mother..."

My mom took her seat a cross from me. And stirring her iced tea said “So you probably want to know why I came back and wrote you so I will start there.”

[i]My mom took her seat across from me, and stirring her iced tea, said, "so you probably want to know why I came back and wrote to you, so I will start there."


“Well first, I wrote you because I need help.”

"Well first, I wrote to you because I need help."

What the, “Why my help, because A. I don’t know you B. I don’t think you know me, actually you don’t know me C. why the hell would I help the women who dumped with her sister.”

What the? "Why my help because A: I don't know you, B: I don't think you know me, actually you don't know me, and C: why the hell would I help the woman who dumped me with her sister?"

She looked at me, just looked at “What you don’t think I am right? Because for sure in hell I am right.”

She looked at me, just looked at me. "What, you don't think I am right? Because for sure in hell, I am right." Also, is this part of your main character's/narrator's dialogue? Because if it is, then it needs to be in the same paragraph as the dialogue above.

“What the, What about the mind changing news.”

What the? What about the mind changing news?"

God, this women is crazy but apparently she’s my mother. First coming out of the blue after 12 fucking years, she suspects me to help her, the one who left me. She thinks she can just do this; well she is so wrong I don’t even now her. The only person I know and trust is the one my own mother dumped me with. How does my mother think I will help her?

God, this woman was crazy, but apparently she was my mother. First coming out of the blue after 12 fucking years, she suspected me to help her, the one who left me. She thought she could do this; well she was so wrong, I didn't even know her. The only person I knew and trusted was the one my own mother dumped me with. How did my mother think I would help her?

Overall


Okay so overall, I think this story has a lot of potential. It's an interesting concept and idea, and I am a big fan of novels that involve missing parents, orphans, family issues e.t.c. so this is definitely my kind of thing. It is a bit of an overused idea (the whole parent ditching child only to return years later) so be careful with that, but so long as you execute it well and make it original in your own way, it's an idea that can work brilliantly. This is quite a short chapter so I might not have an awful lot to say about it, but I should hopefully be able to give you some critiques to help improve your work.

So the first thing I want to mention is that right now, your main character is a bit of a blank slate. I can't say I really know anything about her. I know you said you like to give details slowly, but you've got to start somewhere! I mean, thus far, all we know is that her mum ditched her and she was brought up by her auntie. I'm not saying you have to tell us her hair colour, eye colour, height, weight, hairstyle, fashion sense, her age, first words, first boyfriend's name, best friend's name, and shoe size... I'm just saying that I think you should give us some more background details on your narrator, even just her name would be nice. Otherwise, you'll struggle to get your readers attached to your narrator.

Something else that bothered me a bit whilst reading this was that your narrator's internal voice/narrative voice sounded quite a lot different to he dialogue. In her narrative, she sounds a bit more understanding, descriptive, and calmer, but all her dialogue is a little rude and blunt. There's nothing wrong with that, I mean, she's obviously going to be a bit pissed at her mother for what she's done in the past. It's just that the problem is her internal thought doesn't really match up to that. She does seem annoyed and what not in her internal voice, but her dialogue seems like a rather massive jump from that because it's quite a lot more snappy, rude, and irritated. I don't know if that makes much sense, but do you sort of see what I'm trying to say?

On a similar note, I find it strange how your narrator is so... comfortable with her mother. By that, I mean that she finds it oddly easy to be openly angry at her and she finds it oddly easy to speak to her. Maybe this is just me, but if I was her, while I may be angry with my mother I wouldn't be able to speak to her so openly, especially about my emotions. I mean she's literally a stranger, and whether that stranger is your mother or not, she is still a stranger and the majority of people would hold back and be hesitant when it comes to being open. Just something to think about, I guess.

The main thing I noticed throughout your piece though was your grammar, spelling, and the general technical side of your writing. You did make several mistakes, but don't stress too much because they are mistakes that can easily be fixed and learned. I quoted and pointed out as many mistakes as I could in this, and suggested ways to fix them. If you want to improve your grammar and punctuation knowledge, I'd suggest for you to maybe find some articles online. I know there are loads available and so if you give them a read, I'm sure they can help you fix and improve your current grammar and punctuation.

That's pretty much it for critiques, but I do have some more minor nit-picks to mention before I leave! Firstly, the mother's age is bothering me a little. You said she's in her early thirties, which makes her 35 or younger. Now obviously due to the lack of background knowledge on your main character, she could be 10 but then she could be 50 for all I know! (obviously she isn't 50, but you get the idea) If she is quite young then the mother's age is fine, but if she's 15 or over then the mother would have had to be 20 at the oldest when she had your narrator. There's nothing wrong with having a baby at 18 or something, but it is rare and it did catch my attention a little.

The other thing I want to briefly mention is your narrator's word choice when referring to her mother leaving her with her aunty. You often say something like she dumped me on my aunty. While I know you use the word dumped to make the mother's actions sound cruel, but I can't help feeling it makes the aunty's worth seem pretty bad. It's kind of like, "ergh, you dumped me with her!" Maybe to stop that, you could mention somewhere how much your narrator appreciates her aunty and what she's done for her?

And I think that's it! If you have any questions or comments regarding this review, just let me know and I'll try my best to help you out with whatever :)

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins






Thank you for all the grammar and spelling corrections, I knew I needs to go over and I thank you for cathing my mistakes. I really do appreciate it. Thank you!!!



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144125
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:36 am
alliyah wrote a review...



Hi Violet, welcome to Young Writers Society, and congratulations on your first chapter!! :)

I caught a lot of little spelling mistakes so you might want to go through it again with a fined tooth comb, to get out the ones you missed when writing it. For example in the fourth paragraph you wrote 'plant' instead of planet. And in this sentence :"This why I am gong to see the women who had said, “ I need you to watch her awhile”. " you missed a few letters/words.
But, I think you can get the rest of those spelling mistakes if you just take another look, so I won't point any more out, because it can get annoying. :)

My other suggestion, is to take out the italics that aren't inner thoughts. And since a lot of it is in inner thoughts, maybe you don't even need the italics in those cases.

So as far content, I thought this was a very interesting story, I'd like some more background on the main character like personality, and physical description,or even her age, but since it's only the first chapter I understand why you might want to hold a little of that back still. I think the dialogue between the mom and her daughter is also engaging and makes the reader excited to read the next chapter with the mystery problem you leave at the end.

I think when it's edited for spelling mistakes, it'll be more pollished as well. But, overall, great job!!! :)

Best wishes in future writing,
alliyah~~






Thanks so much!! I will fix the grammer and spelling. :) But on the content I like to give it slowly or more more everytime i write not all at once. But thank you so much for the review i really really appericated. :D




It's all a matter of perspective. Everyone is the hero of their own story, and the villain of another's.
— James