z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Fantasy Land: The Storm-Light Shards.

by Jonathan


Fantasy Land: The Storm-Light Shards.

As our small party walked forward I could feel that all of the other dwarfs were nervous, then I heard a sound like cockroaches and a saw a giant horde of green goblins jumping and running after us. We all yelled and ran for the far side of the cavern which was about half a mile away but it was a good thing that the dwarfs were pretty good runners. But the goblins were catching up with us. But when one of them got close a Dwarf would kill him and keep running but when they had about 40 feet to go one of the larger dwarfs tripped and was cote in the mass of goblins he yelled pulled out his axe and began to fight his way towards us but we could not stop we were so close to the entrance. We ran along then we found that we were inside a cave not close to as big as the other one but we did not have enough time to see because just then the other dwarf came flying and slammed the door behind himself.

We all ran to the door and put all our weight against the door then we felt another weight slammed into in on the other side, we looked the door and put three dwarfs to protect it.

We walked on with our weapons out except for me and Graf and another dwarf who had no weapons. Then we came to the back of the cavern we saw a strange light down a corridor that went straight sideways. We walked down it then suddenly all my memory of what had been put into my head by the book was gone and we were looking at what was making the light.

Only a small amount of my memory remained and I walked forward picked of a long green staff that radiated magic like no other thing I had ever touched. I just felt like it I turned and gave it to Graf who looked a little wide eyed then I noticed that none had been able to come with us like a force field they were frozen in place.

Then I looked back and saw that one dwarf had been able to come through to us but he had no weapons so I guessed that he was meant to have one of these things I knelt down again and picked up a hammer that also glowed with power and gave it to him. Then I picked up a sword a shield and a very large bow and a jewel that all glowed with power then I saw that there was a huge pile of other weapons that our friends could use if they liked.

When we had done with all of these magical gifts the other dwarfs came running forward to us and we told them what had happened but evidently they had thought that we had not moved an inch.

We went back the way we had gone and found the other three dwarfs were talking to each other in whispers. And when we got to them they said that the goblins had left so we opened the door and walked into the giant cavern and they had evidently left so we walked on to the other side of the cavern without having anything happening.

We walked and walked and asked the dwarf who had not been stopped by the magical boundary. “Who are you?” I queried.

“Degeragon.” He paused “I am the prince of the mountain.”

My eyes went wide “That why you could go past that boundary.” I said.

Then we heard a loud cry up ahead we ran forward and found the doors that used to be there blown to wreckage.

We ran on and saw dead dwarves lying all over the place some of the dwarves guessed what had happened already and began to yell and cry. Then we got to the throne room and saw a huge horde of goblins going up to the king and queen then all of a sudden the cavern began to shake. Me Graf and the rest of us including the dwarf prince came running down on the Goblins. A giant lightning bolt came out of knower and hit a wall of goblins and sent them running back into the dark but there was still a very large number left, the prince was smashing goblins out of the way with his hammer, I pulled out the shield and sword and felt great power go through me I came toward the enemy they seemed to be pushed back just by the shield and the sword cut right through a shield with no effort and so we fought and then all the goblins fled in fear.

We ran up to the queen and king, they had been killed but the king was still moving and he him “Kill him for me son.”

Who at that moment promised that he would kill the evil one. I was a little confused about “The evil one?” but after the king gave his final breath his son yelled in sadness “No!”

We went out of the deep dark cavern and although I thought that Ariadne had been killed along with all the dwarfs. She came swooping down and slammed into me knocking me over she clicked her tong in a loving way and nuzzled me.

I got back up and patted her head and looked up into the dark sky while the rest of our small company came out crying.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
304 Reviews


Points: 22897
Reviews: 304

Donate
Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:18 am
barefootrunner wrote a review...



Hi there! Back for the last time for now!

Okay, tips:

1.) The first person mode is very personal -- use it. When writing in first person, the reader can sense all the narrator's emotions, because the narrator seems to be talking to them, telling them his story. Unfortunately, you are not sending us a single emotion from Arad. Half the dwarf city is killed and he walks around, wondering casually what the evil one is, looking at people dying. That is not a very nice guy! He should be devastated by the wreckage, angry at the goblins and maybe even crying with frustration and hatred. What is going on with him that there is not a single twitch of the eyelid? You have to write this sort of thing in, so that readers can see -- your characters are emotional human beings with flesh and real blood. Isn't he glad when Ariadne flies to him? He should give a weak smile at least! Let him whisper something to her, as much to comfort himself as the griffin.

2.) Don't place modern objects into an ancient context. There were no refrigerators in those days. No force fields. In an old, fantasy-world story, don't compare objects to modern concepts or things. What that is telling me is that you are making your own voice the voice of the narrator. But Arad is not you, he's a guy with his own personality and imperfections, his own mannerisms, his own experiences. You can help distinguish yourself from your character by making a character profile as mentioned before. What would Arad know about refrigerators? He'd know about smoky fires, though, or the condensation of one's breath in the cold winter air. Rather use such concepts to explain another.

Okay, so that's the end of my reviews for you! Keep writing this piece! And don't take everything I say too seriously -- some of the stuff I recommend is pretty advanced. (I secretly don't follow my own rules and later, when I've finished the whole novel, I edit it for months, taking one problem at a time and teasing it out. Pretty exhausting stuff!)

Good job and always keep writing! The more you read and write, the better you get!

barefootrunner




jordin says...


Thanks. :)



User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 2320
Reviews: 40

Donate
Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:10 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy wrote a review...



As Giniara Pointed out, too many "but", especially at the beginning. I like the way you describe everything, but there is a lack of details sometimes: the character don't seem to have true feelings, except at the beginning where you describe them running. I like your narrating in that part, if we put away the repetition of "but".
Your vocabulary sounds good enough, but you'll need to replace this "but" by other things, such as more ",", "however", and a few others. judjing by the quality of your writting, you'll get used to it :)

You tried to redeem yourself about the feelings at the end when explaning that the main character felt power with Sword and shield, and I must say this small war part was good too, but maybe a bit too short and, again, with a small lack of details. I saw some grammatical mistakes too, such as forgetting capital letters, etc.
It's really too bad, because this piece of work is really about fantasy, and the way you write it fits perfectly with what you're trying to make us read. It sound like a detailed fairy tale, a bit funny to read (or t least I found it funny and enjoyable) and with some good moments.

Overall, I like your plot so far, and the action scenes were really funny: it sounds like you want to make the Goblins seem like a ridiculous army, and that's precisely what we want from them :) As for the dwarfs, they were the characters you put the most feelings to, and mostly fear. That was interesting as well.


Keep up the good work! This Fantasy Land story sounds cool, I like the concept and I'm sure you can go farther with it. Looking forward to the nest part!




jordin says...


Thank-you for the review!



Random avatar

Points: 533
Reviews: 3

Donate
Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:16 pm
View Likes
Ginara wrote a review...



I like the description and how you are using multiple senses to give us a good idea of the scene (i.e. hearing and seeing). Perhaps you could play off this strength and try adding something like feeling or smelling. What smells are around them in the cavern? Can they feel anything like scratchy material of uniforms or beads of sweat rolling down their faces because the cave is so hot?

Overall nice description, I think you have potential to be good at adding more in your future writing.

Also be careful of relying on spell check. It doesn’t catch typos such as “a saw a giant horde of green goblins”. I believe you meant “I” not “a”. Just give your work a quick read through before you post.

Also when you’re reading it, try reading it out loud to help catch some awkward wording.
See the following:
“but it was a good thing that the dwarves were pretty good runners. But the goblins were catching up with us.”

Too many but’s and but doesn’t work grammatically at the start of a sentence anyway.
Perhaps it could be something like:
We all yelled and ran for the far side of the cavern which was about half a mile away so it was a good thing dwarves are pretty good runners, but even still the goblins were catching up with us.

Also, watch for consistency with things like capitals. Sometimes you capitalize dwarf or goblin and other times you don’t. It’s best that you choose whether or not it is capitalized and stick with it.

A good way of fixing this if you find yourself doing it, because it happens, is to click the “find” button under editing in the home tab of Microsoft Word (if your using 2007-2010). Just type the word and it will find them all for you and you can easily make the changes so that they are all consistent.

Nice action scenes and plot ideas!





cron
“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell