Born To Fight

by templar7885

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for violence.

The relentless whine of 100’s of bees flying cuts through the air to his ears, the cold metal of a wreaked car solid against his back, the strong thud of his heart pumping adrenaline filled blood through his veins, plastic grip held as if his life depends on it, the sun shines down from its high perched throne. Up, running, feet pounding the hard ground as he charges his foes. “WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?”

The yell tears across his fantasy. The foes of reality are far more terrifying then the ones of his mind. The guilt crashes into him as he looks across the field to the half chopped pile of wood miniscule next to the daunting figure of his farther. Disappointment stares through his father’s eyes as Alex slowly forces himself across the field knowledge that the beating is unavoidable settling in the pit of his stomach. The irony of life is wasted on a 9 year old, Alex had the soldier beaten out of him as a boy only to have it beaten and drilled back into him as a man.

Now 10 years later he listens to the whine of metal flying through the air, cold steel of a wrecked Humvee solid against his back, the strong thud of his heart pumping adrenaline filled blood through his veins, plastic grip held as if his life depends on it, the sun shines down from its high perched throne. Alex lets a the sardonic smile play on his lips as squats behind a wrecked truck, the body of Torez still smouldering inches from his face, thinking back to his old life.

Screams echo through his ear piece “MOVE!” it cuts through the background chaos of noise and time. Up, running, feet pounding the hard ground as he charges his foes. “4 O’CLOCK” Alex moves his arms on auto pilot the rifle swings round the sights line up like the tumblers in a unlocked door he squeezes the trigger.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:52 am

The relentless whine of 100’s of bees flying cuts through the air to his ears, the cold metal of a wreaked car solid against his back, the strong thud of his heart pumping adrenaline filled blood through his veins, plastic grip held as if his life depends on it, the sun shines down from its high perched throne. Up, running, feet pounding the hard ground as he charges his foes. “WHAT THE DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?”

Well it appears we were just thrust right into the center of what looks to be a rather epic chase sequence here, we certainly have a pretty intense moment happening at the moment with this person charging across looking to be in the middle of some sort of fight. All in all, a pretty nice attention grabby start here.

Okay, not entirely sure what just happened there, is this person coming out of some sort of flashback to see his father in front of him about to punish him for something or is this the flashback to a time where he was beaten by his father unfairly in some way and the current situation reminds him of that somehow...the last couple of lines do seem to support the latter there but it is at the moment just a tad bit clear because of what that first line seems to be trying to say there.

Yup, so I'm assuming that is back to the present there in what looks to be a pretty impressive wreck there. Some serious stuff is definitely going down there, and it looks like the middle of what appears to be some sort of warzone. It definitely makes this a very interesting start here...but the scene as a whole so far hasn't been quite as clear as it should be here.

Well, we end of some sort of a cliffhanger, not the most effective one I've seen, but not exactly bad either there...its kind of a meh spot to end things on...cause it doesn't quite seem to mention danger as much. Still though, its a decent point to end the start to a story. Overall, this was an interesting piece despite it being just a tad confusing and...I'd say this is something I'd perhaps give a read here. :D

Andrea2676Marie wrote a review...

It's a good idea. Check your spelling though! The numbers you have written here, actually need to be spelled out. Such as "nine year old", "four o'clock", etc. So please make sure to fix that. However, I like the direction it is headed, and you've got suspense here. Also I think you should reread through this a few times to see where you can expand. I strongly encourage you to do so, and think you could make this into a really cool story.
Good job, and keep up the excellent work.
And as always, good luck to you and your writing.

maleficent wrote a review...

This is really good for a first piece of writing, I thought it was nicely written. I also liked the whole setting of the piece and feel that it could go somewhere great.

Just a few points, though:

terrifying then the ones

I'm not quite sure, but I'm fairly certain it's meant to be than.

The guilt crashes into him as he looks across the field to the half chopped pile of wood miniscule next to the daunting figure of his farther

I liked this sentence, however I think it could have used a little punctuation. It may have also flowed better if you tweaked it a little.
For example: The guilt crashes into him as he looks across the field, the half chopped pile of wood appeared miniscule beside the daunting figure of his father.

farther

father*

Alex lets a the smile play on his lips as squats behind a wrecked truck

Alex lets a smile play on his lips as he squats behind a wrecked truck.

it cuts through the background chaos of noise and time

This is just a personal thing, I would have written it like this: It cuts through the background filled with chaos.
I also didn't understand the relevance of the word 'time' there.

Alex moves his arms on auto pilot the rifle swings round the sights line up..

I wasn't sure what the auto pilot was referring too, so I came up with two different examples:
Alex moved his arms onto the auto pilot button and swung the rifle round, after the sight was lined up...
and
Alex moved his arms as if on auto pilot, the rifle swinging..
This sentence was just a little hard to make out for me.

Overall though, it was fun to read. I really liked all of it, but I always feel bad during a review but from experience, it really helps when people do! I'm looking forward to reading what comes next and I'll be sure to review that too!

Happy writing!

PS. Welcome to YWS, enjoy! :]

bigmacloves wrote a review...

Hey Mac here for a review,

This piece of literature is not half bad at all. I think you have a great idea flowing through your head. It also seems as if you are in the piece of literature. On the other hand there is a crap load of mistakes in this. I mean mistakes that frustrate the reader like crazy. Honestly if I was a publisher and you gave me this to read, I would pick it up and burn it and to be honest I don’t care if you hate me and think I’m the worst person in the world because being a writer you need to understand criticism. I say this because critics are tough! So I’m going to give you a couple of tips on how to make this piece of literature even better.
First off there isn’t much detail in this. So if I were you, I would put some more detail in it because this is not at all long enough to be a chapter plus I can’t even tell what is going on in this piece of literature. I honestly don’t even know how to help you add more detail because there is not even enough detail for me to understand what is happening in this first chapter. So I would work on that as much as you can.
Honesty, if this stuff gets fixed I would love to continue reading this book. If I were you I would fix the mistakes, and then go back to this copy of your chapter. Then on the right side menu there is an edit button so click that and change the errors. Once you do that get a hold of me and tell me you changed it. Then I will come

Searria H. wrote a review...

Hi there! First of all, welcome to YWS!! :elephant: Let me know if you ever need anything. :)

For your first piece of writing, this was really good. You have a lot of fantastic ideas about presentation to achieve different effects, but some of the structure of your writing didn't quite support your awesomeness. ;) I'll point a few things out, and you can take or leave whatever you like. :)

Nitpicks:

The relentless whine of 100’s of bees flying

You don't need an apostrophe in "100s." Also, the word "flying" sort of breaks up the flow for some reason. I would either put it before "bees" or omit it completely. When you hear bees buzzing, most people would assume they're flying, so I don't really think you need to include that.

wreaked car

wreck
plastic grip held

I would say "holding" since your following verb is in the present tense, and you used a participle in the previous clause.

There's nothing wrong with long sentences. They're great when you want certain effects. However, I would not suggest beginning a piece with one that is dauntingly long. A lot of readers may lose interest. It's sad, but true. But you do whatever you feel is best. :)

Disappointment stares through his father’s eyes as Alex slowly forces himself across the field knowledge that the beating is unavoidable settling in the pit of his stomach.

First of all, I don't know that I would have used disappointment. Really think of your character's reaction and disposition and find an emotion that you think suits him. I could be wrong; I don't know. Secondly, I had to read this sentence several times before I understood what you were trying to say. Perhaps you could just reword a little to make it more clear: "...across the field with the dread of the inevitable beating settling in the pit of his stomach." Just play around with it. Maybe read it out loud to yourself or to a couple of friends to make sure you are as clear to your audience as possible.

Now 10 years later he listens to the whine of metal flying through the air, cold steel of a wrecked Humvee solid against his back, the strong thud of his heart pumping adrenaline filled blood through his veins, plastic grip held as if his life depends on it, the sun shines down from its high perched throne.

Sentences this distinctive should only be used once every so often in a piece. I see what you were trying to do, but it's just a little too repetitive to have not only the same long sentence structure, but the exact same long sentence repeated in such a short time. If it was a really brief idea, it might have worked better. I don't know. It's probably just a matter of opinion. :)

Alex lets a the sardonic smile play on his lips

Simple typo. :) Just pick an article.

General Comments:
:arrow: Personally, I don't like all caps. I find them sort of annoying for some reason. I've always thought that your narration and the actual words of your dialogue should be strong enough to convey a tone of voice without having to show it visually. It's not illegal by any means; just a personal preference. :D

:arrow: I'm a little confused with your bouncing around. Is Alex really 19 right now, or 9? Is he in a war zone, or is he playing war while cutting wood for his abusive dad? I'm thinking, the first paragraph is Alex playing as a little kid, and then his imaginings become reality ten years later in the last two paragraphs. Yes? Maybe? If so, it's a really neat effect, but if there was some way you could make it clearer, it would be much more powerful. :D

You have a great start hear. The main issue I had with it was clarity. I think you have some really creative and artistic ideas on how to say things, but the writing itself can't quite give them the support they need. Please keep working on this piece. I would really enjoy reading more. :D
If you have any questions or comments about this review, please feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to try and explain myself better if needed. :D Good luck, and happy writing!
-Sea-

No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.
— W. A. Nance