z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Where did you go, John?

by lowrigrace


It’s awfully hard without you, you know? Your paintings have been taken down and I don’t know where they are.

There’s a big chasm, punch-in-the-wall where your room used to be. I run up the long and winding stairs from school, naturally, and when I get to your cove my feet come to a halt and my leather-bound shoes screech across the hardwood, mahogany floor because I suddenly come to my senses and realise you’re not there anymore. The realisation hits me like a sledge hammer shattering your very existence and I cling to the vague memory of you carefully preventing you from skimming past my fingertips.

When I walk into your old sanctuary, which I now do more than ever, I feel the room change into the old environment it was before you flew away. It feels like the music is still blaring out of the speakers, the guitar is still being strummed and the drum skins employed fully.

I miss you, you know? Your clothes have been sold now. A jacket went for £786,000. I never understood why, didn’t that jacket only cost £10 from a department store? But, because you wore it, apparently that makes it pricier. I don’t understand that, I can’t comprehend it. Why do you cost so much? You’re just you. You’re gone now – the elder folk say you cost even more now you’ve disappeared. It’s all a phony, incomprehensible mess. I remember your leather jacket. That’s been sold, too. I remember you sitting in your hideaway in that coat, playing until your fingers bled.

Did you know that I sat in the corner of your four walls and I thought of how I was sat in your tree with you? And, how we fell asleep and the next day I saw you on the cover of “Mersey Beat”? It was an accident and you covered my eyes and we left the shop. I think you always tried to protect me from that sort of thing. I recall sitting up with you that night, the fire was the only bright thing in the room, and your eyes, quite oddly, were not. You said “I want you to be the only thing in my life that won’t change, even when everything else will”. It seemed like a corny, classic line so I laughed. You looked hurt, and I still wish I hadn’t laughed. I took your hand, just to reassure you that I wouldn’t change. I haven’t, but you’re gone. I tried my best to never change, but it didn’t keep you here.

Why aren’t you here? Sometimes I walk through the fields and sit among the golden, wondrous flowers and daydream about you and how much I wish you’d succumb and come home to be with me where you belonged. Surely, you have a choice? Remind me if I’m being naïve. I dream you’ll sweep me into your arms once again, but I know you’re probably never coming home. I daydream until tears run down my cheeks; I never notice those tears until I’ve snapped out of it.

I wish we didn’t have to grow up, I can’t imagine being anywhere without you, even now. I want to grow wings. Do you think it’s possible? I’d like to be a bird with you. This house is empty, like my body, my numbness seeps into the walls and the house no longer breathes or functions.

I was walking home from school and I saw your face on a magazine. I thought it really was you at first, and I wanted to run up and hug you and ask where the heck you’d been, but I noticed it wasn’t you, and I remembered you hated me looking at pictures of you on magazines. I covered my eyes the way you would and walked off because you’re not here to do that anymore, or to protect me anymore. Your glasses looked a little different, but they suit you.

I can recall the time I used to wear your glasses. They used to fuzz and blur my vision so much I’d laugh. “Why the hell do you have to wear these?!” I’d splutter, and you’d chuckle, shaking your head. We laughed a lot, I miss that. I don’t laugh much anymore.

So, in the end, sitting in your big old empty room. No clothes. No guitars. No glasses. No books and no paintings. I think about it all. Where’d you go, John?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 15394
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:43 am
Juniper wrote a review...



Hi LowriGrace, I’m June,
I really enjoyed this piece. I think you did a great job capturing the sense of someone longing for her brother’s absence, and I especially love the emphasis on the glasses in the end, because his glasses have become such a powerful statement, especially following his death.
All of the issues I have with this piece reside in the second paragraph. Let’s have a look, bit by bit:

There’s a big chasm, punch-in-the-wall where your room used to be. I run up the long and winding stairs from school, naturally, and when I get to your cove my feet come to a halt and my leather-bound shoes screech across the hardwood, mahogany floor because I suddenly come to my senses and realise you’re not there anymore.

The first sentence, I like. I’m not sure how much I like the use of “chasm” here, but “punch in the wall” brought to mind a feeling of sinking of emptiness I personally feel when I’ve lost someone, and I typically refer to that as being punched in the stomach.
It’s the second sentence I have issues with-- for one, it’s long and feels like a run-on. Further, the part, “I run up the long and winding stairs from school”, I assume, you mean when she gets home from school? I don’t like the heavy language where you mention leather bound shoes and mahogany floors-- I think these descriptions would do quite well in a story, but here, in a letter to a brother, they feel odd because I wouldn’t be so descriptive in a letter to my own brother.

The realisation hits me like a sledge hammer shattering your very existence and I cling to the vague memory of you carefully preventing you from skimming past my fingertips.

Here, we meet repetition. In the sentence prior, you tell us you come to your senses and realize he’s not there, so I don’t feel that concurring the word is doing you any favors. I would nix this whole quote all together, because, as I said earlier, it feels heavily descriptive for a letter to a brother someone lost. If I were writing a letter to my sibling, I would try to spend the space letting them know I loved them, not dwelling on tiny, insignificant detail. Finally, memories don’t pass by fingertips; I understand that you want to convey the idea that memories are in or out of the narrator’s grasp, but I don’t like this image because, again, it feels odd in a letter.
You have a good grasp of language, which I applaud you for. Thanks for the read, it was nice. :)
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out,
June




User avatar
1260 Reviews


Points: 1630
Reviews: 1260

Donate
Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:21 am
Elinor wrote a review...



Hello,

I don't know much about John Lennon or the Beatles. Did John Lennon even have a sister? I don't know, but I guess it doesn't really matter for the sake of the narrative. You're a good writer. You have a strong command of playing with the emotion and imagery of prose. My two problems with the story derive from the content itself.

First (and this point ties into my second) I don't see why this piece needs to be about John Lennon. Yes, there are references made to his fame and his music or his glasses. But the piece, as it stands, doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know about John Lennon or offer any insight onto who he was as a person. While I like the idea of showing a side of superstars that we don't often see or think about-who they are as a family member-I don't feel like it's portrayed very strongly in this piece.

Because there are so very many stories like this. Death is one of life's great mysteries, and loss of a loved one is such an emotional thing to go through. Therefore, it only makes sense that there would be a lot of stories produced about the subject. The key is to make it your own. Whether you write about John Lennon or someone you made up, I really like the idea of showing what it is like for family members of someone who is really famous. I would also think about the structure. Develop the relationship between the narrator and Lennon/whoever so we can see how close they were and why the narrator is pain.

I think this is a very solid start and that you could really take this somewhere. Good luck! Feel free to message me if you have any questions!




User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 619
Reviews: 83

Donate
Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:39 am
Andrea2676Marie wrote a review...



Love John Lennon firstly. And secondly I like the emotion in this short. I think you could really expand on it more! Or at least I encourage you to. My only suggestion is to re-read and go through how many times the word "I" is in your piece. It's very hard to get away from this, but try not to repeat it too much. I love the story though. As always, good luck to you and your writing!





The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.
— Patrick Star