z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Locket

by TranscendingIllusion


I remember that day;
my eyes caught by your beauty.
Slender seductive legs
balanced your ever so delicate hips;
leading to your angelic waist.
Drapes of cloth tease me
as I follow your aura.
Your bare back tugging me along;
smooth shoulder blades
cutting into your kissable neck.
Curls of golden silk
coveted your head.
I helplessly gaze
wanting, waiting to see your face.
I imagine lips, softer than petals;
teeth so symmetrically white.
 
Your path comes to a stop
as you turn to face me.
Taunting me still,
your blissful hair
hides away your eyes.
A strand sits softly
on your; gracefully defined
collar bone.
And there hanging just below;
my locket.
Pale hands take mine,
my breath stolen.
I slowly stroke
your hair;
tucking it behind your ear.
I look up.
 
Fluttering butterfly eyelashes dance.
Each long black thread
carved so perfectly.
I hold my jaw
from dropping.
Your eyelids glide shut.
An elegant smile
is painted on your lips.
A playful tongue
tastes your rose lips.
From your mouth
a charming giggle gleams.
I take your chin
holding up your head.
That's when,
you opened your eyes.
 
I try to find the air,
the words to describe.
Looking vulnerably into you,
a thousand candles flicker
back at me.
Droplets of pure lunar
shine and grow from you.
Your onyx pupils encompassed by
the ebb and flow of turquoise oceans;
your irises.
I truly lose myself
as I see us running
through the forest floor, hand in hand.
Barefooted, our laughter
echoes around as the moonlit
lake smiles upon us.
 
Before, I watched as the
leaves on trees changed
through seasons.
Here on this wooden park bench,
I waited on warm summer days,
and cold winter nights.
I hoped each day,
you'd look up at the stars,
that you would find your
way back to me.
You moved away so sudden,
you forgot to let go
of my heart as it tore,
still beating 
away from my chest..
Yet here you are.
 
I crafted you a necklace,
with a  secret slot
where you might keep
a picture, or a heart.
As you stand in front of me,
patient and pretty;
there hasn't been a day
where I haven't longed for your touch.
Endurance shattered,
we hold each other tightly.
I feel a tear connect from your nose
on my shoulder.
I hold your face as we both
embarrassingly smile.
Put simply;
I love you;


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 246
Reviews: 160

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:19 pm
Rurouni says...



Ohh, I love this!

This is really amazing!

I love the description and how it all flows...

I really like it, I can't find anything wrong, spelling wise...

Well,

Happy Review Day 2013 June

Thanks,

pegasusgirl2




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:15 pm
Hannah wrote a review...



Okay, so you had a really interesting premise here. The words that stick out to me most are the words onyx, and then that passage where he's looking up at the sky and wishing she'd come back. I don't know if that means she died, or he's just looking to an object in his life that is a constant and also in hers. I'm not clear on that, so that would definitely need some attention.

The biggest problem for me is that everyone wants to describe the person they love with the highest beauty. In doing so, we all have rose lips and gleaming giggles, and we're all slender and sexy and draped in cloth that hints at our physical being. Because of that, it's hard to read this poem eagerly. It could be anyone. It's not just the character who was given the locket, it's every character who has ever been loved, and that makes it not as interesting to read, because we could just go read some other poem for the same message.

I think what you need to do is focus on what you kind of brought into the spotlight without expanding on it: the locket. You say, in that ending stanza: I gave it to you. But you give us NOTHING else! What does she keep in it?! Does she wear it every day? Why does he notice it, just because it's a material object that he gave to her and she's wearing it as a sign of belonging to him? Expand on this element that took your attention and see if you can get away from the story everyone else can tell.

Good luck!
PM me if you have any questions or comments about my review, please.
And above all, keep writing!




User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:54 pm
Audy wrote a review...



Hey TranscendingIllusion!

Now, I love your experiment with sounds here. So, slender seductive / balanced delicate -- these soft /e/ sounds in close proximity do provide a nice effect in this piece.

Now, I do have to agree with what Pengu was saying, the poem ran a bit long. I don't think it's a matter of people not liking it or trying to skim through it in that sense - I think it's because you have two disparing elements in this piece. One element is the short line, that makes for quick reading. Short lines are all about brevity, lightness, and crispness. People tend to read through them fast, so you want to be able to get straight-to-the-point when you're writing in short lines, because we're reading it faster. The other thing is the length of the poem itself -- so it's akin to watching an action movie that has scene after scene after scene of fast actiony clips -- but having the movie be 4-5 hours long o.o it's two conflicting elements. I'm not saying that every poem with short lines should only be a certain number of lines long -- if you can make a long poem feel short with precision and economy of words, then people will hardly feel the length at all.

The description here, while beautiful, and you do point a lot of this symmetrically white, softer than petals, gold, silk, etc. all of these words all add up to our minds in a culmination of: beauty, beauty, beauty -- so midway through, we get it already. This woman is beautiful -- but make us care for this woman.

We're not going to care about her appearance one fraction of a second, unless you first describe why this means so much to the speaker, or you know...the woman's personality would be a start.

All of this to say I love you at the end is a bit anticlimatic. It could be a powerful piece, but sometimes a poet needs to roll up his/her sleeves and be willing to cut their darlings.

I hope this helps.

~ as always, Audy




User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 736
Reviews: 9

Donate
Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:52 pm
Paolamarie1502 wrote a review...



Hi there! Paolamarie here, you can call me Paola. this is an amazing poem is so romantic and very sweet! is also very good in the way that you use your imagery words. Every line I read was amuzing and very enchanting. I found this poem to be a really nice piece of work that you have made I really liked it but other than that it was nicely done :)






Hey Paola, thank you so much for your kind words :) I'm glad that you liked the imagery that I was hopefully able to create for the reader. I wanted to write a poem that was really descriptive so I feel that I did okay been that you liked it :)

Thank you :D



User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:05 pm
View Likes
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Hola, Transcending!

Yay for writing poetry, I can see that you've put a whole lot of feeling behind your narrator's emotions and the devotion they have for this person is really very clear. I like that you've got a good handle on including imagery in poetry - imagery is often what keeps your readers interested in the action of the poem. (there isn't always much action in poetry, which is why imagery becomes super important).

This poem, however, is really too long. I say it's too long because about halfway through I kept wondering when it was going to end, and when it kept going for ages I skipped to the bottom and was like "oh man" because, it's super long and gets really boring in the middle. What you need to do, in the case of your readers potentially finding the poem uninteresting in the middle, is condense what you're saying. This is where that imagery bites you a bit, I'm sad to say. You do a lot of describing here and it gets really repetitive really quickly and I can tell you I was over it super quickly. The images you have are pretty good, although I don't know about perfect hips and such, but they have conviction and that's pretty key. What I suggest you do at this point is remove any description which isn't absolutely necessary to the image you're giving us. As an example your fourth stanza is pretty much unnecessary. That's pretty harsh to say, I know, but we really, really don't need onyx pupils and turquoise oceans of irises, describing eyes in this way is pretty assuredly cliched. Then the running in the wood is pretty uninteresting, and the important bits are that the narrator is looking down and seeing the joy reflecting back, isn't it? We're being distracted from the good stuff by all of the over the top imagery going on. Once you edit that back a bit, your whole poem will take on a new sense of purpose which will really change how your reader approaches the poem.

I know that all looks pretty scary, so I'm basically saying; take out some of the imagery, only keep the really good, interesting bits. See what comes out. Always remember that you never have to keep an edit of a poem, and that you also only have to take the advice you want. I hope this helps, you have a good poem to look forward to.

Please feel free to hit me up with any questions, queries or just to chat.

- Penguin.






Thank you (I think) for the review. I would probably go as far to say that you didn't really get the poem. I understand that you think it is to long, but that's because you got bored. If you enjoyed the poem like the reader is meant to then you wouldn't have thought it was to long. I understand that everyone isn't going to enjoy it, so I understand that people just aren't going to like it like others might.

I agree that describing eyes is cliche, but I think I did it in a way that I have never read before, and I would say it was one of my favourite lines in the poem, but that is just my opinion.

Again if you were skipping till the end I think you should have just stopped reading and moved on. If you are bored, then obviously this isn't your cup of tea.

I'll take your criticisms on board and have a read through again and remove any lines I don't feel are necessary.

Thanks again



User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 47

Donate
Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:43 am
Wonder says...



Beautiful. I was totally moved by this poem, and I can imagine the girl the narrator loves.

I love it!

- Wonder






Thank you so much for your comment :)

I'm glad that you could imagine her because it makes me feel like I did a good job of describing her :)

Thanks again :D




Journeys end in lovers' meeting.
— William Shakespeare