12+

The Right Lie.

by StoneHeart

The Right Lie.

When cold and stone

do turn to bone,

the world shall moan

in flaming chrome.

No light shall shine

in the darkest shrine.

The dying world will be mine,

lost from hope, without a sign.

But then upon the seventh day

all that which was then made of clay,

shall tear upon the widening fray

turning an eye to a path led astray.

How could you smile without the light?

How could you feel, but know not might?

How could you watch and feel no spite?

How could you run from a shining light?

Before you was what naught could buy

but all you saw was the fiery sky.

All you feared was but to die.

All you owed was another lie.

Life was nothing but a broken tie

lying there in a filthy sty:

Gone from hope in your lost eye

worth nothing but a sound-less cry.

Oh, that foolish creature of clay

running in circles all the day.

Lost to what, he cannot not say.

It twasn’t about whether or nay

good was true, no it wasn’t I say!

It was what paid that he ought to let stay

the very chosen path of the prey,

the prey of choice and mind combined

the perfect match for death and decay.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:26 pm
Skydreamer wrote a review...

Hey! Here for your review! I go from stanza to stanza. Also I'll be editing stuff, so it'll be in bold. And I'll explain everything in depth!

First stanza:

"When the cold stone -- or if you don't like this I'd suggest you replace "cold" with "ice" so that it could be physical. Because cold can't be turned to bone, it is a description of something not an actual thing.

turns to bone, -- I have a question about this, I am just wondering why the stone should turn to bone? I am actually wondering about the meaning, I think it's good to look deeper into the meaning, and I sure you had a reason for it. Was it for the stone becoming more of a living thing? Or what was it? I am curious. Also "do" I feel is unnecessarily and lengthens the poem, thus making it harder to flow.

the world shall moan

in flaming chrome." -- For the stanza in general I thought that it was pretty good, the rhyming was surely there. I would suggest you take my advice though, and you can read it out-loud slowly to see if it works for you. I always read the poetry both in my mind and out-loud. A lot of how one views poetry is in how it flows, so I tend to focus on that.

Second Stanza:

"Though no light will shine

in the darkest shrine.

The dying world will be mine,

lost from hope, without a sign." --- Overall this stanza was good, but I would suggest changing the way you wrote it a bit with my edits. Also, it was a bit of a strange twist, to the dying world will be mine, from no light shall shine in the darkest shrine. Also, I want to let you know you can keep with a theme or tune or style, and still not rhyme so much, and it's not just the rhyming it's the sentence by the rhymes. And though some of them are great. Some of them could be a bit different. As I tried to show in the example above, using the word "will" twice makes the two lines familiar then making the rhyming not so jutted by not matching. I am also curious what you meant with this stanza.

Third Stanza:

"But then upon the seventh day

all of which was made of clay, -- the "then" and "that" were taken out because they were unnecessary. The "of" was added for proper flow, so that it would still work.

shall tear upon the widening fray

turning an eye to the path led astray." -- I changed the "a" to "the" because I had a feeling from the way you were writing this, the author was the one directing, which meant the path was specific and not random. Overall I thought this stanza was pretty good, the fourth line was a bit tough to re-assemble but I felt it worked better that way.

Fourth Stanza:

"How could you smile without the light?

How could you feel, but not with might? -- I took out the "know" and made it like this because of the meaning, one can feel and know not might; but it is possible for one to not feel with might.

How could you watch and feel no spite? -- I like this line I think it's my favorite, it has a lot of good meaning and it really draws the reader in. Like, what is it that should cause spite? And so forth, which was nice to see.

How could you run from the shinning sight?" -- I felt this original line was quite repetitive and thus, did not make the rhyming go well here. If you don't like that, I have another example:

I would suggest: "How could you run from a light so bright?"

Fifth Stanza:

"Before you was what naught could buy -- Please explain this to me. I'd be willing to look this over and reply about what I think when I understand what you mean. :) I like to know what the writer is trying to say when I can't figure it out. And in this case I can't, so, please let me know.

but all you saw was the fiery sky.

All you feared was but to die."

All you owed was another lie." -- I found nothing else to edit here. As for what I thought, it was interesting and confusing. I'd advise you to remember that your reader may not understand exactly what you mean, which means, that sometimes you must drop hints. Even the most confusing work have some meaning in their confusion. I'm not saying you don't, just saying.

Sixth Stanza:

"Life was nothing but a broken tie

lying there in a filthy style

Gone from hope lost your in eye -- I switched the words around here so that it could be easier to understand.

worth nothing but a soundless cry." -- Soundless is a word and so it doesn't need to be separated.

As for the whole stanza I also found this one quite confusing, and perhaps if explained I would understand. That said though, it is interesting so if your purpose was to be interesting, it worked! I liked the use of "soundless cry" although it felt a little bit out of place with the lines before it, I still thought the use was good.

Seventh Stanza:

"Oh, that foolish creature of clay

running in circles all of the day. -- it matched the length of rhyme as the line above.

Lost to what, he cannot not say. -- I like this line, it was simple but it worked, and it described the character.

It twasn’t about whether or nay,

good was true, no it wasn’t I say! -- This line was very out of POV. Even in poetry you have this. If you wanted to write that line, I would suggest you put quotations around it. Or, maybe have added some other first person posts. I just felt surprised seeing it. I know you were writing from the narrators point of view, but I still suggest you look it over and put quotations, it really catches on of guard.

the very chosen path of the prey,

the prey of choice and mind combined

the perfect match for death and decay." -- First of all I do think this should be split up into two different stanzas but then, I am just going to go ahead and review it like it is.

So overall, I thought this was a very unique poem. Form the beginning I felt it was meant to rhyme a lot, and it seemed to have a certain style. That said though, I also felt it a bit intimidating for it seemed very abstract and I'm not the best at cracking abstract, I hope I did good enough. Please do take my advice and look things over! It was a good poem though, and good to read. Keep 'em coming. :D

-- Dream over the hills, the mountains, the skyscrapers. ^^

You really need to get into using the whole [-quote]TXT[/-quote-] thing (reading the review now).

Your comment on the first stanza: Yes those two lines have a meaning. It means something's wrong. Something is happening that shouldn't be happening. Thing's are messed up (suggestions on improvement?). Your suggestion is a good one for the removal of that 'and'.

Next stanza: The 'shall' was there to keep repetitive 'will's out of the way, and the 'though' wouldn't really be appropriate. This poem is, as you may have realized, a spiritual poem, involving good and bad (I'm a christian and that would imply god and the devil). This stanza is said from the devil's point of view, looking at a world where god has not died himself, but people's belief in him has. The shrine's is still there, there's just no feeling.

Your suggestions for the third stanza are all good, good, good! Thanks for them (I really hope that you're not wrong with the assumption that the 'of' is appropriate . . . it's critical). This here stanza talks about the seventh day (referring to 'the end of time'), the 'made of clay' part suggests man (note the THEN), the third and fourth lines refer to humanity losing hope and turning to 'the path led astray', after having been brought down by 'a widening fray' (in their relationship with god).

Your first suggestion for the fourth stanza won't work I'm afraid (it changes the meaning), but the second one is good! This stanza widens out a bit on 'what's wrong'.

p.s. I'll get back to this review later!

To your first comment I do use that, but not when I'm editing/suggesting things. I don't see the point. :P

But anyways, I hope you get what you can out of it, and glad I could help! :)

It did.

WillowCutz wrote a review...

Hey twenty something try at reviewing.
So don't expect me to be good at it. I'll get started. I apologize in advance for my personality.

First off, ugh, rhyming. One of my pet peeves. In general it adds nothing to the actual poem and a little bit of a headache to the reader. Ever read Dr. Seuss out loud? It is a literary device that requires a delicate amount. I can't exactly tell what that amount is because a scarely ever use it (I don't use it), but I know that every line is too mich for my tiny head.

Okay, I have to ask, what's with the Old English? It seems unneeded. But if you were going for a mood I think there are better ways of making the reader feel alone and mello.

That's all I got.

:P That's great!

The rhyming is to keep the poem together, make it flow. You're very odd to get a headache from it. But yeah, you are a bit odd :D

The old english is to go with the theme :D

barefootrunner wrote a review...

Hi there, BlackNether. Okay, the master reviewer is about to be reviewed :D

So, my first thought when I got to this piece, was 'RHYME!'
There is a lot of it. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but you used perfect rhyme pretty much all the way through in huge regimented blocks. Firstly, this gives your poems a nursery-rhyme or even sing-song feel, especially because the rhyme is of a simple nature, like 'cry' and 'sty'. Secondly, it invariably draws the reader's eye to the last word of each line, so much so that much of the meaning and beautiful vocabulary in the poem is lost. I would recommend thinning the rhyme out a little, or it takes over the entire poem. You can either change the rhyme scheme or change the rhyming words to make the rhyme less conspicuous.

Also, beware of changing the meaning of the poem to suit the rhyme scheme. In your first stanza, you suddenly have 'flaming chrome' coming in. Did you really originally have flaming chrome in mind, or did it just fit the rhyme scheme?

Then, your word choice. It brings to mind something Biblical, perhaps, and I might guess at your theme because of all the apocalyptic images... It might have something to do with religion or beliefs.

Here, too, beware. You are reusing your words sometimes. The word 'clay' was used very conspicuously in two places to form rhyme, so did you reuse it for the rhyme or the meaning, and in either case, would it be detrimental to the poem to remove it?

You also have a lot of abstract terms, for example 'flaming', 'life', 'spite' and 'might'. They do not create visual cues in the reader's mind. Using a flood of abstractions is a major pitfall in poetry, since it can dilute the poem's message by simply leaving the reader in a mire of nonpictorial ideas. Make it real—give readers stuff they can picture and touch. Very concrete objects that capture their minds like clay, sty and tie are good. (But why would a tie be in a sty?)

There are a few points where I can't quite make grammatical sense out of it:

Lost to what he what, he could not say.
Perhaps 'he what' should go? The tense is also wrong if you are referring back to the creature of clay — it should be can.
Gone from hope in your lost eye
Is this supposed to be a separate sentence to the previous one? It seems to be referring back to life, so I think it should be one sentence?

Also, soundless does not need a hyphen.

the right was true, no it wasn’t I say!
Right in which context? As in the right to do something or right and wrong?

And check out your punctuation to see that you are using the same sort of scheme all the way through, and even though it is a poem, it should be correct. Try to remove the line breaks and see it all as prose. Do the punctuational editing and break it up again.

Be careful that you do not format your poem just to suit the internal rhythm. Things like adding in a 'do' (stanza 1) or a 'there' (stanza 6) can change the tone or even meaning of the poem subtly. Look at "I do love the summer so!" in comparison with "I love the summer so!" The previous one seems positively medieval! Try "I put it there on the table." and "I put it on the table." The previous one has a more informal effect, and more indicative. So the devil is sometimes in the detail!

I liked the long, moaning assonance of the poem and its shape. It suited the poem and strengthened its meaning. As for the theme... I can but guess that it is about what religion to believe in and the effect of apocalypses and the devil? Tell me if I am close or waaaay cold, like I suspect. If I am, your poem might need some work to clear up the duplicity :)

Good job, and keep writing!
barefootrunner

Okay, I'll be fair and let you know that I intentionally made my theme hard to find.

I suspect that only three people on the site could have ever found it.

Also, the rhymes all do go with my theme. Chrome signifies something! The more abstract words were supposed to be there as well, I'm talking about something rather general and I don't want any too specific words to dilute my meaning.

My reason for using rhymes is simple: Easy to read. Compare narrative poetry to this? Is this easier to read or what? Sorry: It's just my personal poetry preferences kicking in. I like easy reading. :D But thanks for the feedback.

You're on the right track with the theme. You just need to take a step back and look at the overall poem a bit more . . . separatedly.

You are right though with the first quote! Fixing now! Same with the second one. You're right with 'right' as well, though I'll be changing it for different reasons. :)

Very helpful review overall!

Thanks a lot!

rbt00 wrote a review...

You used amazing words to rhyme your poem
I liked the message you conveyed but i guess it would require more important like mostly in grammar .
And using capital letters.
With a bit more of hard work you can do it.
I really appreciate it but some lines i did not really understand what they conveyed.
Sometimes you really dont need to use words just to rhyme your poem . There should be a message conveyed.
Anways Keep it up :D

^^ There is one. I'm just really vague.

:)

Thanks for the review. Feedback is always loved.

"It's not nice to roast people when they're out of comebacks."
— Tuckster