z

Young Writers Society



Deep shallow water

by Cosmo


Deep in shallow waters, light on dark of aging childhoods.
               Dark on shallow, aging childhoods in light of shallow waters.
Light on childhoods, shallow dark in aging waters of deep.
                Shallow in aging, dark waters deep on light of childhoods.
Childhoods on light waters of aging deep shallows, in dark.
                Deep in light shallow waters, of childhoods on dark aging.
On dark waters of deep childhoods, in light shallows aging.
                In light on shallow childhoods, deep aging of dark waters.
Waters of deep dark childhoods, aging in shallow light.
 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:35 pm
Hannah wrote a review...



OOH. Fantastic playing.

Here are my favorite lines:

Childhoods on light waters of aging deep shallows, in dark.


On dark waters of deep childhoods, in light shallows aging.


And am I right in guessing the last line was the original that spawned the rest of the considerations? I love this kind of poem, because I bet while you were writing it you learned a lot about what it means to construct sentences, how the order of words can evoke entirely different images and tones, and probably felt a lot better about your chances of writing something original in a language of only so many words.

Take, for example, the two lines I liked best. Their subjects are completely different. One talks about childhood and they are above the deep, dark waters. The other has the dark waters being childhood, the same thing, while aging in light shadows. You picked rich words to play with and did well.
Of course, there were some weaknesses. Namely, and sadly, the first three lines. They all seem like the kind you'd write after you'd run out of all the good ideas and still needed to play around some more. I especially don't like the sentence construction of "noun on adjective/non-matching noun". Neither of those two lines works, and because of that, I don't believe the next clause that follows. You might want to clean and tighten the beginning up to prepare us for the goodness in the middle and end.

This was great, so thank you!
PM me if you have any questions or comments about my review, please.
Good luck and always keep writing!




User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:14 pm
Audy wrote a review...



Hey Cosmo!

Nice to see you again. So I'm just going to dive straight into this. This reminds me of the exercise that Rydia and myself were doing, where we tried to write poems using a certain number of words and then changing up the syntax/order of the words.

This poem here has a really cool effect, almost like a ring-on-water sort of repetition that is really cool. There are a lot of soft sound effects as well with the /deep/ and the /l/s the /o/s -- it creates this sort of soft, tender hearted kind of rhythm which suits the piece as well.

It is a very difficult thing to try to accomplish and I love the experimentation and seeing you go for it and also accomplishing it! The one thing that I would say, that was something that I've discovered when doing this myself, is to back up the poem's aesthetics with some strong form. Because you're working with such rigidity in words -- the form of the poem sort of needs to be tightly packed as well. So utilize your whitespace and your line breaks, because when you're trapped in a number of words that you can use -- the only thing that you have left where you're free to manipulate to your liking are your line breaks.

Let me know if you wish to chat this one over, or if you have any questions/confusions and I'll be happy to talk ^^

I hope this helps.

~ as always, Audy




Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:03 am
Skyaejin says...



Hello, this is Sally writing.

I like the way you indented every other line.
However, I do not see any clear destination or conclusion of the poem.
Keep writing!




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 15394
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:59 am
Juniper says...



Howdy there, Cosmo, I'm Juniper,

My mind isn't quite sure what just happened here, but I think I like your creativity with words here. Save for the part where the poem, as a whole, does not make sense when organized like this, I think you have a creative eye for stylistic poetry. Thumbs up,
June




User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:14 am
Aley wrote a review...



This poem is very confusing. First, we start out with light and dark being stacked on top of one another, which is confusing in itself, and then you continue to use childhoods in places where multiple childhoods seems to be misplaced. Most of the time, childhood is pluralized by their, instead of childhood[s], or at least it isn't naturally in my vernacular that way. On top of that, we start out with a contradiction, or at least something hard to picture, 'light on dark' regardless of how dark can be 'of' aging childhoods? Typically I would think the darkness from, or darkness on the aging childhood of the village, or childhood of the darkness, so it seems backwards.
Then you seem to have some odd formula for mix-matching these words. I'm curious if this was a found poem perhaps, but I'm not sure. As it stands now, I think it needs some explanation with it as to what you were trying to do, or why you continued to repeat the same lines. Perhaps it is just because I am not completely brushed up on my contemporary poetry?
I'd really like to be able to get something out of this, but after a few lines, it starts becoming word soup and I have a hard time keeping things straight.
If you can explain contemporary poetry to me perhaps, then I might be able to give you a better review.




Cosmo says...


This was literally an experiment to see what I could make using the same words in a different pattern.
I put it on here to see if anyone could make anything of it.

Obviously not...



User avatar
213 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 213

Donate
Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:35 pm
dark wrote a review...



Hmm, I'll say that the way you wrote this makes it harder to tell which stamza is which, or if this is one big stanza. Really I just see the same words repeated over and over again. I don't know if that's intended. Anyway, there are no other mistakes in this... Er Poem. So there's not much I an say really about this, other than its not bad. I'm really just here to review, and I can't really elaborate much. Eh, that's one of the quirks of writing I guess. Anyway good work and all.
~Dark.





The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.
— Chinese proverb