12+

Green

by ToritheMonster

Note: You don't have to have read The Handmaid's Taleby Margaret Atwood to understand this (although I highly reccommend it) but if you have it might clear things up a bit. In the dystopian society of Gilead, The Marthas are essentially household maids and cooks, who serve a Commander and his Wife. The Commander has a handmaid, who wears red, who lives in the house with the purpose of bearing him a child as the Wife cannot. The book is told from the handmaid's perspective, but I thought I would try to think like a Martha.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

When I was a child I had a surgery done, just routine, removing some abscess flesh. After the procedure I was to lie in bed and they fed me through a tube, pumped in regulated amounts of this and that. It will make you feel better, they said. You need to eat.

There is no longer any tube, and yet it feels very much the same. Only now I am the practitioner. I create the saline and oat mashes and glucose solutions. There is no plastic running down her throat, but I bring up bread and eggs on a plastic tray. She hates me, I’m sure. And I never asked for this patient, never asked to pump full the red balloon that refuses to inflate. I wish I had a tube with a needle on the end. Food into the mouth and air into the ball so the children may play.

The Wife I hate as well. Her lips remind me of rose petals, the thin pink ones that curl in at the ends. I used to soak them in water, dab it on my neck. Tear them apart and let the oils sink into my fingers. Now we are not allowed that; nobody is any more. Even the Wife, she smells only of deeply synthetic purples and ethyl fluids, the kind that clean wounds and dry quickly.

When I serve the evening meal, sometimes she smiles. This too dries quickly. When I make sugared desserts, her teeth are always the colour of frosting. Soft greens and yellows and pinks. When she eats them, that is. Once she mashed it all into a thick, ambrosial paste without a bite.

The greens remind me of arsenic, which I have some small amount of. They scattered it, months ago, for ridding the parlour of rats. The bottle was left out accidentally, and I slipped some into a handkerchief. It would be easy to poison her. A dusting over the lamb shank, a pinch in the stew—carefully over time. I would not be caught. They may not perform autopsies anymore; there is no way of testing. They would say she simply fell ill.

MRHILL92 wrote a review...

One thing I would suggest is build up the tension more. He says he hates the wife, but how? Show us all more of that. He kills her, but I feel nothing. There needs to be some more build up. How about you add some more to it? Some dialogue to show what the characters think of each other, but do it vaguely. You don't want this character to outright say, "I hate you." Probably have him act cold, or barely responsive when the woman is trying to talk to him. Simple things like that.

Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! Noelle here for a Review Day review.

Overall I think this is a good story. Even thought it is short, it tells a lot. You did a good job showing how the Martha feels about her position in all of this. I think the bit about the arsenic is a great touch. There's a great difference between wishing someone dead and actually taking steps towards it. By putting in the part about the arsenic, you really show us that the hatred felt here is real.

Here are a few critiques:
*I understand that this is based off of another story, but I feel as though you could clear up a few things. I'm not exactly sure who this 'she's is that is being referred to in the second paragraph. Reading on, I realize that you are talking about the Wife, but it's a bit confusing, especially with the opening sentence of the third paragraph.

The Wife I hate as well.

This is vague, for lack of a better term. It's unclear to me whether she hates the Wife as well as the patient she is taking care of or if the Wife is her patient and she's saying that they hate each other just the same.

*I don't know much about this Martha. In fact, I know very little about her. I know that this is based off of another story, but I feel like you should at least give some background information.

I really enjoyed reading this. It was well written and you packed a lot into such a small amount.

**Noelle**

Thanks! Actually, the first "she" is referring to the handmaid, but I agree that that's very unclear. I'll go back and fix it up.

Jonathan wrote a review...

Hello Monster I (The red team reviewer of sometime or other) is here for a review sorry for my short coming such as some of the probs in the review I hope I did not make any though.

I sure hope this little review helps you out some buddy.

It will make you feel better, they said. You need to eat.
Okay first you were talking about "I" and then just all of a sudden you started talking about yourself here maybe you could re write this like so "It would make me feel much better, they said. I needed to eat." See I mean it is not a huge problem but just a small improvement.

There is no plastic running down her throat,[/quoter]Okay you had this in your throat or whatever and now you say the "She" has it going down her throat I do not see what you are trying to say...

Food into the mouth and air into the ball so the children may play.
You changed tenses first you were talking from your point of view and then blah but still this does not make sense and it also sounds more like a piece of poetry.

And the next paragraph is... well it is not very nice it is kind of "really nasty".

Soft greens and yellows and pinks.
I have no idea why you just poppt this in here just where it does not belong.

Overall there are few mistakes that need fixing but good job although I am not sure why you wrote this at all...

Keep writing and good luck.

I hope this helped.

~Jon~ :pirate3:

You can cut all the flowers, but you cannot stop Spring from coming.
— Pablo Neruda