z

Young Writers Society


12+

Chasing Somewhere 1

by Twit


They catch up with us just outside Chatham. The Indian in the corner shop where I bought dinner (three bags of Doritos, two tubes of Smarties and three packets of cold ham) must have called them, as we haven’t been out of his shop ten minutes before the police car slides to a stop a little ahead of us and two cops get out.

I ignore them and keep on walking. Mick growls, and the rest of the Pack begin to bristle. Quiet guys, I tell them, but the first policeman has his hand out.

‘Excuse me,’ he says.

‘Yep,’ I say, and try to steer around him, but he won’t let me pass.

‘Dara,’ he says. ‘You’ve had a lot of people very worried.’

Oh, pants. No. My heart plummets into my stomach. No. No.

‘Dara,’ he says again, but I’m not listening, my brain frantically flying over the possibilities. There’s the knife in my rucksack, if only I could get to it. I’m weighed down with the shopping bag full of dinner, and I’m carrying Jones, as his legs are too short to keep us with the rest of us. But there are only two policemen, neither of who looks in great shape, and if I just dodge that outreaching hand, I can cut back across the road and into the train station. I can’t be taken back. Elise will be as mad as a cat in a mangle, and I can’t go back now, not when I’ve been away so long.

We’re running, Ginger says, and it’s not a question.

I tighten my arms around Jones and take a step back. Guys, I say, and the Pack moves with me.

‘Now then,’ the policeman begins warningly. ‘Put the dogs on their leads and——’

We turn tail and run.

Behind us, the policeman yells, ‘Oi!’ and gives chase; his partner calls something into the radio, but we’re off and away, paws clattering on the pavement, the shopping bag banging against my legs, Jones tucked protesting under my arm. Over the road, up the station steps and onto the platform, scattering pigeons and passengers, and there’s the bridge and we’re up and under the covered shelter and down the steps on the other side. Someone yells something; someone else grabs my rucksack. I break free and charge onwards, the blood pounding in my ears, trainers slapping the ground.

We almost make it. There’s a train with the doors closing on Platform 1; we can dash on-board and hide from the ticket collector until the next stop, then emerge glorious and triumphant and eat a late dinner sitting on the curb.

We almost make it, if not for the magic doing its usual thing and flaring up at the worst possible moment. I feel it lurch up inside like too many Dr Peppers on an empty stomach, a kick like the beginnings of nausea, and then it bunches in on itself, only to flail hopelessly in all directions. Sparks shoot from under my fingernails, my feet almost miss the ground, thoughts from the passengers on the train slam into my ears, I see through the eyes of a gull overhead.

Stop it! I’ve stumbled, almost fallen, but Ginger is there, nosing me up again. Come on, she says frantically. They’re coming!

My ears pop, my eyes are my own again, I can’t do anything about the fire, so I run on, scattering sparks, but I’ve lost my lead. Jones is whimpering in my arms, his claws scrabbling at my neck to get away from the fire bursting from my fingertips. Don’t like it! he wails, Stop, get down!

A hand grabs my rucksack and swings me round. The policeman grabs Jones in one hand and both my wrists in the other. I kick his knee and try to bite his arm, but he twists my wrists back until I yelp in pain.

‘Keep still!’ he pants, but I duck my head and sink my teeth into his hand. He swears and lets go, and I stumble backwards, snatching up my rucksack and preparing to run again—but the cop still has Jones by the scruff of his neck.

‘Give him back,’ I snarl.

‘Don’t be stupid!’ he snaps.

Jones whimpers. I can’t wait to find the knife—I spring forward, catch the cop’s arm and drag it down, but even as I tear Jones away, the other cop comes huffing up behind me and grabs a handful of my hoodie. Mick is cowering on the edge of the platform, Merry barking furiously at the policemen’s ankles, but Ginger launches herself at the second cop like a golden spearhead, her face distorted with rage.

‘Ginger, no!’ I scream. I throw up my arms and her jaws snap shut on my sleeve. She releases it immediately, and the cop aims a kick at her side; he misses, I manage to wrench myself free, and I drop on my hands and knees, reaching out for her blindly. She thrusts her head under my arm, and I hold her tight. You mustn’t, I almost sob, you mustn’t, they kill dogs that bite.

She’s still growling, her thoughts cloudy with anger. Jones presses against me, shaking and confused, and Mick dashes across the platform to us, his sides heaving with worry. Merry is still barking.

‘Shut that dog up,’ the first cop says.

I’m breathless, my head spinning. ‘Shan’t.’

‘If you don’t make it shut up, I will.’

‘Oh well, in that case. Hush, Merry, or the scary policeman will take you back to his cave and make you into pies.’

He grabs Jones and my rucksack, and hauls me to my feet. I bare my teeth at him, but he holds Jones tightly and says, ‘If you don’t behave, I’ll have to cuff you. Do you want that?’

‘Oh my, yes,’ I say. ‘You’ve discovered my deepest desire. Take me, officer, take me now.’

He’s not amused. We’re bundled back over the bridge to the waiting police car and crowded into the backseat, Jones and dinner on my lap, Ginger on the seat next to me, Mick and Merry on the floor. The policemen wait outside, radioing in their capture.

We are Bambi, shot by poachers.

It’s okay. Ginger licks my cheek.

We’re going back? Mick says. He paws at my trainers, pleading for reassurance. Going back? Back to the care-home?

I bend down and stroke his long black ears. Yes, Mick, it’s okay. We’re going back. It’s okay.

He sighs and pushes against Merry, who shoves him back. Jones pushes his nose under my hand. Ginger licks the top of his head, leaving him adorably ruffled. I put my arm around her. She smells of dust and heat and dog, and I bury my face in her shoulder, breathing her in, and because it’s Ginger, Ginger who’s always there as much my hands and feet are, I hug her tight and draw strength from her comforting sturdiness. I really thought we’d make it this time. I thought…

It’s okay, she says. So we go back to Harbour House, it doesn’t matter. We can try again. It’s okay.

The policemen open the car doors and I straighten, smoothing my face into a blank mask. The escape failed. I failed. That’s it, no use crying over spilt milk and all that stuff. Onwards and upwards.

‘There’ll be a car coming for you,’ one of the cops says. ‘It’ll take you back home.’

‘So kind,’ I say. ‘Who do I make the bill out to?’

They look at each other and roll their eyes. They take us to the police station, then there’s a short wait before the other car arrives. I share out the ham and Doritos and keep the Smarties for myself.

The policeman in the car tsks disapprovingly. ‘You’ll get spots,’ he says.

‘Corner shop didn’t have sandwiches,’ I say. ‘Want a Smartie?’

He refuses, but I like that he’s confused by my offer. The other cop is outside, searching my rucksack. He goes through the front pocket, pulling out nappy-sacks and old chocolate wrappers, then upends it on the ground, sending books, clothes, iPod, wallet, string and knife clattering to the ground.

‘Hey!’ I exclaim, and start to open the car door, but he slams it shut again.

‘You, sit still,’ he says.

‘My iPod!’

He bends down and picks up the knife in its sheath. ‘What the hell is this? Is this one of your socks?’

‘No, it’s your mum’s.’ Jeez.

He pulls the cardboard out of the sock and tosses it aside, then puts the knife carefully into a plastic bag he takes out of his pocket. He glances at me contemptuously, and my lip pulls back over my teeth. He looks at The Saddle Club omnibus and The Catcher in the Rye, my spare T-shirts, the ball of string, the school exercise book, and touches everything with disdainful hands. If I had the knife, I’d stab him right in his stupid neck.

The car finally arrives and we are shown into the back seat. The driver is part-fey; he has red hair and long thick black eyebrows, which is really quite ugly, but he doesn’t seem to mind, and he grins at us in the rearview mirror. ‘Where to, then?’

‘Sligo,’ I say. ‘And make it snappy. I have an appointment at ten.’

He pulls out of the police station onto the main road. ‘Sligo? Is that where you’re from, then?’

‘My father’s estate is in that land,’ I say grandly. ‘I myself have property all over Ireland.’

‘Your father, huh?’

‘Roy Trenneman,’ I say. ‘You may have heard of him.’

I don’t know if he gets the reference, but he laughs anyway. ‘You’re a long way from home. What brings you to England, your worship?’

‘Your excellency,’ I correct. ‘I am at present unavoidably detained by matters of state.’

‘That so?’ He laughs again.

There’s a newspaper in the pocket on the back of the seat in front of me, and I pull it out. It’s yesterday’s, and a few pages in, there’s my picture and a few paragraphs:

Police have appealed for information concerning missing Thanet teenager. Dara (surname unknown), aged 13, was last seen on the morning of June 11 at Harbour House, the Broadstairs care home where she is on long-term placement.

Dara’s social worker Elise Martin said: ‘This is not the first time Dara has run away, but we are very concerned at the length of her absence. She is a vulnerable, highly-strung child, and we are very anxious about her welfare.’

Dara is half-fey, around 5ft tall, of slim build. She has long dark hair, yellow-brown eyes, and was last seen wearing an oversized black hoodie, short-sleeved red t-shirt, denim shorts and red trainers. She is travelling with three dogs, with which she shares a fey-bond: one big sandy curly-haired mongrel and two small black spaniels.

Anyone who can help is urged to contact the Kent Police.

I stare at the grainy picture next to the words. It’s my last school portrait, and looks fittingly hideous. My hair’s a mess and my eyes bug out and my teeth are crooked and pointed. Emma says I’ll need braces soon. I don’t want braces, but Megan says an overbite makes people look stupid. Do I care enough to put up with months of metal in my mouth?

Druth says dentists and doctors are for hypochondriacs and old women. I hate doctors.

‘Led everyone a merry chase, it seems,’ the driver says. ‘Eight days they’ve been looking for you.’

‘We would have reached London,’ I said. ‘Only Ginger was tired and then we found Jones and he couldn’t keep up.’

‘Who’s Jones?’

I lift Jones out of my lap and hold him up so the driver can see. Jones wriggles a little and tries to lick my nose.

‘You found him? Where?’

‘By the side of the A2. He was crying and hungry, so I gave him some crisps and then he fell asleep and I picked him up and carried on with us.’

I see the driver raise his eyebrows in the mirror. ‘What about the others? They’re mentioned in the newspaper.’

‘They came with me. Ginger’s always been with me, and Mick and Merry were a present on my next-to-last birthday.’

‘Thought you weren’t supposed to give dogs as presents?’

I cock my head. ‘That’s to bratty children and idiots at Christmas.’

The eyebrows dance. He laughs. ‘Okay, then.’

Silence falls. I stare out the window at the falling dusk. We pass a car with a horse trailer behind it, and I crane my neck to see inside, but all I get is a glimpse of a dark tail in a dark interior. The sky is navy in the east, red with sunset-fire in the west, ripples of gold and peach swirling over the horizon. I unzip my rucksack and find my iPod. I’d planned to avoid any other big towns until we got to London, so I fully charged it in Chatham Library. Not that I need to worry about that now.

Ginger touches my hand with her nose. Don’t be sad.

I kiss the top of her head. I’m not.

She doesn’t believe me.

Jones gives a little sigh, and when I look down I see that he’s fallen asleep, his nose tucked under his stubby tail and his toes twitching in dreams. I set the music on random shuffle and plug in my earphones, then rest my head against the window and close my eyes. John Lennon’s voice is soft and beautiful. Half of what I say is meaningless, but I say it just to reach you, Julia, Julia…

Ginger lies down and stretches out on the seat. Merry is nibbling at her paws, Mick watching her, watching me, watching Ginger.

It’ll be awful when we get back. Last time I ran away, Elise and Emma stopped my dance classes for a month, and that time I’d only been gone a few days. What’ll they do this time? Stop them for a year? It’s Elise who’ll be doing all the shouting, though. Elise is mean. She thinks because she’s half-fey as well that means she and I have a special bond, and together we can fight for equality and raise the minimum wage and make the traffic lights turn green whenever we want to.

Julia, Julia, morning moon touch me, so I sing the song of love, Julia.

I think a lot of the equality Elise wants is all in her head. She was probably deprived as a child, so now thinks that everyone else is deprived. Still, playing on that ended up with me getting Mick and Merry, so I guess having Elise around isn’t all bad. Just not very good.

‘Why Jones?’ The driver’s question yanks me back into wakefulness. ‘Why Jones?’ he repeats. ‘Seems an odd name for a dog.’

‘David Robert Jones,’ I say, closing my eyes again. ‘David Bowie’s real name.’

‘You like David Bowie?’

‘No,’ I say. ‘I dislike him a lot actually. It was a really stupid idea to give a Pack member the name of a musician whose songs I really can’t stand. What was I thinking.’

‘All right, smartarse, I was just asking. What about the others? Do they have musical names as well?’

‘Ginger, after Ginger Rogers,’ I say. ‘Mick, after Mick Jagger, and Merry after Merry Clayton. She sang guest vocals on Gimme Shelter.’

‘Bit before your time, aren’t they?’

‘Music’s music,’ I say. ‘Don’t care when it’s from.’

‘Oh really?’ His voice is teasing. I open my eyes and see him grinning at me in the mirror. ‘Do you still want the air conditioning on?’ he says. ‘You’re not getting cold?’

‘No,’ I say, ‘I’m fine.’

Jones snuffles and curls up tighter on my lap. I rest my hand lightly on his back, and close my eyes. I can hear his heartbeat, and Ginger’s, and Mick’s and Merry’s. They all come together in my head like a pulse, and the sound and the feel of it combine into something I can’t define, a warmth and safety that is the feeling of Pack, and it wraps around me, and even though the escape failed and Elise will rip my head off and deal out awful punishments when we get back, somehow it doesn’t seem quite so bad, and I can sleep with my head against the window, and the Pack close around me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1087 Reviews


Points: 44360
Reviews: 1087

Donate
Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:23 pm
Sins wrote a review...



Twit, u twit. Hi.

You've got some awesomesauce reviews already so I've no idea if I'll actually be of any use... but I shall try my best as you are my wonderful reworderer who deserves nothing but my best!

Methinks this is pretty snazzy overall, I must say. The whole originality of this is totally awesome, and the prose itself is written really well. I will admit that I've creeped on some of your previous reviews (one of my favourite past times), and I did notice that some people have commented on Dara being a bit bratty and unlikable. Now personally I think her character's great. I like that she seems spoiled, and bratty, and whiny, and stuff because it differentiates her from your average character. Plus when we get to know her better, I'm sure the negative aspects of her personality will be understood and justified. So yus, I'm definitely impressed with this overall.

Speaking of creeping on others' reviews, I've realised that I literally have no idea about, like, stuff. I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what a half-fey/fey is, or--scrap that, I just read Shino's review and found out it means fairy, yay fairies. I think that's what it means, right? Something magical, anyways. But yes, also, people are talking about how they were surprised at the dogs not being wolves, and other people are mentioning werewolves, and it's not good for my confusableness. I'm tempted to turn this into a critique, but I'm not sure if it is one. I mean, your target audience for this would be people who probably do know about feys and stuff, so this probably wouldn't be much of an issue. If you would want people like me to grasp everything well though, you could maybe consider giving some deeper explanations to things such as what feys/half-feys actually are (I'm assuming a half-fey is half human, half something else, right?). Just a thought, I guess.

Something else imma address is the beginning of this chapter. Now heck, starting a chapter by jumping straight into the action is my middle name (not really, that name would have gotten me bullied and my parents aren't that cruel), but I can't help feeling that you've jumped in a bit too much here. It took me a lot of paragraphs to actually grasp what was going on in this because at first, I had no idea who Dara was, what she was running from, who she was with, that who she was with were actually dogs, that she was mentally communicating with those dogs e.t.c. With all those details being important and with me not grasping them very early on, as you can image, I got a wee bit confused. Yes, okay, I have the attention spam of a goldfish's corpse, but I'm sure other readers may find themselves as confused as I was at the beginning of this.

I also find it kind of weird how Dara was caught. The corner shop guy called the police, right? Dara must have known that people were looking for her, so wouldn't she know that it was kind of a stupid move to buy Smarties 'nd stuff in a corner shop? Obviously she would have to buy food for herself and what not, but wouldn't the sensible thing be not to buy anything until she gets to London, where she was on her way to? She is only 13 so I guess she might not have thought of that, but hey, she seems pretty clued up so I thought she'd be more sensible than that. But then maybe I'm just overthinking this, I don't know.

The only other critique I have for you is regarding the dogs. Now I love the idea of Dara communicating with them and what not, so I really want to get to know them better. Think of them just like human friends of your main character. They're all different with different personalities, different genders, different appearances e.t.c. and I want to see that. At the moment they're just dogs, and I can't really differentiate between them. If you show us their differences, we'll begin learning their traits and who they are as characters. I've no idea how relevant these dogs are, of course, and they could all fall off a roof and die in the next chapter (I'm so non-morbid, don't you just love it?). Then their personalities won't matter as much. I doubt that's going to happen though, and so in this chapter along with the ones that follow, I would like to find myself getting to know these dogs better as individuals.

Oh, and one more thing actually!

I bare my teeth at him, but he holds Jones tightly and says, ‘If you don’t behave, I’ll have to cuff you. Do you want that?’

‘Oh my, yes,’ I say. ‘You’ve discovered my deepest desire. Take me, officer, take me now.’


Okay, yes, this is pretty funny, but then when I actually think about what's happening it's kind of gross. Dara is 13, right? With that in mind, what she says to the police officer seems kind of cringey and inappropriate. I know 13 year olds are generally clued up with this kind of thing, but still... This seems awkwardly suggestive to me for a 13 year old. Plus the officer just rolls his eyes as a reaction. If I was a police officer and a 13 year old said that to me, I'd feel weeeeeeeeeelllll awkward. Just some food for thought.

Aaaaaaaaaaand I believe that's it. I've probably repeated what everyone else has said knowing my luck, but hey ho, there are my opinions for you! Critiques and smelly stuff like that aside, I did really enjoy this, and I found it very entertaining. I'm looking forward to reading the next chapter now, and I shall hopefully get to it later today as I'm off out now :)

Keep writing, Twity-McVitie,

xoxo Skins




User avatar
541 Reviews


Points: 370
Reviews: 541

Donate
Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:03 am
Lauren2010 wrote a review...



Hello Twit! And congratulations! You've won my 400th review (which is incredibly unimportant, but still!).

Of course you would trap me in with a first chapter. ;P There's so much interesting stuff in this, with the half-feys and the urban fantasy and the wolf-pack mentality between a girl and her bunch of dogs. The conceit itself is fantastic, and I applaud the originality! It definitely makes me want to keep reading more.

However, the beginning of this chapter is weak. It's good technique to start us as close to the action of the story as possible, to avoid unnecessary info-dumping and boring descriptions, but this is too close. It leaves us jarred, without a place to ground our feet in the story, and the fast pace keeps us from forming an attachment with the main character. When we aren't attached to the main character, we don't care when something serious/bad happens to them. Let's start with the very beginning:

They catch up with us just outside Chatham.

This is the first sentence of the chapter (and presumably the story, unless there's some mysterious prologue I haven't seen) and we don't know who 'they' or 'us' are. We also don't know why 'us' is running from 'they' and whether this is a good or bad thing. This is a lot of stuff not to know at the beginning of the story, and none of it isn't answered until at least a third of the way through the chapter.

The escape failed. I failed. That’s it, no use crying over spilt milk and all that stuff. Onwards and upwards.

Similarly, here we don't know what Dara is escaping from and why it matters that she's been caught. We don't know anything about her, this world, her predicament, etc and so we aren't able to sympathize with her being caught.

Also, her nonchalance and sarcasm that follows through much of this chapter is off-putting for a lot of the same reasons. We've only just met her, don't know anything about her, and see her complaining (and expressing emotions that we can't make sense of given her personality and her situation) about something we know nothing about. It makes her annoying, when we should be feeling for her and her loss.

This sort of thing is my biggest issue with this chapter, and it continues through an awful lot of it. It's well written, and the idea is compelling, but the way we are given information pushes us away rather than draws us in. We as readers need something to ground ourselves in, and need to be given an opportunity to bond, so to speak, with the main character so we can properly sympathize with her and be on her team as she encounters the events of the story. This could be fixed as easily as making this the second chapter, and giving a more introductive first chapter (perhaps set in one of those 8 days post-escape, where we can get an opportunity to meet Dara and her situation, as well as what it means for her to be part-fey and have this pack of dogs. Then when we get to this moment, we can be on her side and feel something when we see bad things happen to her.

The only other thing that bothered me was the friendliness of the cop. Dara is clearly an teen who is known as "unsettled" and consistently going against the law. The cop would not realistically be playing buddy with her, and the way he does this now makes it look like an obvious attempt to give a lot of information in a short space. There's no reason Dara can't tells us about her pack herself, and then the cop can act according to how the reader expects him to act.

Definitely let me know when you have more of this up, because I'm so intrigued! I want to know more, and your writing is so delicious and I know as I get to know her Dara's snarkiness is going to be my absolute favorite thing. :D

Keep writing!

-Lauren-




User avatar
933 Reviews


Points: 4261
Reviews: 933

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:51 am
Iggy wrote a review...



Hey! Iggy here to review.

Oh, pants. No. My heart plummets into my stomach. No. No.


I found it a bit off put that she automatically starts to panic. Is she guilty of something big? If not, then why is she freaking out so bad

Do I care enough to put up with months of metal in my mouth?


Wait, confusion. If Dara is part-fey, then any metal that comes into contact with her skin will scorch and kill her. Unless her human half repels it? Yeah, I think she's immune to metal, because she's also half human. Maybe you could explain that more, just to let the uneducated-on-urban-fantasy readers know what's going on?

So, Twit! Very, very interesting to read. I assume that I was not the only one shocked when the Pack turned out to be a pack of dogs? Here I was, thinking they were wolves! That was a good shocker, so kudos on that.

I think it's genius that, in the beginning, we think that the Pack is of wolves and thy this is an urban fantasy novel, then it just turns modern when Dara turns out to be a little girl with a pack of dogs, then urban fantasy again when her magic starts to act up. Curious! With that many surprises, I am intrigued to go on and read the next piece. Keep those up!

Chapter two, here I come! :)

~ Iggy.




User avatar
178 Reviews


Points: 652
Reviews: 178

Donate
Thu May 30, 2013 2:38 pm
Paracosm wrote a review...



Hey Twit! This is one of the best first chapters I've ever read. The pacing and tone are both excellent. The setting is also very intriguing. I love how the fairies aren't living in secret, like almost every other story involving them. Nicely done!

Some things did stand out that could be worked on. In the first third of the chapter, I assumed the Pack were all humans. Now, reading pack over it, it's fairly obvious they were dogs. But the first time, I just assumed they were people. Try to make it more clear that they are dogs, so that that shock doesn't come when Ginger noses her up.

Another thing you should consider working on is making the action scenes in the middle a bit more clear. They were exciting, but also slightly confusing. At times it was hard to infer where the characters were. Since it's a chase scene, these transitions are naturally slightly confusing. But I think you could clear them up so it's easier to tell when they are moving, and where they have moved to.

Your chapter is very well polished. It was hard to notice any grammatical errors or typos. I was mostly caught up in the story. My second read through didn't reveal any errors that I noticed. Nice! Keep up the good work, Twit! Don't let me miss the next chapter. I'm going to have an eye out for it!




User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 357
Reviews: 49

Donate
Thu May 23, 2013 11:05 pm
Jony wrote a review...



Hey! You requested a review in my thread so I am more than happy to oblige. Lets get started.

First off, I think that you could of built more in the beginning instead of just jumping into the cops finding out about her because it would give the reader a chance to see how she interacts with other people under normal circumstances in the beginning so they could relate to her more. It would also give you a chance to explain more clearly A. What a Fey is, for people who don't know. And B. Give a better description of what Dara looks like because for a little while I was under the impression that she was a dog and was confused when you started talking about her like she was a human.

I'm going to talk about the dialogue now. I think you should use " instead of ' just because (in my opinion of course) it looks more attractive and the average reader who has never seen that associated with dialogue would understand it better. But this is just my opinion and I like the look of " better.

On to story and characters. I think that the impression that Dara gives is bratty and almost pompous. But I'm not sure if thats what you want to have the readers see Dara. This isn't necessarily your fault though, it was the circumstances that you put her in when at the same time we are being first introduced to her. This can be easily solved, like I said, if you build more in the beginning so we see the real Dara before we see how she acts under pressure or how she acts around people she doesn't like. Because if you don't we may assume that's how she acts around everyone else since we have nothing else to base her on.

The story, I think, was lacking in substance. And what I mean by that is, it just doesn't give the reader (in my opinion) enough to latch onto and become interested in. I think that there is just no element of risk or excitement going on and it goes from action to complete neutrality with nothing leading it down so the reader has to adjust in an awkward way while reading. I also think that her being captured shouldn't be so anti-climactic, she acts like it is no big deal and it feels that it just fizzles out, like there was no chase or action in the first place.

The dialogue, in terms of how it's written, seems like you were fishing for it. No offense of course, this is just a suggestion. But it seems like the driver is extremely chatty with her and her likewise, I just find this strained and forced because Dara was just caught, and she should have better things to think about and feel than talking with the driver. Who I think you could give a better description of.

All in all though, I think that this is a great piece and that you should definitely continue it because I think it has a lot of potential and I think you have beautiful descriptions of the world around your character. Thank you for requesting in my thread and I hope you have an awesome day!




User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Tue May 21, 2013 10:41 pm
Aley wrote a review...



Elise will be as mad as a cat in a mangle, and I can’t go back, not when I’ve got so close.

There's something off with the syntax here. it's with "when I've got" I think it needs gotten. I've indicates I have and have requires the affix hop of en, so got needs to be gotten.

Over the road, up the station steps and onto the platform, scattering pigeons and passengers, and there’s the bridge and we’re up and under the covered shelter and down the steps on the other side.

I think you need a word next to station. I think we're talking a train station but with cops involved, my first impression was a police station and it seemed odd. I'd suggest the first time you mention the station, add bus, train, etc. It will give us a clearer impression of what is going on here.

It’ll be awful when we get back. Last time I ran away, Elise and Emma stopped my dance classes for a month, and that time I’d only been gone a few days. What’ll they do this time? Stop them for a year? It’s Elise who’ll be doing all the shouting, though. Elise is a dragon. She thinks because she’s half-fey as well that means she and I have a special bond, and together we can fight for equality and raise the minimum wage and make the traffic lights turn green whenever we want to.

I think a lot of the equality Elise wants is all in her head. She was probably deprived as a child, so now thinks that everyone else is deprived. Still, playing on that ended up with me getting Mick and Merry, so I guess having Elise around isn’t all bad. Just not very good.

Most of this information can be cut. First thing first, why do we need to hear she's running away from dance classes? It makes her situation seem less dire. I don't understand why she's running away. Next, we will see that Elise is a jerk when we meet her. If we can't determine for ourselves what these characters are like, then the trait she assigns them might not be accurate. That being said, we can always read too much into a character as well if we are approaching them with a preconceived notion of who they are and what they will be like.

Overall I understand what a fey is. I don't need any further explanation. It is a magical humanoid who has connections with the world, magically, depending on what their specialty is. Our main girl is a dog lover, but the driver isn't. The driver has something else going on, maybe with fire considering the red hair and the AC comment. They may or may not all have something to do with fire considering she made sparks. We'll need to meet more of them to really determine their powers and limits going along with them, but I like how you introduced them to us just by dropping it on us. I'm not sure why you're making this so close to home with references to brand foods and familiar cities but that is your choice and I'm not going to patronize you for that when you're choosing it to be that way.

In the US, we use "quotation marks" for talking instead, but I know that there is a style where 'these' are used instead. Watch your punctuation, some of them are in the wrong spot, meaning you're missing spaces after periods. Also you may want to double check how people think about dogs. Most people are really friendly to dogs and love them, so having them called mongrels in the paper really would be bad press. They would probably use the official names of the dogs such as Boarder Collie, German Shepard, Golden Retriever mix.

If you have anything else you want me to review, you know where my page is ^.-




User avatar
739 Reviews


Points: 32546
Reviews: 739

Donate
Fri May 17, 2013 12:38 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx wrote a review...



Hey there Twit ^_^
A few things to get things kick-started:

"I feel it lurch up inside like too many Dr Peppers on an empty stomach,"
I really like this analogy :)

"I bend down and stroke his long black ears. Yes, Mick, it’s okay. We’re going back. It’s okay. "
For some reason, I really love your main character right here. She is so comforting, like a mother.

I cock my head. ‘That’s to bratty children and idiots at Christmas.’
The taxi conversation is great and I really like your MC's sense of humor ^_^

Ok, so first off, I really really like this. A lot! The beginning scene played like a movie in my head, I think it was a wonderful idea to start the story off with a chase scene and then slow it down later in the police car/taxi rides. Also, very clever how you stuck a newspaper in the backseat to explain a bit more background info that way x) It worked well!

I love your main character's sense of humor, she's super sarcastic but not in an obnoxious stuck-up way. Really she's pretty cool and I like how the taxi driver was getting a good laugh with her even if the cops didn't xD I read a lot of teen MC's that have this attitude about them where they think it's ok to just be rude to whomever they please because, like, they're the main character and they're just way cool like that. Thankfully, I'm not getting that kind of vibe here. So far, your MC is very likable which is awesome!

Ok, so now onto some areas of improvement. There's not much, so no worries xD Just a few things I'm confused about, and by the looks of the other comments, I'm not the only one!

Originally I thought fey were like a species of fairies, and here I don't think this is the case. The only thing I can assume is that it has something to do with animal or magical blood. You should probably find a way to slip in a general definition of fey very soon, or in this first chapter if you can.

There was a point in the chase scene where you said there were sparks flying from Dara's fingernails... was that literally? I have no idea xD

As far as the dogs go, are they part human? Their attitudes seem very human-like. For some reason I am imagining Ginger and them having both human and dog sides, like they can transform like werewolves. Is Dara's half-fey power the ability to communicate with dogs?

There was a comment about the driver's red hair and bushy eyebrows making him look fey... I didn't really get it so you should elaborate x)

Ok, so that's about all the nitpicking I had. Basically, you should clear up this confusion about fey and these species and magical powers and all that very soon. It's ok to wonder, "ok, so what are these dog people and fey" for a little bit, but really it should get cleared up asap.

Hope this was helpful! Let me know if you've got any comments/questions and also be sure to let me know when the next chapter's up ^_^




User avatar
72 Reviews


Points: 2047
Reviews: 72

Donate
Mon May 13, 2013 2:33 pm
GrapeNerd wrote a review...



Hi, I am here to review this fabulous work of art!

First off, I don't know what a fey is, so I got a little bit lost at some points, I suggest you add in a bit of an explanation on what a fey is. Second, I love her exclamation! "Oh, pants" that really made me laugh. I think you should add in a bit more detail about the place she is currently in, or the men's faces. Nonetheless, I think this could be a great novel! Keep working!
GrapeNerd




User avatar
68 Reviews


Points: 505
Reviews: 68

Donate
Sun May 12, 2013 12:18 am
cgirl1118 wrote a review...



So far so good. I love the idea for this except there is one little mistake. When it says, "Someone yells something; someone grabs my rucksack." You can change it to "Someone yells something and grabs my rucksack."

And just one question. I understand that Dara is half-fey but are the others werewolves or something?





Who, being loved, is poor?
— Oscar Wilde