The Flight of Icarus

by lilcanich

"The Flight of Icarus"
A Free Verse Poem by Ben

The day began with the rising sun, and the son rose
Awoken from his slumber, he sought out an adventure, from which he never would return

Icarus had wings of wax upon his back
And his father and he flew across the sky

Daedalus said unto his son, fly not too close to the sun my son
For your wings are made of wax, and will melt
But his son ignored him as the sun rose

Icarus the son being brave and brash and bold
Discredited the advice of the old
As he soared high, high into the sky

As the son rose, the sun began to set
He yelled to his son, as the sun began to fade
The wings from wax made
On the back of the son dripped

The sun began to fade as the son engulfed in flames hit the waves

The white foam into the
Foaming, flaming, swirling abyss

And so ends the flight of Icarus

Questions/Comments/Concerns/Flames?

Sincerely,

Ben

Wherethewindgoes wrote a review...

Salutations.

I apologize for the very long wait. I sort of inadvertently left YWS for a little while, but now I have returned, so I have come to review!

So, the first thought I have about this poem is that it doesn't seem particularly, say, new. Original, if you will. It's the retelling of a famous story, and it doesn't really add anything on to it. Retelling a myth is fine, but it's best if you have some sort of new twist on it, a new way to look at it, a new moral to draw from it, or even a different ending or something. You could even just have the same story but put it in rhyming verse. But here, you don't really have any of that. It's free verse, and it doesn't have much in regard to poetic devices and such (although the "sun" and "son" is a bit clever) so it just seems kind of...bland, I guess. I don't know. But I feel as if there should be something more.

This sort of leads into my next point. A lot of your descriptions seem to be a little, say, simple. There aren't really that many of them, and the ones you do have don't have much metaphor or simile. I would suggest spicing up your poem by adding more and better descriptions; this would also help make up for the fact that it is a retelling.

That said, here are a few sentence-level thoughts:

I don't know that you should put in "from which he never would return", because that sort of takes away all the tension. Admittedly, a lot of people probably know the story, but whatever.

Icarus had wings of wax upon his back

This is an example of something that could be described in more, say, complex language.

But his son ignored him as the sun rose

I feel as if, in order to emphasize this thing with the "sun" and "son", you're ending up sounding a bit repetitive, and sort of sacrificing the flow and sound of the poem. I would say that's more important than the play on words, but I suppose that's your choice.

Discredited the advice of the old
As he soared high, high into the sky

The word "discredit" is defined as "To harm the good reputation of (someone or something)." This would perhaps make sense if Icarus had disproved his father or something of the sort, but here it doesn't really fit. I think you want something more like "ignoring".

As the son rose, the sun began to set
The wings from wax made
On the back of the son dripped

The "he" in the second line refers to Daedalus; however, you just talked about Icarus, so it doesn't really make sense to then use "he" for Daedalus. I would suggest just putting his name instead.

The white foam into the
Foaming, flaming, swirling abyss

And so ends the flight of Icarus

In the middle two lines here, the phrase "the foam in the foaming abyss" is kind of redundant and unnecessary, and cuts the flow of the poem a bit. I would suggest switching one of those out for a synonym.

So. As I said above, I really wish there was something more unique here, some sort of new take on the story. Even so, the writing itself would be better off with a little more description and such. It seemed that a lot of it (such as "wings from wax made") attempted to fit the mood of the poem by sounding kind of, say, oldish, but...that wasn't really working; it was noticeable, and ended up detracting from the writing.

Well, I suppose that's really all I have to say. The poem has the potential to be really good, and I think you do have that capability, but there are a few things that, if improved, would make the poem much better than it is. Good luck with any editing or future poems!

Once again, I'm really sorry for the delay. If you ever need another review, feel free to PM me or post on the thread, and I will (hopefully) complete the review a lot quicker than before.

Valedictions,

Wherethewindgoes

skorlir wrote a review...

Take with salt. Mind with care.

This is a little redundant. The sun is rising; the sun rose.
I would delete the second clause - "The day began with the rising sun."

I would use "awakened" over "awoken" here - awakened is more traditionally correct.

Icarus had wings of wax upon his back

Okay, it gets boring here. No offense, but this is where I start to skim through your poem. Your sentence structure is predictable, your story lacks expectation, and the flow is a little confused. But, most of all, you have succumbed to the triumvirate succubi of the "Egregious 'P's." What are those? Words like "and" (which you use twice in the second line here). Egregious "P" words always (yes, always) lengthen and confound good ideas and make decent sentences drivel.

See here on the evils of the Egregious "P"s.

"Daedalus said unto his son... my son." This is redundant. I would remove either "unto his son" or "my son" (and preferably the fragment with more words).

Remove "and will melt" - suggest this somehow, be implicit and thrilling (like "You must, you must, care for yourself/The closer the sun, the closer to Hell!"). But don't use my example, because it sucks in the context.

But his son ignored him as the sun rose

Make this sentence fun! So his son is ignoring him, right? Say something like "But Icarus' eyes were upturned/his ears were to the wind/his father's cries were lost to him." But not that, because it rhymes (I always accidentally do that, I suck at free-verse).

Remove "being!" (Add a comma.) Conjugations of "to be" are egregious and their usage in literature incorrigible! I have to shout this because ONE MUST SHOUT AT EVIL TO SCARE IT AWAY!
Of course, not all conjugations and instances of "to be" are unnecessary and evil. But when one is, it must die, be cremated, spread upon a southly wind and left to be sorted out in Hell. This is one of those times.
Sometimes people ask me "why are these things evil/egregious/incorrigible/terrible/disgusting/disturbed/Hellish/demonic/deplorable/etc.?"
I usually give examples, but not today. Just take your work, remove the things I shout "egregious" at, and see which you think sounds better. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Discredited the advice of the old
As he soared high, high into the sky

Verb tense here is incorrect. Change "discredited" to "discrediting." And the "as" in the second line is egregious.

As the son rose, the sun began to set

If the sun just rose, it cannot immediately set, can it? This is confounding.

What is the antecedent for he? There is none in this stanza. Say "Daedalus."

The wings from wax made
On the back of the son dripped

The entire clause "from wax made on the back of the son" is unnecessary. Delete this; it adds nothing to your work, being neither descriptive nor introductory. Try something else (don't just delete those words and leave it truncated).

This line is quite poetic. But it rhymes. And it does not break. Hemingway-esque the latter fact, and not free verse the first. You really diverge from your structural theme here, which could be a strong and good thing for the poem - but not yet. I like it, so don't go all changing it, but keep in mind that it does diverge dramatically, and you must compensate for that by strengthening the earlier stanzas.

The white foam into the
Foaming, flaming, swirling abyss

"The white foam into the foaming..." Foam here gets redundant. And does "The white foam" represent Icarus? This is a confusing stanza. There is no precedent for the white foam, and why would foam go into the foaming abyss if it is a characteristic thereof?

And so ends the flight of Icarus

"And so... the..." Egregiousness. "So ends Icarus, as ends his flight." Something curt, blunt, demanding. This sentence is not.

It's a little rough, but nonetheless a beautiful retelling of an old story. I think it can become a capable, if not excellent, poem. You must not only think of structure and technical strength, however; note that you do not really have a "pull." There is no great insight into the fundamental story, no new perspective. It is just the retelling. You can make it more, and I suspect perhaps you shall.

Until then!

~Skorlir

Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:16 am
EnchantedPanda wrote a review...

Hello lilcanich,

EnchantedPanda here to review for you! You've already had some pretty thorough review so I'll just give you my general impressions of this poem.

Not sure that I totally fell in love with your rhyme scheme here. The rhyming kind of threw the poem of balance and it your were completely inconsistent with the occurrence of the rhyming. There's nothing wrong at all with using rhyming but I would only suggest using it if you are sure you can pull it off properly. Here it just felt rough and not very smooth. The purpose of rhyming is to help with remembrance of a poem and to help with the flow of a poem and for me this did neither. I would suggest using more consistency and accuracy when deciding on the placement of your rhyming words or avoiding rhyming this altogether because, right now, it's doing little or nothing to actually help with the effectiveness of this poem.

I like that you have a story going on behind your words and you did tell it quite well considering this was through poem format. I would suggest using some more in depth ideas to contrast with this simple and plain story. You have touched on some nice themes here with the idea of control and consequences of disobedience but I feel as though this could benefit from a certain twist or spin on the cliche overused message of obeying your elders because they know best. As a reader- I've heard this message many times before and it doesn't feel original.

Overall I thought this was of decent quality if not more than a little rough around the edges. I'm aware that this is free verse but regardless there is no problem with doing minor edits if you think it will help benefit the effectiveness of this poem. Keep up the good writing though. This was not bad at all- I have been harsh with my critique. Please keep up the writing and let me know if you'd like to discuss anything in this critique or if you have any other pieces of writing you'd like a fresh view on. keep on writing!

From EnchantedPanda

Hi lilcanich! I saw this a while ago, but didn't have time to comment. Now it's Review Day, so here's my two cents.

The wordplay between sun and son was interesting, if a little overdone, but otherwise, I have to concur with Rosey. As I read this, I thought "Um, yeah that's the myth". It tells the story, but doesn't really add much to our understanding of it.

This is a good story with several themes you could focus on if you want to work with this some more (technology, ambition, the father/son relationship, immortality). Use a different vantage point: Daedalus, Icarus, the wings, the sun. If you could make the reader think about this in a new way, that could be very cool.

Overall, this has potential, but just feels like it's saying something I've already heard before. You could put a new twist on the story if you wanted and I think it would really stand out. Whatever you do, Keep Writing! :)

Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello. Here as requested.

The biggest thing that struck me with this was the repetition. You use very similar words close to each other for reasons that escape me. You seem to be attempting wordplay with it but the wordplay is highly noticeable. Highly noticable wordplay tends to detract from the poem, because you begin to focus on the wordplay and not the work itself.

The story is also extraordinarily simple. Past the wordplay, you're just giving events as they happen. I'm seeing an attempted metaphor with sun and son, but it's murky. You alternate the sun's imagery with Icarus as Daedalus' son, like you're trying to form them into the same thing. I'm not exactly sure how much I enjoy that.

Now, simple narrative can be good, but there needs to be something there to compliment simplicity. Right now, it just looks like you're trying to compensate for the simplicity.

Your rhythm is also all over the place. To take the second couplet, the first line is highly lyrical, with the wax/back rhyme (through a long a sound), meanwhile your second line is clumsy, unnatural (to most), has "and" repeated to the point you stumble upon the second because they're so close together, and doesn't continue the rhyme of the first line, either by ending with a long a internal sound, or a -ck to match "back". You have this sort of flow discrepancy across the majority of the stanzas; some lines flow beautifully, while others read as clunky, unnatural, and/or redundant (depending on how much repetition or similar words are in the lines).

Your line lengths are in a similar "all over the place" boat. Poetry tends to flow much better when lines are about the same length, or within a certain variance of length that's within a few words of each other. One or two extraordinarily long lines throw off the poem visually, for me, and don't contribute to a nice look or flow to the work.

I figure you did a lot of this consciously, but I'm struggling to find out why. My impression of this poem is you're overcompensating for a very simple narrative that doesn't cover much of a timespan with fancy words and tricks. One thing to keep in mind is I love poetry that actively manipulates my emotions to invoke feeling and a perception on a particular event/character (conveying the sadness of a person, the joy of a dance, ect) and I'm just not feeling this one.

Do PM me if you have any questions or comments. I'd love to find out your side of the poem to know why you did what you did.

~Rosey

lilcanich says...

Thank you very much for your critique, you are correct in your analysis. I did do the word play consciously, keep in mind, this was a freeverse, completely made up on the spot, my friend recorded me and I transcribed exactly what was said when originally recited the poem. I apologize for the simplicity of the poem, as most of my poems are three times this poem's length, but as I said before, this was simply impromptu.

Thanks once again,

Ben

Long poems can be good. I'd honestly prefer a good long poem than a short half baked one. And complex can be short just like simplicity can be long.

Niteowl gave you better advice on how to improve this poem than I did. I would suggest you follow hers.

mightaswellbuyacat wrote a review...

Okay Icarus is one of my favourite stories^.^ which is slightly morbid...oh well. Anyways on to the review! Your first line is my favourite, how you play with "son" and "sun" in brilliant! There was only two issues I spotted. One was in a line you capitalized "Sun" which is a no no. The other was that the line "And his father and he flew across the sky" I had to read twice. I would suggest a change to maybe "And he with his father flew across the sky". It just makes a little more sense in my brain is all. Another thing which is just personal opinion is that even though this poem is a free verse you should perhaps try to balance how many lines are in a stanza. Other than that this is a powerful and magical piece. :)
Happy Writing!

lilcanich says...

Thanks for your input, the "Sun" vs "sun" was actually a typo when I uploaded it, and didn't really notice it. As I said in my response to Rosey, this was an impromptu poem that my friend recorded my reciting, so some of the verses with unnecessary "and's" as well as the order of the line in question, were spur of the moment decisions.

Thank you very much for your critque, I will have that typo fixed shortly.

Ben

In the winter months, snowstorms and rainfall in the Patagonian Ice Fields can drastically affect the landscape. Worsened by heavy winds, such storms can reduce visibility and lead to glacial calving, ice collapses, and avalanches. During these conditions, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian