The Magic In Me: A New Life

by ChimeraMania

Being different is an understatement. Being awesome is an overstatement. I know that I am different, but awesome is a whole other subject. Some people will agree and say I'm different. They will even disagree and say I'm awesome.

I know what my girlfriend would say.

"Babe girl, you know you're awesome. I just don't say that cause your my girlfriend either."

I will never understand how she knows actually what I'm thinking, but that's exactly what I was thinking.

Sometimes I get to think maybe she should be in this school right along with me.

The school of the gifted. The school mainly consist of people who are special. It doesn'tmatter if they use their gift for good or evil. I like to think of it as right and wrong. Their really isn't a right nor wrong way to use a gift given to you.

Too bad you don't know your gifted until someone comes by and tell you. Then the person doesn't even tell you how many gifts you have. You have to figure that out all by yourself.

Like me, the first two just came to me. The third freaked me out so bad I think I fainted.

Either way, I'm glad I'm here. Meeting new people is always fun. The worst part is meeting the people who don't like or want to kill me.

The biggest two fighters this school have are Firecracker and Ricky. They're not too bright either, but I guess the person they're working for doesn't mind. As long as they kill me, their 'puppet master' is happy.

Coming to this school for me means stepping in some serious magic. I'm just glad my Guardian Angel has my back, sometimes.

Looks like I do have to listen, learn, and understand in order to get out of this mess.

Tue May 28, 2013 2:38 am
skorlir wrote a review...

Well, I don't think I got here in time. :)
But I'm here, and I think that is what counts.

Take with salt; mind with care. Don't be offended if I'm harsh - it's just the way I review.

Being different is an understatement. Being awesome is an overstatement.

There's this rhetorical thing about conjugations of "to be:" do not use them where they can be avoided (at least in English). In some languages, the conjugations of "to be" are different and beautiful. Like French: "Etre" can be "suis," "es," "est," "sommes," "sont," so forth. In English, which is the language we speak, "to be" is just ugly and painful and superfluous. "I am as could be one which is how one might think of being were one to be such as I am," or "many would think I be different, but such I am." Pardon my hyperbole, but I think you get the point.

I know that I am different, but awesome is a whole other subject.

There are some kindly reviewers who have suggested that "whole other," while incorrect grammar, might be justified by your narrative tone. Actually, it makes your writing juvenile (no offense). Instead of "a whole other," just say "another."

I also have the opportunity here to introduce my nearly repetitive lecture on the "egregious 'p's." In the above sentence, you write "I know that I am different." The word "that" is an egregious "p" - a preposition - and so I would tell you, without hesitation, to remove it. "I know I am different" is a more active clause, with better flow, than "I know that I am different." I have a whole weblog on the egregious "p"s (prepositions are not the only ones) and why they are evil here:

The Egregious "P"s Lecture (not really a lecture, I promise - more like a paragraph).

Some people will agree and say I'm different. They will even disagree and say I'm awesome.

Remove "will" and "and say." Compare:
"Some people will agree and say I'm different."
"Some people agree I am different."

Which seems stronger (so to speak)?

This is an instance where colloquial speech meets narrative form. It sucks for writers. And it sometimes sucks for readers.

A few tips: don't try to make things sound perfectly colloquial. I realized one day that, if I wrote things exactly as they came from my lips, and everyone had to read those things exactly that way, I would never become anything. Why? Because nobody would read past the first few sentences. Humans suck at speaking. This is why writers generally write characters with perfect locution - even if those characters are uneducated or stupid (excepting common American historical portrayals of blacks). Otherwise, it is hard to read. Anyway, here is what I would do: change "Babe" to "Baby," move "just" after "that," make "cause" into "because," and correct "your" to "you're."

Second half of that sentence. TL;DR. From "but," just say "she does." "I don't know how, but she does."

Unless your character is a hick, or is meant to be quaint, remove "get to" and "right along." I can't help but read that and see a fella (or lass) leaning against a faded blue pickup with a cattail lolling from his or her lips, speakin' all slow-like and waiting for the heat or the devil to spur them to move, whichever comes first.

The school of the gifted. The school mainly consist of people who are special. It doesn't matter if they use their gift for good or evil. I like to think of it as right and wrong. Their really isn't a right nor wrong way to use a gift given to you.

The school of the gifted? The only school of the only gifted? All alone in the world, all in one place? You can either capitalize "School" and "Gifted" so that it is a proper noun, which would make more sense, or remove "the" from the name entirely.

Also,
"consist"

-> "consists"
"People who are special"

-> "special people" (and consider the word choice on special - perhaps "different" or "unusual" or even "gifted" again)
"they use their"

-> "one uses one's"
"It doesn't matter... evil. I like to think of it as right and wrong"

-> "It doesn't matter... evil; right or wrong, as I see it"
"Their really in't a right nor wrong way to use a gift given to you"

-> "There is no correct way to use one's gifts."

Note the last sentence incorrectly uses "their" in place of "there," and "nor" in place of "or." And it contradicts your previous sentence about how "good and evil" is "right and wrong" to you...

You are is you're. Your indicates possession. Correct those mistakes. Remove "that" from the last sentence - it is an egregious "p," after all.

Non sequitur? What are you talking about here? I cannot find the antecedent to "the first two" and "the third," nor can I find a precedent for the discussion.

Either way of what? There are no two options presented above this sentence, and so "either" makes no sense.

Change "biggest two" to "two biggest." Remove "either." Remove the quotes around puppet master - make it literal, if you are insulting whomever this is, and don't suggest those words belong to someone else.

Sometimes?

You did not really introduce a mess. And the sentence is trite. "listen, learn, and understand" - three really good things, but better off implicit. Show situations or reasons listening, learning, and understanding are necessary, and allude more classily (not a word, I know) to characters like the "puppet master." There is no explanation for that character, and no discussion of his or her minions either, save that they are the two biggest fighters at the special school for the gifted.

You have a good spin on a Potteresque theme here, but you fail to create a drawing prologue. This is, in general, and excellent exploratory piece - you adopt some complex and necessary literary devices, such as protagonist and antagonist, relationship construction, spoken word and tone, and so forth. If you can better meld these things into a coherent introduction, you will have a pulling prologue for what hopes to be an excellent shelf-jumper.

Don't take me too seriously. No one has made that mistake yet, but don't be the first. I may review harshly, but it is with the aim to improve, and not to destructively criticize. :)

~Skorlir

Kale wrote a review...

Hello, SherraeWilson, and happy Review Day.

The one thing about this prologue (I am assuming it is a prologue) is that it jumps all over the place. It starts out being about how different and not awesome (or maybe) the narrator is, jumps to the narrator and her girlfriend being in different schools, then jumps to the admissions process, then jumps to people wanting to kill the narrator, then to the biggest fighters in the school, then jumps to magic and Guardian Angels, and then stuff about doing vague stuff to get out of a mess.

That is a lot of jumping, and while you could cover all those topics smoothly in a single section, you need better transitions between each of those topics. Right now, there are some hints of transition (like with the killing part, but the connection comes at the end instead of at the beginning where it would help lead into the topic), but there need to be more than just hints of transitions. It would also help if you either gave more specifics or avoided vaguely mentioning plot spoilery events that will occur later in the story to give this prologue a better sense of grounding and focus. Right now, everything is all over the place, and the vagueness for the sake of vagueness is pretty transparent (and a bit annoying).

Prologues tend to get skipped by a lot of readers because of spoilery and/or overly vague info, and so if you'd like people to read your prologue, make it more relevant (including more concrete details is one way) and more interesting (depicting a scene rather than having a character vaguely reminisce and foreshadow). You might also want to consider whether or not you need a prologue at all. Not all stories do.

In any case, at the very least, transitioning between all the points you cover is a must.

fireheartedkaratepup wrote a review...

I should probably have an introduction.

People say this all the time, and you're talking in a narrative voice, so--I'm conflicted. To me, it looks awkward, because "whole other" isn't correct grammar. It is, however, very common. I would write it "whole n'other," but that could just be a different kind of slang.

I don't know. Normally I'm all for leaving slang in, but the placement looks awkward. Consider revising.

I just don't say that cause your my girlfriend either."

I ddman helped a bit on this one! You should probably switch "don't" and "just." "Just don't" indicates you don't want to do something--ex, "I just don't think it's a good idea." In your context, you'd want to say "I don't just say..." because the emphasis is on, "I really mean this. I'm not saying it just to say it."

It doesn'tmatter if they use their gift for good or evil. I like to think of it as right and wrong. Their really isn't a right nor wrong way to use a gift given to you.

Separate "doesn't" and "matter." "Their" should be "there;" the right and wrong doesn't belong to anyone, it's just there.

Too bad you don't know your gifted until someone comes by and tell you.

You're trying to that "you are gifted." That's a contraction, so it should be "you're" instead of "your."

The biggest two fighters this school have are Firecracker and Ricky.

What has the fighters? The school has the fighters. School is singular, so it should be "has" instead of "have."

Interesting startup. Could be a good story someday. For now, just stay in school, keep writing, and work on your grammar.

Good job.

Thu May 02, 2013 7:16 am
planve says...

Ohhhhhh...why? I was totally getting into it. Reading it was so much fun for me. The only thing which made me sad was the fact that it was soooooo short. I really wanted to read more even though i knew it was a prologue.
Also, there are one, two or three gramatical errors in there, which i know you've already seen. Like in some places you used "their" instead of "they are" or "they're".
But all in all, it was great. On to the next one.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:11 am
Dreamery wrote a review...

This looks like it's shaping up to be a very interesting story. From what I got from it, the main character, whoever it may be, has a lot of thoughts on his mind but he doesn't like to say it aloud, but whoever this 'she' is can hear them. I like this idea about magic.

Also, I also enjoy the fact the tone is very lighthearted, in a way, but a little ominous at the same time, if that makes sense at all.

There are some things that I've noticed that you could do to improve it. First off, I think that this chapter, or prologue, could be longer. It could have a little bit more detail. Tell us more about the school. More about the main character here, and how he feels. Describe to us how he feels. Tell us who Firecracker and Ricky are. But you don't have to tell us who they're working for yet. That creates suspense! You're not telling us enough, so that's why it's so short. Tell us more!

I found a few of grammatical mistakes.

"'Babe girl, you know your awesome.'" Instead "your," it should be "you're."

"'I just don't say that case your my girlfriend either.'" I believe instead of "case" you meant "'cause."

"To bad you don't know your gifted until someone comes by and tell you. " It should be "too" instead of "to."

"Well the person they're working for does, but I don't know why." There should be a comma after "well." I think it really helps the flow and lighthearted tone.

I hope my review was more helpful than harsh.

ChimeraMania says...

I like your review

Youngwriter724 says...

wow. i like the way you write, is this going to be a Novel or short story? either way it was good. your style is sort of poetic. Good work.

ChimeraMania says...

its going to be a Novel and thank you so much.

The true adventurer goes forth aimless and uncalculating to meet and greet unknown fate.
— O. Henry (William Sydney Porter)