z

Young Writers Society



NaPoWriMo #2

by StoryWeaver13


I dreamt I met a boy in a showroom, a gallery
of mangled, grotesque paintings, and he smiled
with an impish grin and called the calamity his own.
How afraid I would have been, had he not looked
so proud of the chaos he’d created.
 
I think he said something of dimensions – of lines,
 little threads that we can’t see, that pull at us like puppets,
and I watched the red paint of the canvas crack and dry,
and the boy...he seemed to be breaking...
 
I don’t know why I didn’t fear him; I think it was
his honesty, and the fact that he let the madness drip,
drip, drip through his fingers so that I would not be
so surprised to hear that the rosy paint was made of blood,
because it hurt him, but because it was so true
that I could see his fine intentions.
He did not hide himself.
 
No, I knew him before we spoke, and the shy, clever boy
painted red on the white,  and wistfully, he said he wished
 that it was not in his nature to destroy something so pure
as a placid canvas. No, but humans, we don’t admire
the infinite potentials of a wide white frame –
we admire its destruction. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 5524
Reviews: 56

Donate
Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:21 am
dianneece wrote a review...



Wow. That was astonishing to read, which is a great accomplishment really. I don't mean that in the sense that I'm some sort of literary snob or anything, but I find that I'm very judgmental of poetry and I come to conclusions quickly about people based on how well they write and portray poetry. Your poem is just amazing to me.
I wanted to say that the beginning drew me in and created a sense of surrealism that matched the theme of the poem perfectly. The description is not overtly displayed and the ease with which you write only helped to accentuate the tone that I perceived. Something that really caught my eye, however, was how often the speaker of the poem had to explain and expand on the thoughts they had about where they found themselves in the dream and the people they interacted with.
Of course, the ending left me breathless. I especially loved the second to last line: "...we don't admire the infinite potentials of a wide white frame..." and I have a feeling it's because it's vague and nothing in it is concrete. Also, hats off to you for ending on the perfect word.




User avatar


Points: 590
Reviews: 4

Donate
Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 pm
DestineeHoward says...



I find this poem absolutely amazing. Although, it is a little difficult to read, I feel the meaning of it. I don't find it weird, I find it interesting. I hope to see many more poems from you, as this was one of the best I have read!




User avatar
241 Reviews


Points: 286
Reviews: 241

Donate
Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:54 pm
Jonathan wrote a review...



Hello there here is a Jordin with a review hahaha I will defeat this beautiful but viscus poem I hope that it helps. :D

Well it is kind of hard to read I think, by the time I was at the end I got the beginning all mixed but anyways I can read it over OK good I think this is strange seeing as I don't have a good vocabulary some of the words don't make any sense to me but I can use the context. ;)

Next here what do you mean by (I think he said something of dimensions – of lines,) but maybe its just me. :)

Nice I liked this here it was a bit weird granted but interesting. :D

Good work no really good work I would like to see more of you work.

Keep writing and good luck. :D

Until later good bye and all the best. :D

~Jon~ :pirate3:




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 343
Reviews: 10

Donate
Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:46 pm
bashland wrote a review...



This work ends on a very strong note, in my opinion. The last stanza brings a paradox to mind - the destruction inherent in creation. I think to myself that I should be mindful of what I'm doing destructively when acting on creative impulses. If it were my work, I would take out the first "No," in the last stanza, so that they all start with I. Maybe that's just a bit of my CDO tendencies poking through, but to me, an "I" statement is more powerful than a negation.
Overall, this is a piece I enjoy. Thought-provoking best describes my reaction to it. Thank you for posting this and good luck this April!
-Flutter





I'm a fledgling potato bird that lives in a nest in the rp forums
— Ley