12+

Do You Remember? (prologue)

by SushiSashimi333

Two children sat watching the tides crash against the old cliff. The girl’s snow white hair billowed in breeze, it used to be brown. The boy next to her had raven black hair, long and messy from years of city life. Smiles lit their dirty faces, it was a miracle that despite their lives of poverty and struggle to survive they could still smile.

"Aria, how is your medicine supply? You aren’t taking too much of it are you?” It was always like Derin to worry about her. Ever since she had been caught and poisoned by a Gardilla Beast her health had been wavering, some days were worse than others, but at least she had survived the poisoning.

"It’s perfectly fine Derin. There's really nothin' to worry about, all we need to focus on is having enough food.” Her smile didn’t reach her eyes, and she knew that he saw it. Despite the doubt in her heart she laughed. “Come on! Ya gotta learn to lighten up for once. Just enjoy life while ya still can.”

The sun had been a beautiful blend of pink and orange, just the perfect way to fall asleep. She just hadn’t realized how little time they still had.

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:28 am

Hmm, well that is a pretty relaxed start there for a prologue to have there, just two people sitting down and watching the world go bye there almost. I love the hints at their backstory there from the mentions of poverty, that does make this a lot more interesting of a start right here.

Okay, well now it really is starting to heat up nicely there, we've got mentions of beasts and poisonings and well, we get the sense that there's certainly a lot more happening than just relaxing and watching the tide. And we get a sense of the kind of relationship the these two people share as well, so that also adds a nice extra layer of things here which is also nice to see.

Hmm, from that we're certainly getting a good look at the sort of personalities we've got going too here. You can see that one of them is the more serious whereas the other one appears to be a bit more laid back. The mentions of the whole having to secure food thing also adds a few stakes there cause we can see what sort of situation these folks are in here.

Aaand, a lovely place to end things there, nice haunting message of things about to get horrible for everyone by the sound of it. At any rate, this was a pretty solid prologue here. This certainly sounds like a story that I'd read here. :D

Tue May 14, 2013 3:21 am
tgirly wrote a review...

Yay! Someone else who writes short chapters!
I love the description you have here, and you did a really good job of getting the conflict rolling right away in the prologue (though this feels a lot more like a first chapter than a prologue to me). I can't wait to find out what a gardilla beast is; sounds dangerous and awesome! There was one sentence that confused me though: "...that despite their lives of poverty and struggle to survive." I'm not sure that's a complete sentence, though I'm not sure what that's called. It needs something to despite the poverty and struggle to survive, you know?
I feel like the girl changes voices half way through her speaking; one moment she's using completely sentences and saying it's perfectly fine and the next she's all yas and gottas.
Wonderful prologue; great job on setting.

Aley wrote a review...

So I'm planning on reviewing pro-4. That means I'm starting here.

Since you already have a lot of advice, I'll keep this fairly short. First thing first, why aren't we seeing the capturing/poisoning as the prologue? The prologue, to me, is something that is pertinent to the story without being an obscure event. Look at the examples of TV shows. When they do recaps, they don't recap everything, they recap what is important to that episode. Well, same with a book. If you're going to do a prologue, look for something that is important to what is being written later in the book and capture on that. If that is the female character taking too much medicine too often, (in which case what are the side effects?) than write about that. If it is the fact that she needs the medicine to begin with, write when she was cured/started taking the medicine. Recapping in a recap is kind of like flashbacks in flashbacks, it gets confusing. That being said, I would like to take this chance to explain a little more about show don't tell, just because it helps me and maybe you'll get a light. So show don't tell is when we say things like: "Despite the doubt in her heart," instead of "She laughed slowly, with a lilting smile on her face." One is explaining what she's feeling/thinking or what the narrator/writer knows about the character. The other is explaining/showing what an audience might see from a stage production.

See you next time.

Well the main reason that I decided to write this was because of a really sad feeling, not because the plot came to me. So in a way this is like foreshadowing of what is to come, too bad I can't say what that is.

Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there!

I'm definitely intrigued. I absolutely love the fact that this is really short. The way I see prologues is that they should be short and sweet, giving away just enough information to get your reader hooked. You've done that beautifully. I know just enough about your characters to want to read on. I'm also interested to see what kind of world they live in. It sounds dangerous (my kind of place! lol).

There are some spots in here where I think you could've worded it better. I'm going to give you some suggestions. Feel free to use them or scrap them; I really don't care. Here ya go:

The girl’s snow white hair billowed in breeze, it used to be black. The boy next to her had raven black hair, long and messy from years of city life.

*I'm sure you've heard 'show don't tell'. I mean, it's been beaten into my mind so many times over the years that it's just a part of me now. I can't get away from it! Anyway, I think you can describe Aria's hair better than simply saying it was black. You could say 'The girl's snow white hair billowed in the breeze. It used to be black like the boy's next to her; long, raven hair, messy. The city life can do that to you'. I think it all flows better like that and you don't have to simply tell us 'hey, this girl used to have black hair okay?' See what I mean? (kinda exaggerated that last point there...)

Smiles lit their dirty faces, it was a miracle that despite their lives of poverty and struggle to survive.

*this sentence is just a bit confusing. I can't really tell what the miracle is that you're talking about. Of course, after reading it again I realize you're talking about the smiles on their faces. You could reword that to say 'Smiles lit their dirty face, a miracle really. Despite their lives of poverty and the struggle to survive, they still found time to smile'. Makes more sense to me this way.

It was always like Derin to worry about her.

*ek, too plain again. I like the idea though. In my novel (which I really haven't updated in forever...I need to do that. Anyway...) the main character has a male best friend who always wants to protect her. I like the protective guys because they can save the girl (or boy) from trouble, but also get in trouble themselves because of it. And then...where was I? I'm getting off track. So, I think this sentence would look better like this: 'She rolled her eyes at the question. Derin was always worrying about her'. And then you can put in the part about the Gardilla Beast.

*just wanted to pop in and say that I too am curious about this Gardilla Beast. I hope we see him (her?) later on!

“It’s perfectly fine Derin. There is really no need to worry about it. All we need to focus on is having enough food.” Her smile didn’t reach her eyes, and she knew that he saw it. Despite the doubt in her heart she laughed. “Come on! You gotta learn to lighten up for once. Just enjoy life while ya still can.”

*I just really like this paragraph. There's a nice balance of dialogue and description. Like therealme said below me, the thing about the smile is really cool. I think I've only read something like that a couple of times in my life. I personally love it. It's a non cliche way to say that someone really doesn't want to smile, but they feel they have to. Love it!

She just hadn’t realized how little time they still had.

*duh, duh, duuuhhhhhh. Great ending! Now you've really got me wondering what's going on.

I hope this review was helpful. Overall, this is a great start. Like I mentioned many times in this review, I can't wait to read the rest. I'll be heading over to the next chapters now.

**Noelle**

therealme says...

"Her smile didn’t reach her eyes"
I've never heard this before! It's very original and I love that part. Very well written too. I can tell you are a brilliant writer. Good job! :D I will make sure I read the first chapter.

Thank you! I hope you enjoy that one too. :)

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:32 am
SkylerLestrange wrote a review...

This is a good chapter but I would like to know more about the Gardilla Beast. What exactly is it?
I also like the names Derin and Aria. There very unique! Hopefully that means these two have something unique about them? I don't but this is a good story! A little bit short but meh! Short and sweet

Yeah, after I wrote this I was like "well aren't you duper (double super) short?" I will definitely bring the Gardilla back into play and explain more. Hopefully this turns out well.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:12 am
Soul8541 wrote a review...

Well this is really good so far. I like the detail at the beginning, but I would like to know what happened to the girl to make her hair white from black. I know it sounds weird but i really like the details. You might have done that to keep the reader going. If so then good job. Good dialogue too, I felt like both characters knew each other and interacted.
Well done I want to read more!

Yay! awesome, I'm so glad that you got that feel. I was kinda tired when I wrote this and was watching some show so not all of my focus was put into this. Thank goodness I got across everything that I wanted. Thank you.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:51 am
bashland wrote a review...

Let me begin by saying I can't wait to read more! You've already brought me in. I really enjoyed your use of colors to verbally paint the scene. I don't know if this was intentional, but this piece raised just as many questions as it answered, if not more. What kind of medicine? Is it addictive? Most of all, what makes them so happy despite their trying circumstances? I'm hazarding the guess of togetherness, but I don't want to put words in your mouth (pen?)

Please, keep it coming.

Definitely, I am glad that it made questions arise. Now explaining them in an interesting fashion, that shall be difficult. Hope you like the next one.

Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
— Dr. Seuss