16+

Devil's Trap (chapter 2)

by Rainheart

We have a place. It's broken down, with shattered glass and several beaten walls, but it serves its purposes. To hide Sophia Price. No one would ever look in here. No one will ever hear her if she tries to scream for help.
I sit on a rickety chair with an AR-15, just watching her. She's curled in the corner, not taking her wide eyes off of me. The white party dress she wears is now tattered and dirty, but it doesn't take away from her beauty. Dark hair billows over her shivering shoulders. Small hands clutch her bloody knees. Flawless skin rubbed in dirt and water from the leaky ceiling.
"I'm cold..."
What? Did she say something? I stand up, shouldering the AR-15. My boots stepping across the loose floorboards until I'm only a breath away from her.
"Did you say something?" I ask.
"I'm cold..." she repeats in a whisper.
Oh. It is rather cold in here. With the windows long since being replaced by a terribly patch job of different size wood planks, cold air flows in through the cracks and hardly ever leaves.
I nod, "Alright. I'll get you a blanket." Though she's our prisoner, here only for leverage against her father, I don't see the point in treating her badly. She hasn't done anything. It's not her fault her father is a bastard.
Leaving the room, I go down the rotting hallway, careful not to step in the holes and cracks in the floor. Dank and dirty, water dripping from the ceiling, trickling down the walls, musty and moldy smells. This place is definitely not a looker.
The blankets are in a tarp covered pile at the end of the hallway. I grab one and go back to the room.
Only, when I get there, I notice one thing. And one thing only.
Sophia Price is gone.
"Bitch." I punch the wall, cracking it.
Footsteps. Running. A crash. I smile. There was a reason we chose this place to hide her. If she tried to escape, there was no way she would get far. Not with all the loose and rotting floorboards. You would have to know this place from top to bottom to be able to get around without falling.
I happen to know this place very well.
Putting the AR-15 in the room, I go after Sophia.
Down the hallway, to the right, left, keep on going, another right, down some risky stairs. And there. Sophia Price is struggling to get to her feet after falling through a hole at the bottom of the stairs. I take my next steps slowly, careful not to make the same mistake Sophia did.
"Nice try," I call down to her. She's about to break free of the planks and rubble pinning her down. I move faster. When I reach the hole, I take one deep breath and jump down. I won't break these boards, I know. We're on the first level, the only one with a solid floor. It also gets flooded any time there's rain, so standing water is everywhere.
Sophia struggles faster. She gains her footing and starts to run, the bottom of the dress ripped enough to where it doesn't hinder her speed. I run after her, catching up quickly.
Reaching out, I grab her by the shoulders and pull her to a halt with me. Surprising me, she whips around and claws at my face with sharp fingernails. Blood is drawn. I grit my teeth, grab her wrists and slam her against the nearest wall. Dust falls. An old chandelier rattles.
"That's enough," I hiss, my face close to hers.
She struggles in vain for a few seconds, but once she realizes that she's not going anywhere, she becomes still and I drag her back to the room.
"Don't do that again," I say, letting go of her. "Or else I'll be forced to tie you up."
"Go ahead," Sophia snaps, glaring. She moves back to her corner, curling back up in the same fetel position as before. It's all an act, I realize. She's not as pathetic as she's making herself appear to be.
"Don't be so cruel," I warn, picking the AR-15 back up. "The others might not be as understanding as I am."
"Might I remind you who did the kidnapping in the first place, Jack," Sophia says. "I'm not the one who's cruel."
I frown at her, "How did you know my name?"
Sophia scoffs, "I'm not deaf. Or stupid."
Though I'm mildly impressed, I don't let it show. Sitting down, I aim the AR-15 at Sophia, "Try it again, and I'll be forced to shoot."
"You wouldn't. You need me for your pathetic rebellion."
"Don't be so sure."
We both fall silent after that. She goes to sleep and I wait for the others to return. We have a lot to discuss. Starting with our next move.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:06 am
Azirah wrote a review...

Before anything else, you made a common mistake in a few of your sentences.

[verb 1]ing, X does {verb 2}.

This means that verbs 1 and 2 are being done at the same time. Sometimes it doesn't make sense in your writing. How could he reach out and grab her shoulder at the same time? If he's reaching out, he's clearly not grabbing her shoulder yet.

Aside from that, I'll point out that this is moving too quickly for my taste. I feel as if you should afford the audience more time to savor the emotions that should be present in situations like this. I'd like to reiterate that I'd still like more thoughts and emotions from Jack, and more body language as well.

You're good at writing action-packed scenes, though - I'll give you that. However, this also proves to be a problem when you write everything else - you tend to treat them like they're full of action as well, staying brief and not really putting much feelings in. Like I said, everything moves too fast for the reader to actually get a grip on the emotions and thoughts that ought to be present. In fact, after this second chapter, I can't say I would care if Jack died, when by this point I should already be either clearly for/against Jack. Indifference is worse than hate. At least if I hate your narrator I might stick around in the hopes of seeing him die. If the reader doesn't care, then what's stopping the reader from tossing aside your story in favor of another? Nothing.

Try to establish a connection between your reader and Jack first, and solidify it before letting something else happen. Your characters need to be people, not just words on a page. Right now, they feel kind of one-dimensional. Add more little quirks to them to make them feel more real, and maybe toss in a few contradictory traits to make them really seem human. (You'll note that most people you meet contradict themselves often; it's only human to do so.)

Might I also ask where everyone else is? It seems odd that they'd suddenly disappear and leave just one man to guard something that could win them a war. Common sense would dictate that no matter how well-hidden they believed themselves to be, they ought not leave just one man to guard something so important.

Also, if Sophie's foot crashed through rotting, wet wood, I'm surprised she's okay. I'd wager she has at least a wound, and a dozen splinters thrown in. Rotting splinters in the skin = not good. That might lead to infections and a whole other slew of medical problems. Even worse, you said she had debris fall on her, but she seems to be unscathed after that point. It's weird, and off-putting. It broke my suspension of disbelief. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. If you enforce that rule in your writing, it'll be more interesting, and you'll have more conflict that you need. (Right now, it feels as if your story has waned in terms of tension and this really feels more like a filler chapter than anything.)

Azirah

ETA: Forgot to tell you: in first person POV, if your character doesn't hear something, then it doesn't make its way into the narrative. Since your character didn't know what she was saying, then the reader shouldn't know she said, "I'm cold," the first time around. Maybe have him hear a whimper and put that in instead.

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:37 pm
Shady wrote a review...

Hey Ainhe!

Shady here with a review for you this fine afternoon. :)

Since you write like I do, and I'm fairly certain I won't be able to find any grammatical/spelling/punctuation errors, I'm just going to nitpick. ;)

No one would ever look in here. No one would will ever hear her if she tries to screamed for help.
~ Personal opinion-- keep it past tense. Also, nix the second 'ever', since you use it in the previous sentence.

...yeah...that's the only one I got.

I always feel weird when I write a review without several complaints; but I honestly can't find anything else to complain about. I adore this story so far. Keep it up!

Let me know when you get the next chapter up, and I'll review it too. :)

~Shady 8)

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:10 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Oooh, the next chapter. I like this story, yes. I do. 8D

So, hello again. I'm a bit burnt-out from the Review day, so thank God this doens't have really anything bad! No grammar errors, spelling mishaps, or punctuation abuse as far as I can tell. Awesome! I'm loving what you have going so far, we finally know her name and we know she is essential for a rebellion. But a rebellion against who? Why do these men hate her father so much?

Like I said before, bit by bit, some history would be great. Please? I'm dying to know!

Other than that, it's going great so far. I also suggest leaving links to both the previous chapter(s) and the next one(s). Like, go back to chapter one and edit it by including a link at the bottom saying "Here's chapter two!" and such. :3 It really helps, instead of us having to go to your profile, then your portfolio.

Well, that's all. Looking forward to seeing the next installment! Please don't be afriad to either PM me the link or post it on my wall once you finish it. Good luck!

Cheers.~

xx Ariel.

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind