z

Young Writers Society



A New Beginning (Chapter 1)

by BiancaLU


"We ought to be there soon," thought Ashley.

The skies had become dark all of a sudden, and night was well on its way. The curvy roads were difficult to see. And as Chace drove, the corner of her eye caught sight of a deer. It was about to cross the road just in front of them. She took hold of Chace's arm and shouted: STOP! He hadn't seen it, and her shouting scared him, but he pushed on the brakes. As the car came to a sudden stop, they heard a loud crash behind them. Ashley had no time to realize what was happening.

***

She could see angels and clouds, and yes, she knew she was going to that place from where she would never come back. Her body hurt all over. And then her head hit something with a hard thump, and she could see nothing but darkness. Everything seemed to be gone, including her.

She opened her eyes again and this time she could see. The place seemed to be familiar but strange at the same time. She then realized she was in a hospital bed. Her head was throbbing, it felt like a thousand needles were making their way through her skull. When the nurse came in, she was anxious and happy to see that Ashley had awakened. The nurse asked how she felt, and the only response Ashley could utter was that it hurt. Only after she had said that did she remember what had happened. In that moment she recalled how the car had flipped over and the last thing she had heard were the words, "I love you, Ashley!"

"Chase, Chase," she could barely shout the name. She sat up and looked at the nurse for an answer, the pain becoming worse each second.

"Calm down, sweetie. You need to rest."

"Where is he?" She looked into the nurse's eyes, pleading for a response.

The nurse took Ashley's hand and Ashley let her head fall back on the pillow. "He's gone." The nurse paused and after a long while added, "he was very strong."

No, no. The words she had just heard could not have been true. It was probably the headache. It was the throbbing pain in her chest. She had definitely heard wrong, it could not be right.

"Where is he?" She asked again.

The nurse sinply looked at her with pity in her eyes.

Ashley turned her head and saw her father. Tears rolled down her cheeks and the pain went from bad to worse. It hurt so much she could not feel anything else. She remembered how she had told Chase to go faster.

It felt terribly wrong. It had to be a mistake. She passed out thinking of those last words he had said to her in the car, thinking of how she hadn't had the time to say them back to him. And once again she saw clouds and angels, but this time Chase was one of them. He was an angel and he was watching over her. He smiled the same smile she knew since forever. The smile she fell in love with, the dimples she grew to adore. He was beside her. Ashley reached out to him, and for that one moment everything was okay again. For a second the world had paused and they were together.

Was this a dream or was reality a dream? She woke up abruptly, only to see that the happiness had indeed been a dream. Reality sunk in, wounding her like a spear. Her head began to spin and she could barely make out the imagine of her father sitting next to her, holding her hand. When she was a little girl, her father would always sit on the edge of her bed and softly stroke her hand. And no matter how sad or upset she was, it always helped. But now it didn't stop the pain; it didn't stop the aching. She had grown up. She had to learn that life was full of dissapointments, heartache, pain, and death.

She fell asleep once more, and this time she could see the ocean, they were at the beach. It was Chase and her, they were little kids again. Time had gone back, back to those days when they had bruises on their knees and elbows. Back to the carefree days when all they cared about was how long their kite tails were, how fast they could ride their bikes, and how much time they could spend playing each day. They were running on the shore, squishing the sand between their toes, collecting seashells. As the sun began to set, they climbed the rocks and watched the horizon as it changed its colors from yellow to orange and then to crimson red. They tried to touch the sky, but it was just beyond their reach. "Someday, someday, when we get bigger," he said, "we will reach the stars."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
303 Reviews


Points: 11152
Reviews: 303

Donate
Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:33 pm
StoneHeart wrote a review...



Okay, so this was great. This morning for some reason I'm running into GREAT story after GREAT story! This one is up there with the best!

Your grammar is exemplary, not too much detail in your writing, but not too little! You really feel personal with 'her', you can feel who she is! What she thinks! Interior monologue is such a powerful tool and you use it amazingly here!

From what I see!
Two people (I presume fairly young people) who grew up together as friends, and are now very close, got into some car accident because one of them suggested a short cut, and the other died now! You could do better with the nurse's announcement of his death, and maybe a couple little pronouns in there would help!

Anyway! Perfect work! I wish I could write this well, when I read something really good like this I always feel how really far from it's level I am still. It's discouraging! But still great!

Your style is amazing for this as well, it really just fits in with it perfectly, make sure you don't try to change it!

Something a lot of writers do is they try to change how they write in the middle of their book. That never works! If you want to change something really big in a story, it has to be in a different one! You can totally rewrite it if you think it's worth it! But make sure you keep up this style, I rarely see them this good!

Keep writing!

~Black~




BiancaLU says...


Hey Black! Thank you so much. It's really nice of you, and there is no reason to feel discouraged. I'm sure your writing is great, although I haven't had the chance to read it yet. Anyway, thanks again and good luck on your writing! :)



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 3850
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:48 am
Big Brother wrote a review...



Hello!

Sometimes you use more words than you need to and that's breaking your flow a little bit. Let's have a look at your beginning and see what could be cut out.

My eyes opened and I could see again. The place seemed to be familiar to me, but strange at the same time. I then realized I was in a hospital bed. My head was throbbing, it felt like a thousand needles were pushing through my skull.


There's a few things you could do here to make this a more dramatic and easier to read beginning. I will first show you what I would write, and then I will try to explain:

My eyes opened and I could see again. The place was familiar, but it was also strange. A hospital. I was in a hospital bed and my head throbbed like a thousand needles pushing into my skull.

I've not changed many of the words, but now it takes up half a line less and reads more smoothly. It's often best to cut out surplus words like 'just' or 'very' or 'seemed'.


The dialogue in this chapter is very good and there's a lot of strong, raw emotion. I can really feel the pain of the narrator and that's great! (Well not great that she's hurting, but you know what I mean).

What I do think you need though is a few more concrete details. At the moment you have quite a lot of mental and emotional pain, but this girl has been in an accident too. What impact has that had on her body? How does her head feel? Drowsy and foggy because of the drugs, but filled with piercing pain at the same time? If you've not had an operation before yourself, do some research to find out how other people have experienced it and then decide how it is for your character. Everyone reacts differently! I know that I was foggy for a few seconds and then painfully sharp - for some people the fogginess ebbs away and for others it drops off quickly, but resurfaces later, little by little.

This is a good start and a very powerful premise. Keep writing!




BiancaLU says...


Hi Big Brother :) Thanks a lot for the advice, it's been a help for my next chapters! Greatly appreciated.




I don't think so alliyah, but don't quote me on that.
— TheBlueCat