A Rapist's Note.

by elcuidador

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

This might be alittle disturbing for you guys to read. But... I had the urge to write about it. It's a quick one, so I'm expecting a lot of flaws in it. I'm not sure if enjoy the poem is the right thing to say..:/

A Rapist's Note

Tomorrow is the day Death visits my shell,
Oh! I can picture it now, as I sit chained,

Leaning on his sythe, draped in depthless night,
His skull sways along with my emotionless body,
As I smirk by his side enjoying the spectacle,
Glancing towards me, letting out a puff of laughter,
Handing over his dark trident, I blush, honored,
Time halts, a bony smile, a chair suddenly appears,
Politely gesturing to take a seat before he speaks,
I obey, with bat-sharp ears to prepare for command,
"Now tell me son how it felt, for I have witnessed,"
Bloating with pride to tell my tale, my lips part.

Fresh as morning coffee the boy was, I say,
Dazzling, his red stained skin was in dark light,
Ah, yes.. His struggles and screams were tamed,
By displaced knuckles and my strength of course!
Left an obvious imprint in him, and oh how he loved it,
Sparkling, sticky blood covered my legs and basement floor,
Yelling my young friend's name, I can't seem to recall.
As his shouts grew the harder I went, feeding the beast in me,
I knew he wanted more, his tears begged for it silently,
Without hesitation I fulfilled the little boy's dream.
Although, unlike the others he started to gag and twitch,
Then realized, that you, Grimmy, stood before me,
Thrusting, scratching, punching, with all my might until,
The boy's soul twitched itself out of his shell, towards you.

Tomorrow comes and I stand innocently in a room,
Willingly fitting the noose, a smile towards a two-way mirror,
I stare at the trapdoor under me with childish patience.
I see you, Grimmy, at that corner, but who's beside you?
A small fragile body, so familiar, so desirable..
Oh? Can that be my young little friend for more?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:48 am
Payne says...

Well, this is certainly disturbing; you conveyed that remarkably well. I'm not marking this as a review, since I don't really know much about poetry, and the previous reviews covered things quite well.

My only critique is that the rhythm is off at times; I kept getting hung up on certain parts of it, and had to re-read many of the lines.

I didn't really see any problems as far as spelling or punctuation, and it takes guts to write about something like this so candidly.

Keep up the good work!

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:08 pm
Auxiira says...

I love this Toesy!

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 am
AmourDevorant wrote a review...

Ok! You wanted my review, here it is!

First, I will say kudos for you to being so graphic with such a taboo subject. Secondly: you must keep 100 internet feet away from me at all times, from now on.

While it tells a story, there is no rhythm. I think this would have a more powerful effect on the ears and mind if you could find some sort of metre for it.

I think “cell” would be more fitting here than “shell” because of the last stanza. Though, this is assuming that you want to mention that he's been caught-- my mind was just filling in story details before I reached the last stanza, going off the title and Death's scheduled visit. Also, I'm assuming that “shell” refers to body (hence, my idea of an imminent hanging or visit to the electric chair) because of how it is used in the 2nd stanza. Death, in a sense, is already visiting his “shell” because he is in his mind right now. He's thinking of Death, so he is vicariously with Death.

1. Leaning on his sythe, draped in depthless night,
2. His skull sways along with my emotionless body,
3. As I smirk by his side enjoying the spectacle,
4. Glancing towards me, letting out a puff of laughter,
5. Handing over his dark trident, I blush, honored,
6. Time halts, a bony smile, a chair suddenly appears,
7. Politely gesturing to take a seat before he speaks,
8. I obey, with bat-sharp ears to prepare for command,
9. "Now tell me son how it felt, for I have witnessed,"
10. Bloating with pride to tell my tale, my lips part.

1.)Scythe; I don't think the obscure spelling fits in with the tone of the poem. Also, I like the idea of depthless night. It's sensual on the tongue, and a rather accurate discription for total blackness. Night has an inky depth when there is some tiny bit of light to contrast it with. We live in a time and place of ever-present light with our readily available electricity. But complete darkness is almost heavy in its opaqueness.
2.)I don't typically think of a body being emotionless; a face yes, but how is a body moving and still emotionless? A swaying body could mean a mind in rapt daydream, or idle thought. It could mean sorrow, or resignation. Is the body perhaps cold? Or senseless? Or damned, spent, squandered?
3.)I think that this line supports my idea that Death should be visiting his cell. Death has appeared beside him-- so what is the spectacle that the speaker is seeing? And if you disagree with my suggestion of a cell, I think instead of the play-by-play description of actions, you could use this stanza to fill in some details about the setting.
4.)n/a
5.)I would either put a period after “trident,” or reword it so it doesn't sound like the narrator is the one handing over the trident. Also, does he carry a trident or a scythe? Trident isn't an appropriate synonym for scythe. Sceptre could be, though. Or you could simply say “dark blade.” And this is a good place to point out that this stanza needs some revision on the punctuation, because you're breaking everything up with commas. That would be ok if we were swapping from scene to scene to scene, but you're giving me detailed description of actions, so make sure we understand what is going on.
6/7.) I don't think you need to mention a chair appearing, unless there is no excuse for one to be implied by the setting. Maybe you could say that Death gestures for him to kneel? I think that would be an interesting symmetry with the way the man had overpowered a boy in the 2nd stanza.
8.) Is it really necessary to have such sharp hearing in this instance? The two are presumably alone.
9.) I like how Death sounds like an omniscient priest here. His voice stands out from that of the narrator. In my mind my voiced deepened, became more resonant.
10.) I just... don't like the way this is worded. Maybe: “Eager/Happy to tell my tale, my lips part.” If you want to work in the aspect of pride, I would re-word it.

1. Fresh as morning coffee the boy was, I say,
2. Dazzling, his red stained skin was in dark light,
3. Ah, yes.. His struggles and screams were tamed,
4. By displaced knuckles and my strength of course!
5. Left an obvious imprint in him, and oh how he loved it,
6. Sparkling, sticky blood covered my legs and basement floor,
7. Yelling my young friend's name, I can't seem to recall.
8. As his shouts grew the harder I went, feeding the beast in me,
9. I knew he wanted more, his tears begged for it silently,
10. Without hesitation I fulfilled the little boy's dream.
11. Although, unlike the others he started to gag and twitch,
12. Then realized, that you, Grimmy, stood before me,
13. Thrusting, scratching, punching, with all my might until,
14. The boy's soul twitched itself out of his shell, towards you.

1.) Again with the commas! Punctuate this stanza and it will help with rhythm and imagery.
2.)Too verbose, it takes away from the ambiance. You could take out the “was,” or say something like “Dazzling were the red stains in/by dark light.” I don't mean to be telling you what to write down to the T, just showing you the options that pop-up in my mind.
¾.) I love the progression of these 2 lines, though “displaced knuckles” gives the idea that the narrator's knuckles have been messed up or injured from beating the boy so much. If that is what you meant, it's a little out of the realm of possibilities unless the narrator is punching the child in the head or hardest spots of the body. A few good punches to the head would fast-forward us to line 14. He's hurting the boy, torturing him, dragging this out, so perhaps re-think how you describe the blows. Also, line is a little redundant, because the knuckles imply the man's strength, if they are enough to tame the screams and struggles.
5.) If you leave line 4 at “By displaced knuckles.” the rest of the line could carry over to start line 5. “By displaced knuckles. [And] My strength of course / Left an obvious imprint...”
6.) n/a
7.) This line has a subtle brutality in it. The fact that he can't remember the boy's name out of all the other details makes the boy seem like just a toy, replaceable. But something about this is, again, unwieldy.
8.) I'd add a comma after “grew,” and a period at the end of the line. Also, does this come before the boys screams are tamed? First he's screaming, then he's quieted, then screaming again?
9.) You could drop the “for it,” it would improve the rhythm.
10.) n/a
11.) n/a
12.) I'd say “realizing,” to keep the tense consistent. I'm not sure how I feel about him calling Death “Grimmy.” On one hand, it has a sicko's playfulness. On the other hand it just sounds silly lol.
13/14.) I like the parralled use of “twitching.” :D nicely done

1. Tomorrow comes and I stand innocently in a room,
2. Willingly fitting the noose, a smile towards a two-way mirror,
3. I stare at the trapdoor under me with childish patience.
4. I see you, Grimmy, at that corner, but who's beside you?
5. A small fragile body, so familiar, so desirable..
6. Oh? Can that be my young little friend for more?

1.)He's anything but innocently standing. Since he is sentenced to death, his guilt has already been decided. Maybe change this line to putting the narrator in his cell before being taken out.
2.)And this line is unrealistic. They don't let you fit your own noose, a prisoner is alread bound (and black-bagged) before the hanging-- it's meant to show a little compassion for the person about to be executed: they don't have the option to fight, and they at least can't see anything.
3.)Again, he probably wouldn't have his vision unless this were some sort of old school hanging-as-an-example type of thing. His twisted, purple face would shock any watchers more than the body.
4/5.) I do love the sick way this ends, as if the rapist is going to pursue the boy even after death; something about their souls being bound... Very, very spooky touch.

Toe says...

I need to work on my free-verse.. I'd just like to comment about the first, second, and last stanzas. I wrote 'my shell' as in my body, easily replaced and shed.
'His skull sways along with my emotionless body' I am already dead, hung in the air, swaying.. It's sort of a thing where I look into the future and hint the reader of the upcoming events.
Last stanza, the word innocently is used to show how the Rapist thought he was literally innocent of everything he has done.
Thanks for the great review.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:02 am
dogs wrote a review...

Hello there Toes! Dogs here with your review as requested :). I just realized that your name actually is "Toe," but I think "Toes" just rings better, do you mind if I call you that? Anywho, on to ze review. I think this is certainly some of the best writing I've read from you, although I haven't had the pleasure of reading much of your writing unfortunately. But from what I have reviewed this is certainly your best piece, the topic is a great one to write about. It's unexpected and really gives a grant demented twist in your writing in this piece. It was an excellent touch calling the Grim Reaper "Grimmy," just in that one little pet name you give your main narrator lots of character. Anywho, I think where you run into trouble is with some of your long lines and your word choice. Let's dive in now shall we?

That second stanza is great, really excellent imagery and a wonderful way to bring the reader into the piece. (Stanza after the first two lines), my only complaint is that you really hurt yourself a little with making that stanza one giant run on sentence consisting of only commas. It makes it sound choppy with a "and than this happened... and than... and than..." sound. Of course I'm over exaggerating, but I would suggest that you add in the periods here at the end of the second line, fifth line, sixth line, and seventh line of that second stanza. It'll read smoother.

Now in the second line your explanation is excellent, some great writing you use here. I would suggest, however, that whenever the man is talking put his dialogue in italics. It will make it a little easier to read.

"Dazzling, his red stained skin was in dark light,"

Because you're writing is pretty darn good in this piece, I have to get a little more nit picky. In this line you should use stronger words instead of "red" and "dark." Ebony is one of my favorite words to use in place of "black" or "dark." Also, perhaps say "crimson" or some other blood like color instead of "red."

"Thrusting, scratching, punching, with all my might until,"

This line really insinuates that 'Grimmy' is putting most of the effort into taking the boy's spirit away. I would suggest rephrasing this to something more chilling, such as having Death just stand there and as the boy is brutally abused he'll walk away with his soul when it's time.

Now the ending is excellent, a well done way of creating a huge chill on the reader in your poetry. The only really glaring issue is that this piece, with the longer lines, sounds more like prose instead of verse. Seems to lean a little more to short story instead of poetry, I'm not entirely sure what is the best way to fix this issue. Perhaps try omitting all useless words in your lines. Just try to shorten them up a tad bit more for your next poem. Good writing here my friend, I enjoyed reading this piece. Let me know if you ever need a review. Keep up the good work!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032

Cole says...

I'll review this later. However, all I can say right now is this:

Holy crap! This was incredible.

littleauthor says...

I am in love with this! The character that you choose for this is just amazing. This really made me think and I just couldn't stop reading it. It's Gruesome and that's what makes it amazing.

ka67 wrote a review...

Oh wow, do I love a good and gruesome story? :D It is written perfectly and I love the character, the way everything is worded and just the utter perfection of the story. The Poem is like something original,since most come from the pitiful victim point of view but from the rapists... it is a riveting tale! I loved the way he talked to the Grim Reaper, am I correct?, and how it seems like he really believes there is nothing wrong with seeing such things.

I would love some more work and I think the idea can maybe be expanded because of so much possibility but even the way it is currently is impressive! I'd love to read more of such work ;)

Toe says...

Thanks a lot! I'm happy you all enjoyed it.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:53 am
therealme says...

This is amazing! I loved every bit of it! The way you write- oh my, it can't be explained, but it is pure genius! :D I couldn't stop reading.

Toe says...

Wow. Thanks a lot, I'm happy you liked it. :D

Asma wrote a review...

WOW!
The poem was heart touching....i really could understand the meaning in every word.
It was a good topic to write about, i really liked the way you wrote it.

But, the only advice i can give you is - many things had to be read again and again for the real meaning to be understood, so next time just be more careful in explaining things or putting them in a more clearer way....

That's all for this one. Keep writing, you really have talent and all the best for future work!

-Asma

Toe says...

That's the fun part xD making it unclear to force my reader to reread the disturbing parts xD thanks

KrystaG says...

I absolutely love the details

KrystaG says...

I absolutely love the details

Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.
— Michael McClary