Freedom of Forgotta Chapter 1.

by RedApril29th

“Forgotta!” My teacher, Mr. Henley shouted out as I was walking away. I turned back to face him, focusing on the steady beat of the rain on my umbrella. I didn’t really want to hear his words, hear him tell me everything was going to be okay. I didn’t want his sympathy. Each droplet made a gentle tapping sound against my umbrella, quiet and steady.

“Yes, Mr. Henley?” I forced a smile onto my lips, though I just wanted to scream or shout. I wanted to tell him to leave me alone, that I was fine and that I didn’t need him. But I knew he was only trying to help me.

Mr. Henley huffed and puffed as he finally reached me. He’d spotted me in the halls inside the school and I worked hard on avoiding him. Apparently not hard enough. “Forgotta, thank God I caught up to you. Didn’t you hear me shouting for you?”

“No, I must have been lost in thought. I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine. Listen, I know that you must be feeling awful but I want you to know that you have people here who care about you, if you ever need us. You’re such a talented young student who is faced with a terrible tragedy. I believe you can pull through this, you’re very strong. If you ever need me, I’m here for you.”

I sighed. I wished he’d leave me alone. I wished that I could scream at him and tell him he had no idea how I felt, and that if he did, he wouldn’t be standing here trying to make me feel better. “Thank-you, Mr. Henley, but I really have to go. My dad is coming to pick me up in about thirty minutes.” I turned with-out waiting for his response and quickly walked away. Boys turned their heads to look away as I walked by, the girls huddled closer to their clique and whispered as they stared towards me. They acted as if I was a freak. Maybe I was, though? Did I even care?

When I finally arrived back to my old house, my dad was already sitting in the drive-way, on the steps. His eyes were red and puffy, indicating that he’d been crying. I hadn’t cried yet, I wouldn’t allow myself. Sure, it was an awful thing that happened, but I should be grateful that I was still here.

“Forgotta, are your things ready?” He smiled towards me, a fake one. It hurt to see the pain hidden in his eyes, tears swelling up and then disappearing. I trained my eyes on the ground. I couldn’t look at his eyes; it hurt too much to see it.

“Yes, let me just go in and grab them.” I made my way inside of the house that I had been raised in. It was empty now, the furniture gone. It didn’t look like a home anymore. It was lonesome. I smiled as I remembered running through the kitchen with a batch of cookies, trying to keep them away from my mother. She had been so frustrated that day. I could see so many memories in this house, from my child-hood.

I made my way up the stairs, slowly. I wasn’t looking forward to walking past that room. The room I spent so many stormy nights huddled up in, cowering under the blankets as my mother comforted me and told me stories to make me laugh. I remember she’d pretend to be a monster, doing creepy things with her fingers, wiggling them in my face. We’d both laugh together as my fear subsided. I knew I’d never hear her resplendent laugh again. I’d never see that spark in her eyes when she looked at me. I’d miss all those things she’d tell me when she was mad at me, or the songs she’d make me sing along to.

I approached the door. I could see it was wide open, from down the hall. I had to pass it to get to my room. How could I stare into that room that marked the void in my life? The emptiness to my heart? I took a deep breath as I walked towards the door. I could almost hear her endearing voice echoing in my ears. I took another step, almost losing my breath.

“I wake up the morning cup of coffee in my hand and a song in my head,” her voice rang out. I could feel the tears swell in my eyes. Another step.

“Outside it's pouring, I heard the weather man say that I should stay in,” I could hear our laughter, perfectly combined as she sang. Closing my eyes, I took a few more steps, more lyrics flowing with each foot pushing into the beige carpet.

“There ain't no sunshine but it's all right ain't no blue sky's but it's feels right, I'll get the rain on my skin I'm ready for the day to begin.” I was at the door now. I felt as if it were trying to suck me in, take me away with her. I was tempted to go through that frame, set my soul free with hers.

I opened my eyes, staring into the room. The room was completely empty besides a large crimson stained spot on the carpet. I sighed, recollecting the pain I’d seen in her eyes when I’d ran into the room moments after the gun-shot. She was struggling to hold on, tears slowly cascading down her cheeks. I held her hand, crying, screaming, begging for her not to leave me. As she tried to speak, all was lost. The spark slipped from her light green eyes, her chest covered with blood. I’d lost the one person who loved me most the day a man had broken in and shot her. I hadn’t seen him completely. I only saw a dark figure sprinting down the stairs, a black hood pulled up. I had no clue who he might be, had it not been for the dog-tag styled necklace he’d dropped, with the initials “D.J” with “Yellow” carved below. I wore that necklace every day since her death, my way of remembering her killer. I’d find him one day and I’d take him down.

I fingered the dog-tags on my neck for a moment before tucking them down into my shirt. I carried on into my room, grabbing my bags. This was the last time I’d be in this house. All of my memories of Karen Clark would be lost within this once upon a time home. It would never be mine again.

My father waited patiently on the steps for me. He smiled wryly, his eyes refusing to meet mine. He didn’t talk much as we both climbed into the car. I sighed as we began pulling out from the drive-way of Lazybranch Street, house 106. A tear almost fell from my eye.

Almost.

You almost had me, Mom.

Deadman wrote a review...

Time to hit you with a review! First off I'd like to say that this story was very interesting. However I figured out the plot really quick. Drag it out more, make me lean into my computer screen to read it. I see you attempted some sensory words, but they just could use some more work. I would comment on your commas, but it's no secret that I'm not very good at them. However, I did see a small mistake at the start.

"“Forgotta!” My teacher, Mr. Henley shouted out as I was walking away." When reading this at first it seemed right. Now I'm not the best at English, but what I do know is that you need to do some switching. "“Forgotta!” Mr. Henley, my teacher, shouted out as I was walking away." That is how I was shown for a phrase like that.

That's as far as my English knowledge can take me on this. However, as others before me have stated your transitions need work. You go from talking about the rain to talking about your teacher, and back to the rain. That doesn't flow well, so try to clean that up.

As I said before, elaborate! It will draw in readers even more. Try to twist the plot it's very familiar, but BlackNether already stated this so I won't rant about that for too long. Actually this is about the end of my rant. The story was good, it had me interested and I would love to see more from you in the future. Keep on writing!

XD
Deadman

RedApril29th says...

Thank you very much! And yes, I know about the rain part. I did it on purpose. It's what she's trying to think about, in an attempt to focus on anything but her former teacher.

StoneHeart wrote a review...

Okay, this really seems great.

BUT!

It does have a couple problems, first, I can't really till if 'I' is a girl or a boy, I'll assume a girl because if the name. But it isn't a really common one so I can't exactly be sure. It'd be a good idea to straighten that out. One tiny word in there at some spot would be all you need.

Okay, a warning here, it's good to have your characters be tough, but remember, if you try to make them too tough, they seem dumb. Humans have emotions whether they like it or not, they can control if they show them or not, they can control how much these emotions affect them. If you're not careful with how tough you make your characters they have an annoying way of just going wrong.

I really am liking the idea behind it though, your grammar is quite nice, your style too. You don't quite put too much info (Too little for me ><), but not too much.

The idea isn't, ahem, exactly original, but you can change that. Remember though, your first chapter can be your most important.

Say a person reads this, it seems un-original, boring, and nothing special, so they don't read the next chapter.

Now that may not be fair, the fourth or fifth chapter's may introduce something totally original!
If you are planning on putting something original in here, then I have to warn you, hint to it early on, otherwise people won't get hooked on the story quickly enough.

Anyway, I'll leave the nit-piking to someone else.

Good luck!

~Black~

RedApril29th says...

Thanks! Her emotions come out a bit later. Right now she's in a numb stage, still unable to fully accept that her mother is truly gone. I believe in the next chapter I'll have it hit her. Thank you for your critique. (:

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:09 am
nmk1128 wrote a review...

I think you should use more figurative language - similes, metaphors, etc; it adds depth to the work and allows the reader to visualize everything a lot better. Also, I think your transitions are a bit choppy; for example, when you jump from listening to the rain drops on your umbrella to being in a school hallway and then to the front of your house, there's no real indication of transition. However, if you're going for subtle transitions then I would suggest maybe a closing sentence to the paragraph that kind of hints to one, a transition. My last critique is that you create new paragraphs when you don't need to (e.i the paragraph starting with "I made..." and "I approached..." can be one paragraph.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana