Language

The Dark Secret - Chapter 1

by therealme

Hey guys I'm kinda new to this site. This is the first time I've ever written in third person perspective so don't be too harsh haha xD

All day Valerie Dark begged herself not to cry. Today was her last day at Lacewood High School – the last day she would ever see her friends. She knew she was going to miss the place to pieces. Her mother, Susan Dark, wanted them to leave Lacewood Valley for who knows what reason. Valerie was perfectly happy at the school she was in now and didn’t see why her mother would want her to be anywhere else. Tomorrow they would be packing their bags and heading out of Lacewood Valley forever. Whenever Valerie asked her mother where they were going, she ignored the question until Valerie finally gave up. All Valerie knew was that they were moving a long way away from home. She was already missing Lacewood and they hadn’t even left yet.

Valerie was walking down one of the school hallways with her best friend, Alison Hathaway. Ali was trying very hard to be cheerful and bubbly around her but Valerie could see the same sadness she felt in Ali’s eyes. “I’ll call you like, every day and keep you up to date with all the dirty gossip flying around the school. I promise,” said Ali.

Alison and Valerie shared the same English class together and they both walked into the classroom at the same time as the bell rang. The midday sun shone warmly outside the classroom in a beautiful blue sky. Valerie cursed the sun for daring to shine on probably one of the worst days of her life. She and Ali sat side by side near the middle of the classroom and watched Mr. Betley enthuse about the next topic that they – or should she say the rest of the class – would be learning: Shakespeare. This only made Valerie more miserable. She loved poetry. She loved her friends, and she loved this school. Now she had to leave them all behind. Why did she have to leave them all behind? Valerie was furious at her mother. She could feel her tears about to escape their containers and blinked rapidly, looking down at the desk and letting her long, straight black hair fall in front of her to hide her face. Valerie felt Ali take her hand and squeeze it. Valerie tried to swallow the lump of emotion creeping up her throat. Above everything else it was Ali she would miss the most. They had been friends ever since the start of high school and have been inseparable ever since. How could Valerie ever survive without her? Instead of focusing on her own life she let herself absorb Mr. Betley’s words as he read passionately from Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar.

“We at the height are ready to decline.

There is a tide in the affairs of men

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;

Omitted, all the voyage of their life

Is bound in shallows and in miseries.

On such a full sea are we now afloat,

And we must take the current when it serves,

Or lose our ventures.”

Jet Dark was just as reluctant to leave as Valerie was. Her older brother – with the jet black hair that had given him his name – stood in the kitchen with his arms crossed and an expression determined to put a stop to this injustice. She knew he would be more successful at trying to freeze Hell than to change their mother’s mind, and Valerie was pretty sure deep down he knew it too. That didn’t stop him from trying though. Nothing had ever stopped him from trying anything.

“I’m not going,” he announced firmly, like he had a choice. “Imagine how Chelsea will feel once I tell her I have to ‘leave and never come back’.” He quoted the last part from yesterday morning when Susan had said it to them and unleashed the shocking news to their ears for the first time. Jet had translated her words afterwards, which Valerie had found bitterly amusing: ‘Hey, I’ve got a brilliant idea! Let’s all fall off the face of the earth and leave the one place we call home. Don’t worry though, I’ll make sure all your happiness is destroyed by forcing you to leave all your friends and popularity behind so we can travel merrily to the middle of freaking nowhere and face social suicide for being the new kids on the block. Now doesn’t that sound just superb?’

Valerie noted how Jet said Chelsea’s name with very little interest. Chelsea was Jet’s ‘girlfriend’ or as Valerie preferred to call the ‘slut of the week’. She knew Jet really didn’t give a damn about Chelsea. He was just looking for more reasons to convince their mum that they all should stay in Lacewood. Though Valerie wasn’t at all impressed that Jet could be so careless about Chelsea, as if she were nothing more than an object, Valerie didn’t mind that he was fighting for the same thing she was.

Susan didn’t reply to Jet as she dished out dinner and placed it on the table. She didn’t even glance at him. It was like she was in her own little world. There was something different about her posture – more tense and jumpy. This morning she had nearly jumped out of her skin when the doorbell had rung, but she relaxed after looking through the blinds of one of the front windows and seeing a little girl with a box of cookies.

“Are we moving because I’m flunking out in all my classes?” Jet asked.

Susan was quiet, apart from the sound of her chair sliding out from the table as she sat down. Wow, she was acting really weird.

Jet carefully sat down after her. Valerie still leaned against the kitchen bench watching the one-sided conversation. “Is it because of that police incident? You know I promised I would never do drugs again,” said Jet. He picked up his fork slowly, not meeting his mum’s eyes. As heartless as Jet could be sometimes Valerie knew he felt guilty for taking those drugs. After Dad left two years ago, Jet was devastated and gravitated towards drugs and alcohol to 'fix the hurt'. He started failing his classes and hanging out with the wrong people. It had broken Susan’s heart when the police had come to the front door one night and told her Jet had been caught in possession of several illegal drugs. Valerie knew he would never intentionally want to let their mother down, for fear of losing her too. Jet looked up after a few seconds of more silence from Susan. “Mum, why aren’t you answering?”

Those words seemed to snap Susan out of her trance and she blinked twice. “Sorry. No, it’s nothing to do with either of you,” she said, but she sounded uncertain.

Not feeling in the mood to eat anything Valerie turned her feet around and started moving towards the stairs.

“Valerie, where are you going?” her mum asked with a concerned look.

“I’m not that hungry,” Valerie replied without looking back. She headed up to her room.

Cardboard boxes took up the majority of the room space, only reminding Valerie that tomorrow this wouldn’t be her room, or her house. The night sky outside her window was a deep velvet sea of stars. The moon was new and darkness concealed the outdoors. Valerie let out a sigh and walked over to the only piece of furniture apart from her bed that hadn’t been packed away yet, the dresser. Its surface was cluttered with small snow globes that friends had given her at Christmas time, a vase full of nearly-dead flowers alongside a small mirror, some scattered bobby pins and the clear crystal Gran had given her before she’d died. Valerie picked up the crystal and held it in her hand. It was about the size of her fist. It had a rough texture and didn’t look all that special or of any value, yet she had kept it for Gran’s sake. Gran had thought it was important. Valerie took the crystal over to the boxes and placed it in one of them to take to wherever the hell they were going. She considered going to sleep even though it was only about six o-clock, and she wasn’t tired. She didn’t see the point in staying up just so her thoughts could remind her over and over again that she was leaving tomorrow and that this was her last night in Lacewood Valley. She went over to the dresser to change into her sleepwear, catching a quick glance at her fair skin and sad blue eyes in the small mirror. That’s when the doorbell rang downstairs.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:00 am
Searria H. wrote a review...

Well, I couldn't recover the review. I'll try to reenact it as best I can. :) It looks like you already edited for all of the punctuation I pointed out, so I'll skip over that. So...speed review recap, here we go!

Hi, therealme! Sea here as promised. :)

You did a nice job with the third person. It was really smart to stick with one point of view. Trying to switch around between points of view can get a little messy. I applaud you for writing in third person while still letting Valerie's voice slip through. You deserve an elephant! :elephant:

Grammar/Nitpicks:
Punctuation, sentence structure, blee blee blah blah... ;)

General Comments:
:arrow: Show don't tell. A lot of writers struggle with this concept. Let the reader come to their own conclusions based on the interactions between characters.

:arrow: Your characters are very well developed. Yay!

Okay, so I know this is really watered down, but if you remember anything from the original that I missed, just let me know and I'll slip it in here.
Again, I'm really sorry about that. :oops:
-Sea-

therealme says...

A thousand thank yous for the helpful punctuation improvements! I'm so delighted that you enjoyed my chapter and thanks for the elephant haha ;) you're really good at reviews. I love that you make your reviews light and fun so as to not destroy the writers confidence. wow, i feel like i'm reviwing your review now hahaha what? anyway thanks xx

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:07 am
justtheboy14 wrote a review...

Yay, someone new here too! Alright, this is the first site review I'll give, ever. So let's go!

Your third person storytelling is impressive. Did you say it was your first time? Well, not bad for a first-timer; you tell it as someone who's already used to doing this would.
Well, that's my opinion anyways.

I like the insight into our teenagers Valerie and Jet, and their personal lives. Some slice of life could be used as a good segueway into the path your story wants to take. At the same time, you already helped me latch onto and empathize with a character or two early on. You made me care about what's happening to them, and that's good.
You could keep this strength up, and sink into some background retelling or important details about Valerie that will be crucial in the story later on. It's just my suggestion though.

Basically, I find your first chapter awesome! You have lovely character development, and I commend you for being able to maintain my interest consistently, up to the last part. You made me eager to read the next chap, even, and captured my interest with that "doorbell ringing" bit.
I'm hooked now. Well, looking forward to getting to know Valerie better!
Don't be too harsh with my review >< xD Also, could you review me in turn? I hope you find "Moonlight" interesting. Well, see ya!

therealme says...

Many thanks for your review! I'm pleased that you liked it and am relieved that i didn't stuff up too badly on the whole 'third person' thing. I have been reading a book recently that is in third person so I'm sort of trying to learn tips from that haha. I would love to read your story and review it! xx

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:07 pm
100xstupid wrote a review...

Here's a review, just for you :)

First of all, I'm going to go through and pick out any little things you way want to tweak, then I'll get on to the proper review:

"It is extremely dangerous if fallen into the wrong hands. You must keep it a secret.”

You mentioned that third person isn't your usual format, so I thought I'd point out that "fallen" here isn't the best way to say what you're trying to say. I'd go with "if it falls into the wrong hands", it just sounds a little better to say.

"Her Gran’s usual smiling face was pale as a ghost."

The word "usual" seems a little out of place here, perhaps usually would go better, or maybe just rephrase the sentence to make it clearer.

"Chelsea was Jett’s ‘girlfriend’ or as Valerie preferred to call the ‘slut of the week’."

I think there's a typo in Jet's name here.

Anywho, I thought this was a good attempt, especially as you're not used to the format. Personally, I wasn't sure about the name "Jet Dark", but as it's a novel I feel inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt, as there may be a good reason for it later on. Sometimes it felt a little like the reader was being fed information, rather than allowing things to be revealed. When I say this, I have both the admission of Jet's drug abuse and their father's death in mind, as they felt like they'd be forced in a little.

The only other thing I noticed that I wasn't sure about was how Valerie interacted with her Gran's crystal. The prologue is clearly intended to set it up as a really important object in her family history and I assume it will have a huge part in the plot. But dying words are powerful things, and I feel like Valerie might care a little more for it. I just mean that the language she used to describe it seemed pretty neutral considering the circumstances:

"Gran had thought it was important."

This suggests that maybe Valerie doesn't think it's important, which seems unlikely as Valerie does not come across as a cold character, based upon her reaction to having to leave her friends.

Anyway, this was good work and I'll be interested to see how this progresses. Keep it up, and feel free to let me know if you have any questions about my review.

On a side note, welcome to YWS, I hope you find our community as welcoming and friendly as I did when I first joined. Keep writing! :)

therealme says...

Thanks for your review i appreciate it very much. Yes there are a few typos in the chapter haha and i will fix them. i am going to get rid of the prologue completely and maybe put something like it later on in the story. Valerie didn't really like/know her gran so but she liked her enough to keep the crystal - partly because she is curious about why a rock could be so special to her gran and partly because she would feel guilty for not keeping it. so that's why valerie seemed a bit 'cold' towards her gran in that part. thank you again for putting time into reading my chapter! you're the best xx

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:14 pm
beckiw wrote a review...

Hey therealme!

As promised I popped by to have a look at your chapter :)

So let's get down to business!

Personally I don't think you need this prologue. It's so small and doesn't really do anything other than give the reader a massive tip off that this crystal is going to play a huge role within the plot. That it's going to wind up having some sort of mystical powers and so forth. I think it's not a good idea to tip the reader off so soon about this because it kind of just put me off. There's no challenge in the story if you do that, nothing for the reader needs to work out. I can effectively go - Ok so that crystal is going to hold some sort of power, perhaps there will be a secret organisation or magic group or something that her grandma was a part of and now Valerie is going to be thrust into and they're moving away because some bad person is now after them and that's why her Mum is so jumpy.

Do you see what I mean? I feel like I've pretty much riddled the plot out in my head just from this first chapter. Now of course because I'm a writer I'm not your typical audience but if someone can figure out that much then what's the point in them reading further?

I get that you were trying to create a hook to pull the reader in and that's good but it's just not really working here. You're actually making the story less interesting rather than more interesting. If it were me...I'd leave the prologue out and drop information about the crystal in throughout the story. Sort of like how you have it now when she looks at the crystal in her room. That's good because you've got a hint there but you not putting a crap ton of emphasis on it.

Some other smaller things to think about now.

There was quite a disruptive jump between the classroom and Valerie being at home. It was slightly disconcerting because I was like 'Wait...is this Jet's perspective...no it's Valerie's...oh wait...is she home now? Wasn't she just in class?' So perhaps try to smooth out that transition a little. Maybe show a little of her leaving school or even just coming home and finding her Mum and brother in the kitchen.

Another one is that, yes this is third person, but it's from Valerie's perspective and having Valerie refer to her Mum as Susan in her mind is really weird...

Next is that you need to switch up how you start your sentences a little. For example -

'Valerie was furious at her mother. Valerie could feel her tears about to escape their containers and blinked rapidly, looking down at the desk and letting her long, straight black hair fall in front of her to hide her face. Valerie felt Ali take her hand and squeeze it. Valerie tried to swallow the lump of emotion creeping up her throat.'

Ok, so you started 4 sentences with Valerie there. That gets a little repetitive after a while. As a rule when I write, I try to tend only to use a character's name once a paragraph and be careful not to fall into the trap of just switching to using She for the beginning of each sentence.

Let's see if I can show you what I mean - 'Valerie was furious at her mother. She could feel her tears about to escape their containers and blinked rapidly, looking down at the desk and letting her long, straight black hair fall in front of her to hide her face. That was when she felt Ali take her hand, squeezing it tightly in hers and she tried to swallow the lump of emotion creeping up in her throat.'

Those were the things that jumped out at me! Otherwise this is quite well written. I did fear for a moment that it was going to slide into teenage drama/adventure but I think the introduction of Jet stopped it from doing that. I found him interesting and also the thought of a dynamic between a brother and sister in an adventure to be an interesting prospect.

And I wanna know who's at the dooooor! I'll have a look at Chapter 2 later :)

Hope that was helpful! Keep writing and let me know if you have any questions.

Bex x

therealme says...

Haha thanks a lot for this review! It means a lot to me. I respect what you have said and suggested and will definitely change it to make it more interesting and the plot less obvious. I think I'll get rid of the prologue I think that's a good idea. Thank you so much! xx

I wouldn't think "impossible" was even in your vocabulary.
— Sharpay Evans, High School Musical