z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Indefinitely human

by Nightfallwriter


Body free but a trapped mind
the deepest pitfall of humankind.
Words coated with sugar but poisonous inside,
as governments fall and rise with the tide.

What once was will always be
the same lock is opened by the same key.
Past and future are reached through one door,
the peaceful unity between rich and poor.

But to confide in truth
is to be shielded by a crumbling roof.
The longer it lasts the more it breaks,
we destroy our shelter at a human pace.





I  apologise for any language errors, English is not my native language :)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:41 pm
GorgeousArizona says...



I adore this!
Keeping the rhyming pattern simple yet strong made it even more enticing.
Overall great poem!



Random avatar


Thank you!



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 366
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:36 am
Gravitaxis says...



I must admit this is an awesome poem. It really did touch me.



Random avatar


Thank you! :)



Random avatar

Points: 2227
Reviews: 157

Donate
Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:10 am
arianaSarroyo says...



This was wonderfully written, poem and simple.

I don't have much to say that I don't like.



Random avatar


Thank you! :)



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:04 am
Shady wrote a review...



Hey Fall!

Shady here with a review for your lovely poem! :)

I liked it. Short, sweet, and to the point. My kind of poem. ;)

I liked the emotion and power behind this piece. It captures how I feel very nicely. Your rhythm and rhyme-scheme is very nice...except for your last stanza. I can't say I'm digging it. I think you just broke the rhyme.

I mean "truth" and "roof" kind of rhyme, and "breaks" and "pace" do too-- but not as well as "door" and "poor" do, and it feels like a bit of a let down after such a strong, obvious rhyming of earlier in the poem.

Your language was wonderful, my dear. If you hadn't said so, I never would've guessed that English wasn't your native. You do very well with it.

However, I'm strong in the technical/grammatical side of writing-- and I'd be willing to go over any of your other pieces, if you want me to.

If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask.


Keep Writing!

~Shady 8)



Random avatar


Thank you for your review! I am glad you liked the poem. I will try to work on my rhyming, thank you for pointing it out. :)



User avatar
662 Reviews


Points: 52441
Reviews: 662

Donate
Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:10 am
dogs wrote a review...



Hello there Nightfall! Dogs here with your review. Alrighty, to start things off I'm impressed that you write something that isn't in your native language. Certainly not an easy task, and this poem is pretty good. If I may ask what is your 'native language?' Just out of curiosity. Anywho on to ze review. To start things off I think this piece is good but you can add more to it. There are some key lines that are a little ambiguous and make this poem difficult to get at the end. Let's dive in now shall we?

Interesting start, again a little ambiguous, especially with the: "Words coated with sugar but poisonous inside," bit. I think more because of the fact that you never specify who is saying the sugar coated words. To go along with the theme of governments, perhaps state that politicians are stating the poisonous sugar coated words. Whatever works.

"the same lock is opened by the same key."

I don't really see the purpose of this line other than the fact that it's used for the rhyme with "be" and sounds cool. You're rhyming is pretty spot on, unlike a lot of the rhyming poetry I read, but it's a line like this that confuses me, because the line doesn't seem to add anything to the poem or do anything other than state the obvious.

"the peaceful unity between rich and poor."

This line doesn't really connect to your poem at all when I read through it. Reason being is because in history when have the rich and the poor ever gotten along? In any history of any nation. The only time I think that the rich and poor get along a little bit is in communism in which case there is no rich and poor, every one is equal. The upper and lower classes really don't get along perfectly well because they usually never interact with eachother. Rich thinking the poor are lazy and perhaps unfortunate and usually not making moves to help the poor. The poor thinking the rich are stuck up money nabbers who do anything for a couple more bucks. So than this line doesn't make sense in the context of the point you're making with your poem.

All and all a nice poem, a bit of a paradox in the ending but well written apart from the confusing bits. I enjoyed reading it and I hope my comments were helpful. Let me know if you ever need a review. Keep up the good work!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032



Random avatar


Hello!

First of all, thanks for your kind and concrete review, I appreciate it a lot.
My native language is German, however, I have been living in Sweden for the past 5 years, so I am fluent in both. :) I'm working a lot with my English, so I am happy that so many people seem to think it's brilliant.

I can see where you're going with the points you made and I will try working on as I go along with my writing. :) You see, as much as I appreciate criticism, reviews and comments, I like to keep the poems in the very first version that I wrote them in - they somehow capture feelings better than if I would go back and revise. Even though, especially in this case, many lines actually don't make much sense...
Thanks again for your review!




There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
— Arthur C. Clarke